PDA

View Full Version : Dutton Rally. (NSW) VXR Results.

Shaun
4th June 2007, 05:30 PM
Just been looking on the HSV site to find the VXR ran in the NSW Dutton Rally.

This should lay some arguments to rest i believe. Esp the one about Understeer. The car was in Stock Form with no changes made.

1st The HSV Article. You may need to go to news. if it dont work i will copy and paste it over.

http://www.hsv.com.au/index_eseries.asp

2nd the Dutton Events of the NSW Rally for 2007.

http://www.duttonrally.com/res-07nsw.php

3rd results of the event 26. Wet Skid Pan.

http://www.duttonrally.com/results/2007/nsw/ADR_NSW07_Event26_Driver.pdf

Shaun
4th June 2007, 05:32 PM
HSV Article. Sourced from www.hsv.com.au

HSV VXR UPSETS THE SUPERCARS WITH A WIN AT DUTTON RALLY

May 31, 2007

The HSV VXR has claimed a win on its motorsport debut at the NSW Dutton Rally held last weekend. The four-cylinder front-wheel drive HSV beat 160 other cars, including all-wheel drive rally cars, expensive European exotics and 450kW ‘supercars’ to claim an outright stage win, and finished fourth outright in the team handicap.

The Dutton Rally was held over three days in Queanbeyan, Goulburn and Sydney, with the $42,990 VXR competing in factory standard trim against modified road, rally and supercars, some up to 10 times the VXR’s price.

With 177kW from its turbocharged 2.0-litre 16v ECOTEC-4 engine, the VXR managed a 14.4 second quarter-mile time, lapped Wakefield Park in 1m:14.0, and Eastern Creek Raceway in 1m:55.7, where it reached over 200km/h down the main straight.

With two alternating drivers per entry, the pairing of Sydney motoring journalists Samantha Stevens and Dean Evans was impressively the highest finishing front-wheel drive team, the highest finishing HSV and the highest finishing car on street tyres.

But the weekend’s highlight for the HSV VXR was stage 26, a wet skidpan held at the Sutton Road driver training complex in Canberra. Evans managed a time that beat every car in the field - almost half of which were all-wheel drive. Testimony to the VXR’s ability in the dry or wet, the front-wheel drive HSV claimed not only the 1st place trophy; Stevens also placed 8th outright from the 161 cars on the same stage.

Evans explained his strategy: “The VXR’s torque in second gear really helped. We were on road tyres, but so were about 20 others. There was a drying line around the outside, but I chose a shorter path and used the tyres and torque to our advantage. Even with the ESP deactivated, the power was easy to control.”

Stevens was equally impressed: “I just tried to be smooth and careful. I think it showed that this much power can be fast even in the wet if you drive it properly.”

Though most of the field ran on competition-derived R-compound semi-slicks, the VXR ran Yokohama Advan Sport road tyres on the factory HSV 19-inch alloys.

Around the racetracks, the VXR was equally at home. “I saw about 203km/h at the Creek,” recalled Evans. “The stiff chassis, predictable handling and great brakes made the VXR easy to drive fast and considering it’s completely standard, I think it performed remarkably well.”
Over 36 stages from hill-climbs to airport dashes, motorkhanas and circuit sprints, the HSV VXR performed flawlessly to compete with and even beat some of the world’s fastest cars from Porsche, Nissan, Subaru and Mitsubishi.

Don’t delay – test drive a HSV VXR today and you too can experience the thrills of the hatch that has taken Europe by storm. Samantha and Dean will be back driving the blue ‘pocket rocket’ for the WA leg of the Dutton Rally in July. Stay tuned for further updates…

poita
4th June 2007, 06:33 PM
great result for the VXR!!
should put a few ppl back in there place

Shaun
4th June 2007, 08:09 PM
Exactly why i posted it up..

blueraven
4th June 2007, 08:18 PM
even better is that it was driven by just a guy and a girl motor journo's :D

(bet there were ALOT of evo/sti drivers wondering what the hell happened ;) )

Charlatan
4th June 2007, 09:48 PM
So, you've posted up an article from the HSV marketing department and that is supposed to prove what? How does this lay the torque steer arguement to rest? You guys have been banging on about Clarkson and Motor/Wheels journo's bagging it for this, then saying it is just their opinion. How is Dean's opinion any different?

What other cars were in its class at Dutton? I dont remember seeing an XR5T or a 225 Cup at the Sunday event, so what exactly has been proven? I dont even remember seeing a Gti there, but I could well be wrong on that.

Great result on the skidpan nonetheless.

Calibrated
4th June 2007, 09:56 PM
So, you've posted up an article from the HSV marketing department and that is supposed to prove what? How does this lay the torque steer arguement to rest? You guys have been banging on about Clarkson and Motor/Wheels journo's bagging it for this, then saying it is just their opinion. How is Dean's opinion any different?

What other cars were in its class at Dutton? I dont remember seeing an XR5T or a 225 Cup at the Sunday event, so what exactly has been proven? I dont even remember seeing a Gti there, but I could well be wrong on that.

Here's choppers advice regarding the Torque Steer.

Toughen the **** Up.
Stop ****en Whining and hold on to the ****en steering wheel

Vectra V6
4th June 2007, 09:58 PM
Well as a driver of a VXR i am not suprised. Hopefully we see a more nuetral article on the event. But they are right about the torque in second, amazing.....

Shaun
4th June 2007, 10:04 PM

Not a matter of an Opinon. The times from event 26 is an actually fact. Times are not an Opinon they are a fact. How could a car that possibly is ment to " understeer like a shopping trolley" actually beat AWD cars on a wet skid pan if its ment to understeer. Thats the point im making. Facts are truth here . not of an Opinon.

The car was up against many different brands. Dutton rally consist of cars ranging form $30,000 to $300,000 motor vehicles.

poita
4th June 2007, 10:05 PM
roflmfao @ ashley

Shaun
4th June 2007, 10:08 PM
Well as a driver of a VXR i am not suprised. Hopefully we see a more nuetral article on the event. But they are right about the torque in second, amazing.....

Very true. So i found out on friday night.

digifish
4th June 2007, 10:21 PM

...same as the CDTi :)

OPC
4th June 2007, 11:38 PM

someone needs a hug...

oneightoo
5th June 2007, 10:26 AM
clarkson only loves aston martins.. period..

GreyRex
5th June 2007, 11:07 AM
Even though it's written by HSV, great result nonetheless:)

OPC
5th June 2007, 11:52 AM
Even though it's written by HSV, great result nonetheless:)

it would be the same results if it was writen by a child...

GreyRex
5th June 2007, 12:41 PM
it would be the same results if it was writen by a child...

Yes, we all know that. My point was they were promoting their product, so sometimes facts are flattered. It's called marketing. Either way, I like the car, am happy for the car and glad it was able to do what it did lol

Wraith
5th June 2007, 01:13 PM
clarkson only loves aston martins.. period..

And the Ferrari F430 :D

JohnBu
5th June 2007, 01:57 PM
And the Ferrari F430 :D

dont we all.... :)

Charlatan
5th June 2007, 07:00 PM
Not a matter of an Opinon. The times from event 26 is an actually fact. Times are not an Opinon they are a fact. How could a car that possibly is ment to " understeer like a shopping trolley" actually beat AWD cars on a wet skid pan if its ment to understeer. Thats the point im making. Facts are truth here . not of an Opinon.

The car was up against many different brands. Dutton rally consist of cars ranging form $30,000 to $300,000 motor vehicles.

It actually fact a time from one event out of 36. If the HSV won everything, you'd have a point. I was refering to the HSV article as the opinon piece. Look its a good result, but dont take it too far out of context that suddenly there is no torque steer issue with this car. Dont forget Dean Evans is a sensational steerer

I was out there on Sunday so I know the cars that ran. I was refering to the fact that the natural competitors for the VXR werent there

Shaun
5th June 2007, 07:19 PM
It actually fact a time from one event out of 36. If the HSV won everything, you'd have a point. I was refering to the HSV article as the opinon piece. Look its a good result, but dont take it too far out of context that suddenly there is no torque steer issue with this car. Dont forget Dean Evans is a sensational steerer

I was out there on Sunday so I know the cars that ran. I was refering to the fact that the natural competitors for the VXR werent there

My Point is which you still dont seem to get is if the VXR is so bad with its Torque Steer it shouldnt have taken the the postion it took in the event. On a Wet Skid pan a AWD cars like the Subaru WRX or STi or the Mitsubushi EVO should have come up with a better time if the VXR . The VXR ran Stock road tyre. Most of the Field ran Semi Slicks. The VXR ran Stock Suspension. most of the field were running a modified Suspension. That being said the VXR out of the box preformed well in all events considering.

I dont disagree that they dont have any torque steer. You have to expect it to do that with that much power coming out of the front wheels.

Its no where like Top Gear have shown it the point im making which people seem to think it is.

I see your point about no other Hot Hatches. But at the end of the day when the GTi Golf ran and the XR5 T ran there were min Hot Hatches in the event.

luvpsi
5th June 2007, 07:33 PM
go the VXR:) this has just made me love them even more

RudeOne
5th June 2007, 07:38 PM
perfect timing for that article, second batch ov vxr's are around the corner, should help sales :)

Shaun
5th June 2007, 08:07 PM
perfect timing for that article, second batch ov vxr's are around the corner, should help sales :)

Very True Rudi... Mine was invoiced today to the dealership. Should be there no later then Friday. i hope to take Delivery next Weekend... :)

aussie_in_london
5th June 2007, 09:04 PM
suddenly there is no torque steer issue with this car.

and here i have been saying to all the poms over here that us aussies are no mere blowse wearing blokes and you go on about a little bit of torque steer as if you cant control the car, well i now take back what i have been saying for the past 5 years and now make the point 98% of us anyway lol tbh i thinks its driver ability and some poeples lack of and mistaking tramlining on huge 19"s spread across 235 of rubber as torquesteer! Take my wife for instance, 5 foot nothing and also half my body weight drives a near on 300bhp VXR regularly and has actually done a trackday, does she complain about this huge amounts of torquesteer some have gone on to beleive, she will tell you yes there is some pulling on the wheel under heavy excelleration but she will also tell you its very easily controlled and in no ways a fight, i think that just goes to show driver ability in itself. Bit of torquesteer just adds to the fun of the drive, also experienced some torquequeer in the ST and also the megane 225 but thats how it goes when putting out power through the wheels also turning you, mask this out and your just detaching yourself from the drive i.e as i found in the GTi.

My recommended treatment for your torquequeer!
A yearly gym membership and a personal trainer,
and if that dont work join the army and become a soldier,
that should make a man out of ya : )

Calibrated
5th June 2007, 09:13 PM
A yearly gym membership and a personal training,

And Chopper Reid's recommendation

Toughen the **** Up.
Stop ****en Whining and hold on to the ****en steering wheel
You ****en Homosexual

Charlatan
5th June 2007, 09:14 PM
My Point is which you still dont seem to get is if the VXR is so bad with its Torque Steer it shouldnt have taken the the postion it took in the event. On a Wet Skid pan a AWD cars like the Subaru WRX or STi or the Mitsubushi EVO should have come up with a better time if the VXR . The VXR ran Stock road tyre. Most of the Field ran Semi Slicks. The VXR ran Stock Suspension. most of the field were running a modified Suspension. That being said the VXR out of the box preformed well in all events considering.

I dont disagree that they dont have any torque steer. You have to expect it to do that with that much power coming out of the front wheels.

Its no where like Top Gear have shown it the point im making which people seem to think it is.

I see your point about no other Hot Hatches. But at the end of the day when the GTi Golf ran and the XR5 T ran there were min Hot Hatches in the event.

I get your point. Like I said in my first post, it is a great result to get first in that event. Would the fact the VXR was running street tyres and the EVO's etc running semi slicks be the reason the VXR was able to toast them?

Shaun
5th June 2007, 09:37 PM
Dont think it would be the case. If anything it should have made it even. considering they are AWD and they have grip through all four wheels.

OPC
5th June 2007, 10:01 PM
A yearly gym membership and a personal trainer,

hahahahahaha... nutbag shane

i have no problem with torquesteer in my OPC / VXR

dug74
6th June 2007, 12:30 AM
hahahahahaha... nutbag shane

i have no problem with torquesteer in my OPC / VXR

I have driven the VXR and i wouldnt say the torque steer is that bad @ all...its there off course...but not like some drivers/testers have said.

The MPS has torque steer as well...not as much as the VXR...but thats due to Mazda limiting torque in 1st <72%> and 2nd <85%> gears. Also a LSD helps.

As long as your happy with the car...why would anything else be a problem...

Great results from the VXR <all round, not just on the pan>...i wish there was a XR5 and MPS there to compare it against.

Cheers
DUG74

Calibrated
6th June 2007, 12:42 AM
I have driven the VXR and i wouldnt say the torque steer is that bad @ all...its there off course...but not like some drivers/testers have said.

The MPS has torque steer as well...not as much as the VXR...but thats due to Mazda limiting torque in 1st <72%> and 2nd <85%> gears. Also a LSD helps.

As long as your happy with the car...why would anything else be a problem...

Great results from the VXR <all round, not just on the pan>...i wish there was a XR5 and MPS there to compare it against.

Cheers
DUG74
and the MPS is 4wd..

Shaun
6th June 2007, 01:58 AM
and the MPS is 4wd..

you just proved to me you dont have clue what your talking about. MPS that Dug is refering to a MPS 3 . Which is a front wheel drive not an All wheel drive.

Calibrated
6th June 2007, 11:24 AM
you just proved to me you dont have clue what your talking about. MPS that Dug is refering to a MPS 3 . Which is a front wheel drive not an All wheel drive.
my bad, look at the time posted...i had a long day yesterday.:o

rjastra
7th June 2007, 10:35 AM
Doesn't Dean Evans have quite alot of racing background?

OPC
7th June 2007, 10:50 AM
Doesn't Dean Evans have quite alot of racing background?
and ??????????

rjastra
7th June 2007, 11:53 AM
and ??????????

Well, someone said that the VXR drivers were only motoring writers.

even better is that it was driven by just a guy and a girl motor journo's

blueraven
7th June 2007, 02:26 PM
yeah that was me, i didnt know he had a racing backgroud. But still, there are alot of guys who race dutton that also have heaps of racing exp. and seriously race prepped cars.

OK, now someone try and explain why a vxr could beat a 911 turbo(amongst other serious sports cars) around ANY DAMN TRACK, both with skilled drivers. coz thats what happened.

The vxr must be a bit better than i gave it credit for, but i would have liked to see a direct comparo with some of the other hot hatches, even if it did manage to fend of alot of other very competant sports cars.

oneightoo
7th June 2007, 02:45 PM
OK, now someone try and explain why a vxr could beat a 911 turbo(amongst other serious sports cars) around ANY DAMN TRACK, both with skilled drivers. coz thats what happened.

The vxr must be a bit better than i gave it credit for, but i would have liked to see a direct comparo with some of the other hot hatches, even if it did manage to fend of alot of other very competant sports cars.

if i owned the porche i wouldnt want to crash it, and wouldnt give it the thrashing required to win..

JohnBu
7th June 2007, 03:02 PM
if i owned the porche i wouldnt want to crash it, and wouldnt give it the thrashing required to win..

then you wouldn't even bother entering in this event.

alot of these guys are sponsored and/or have big bucks!.

i wouldn't want to buy ANY car that has competed in this event.

blimey! 5,135 posts!!! haha

rusole21
7th June 2007, 03:09 PM
That is so true. i didnt give it nearly that much credit lately. I am prepared to say that the vxr is an awesome machine!! that is a great time for it on a wet skid pan!!

Very Well Done VXR

Wraith
7th June 2007, 04:20 PM
blimey! 5,135 posts!!! haha

:eek:

5,140 and counting........

I too never noticed that one.......182 your a dedicated man :)

Sorry back on topic :)

The VXR obviously had a good day out.....

Not taking anything away from it's great result, you've got to agree, on a normal day on any normal road a great majority of those other car types would simply toast a VXR.

Now where's my flame protection suit :D

oneightoo
7th June 2007, 04:34 PM
imagine what it'd be if off topic posts counted.......

Shaun
7th June 2007, 05:26 PM

Yeah but when you look at it. Porsche designed with these sorts of events in mind. They are ment to be put through there passes.