PDA

View Full Version : Ford Fiesta XR4 released

GreyRex
5th June 2007, 11:38 AM
Just had a look on the Ford website and saw the Fiesta XR4 is due for release in June. Haven't seen one on the road yet, but you can finally look at its Aus specs now. How's 2.0L, 110kW, 190NM, ESP, 6 airbags, half leather interior, air con, 6 CD stacker, 17" rims, optional GT stripes and 6 colours sound? All for $24,990!! Of course it doesn't come with cruise control (what is with Ford Europe thinking that's acceptable) and that pretty tacky looking dashboard. But for a pretty decent entry level warmish hatch, I don't reckon that's too bad. Not a bad replacement for our Barina SRi's:)

Dee
5th June 2007, 11:49 AM
i dont want to say it... but it doesnt look too bad....

EL BURITO
5th June 2007, 11:55 AM
http://www.ford.com.au/servlet/ContentServer?cid=1163398276566&pagename=FOA%2FDFYPage%2FDefault1024&c=DFYPage
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f95/WA04SXi/fiesta_xr4_hi_03.jpg

Mainframe_Module
5th June 2007, 12:08 PM
there was one out the front of the ford dealership in rockdale thismorning when i drove past it.

too bad the interior is FUGLY. :\

GreyRex
5th June 2007, 12:13 PM
there was one out the front of the ford dealership in rockdale thismorning when i drove past it.

I know exactly what you mean. What is it with both the XR4 and XR5 both looking really good on the outside, but being a real disappointment on the inside... where you spend all your time!! I reckon the overall package might be good enough for people to overlook that fact though

Calibrated
5th June 2007, 12:17 PM
Guys, we have had this car in SA for nearly 4 years now...
Its not that special,
if you want to know all the ins and outs for the car.
http://www.fordstownerssa.co.za/

bornwild
5th June 2007, 03:45 PM
Great little hatch, gives the VW Polo GTi a beating when it comes to performance/price ratio. I'd buy one if I was in the market for a hot little hatch.

Calibrated
5th June 2007, 04:35 PM
Great little hatch, gives the VW Polo GTi a beating when it comes to performance/price ratio. I'd buy one if I was in the market for a hot little hatch.

Price: Yes
Performance: No, but only slightly.

But i'd still take it above a Slolo GTi

Greggy
5th June 2007, 07:03 PM
Fiesta ST (aka the XR4) - 2 litre 150BHP, zero to 60(MPH) 7.7 sec

Polo GTi (Which incidentally has a turbo and still ONLY pushes 150BHP) has the same power figure, but hasnt got any other info (zero to 60 dash)

Preference would be the f**d !! - specially when its over £2k GBP CHEAPER than the polo...

the ford is just mor in your face - and like the Golf, the polo is looking very samey !

Dee
5th June 2007, 07:04 PM
i'd have to drive them both to pick. but i'd prefer the ford so far

bornwild
5th June 2007, 07:18 PM
Price: Yes
Performance: No, but only slightly.

But i'd still take it above a Slolo GTi

Well, let's suppose that the HSV GTS is a performance car, at 307kW and 1900kg mass.

This gives us a power/weight ratio of 0.16kW/kg

The Fiesta XR4 comes in at 110kW and 1050kg, this gives us a power/weight ratio of 0.11kW/kg.

Not bad performance for $25,000, don't ya' reckon?

Polo GTi has a ratio of 0.09 at $27,000 and is built in South Africa, whereas the Fiesta is built in Germany.

Ford Fiesta XR4 anytime, thanks. If the Opel Corsa OPC was to be imported here then, hehehe ...different story :D

Opel Corsa OPC>Ford Fiesta ST>VW Polo GTi>Renault Clio Sport

The Renault would be 1st if it wasn't for the poor quality of French cans...pardon me, cars.

jimeegee
5th June 2007, 07:18 PM
Can't wait for someone to tune the XR4...should be a beast. They look great in white (for what it is anyway...)

Red AH SRI T
5th June 2007, 07:37 PM
I saw a whole heap of these get dropped off at Thompson Ford @ Parramatta the other day (their delivery area is right accross the road from our dealership) and they all had the GT Stripes. Not bad lookin.

EL BURITO
5th June 2007, 08:11 PM
have a test drive booked tomorrow night

Greggy
5th June 2007, 08:21 PM
have a test drive booked tomorrow night

COOL !

Have to give us a full and frank review.

Calibrated
5th June 2007, 08:25 PM
Well, let's suppose that the HSV GTS is a performance car, at 307kW and 1900kg mass.

This gives us a power/weight ratio of 0.16kW/kg

The Fiesta XR4 comes in at 110kW and 1050kg, this gives us a power/weight ratio of 0.11kW/kg.

Not bad performance for $25,000, don't ya' reckon?

Polo GTi has a ratio of 0.09 at $27,000 and is built in South Africa, whereas the Fiesta is built in Germany.

Ford Fiesta XR4 anytime, thanks. If the Opel Corsa OPC was to be imported here then, hehehe ...different story :D

Opel Corsa OPC>Ford Focus ST>VW Polo GTi>Renault Clio Sport

The Renault would be 1st if it wasn't for the poor quality of French cans...pardon me, cars.

Yes, the fiesta has a better power to weight, but the polo is turbo, so its quicker 0-100. * i cant believe i just said something good about a vw..

As for where they are built. thats irrelevant, as most plants these days are 90% automated.

But yes, i'd still take the ford over the polo. and i'd take the corsa opc over both.

oh, and its a bloody Fiesta ST. not this bloody XR4 crap...

digifish
5th June 2007, 08:26 PM

It's not that bad?

http://www.ford.com.au/servlet/BlobServer?blobtable=DFYImage&blobwhere=1163398277354&blobnocache=true&blobcol=urlpicture&blobkey=id

looks good to me?

digifish
5th June 2007, 08:30 PM
http://www.ford.com.au/servlet/ContentServer?cid=1163398276566&pagename=FOA%2FDFYPage%2FDefault1024&c=DFYPage
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f95/WA04SXi/fiesta_xr4_hi_03.jpg

Why is everyone doing the same headlights? :(

EL BURITO
5th June 2007, 08:54 PM
Why is everyone doing the same headlights? :(
cos no one has any new ideas any more ?

Mainframe_Module
5th June 2007, 09:11 PM
Red AH SRI T ----- I saw a whole heap of these get dropped off at Thompson Ford @ Parramatta the other day (their delivery area is right accross the road from our dealership) and they all had the GT Stripes. Not bad lookin.
----------------------------------

Yeah the one in rockdale was white with the blue gt stripes

digifish -----------
It's not that bad?

http://www.ford.com.au/servlet/BlobS...ure&blobkey=id

looks good to me?
-------------------------------------------

unless its nicer in the flesh, im not convinced.

rjastra
5th June 2007, 11:37 PM
but you can't spend $1500 on the XR4 and get 155kw/320Nm. With the Polo you can :)

EL BURITO
6th June 2007, 12:17 AM
but you can't spend $1500 on the XR4 and get 155kw/320Nm. With the Polo you can :)
but there is not the extra insurence of
1. owning a VW
2. owning a turbo

dug74
6th June 2007, 12:22 AM

No...you can actually buy a turbo for the 2.0L focus engine for about $2K and get more than 155Kw.

I have test driven the XR4 on saturday..the day after release...as they didnt have any stock on friday.

Great little car...handles quite well...wasnt powerful enough for me...as it didnt have the torque....but it had the zip of a small car.

The interior...like already said...was typical ford and very ugly and cheap looking.

Looked good in white with the blue stripes and for $24,990 +orc ..you cant really complain..and i do think they will sell and take a huge market slice from the Polo GTI and Colt VRX.

Now they just need to bring out the Corsa VXR and the new MPS2 and the micro hot hatches will be in full swing like their older brothers.

They were asking and coaching...why i owned a MPS over a XR5...i told them simple....you dont have stock and i aint waiting 3 months...they had 3 XR5 in the showroom...all sold before they landed.

They said...they have learnt and the XR4 will have stock available..but they still wanna keep it exclusive.

Cheers
DUG74

rjastra
6th June 2007, 09:03 AM
No...you can actually buy a turbo for the 2.0L focus engine for about $2K and get more than 155Kw.

Ohhh please stop it now. A $2K turbo kit fitted?

Now they just need to bring out the Corsa VXR and the new MPS2 and the micro hot hatches will be in full swing like their older brothers.

There is no talk of an MPS2. The VXR Corsa is within 5% of the price of a Clio 197 in the UK. So its not really in the same realm as the < $30K warm hatches is it?

They said...they have learnt and the XR4 will have stock available..but they still wanna keep it exclusive

Its nothing to do with being "exclusive", it's about not being able to source stock. Do you really think any "mainstream" manufacturer wants clients waiting around for months for a car?

On the other hand there is no point having excess stock around in an unproven market. THe Colt, Polo et al have only sold in moderate numbers. Personally I don't think (and i own a Polo Gti) that there is a huge demand for small warm hatches in Australia.

What people want are the $40K Euro (and not japanese) hot/premium hatches.

GreyRex
6th June 2007, 09:36 AM
It's a growing market... so who knows

Mainframe_Module
6th June 2007, 10:16 AM
i might go have a look on the weekend, just for the sake of it :D

and then ill be able to say whether i truly hate the interior or not.
but from the last ford i sat in i can say that the plastic on the inside reminded me of melted down council plastic garbage bins with that cheap shine to it....horrrible tinny cheap loooking.

we'll see.

dug74
6th June 2007, 10:18 AM

Really...

Well the only reason i guess ppl would want euro hot hatches...if becoz UK and Germany are really the only ones who make them...japanese and US markets are totally different. But the MPS changed the way ppl think of EURO in the hot hatch segment.

So that would explain that more MPS have been sold than XR5 and VXR together...but hey...ppl want EURO so you say...the only exception is the Golf and that is sold on brand loyality and the badge.

MPS2 is actually happening...as is the MPS8..

MPS2 will be a 2.0L DISI engine with turbo...already have the concept car..which AWD...but i cant see them keeping that. Its also a year or so away...as they havent even released the new M2 yet...(late 2007).

As for you personally thinking..no real market for small hot hatches...with increasing petrol prices...and i can only seeing them get higher in the next few years....i can see a huge market swing towards *smaller* performance vehicles....again...thats what i personally think.

Could fight about this for hours...maybe you need to test drive one..before you judge...as i have already done...and you may understand the market the fiesta ST is aimed for.

Cheers
DUG74

astro boy
6th June 2007, 10:51 AM
Gutless. Its a Renault Clio Sport wanna be.

rjastra
6th June 2007, 11:10 AM
But the MPS changed the way ppl think of EURO in the hot hatch segment.

So that would explain that more MPS have been sold than XR5 and VXR together...but hey...ppl want EURO so you say...the only exception is the Golf and that is sold on brand loyality and the badge.

People don't associate Holden/Ford with european. It may be badge loyalty but isn't that what makes a car desireable? People were waiting 9 months for a GOlf Gti (insane!!!) yet you wouldn't wait a few months for a Xr5. Desireability of Xr5 is obviously not that high.

MPS2 is actually happening...as is the MPS8..

Never heard of the MPS2 prototype. Have you got a link?
MPS8 - been talked about for ages but nothing in over 4 yrs. I think it pretty much certain its past its use by date.
MPS6 - not to be released with the new Mazda6. Essentially a flop.

Could fight about this for hours...maybe you need to test drive one..before you judge...as i have already done...and you may understand the market the fiesta ST is aimed for.

What market is that? a car that handles "quite well", has the "zip of a small car" and "ugly and cheap interior". Sounds like it will sell heaps :)

GreyRex
6th June 2007, 11:26 AM
Gutless. Its a Renault Clio Sport wanna be.

Ah ok... for basically $10,000 less, I dont think so.

Calibrated
6th June 2007, 11:38 AM
(and i own a Polo Gti)

I feel you pain buddy...
i mean, i felt so bad for you, i called Dr Phil for an intervention.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b200/loudclearcorsa/Dr_Philcopy.jpg

bornwild
6th June 2007, 01:33 PM
There was a test on fifth gear, recently, with Ford Focus ST, Mazda MPS3, Opel Astra OPC, Golf GTi Edition 30 and Renault Megane Sport.

They knocked out the Mazda MPS and the Astra OPC right away cause of torque steer and too much power at the front wheels. The Megane was declared unfit due to poor, french, quality of built.

Then the Final shoot-out was between the Focus ST and the Golf GTi.

Tiff Needal picked the Focus ST first, due to the lower price and more fun-factor, but then decided that the Golf was better because it was quicker around the track.

Calibrated
6th June 2007, 01:45 PM
There was a test on fifth gear, recently, with Ford Focus ST, Mazda MPS3, Opel Astra OPC, Golf GTi Edition 30 and Renault Megane Sport.

They knocked out the Mazda MPS and the Astra OPC right away cause of torque steer and too much power at the front wheels. The Megane was declared unfit due to poor, french, quality of built.

Then the Final shoot-out was between the Focus ST and the Golf GTi.

Tiff Needal picked the Focus ST first, due to the lower price and more fun-factor, but then decided that the Golf was better because it was quicker around the track.

I seriously hate this overrating of the golf. it is BORING to drive, it has a BORING interior, and its NOT that quick...

Topgear tested the OPC/VXR on the track, and it was 3 seconds faster than the golf.
Not bad for a car that has "too much power for its own good" and "needs a straight jacket"

Bunch of bloody pussies complaining about a little torque steer.

GreyRex
6th June 2007, 02:13 PM
Get back on topic people!! We know all about the others lol!!

Shaun
6th June 2007, 03:00 PM
Seen two today . One on the back of a truck the other was registered and on the road. How long the been on the market for? One thing is for sure they seem have plenty of stock for the release. Something they made the mistake of with the XR5 Turbo. but now have fixed.

dug74
6th June 2007, 03:12 PM
Seen two today . One on the back of a truck the other was registered and on the road. How long the been on the market for? One thing is for sure they seem have plenty of stock for the release. Something they made the mistake of with the XR5 Turbo. but now have fixed.

Been on the market since Friday 1st...but didnt receive stock till Saturday...well the d/ship i went too..didnt get them till friday arvo.

Already had a few sold...so they cant be that bad...

As for your Fifth Gear report...it wasnt Top Gear....the threw the Mazda and Astra out before they even test drove it...on looks and too much power....or was it..becoz both those cars were better in the performance and handling dept...and they didnt wanna out shine the Golf and Focus.

I plainly admit...the Golf is the better all rounder...its like a corolla...suits everyone...becoz its very bland and boring...

Cheers
DUG74

P.S. The MPS6...who knows if a new series will be released...as they didnt release the MPS6 or MPS3 with the lineup previously...

Also...the MPS8 <Mazdaspeed RX8> will be released in Dec for Japan and US markets...shouldnt be long till it hits Australian shores... S/C Rotary.. with 275Kw+.

bornwild
6th June 2007, 04:27 PM
As for your Fifth Gear report...it wasnt Top Gear....the threw the Mazda and Astra out before they even test drove it...on looks and too much power....or was it..becoz both those cars were better in the performance and handling dept...and they didnt wanna out shine the Golf and Focus.

I think they just wanted a 'civilised' car that your normal, every-day wife can floor through a corner and go to safeway without too much thinking.

Still though, I'd get the Astra OPC no-matter what they said about it.

Back on topic, I saw a shipment of about 10 XR4s arrive at Heidelberg Ford in Melbourne. They look awesome, I'd seriously consider buying one of these if I was in the market for a Hot hatch. Holden are gonna regret not having a car for this market since it is booming.

EL BURITO
6th June 2007, 09:04 PM
OK back from test drive.

went to 2 dealerships so could have a 2nd go cos at 1st one wasnt able to push it.

Issues.
Dosnt have Cruise control
gear stick is funny looking
space saver spare
not very much room in engine bay to mod
the add $310 no matter wat paint you deside on.

1/2 leather buckets. they are nice and feel good
rear has more space than Corsa.
turn off ESP button
Stripes factory fitted (cost $300)

over all i like it. interior is not that bad. it may look a bit round in places but i think i could live with it.

$28,437 Drive Away (with stripes)

bornwild
6th June 2007, 09:53 PM
OK back from test drive.

went to 2 dealerships so could have a 2nd go cos at 1st one wasnt able to push it.

Issues.
Dosnt have Cruise control
gear stick is funny looking
space saver spare
not very much room in engine bay to mod
the add $310 no matter wat paint you deside on.

1/2 leather buckets. they are nice and feel good
rear has more space than Corsa.
turn off ESP button
Stripes factory fitted (cost $300)

over all i like it. interior is not that bad. it may look a bit round in places but i think i could live with it.

$28,437 Drive Away (with stripes)

Tell us a bit more about the drive. :rolleyes::)

EL BURITO
6th June 2007, 10:27 PM
It kept pulling up until about 5000rpm didnt push it any higher than that. managed to keep the speed up in the corrners but felt like lowering would help. the buckets kept me in place. the sort shift gear box took a bit, scraped going into 2nd from 5th to corrner. It was more comfatable ride than my C. breaks could be a little bigger thou. Nice package thou

rjastra
7th June 2007, 10:05 AM

They have test driven those cars in previous episodes... ;)