PDA

View Full Version : Insurance!!!!!

vxrgirlie
1st June 2007, 06:34 PM
As I imported my car from the UK, can anyone give any advice on where to go for insurance.

I went to the RACV and spent 40 minutes having a bit of a moan as they reckon there is no such thing as a HSV VXR!!! :mad:
Trying to explain that my make of car is over here was quite a battle, and after a long hard time trying, I was told they could not insure me incase I ever made a claim and needed a part for the car....... they would have to have the parts imported! :confused:

I just don't get it, why on earth would they have to import part's? Please could someone help over this matter!

Charlatan
1st June 2007, 06:50 PM
I would be very surprised if RACV didnt know what a HSV VXR was. Hang up, redial and speak to someone else. They will insure it. If not, try any of the other majors.

Vectra V6
1st June 2007, 06:54 PM
Try AAMI. They didnt insure me with the vxr because i was under 25, but they are generally good otherwise. I am with NRMA as they were the only company to provide me with insurance for the VXR. I am paying about $1600 to give you a rough indication of cost

vxrgirlie
1st June 2007, 07:17 PM
I would be very surprised if RACV didnt know what a HSV VXR was. Hang up, redial and speak to someone else. They will insure it. If not, try any of the other majors.

Yes I was very suprised too :eek:
I actually went in the office in person, and this woman asked everyone in the office had they heard of it, and they all said no. So that is why she said they'd not insure me as apparently there is no such model here,:confused: :confused: and that's why they'd have to import any parts.

Calibrated
1st June 2007, 07:26 PM
Yes I was very suprised too :eek:
I actually went in the office in person, and this woman asked everyone in the office had they heard of it, and they all said no. So that is why she said they'd not insure me as apparently there is no such model here,:confused: :confused: and that's why they'd have to import any parts.

ignorant morons..thats all i have to say..

i had the same problem insuring my calibra...

EL BURITO
1st June 2007, 07:52 PM
www.shannons.com.au
www.justcarinsurance.com.au

try ither of these guys. probly need a phone call. If you call Shonnons you need to say you are part of car realted clubs, Just car deals with imports and lots of mods.

hope this helps. + RAC suck when u get a point or 2 on your licence and are strict with possible mods (well in WA)

Shaun
1st June 2007, 08:45 PM
Kiri. go with Just car. they know what they are.Also give Shannons a try.

Mainframe_Module
1st June 2007, 09:53 PM
the thign with just car insurance is they only give you the option to pay it in one chunk.
not by the month

and if its an expensive car and you're young. that means a bloody large chunk of cash.

OPC
1st June 2007, 10:57 PM
i feel for ya...

when i tried to insure my VXR i had a similar experience... but im sure u dont wanna know

anyway im with **QBE** and i pay by the month and it costs me $45 a week direct debit from my bank

AAMI were a little bit dearer but they are good

NRMA dont go there girlfriend.. but if ya have to..then do it

JUST CARS is a sister insurance company from AAMI so may aswell go with AAMI if u choose any of them

hope that helps a little

Poogene2001
1st June 2007, 11:30 PM
Just tried to do a quick quote thru Just Cars and it all went smoothly.
Im under 25, but rating 1 in a low risk suburb and the quote was $1,315.00 with an extra $500 "vehicle" excess (inthe event of a claim) cos its a rare car and possibly more costly to source parts for.
Unless you are over 30 and drive a base model commodore, I wouldn't waste my time with any other insurer, they all want the shirt off your back to cover anything out of the ordinary.
Good luck!!:cool:

P.S im sure if you you can afford to import a VXR, you can afford to pay the premuin in one lump sum!

Petey
1st June 2007, 11:52 PM
VXR girlie,
Go back there & try again with another person, or ask to speak with the manager. If they resist (they shouldn't), ask them to call their "customer relations" people who should be able to help you find the car (it may not show up on their computer database). They can also get in contact with the backroom people who set up car details & risks for them.

They then should be able to at least quote a price for you for that vehicle, but don't be surprised if it's high as it'll be looked at as being a private import...

You may need to explain that it was imported from overseas and HSV now also import them into Oz... Be persistent but nice...

Hope this helps a little, good luck - I hate insurance!!!

stevedee3
2nd June 2007, 12:10 AM
AAMI's online quotation car list includes this one:
"2007 HSV VXR TURBO F/IN 3D HATCHBACK T4 CYL 2.0L 6 SP MANUAL"

EL BURITO
2nd June 2007, 04:25 AM
AAMI dont like mods thoe were as Just car will let u have any thing and looking at the spec of the car it might not be worth wasting the phone call.

Also its still a private import witch will make things hard

Vectracious
2nd June 2007, 04:59 AM
another vote for Just Cars

JasonGilholme
2nd June 2007, 08:22 AM
i thought just cars offered pay by the month??

I payed mine in full....farkin hell tho it was big lol

nJm
2nd June 2007, 09:25 AM
Justcars also quoted me a $500 'vehicle' excess (making my total excess $1500 as I'm under 25) on my '03 SRI, so I ended up going with RACV. Not the cheapest, but it seemed easier and I can pay by the month.

AF1R
2nd June 2007, 09:44 AM
Im with Just Cars, under 24, $901. Astra TS SRiT.

Im turning 25 in 2 months, i hope the insurance goes down, i havent told them about my Tinted Windows, should i wait till after i turn 25 before i tell them about my tints?

Vectracious
2nd June 2007, 10:01 AM
Just checked my policy that I paid in NOvember last year and back then you could either pay 6 months or 12 months - maybe it has changed.

AF1R - tell them about the tints, I would think it wouldn't increase your premium

Shaun
2nd June 2007, 10:14 AM
They may not be able to insure the car as a HSV VXR. As the car was a private import.After you jumped off line last night Kiri i thought about that. See what they say when you try to.. Hopefully all will be smooth though.

nadg63
2nd June 2007, 12:07 PM
Just Cars used to insure just about anything mainly due to the fact they carried the highest Excess charges in event of a claim - is this still the case? (I'm with Shannons BTW)

Wraith
2nd June 2007, 12:53 PM
anyway im with **QBE** and i pay by the month and it costs me $45 a week direct debit from my bank

:eek:

That adds up to $2,340 per annum :eek:.......is that correct...

It costs me ALOT less than that for full comp. insurance and rego fees combined on 2 of my cars - V6 Calibra and Astra T convertible.....

RACV not knowing what a VXR is, something's not right there, I'll bet if you enquired again over the phone, you'd have a different story.

My recommendation is AAMI !

Insurance is indeed a bitch for youngies - been there, copped that.

Only comforting news I can offer you all, it does get better, the older you are, at least that's one good thing about getting older, if your a car freak.

An eg: I'm over 40 lifetime rating 1 and have my vert insured for 55k and my premium is $467:00 p/a :D :D

daaaaavek
2nd June 2007, 02:33 PM
AAMI dont like mods thoe were as Just car will let u have any thing and looking at the spec of the car it might not be worth wasting the phone call.

Also its still a private import witch will make things hard

Holy crap, your English it terrible..

Huhness
2nd June 2007, 03:37 PM
i pay $2900.. :dance:

Do i win?

EL BURITO
2nd June 2007, 04:05 PM
Holy crap, your English it terrible..
Thanks.............

ok maby it needs a few full stops. but that the reason all my assigments get proof read by some one else and i am not about to start doing that for each post i make on here

OPC
2nd June 2007, 04:32 PM
:eek:

That adds up to $2,340 per annum :eek:.......is that correct...

:D

sorry i meant fortnightly.. my bad :)

gees im over 35 and never had a accident so id never pay that much ever

Wraith
2nd June 2007, 05:30 PM
Phew, $1170 is much easier to swallow Mohawk :)

Huhness - two thousand nine hundred bucks - WTF!!! :eek:

Someone pick me up off the floor..................

Are insurance companies ripping you youngies that much these days :(

EL BURITO
2nd June 2007, 05:46 PM
not that bad $650 every thing declared for AV of 18K

Orion_996
2nd June 2007, 07:47 PM
As said insurance is a bitch.

I'm with RACQ, under 24 (just) and pay $860 / year. The premium is lower than anywhere else i tried by about $500/year (JustCar and NRMA), and i pay by the month. Although i have about $1800 excesses. Standard excess + under 25 + performance vehicle + previous licence suspension, and a couple of others in there that i can't think of, yeeehaw.

Huhness
2nd June 2007, 11:27 PM

Yea thats what i think! But i have a pretty bad driving history! Been clean 2 years though so hopefully it won't follow me around too much longer :(

I'd have bought an astra turbo but everyone turned me down for insurance..

Just got my full license today! AWESOME!!

Message to all P platers.. Don't drive like a tool! Although i learnt my lesson and started driving responsible.. i have a few friends who won't have licenses back till they are retired! :boohoo:

bornwild
3rd June 2007, 12:15 PM
Phew, $1170 is much easier to swallow Mohawk :)

Well, 19 here, paying $800, registered on the old man, me as a '%5' driver.

Gotta scam those bastards ;)

When I put myself as a 2nd driver, premium jumped up to $2500. F**k that!

EL BURITO
3rd June 2007, 12:20 PM

on wat a SRIT?

bornwild
3rd June 2007, 12:22 PM
on wat a SRIT?

woops, forgot to mention what car.

It's a MY07 Astra CDX coupe.

Calibrated
3rd June 2007, 12:55 PM
I was paying $713 pa for the Cali, Full comprehensive with Budget Insurance. I'm 21 (22 in sept), and they put me on the worst rating coz i have no previous Australian insurance record...bastards...btw, i've been on my full lisence since i was 18, with no accidents. only one not at fault claim. and i have a racing lisence and advanced driving certificate.

Just car wanted $970, AAMI refused to insure me, RACQ wanted $1410..and some even worse..was disgusting...

bornwild
3rd June 2007, 12:58 PM
and i have a racing lisence and advanced driving certificate.

Do those impact the premium you pay, eg. do they lower it?

Calibrated
3rd June 2007, 01:08 PM
Do those impact the premium you pay, eg. do they lower it?

Apparantly they are supposed to, but because mine is South African, they wont approve it here..:mad:

poita
3rd June 2007, 09:34 PM
just under 900 for the cali with RACQ, 24 yrs, two speeding fines, probationary licence (on opens now), 2 accident claims, on a rating 3 i think i am.
also have mags (1k) and stereo (1k) insured as well, agreed value of 13k.
get a good deal as have 3 cars, house and contents with them.
suncorp tried to charge me a tad over 2.5k, i politely told them they can put there insurance policy up there arse.

vxrgirlie
4th June 2007, 09:36 AM
P.S im sure if you you can afford to import a VXR, you can afford to pay the premuin in one lump sum!

Like it, hahahaha :D

Anyway have tried AAMI, they have said no way due to it being an import, gonna give Justcar and Shannons a ring, hopefully I'll get somewhere soon! :(

Wraith
4th June 2007, 09:45 AM

Good one !!!!! :)

That's the trick I used to use over 20 years ago when I was in the same boat ;)