PDA

View Full Version : Headlights

bornwild
3rd June 2007, 12:49 PM
Now, the other day I came accross this:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Xenon-Headlight-Bulb-H7-Holden-Barina-Astra-Commodore_W0QQitemZ110131708861QQihZ001QQcategoryZ 102560QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and I came to the conclusion it's probably just some bullshit 'xenon' light bulb for those of us who buy white bulbs just for the sake of imitating xenon headlights and looking cool. And it's only $30 so it can't be quality.

BUT, what I am looking for is actually better headlighting for my Astra CDX MY07 Coupe. I want it to be white, not yellow(it kinda is whitish on the Astra).

Then I came accross some "HID Conversion kits", which go for about $250.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/HID-XENON-CONVERSION-KIT-H1-H4-H7-H11-9005-9006-9007_W0QQitemZ260122879895QQihZ016QQcategoryZ10256 0QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Now, these kits supposedly convert the headlights to 'proper' xenon headlighting. Since the Astra has very good stock headlighting(one of the best I've seen on cars of this price range) it will be hard to out-do the lighting.

I won't be buying these kits off ebay of course, I'd much rather pay extra and get them from autobarn or something.

Here's my questions:
1. Are these kits reliable?
2. Do they provide better lighting?
3. If so, how much better?
4. Will I be regretting it in the future?
5. Will I **** up something?
6. Whats the chance of me ****ing up something?
7. Are they actual xenon lights like on the Mercs and BMWs?
8. Are they legal in AU?

Cheers, and if anyone has any experience with these kits, it would be much appreciated to write a detailed description.

Thanks a lot, NM

platypus
3rd June 2007, 03:16 PM
Here's my questions:
1. Are these kits reliable?
2. Do they provide better lighting?
3. If so, how much better?
4. Will I be regretting it in the future?
5. Will I **** up something?
6. Whats the chance of me ****ing up something?
7. Are they actual xenon lights like on the Mercs and BMWs?
8. Are they legal in AU?
1. When bought from a reliable source - yes
2. Yes
3. Heaps - mix between hi beam and low beam depending on your particular car
4. If they blow it will cost you a fair bit for replacements
5. Probably not - but if your astra is set to pulse the standard lights you will run into issues - similar to the Vectra - may need to be programmed on a Tech2
6. Only if your prone to it
7. Yes they are
8. No - but you could get away with it - your halogen setup isn't set to cut off HID - its set to cut off halogen! - works best in projector lamps, rather than prism control reflector, or fresnel lamps

hope this helps you

bornwild
4th June 2007, 01:32 PM
Cheers for that mate. Oh and btw yeah I drive a MY07 Astra CDX Coupe.

I'll probably head out to autobarn and ask them for further advice and probably even make them do it....if they give out any warranties for the work done :D