PDA

View Full Version : Toyota showing how to do it...

digifish
29th May 2007, 10:28 PM
Now this is the way you should treat customers when your car has a defect...from Autoblog...

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2007/05/55-07-tundra-crewmax_450.jpg (http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/news/toyota/tundra/camshaft/camshaft.html)

"Out of a run of 30,000 5.7-liter V8 engines, Toyota has had reports of 20 camshafts snapping -- a minuscule number in light of the total (0.06 percent, as a matter of fact). Toyota says the outside supplier of the camshafts has discovered the problem, which was "a metallurgical defect in the casting," and the company is trying to figure out how many of the remaining 30,000 engines could also be affected, though because of the company's production method, the final number is not expected to be large. The camshafts have been designed to prevent collateral damage in case they break, but Toyota will replace a customer's entire engine if the camshaft failure should occur by sending a new 5.7L via airfreight to the nearest daeler. Apparently some Toyota execs believe that the new number one global automaker has been growing too fast to maintain proper quality control. Yet with the Tundra being a new truck with a new engine in a new market for Toyota, there are going to be teething problems, as we've seen. What remains to be seen is if, or for how long, these problems will continue."

The goodwill this would generate will far outweigh any negative impact with the customers. Shame so many Holden customers have to do battle with the company to get engines replaced when they break, rather than repaired.

digifish

Vectra V6
29th May 2007, 10:54 PM
The reason why Holden don't like to get thier hands dirty with defected engines is due to the higher frequency of stuff ups..... Definately poor in my opinion...

EL BURITO
30th May 2007, 12:19 AM
now if toyota could just build a exciting car :(

btm
30th May 2007, 08:15 AM

bahahahaha :D

what's wrong with the Yaris? :p

Dee
30th May 2007, 08:21 AM

My toyota was exciting.... Ish, was yours???

digifish
30th May 2007, 08:57 AM

They are certainly exciting to drive...today I was being tail-gated in my Astra by a guy in a Toyota Corolla (Levin I think)...damp roads...so I decided to see how good the ESP in the Astra was...I went around like I was on rails, I don't think ESP even kicked in, the Corolla got very sideways and stationary :)

I am sure that was exciting for him :p

digifish

blueraven
30th May 2007, 09:56 AM
sorry, but i dont think it matters which manufacturer you buy from , if your camshaft snaps and your engine lunches itself while under warrantly, every manufacturer will fix/replace the engine.

digifish
30th May 2007, 10:54 AM
sorry, but i dont think it matters which manufacturer you buy from , if your camshaft snaps and your engine lunches itself while under warrantly, every manufacturer will fix/replace the engine.

The point here is that Toyota are replacing (and say so up front, no haggling including express air-freighting a new engine to your dealer), even though it's a non-interference engine design. I think that's a great attitude.

digifish.

KID_SRi
30th May 2007, 12:39 PM
The Toyota Tundra is MAJOR Competition in the Large Pick Up Truck War against GMC,Ford & Dodge. That Toyota 5.7 Dual VVT-i V8 is a Monster to drive, I work @ ARB 4x4 & we have Tundra 5.7 as test bed for Products to shipped to shipped to the US.
The Tundra out sell the Big 3's Truck 2-1, So its smart thinking on Toyotas part to back up their Product against such Major Competitors.

Clint
30th May 2007, 01:33 PM

every manufacturer will fix the engine under warranty, but i doubt there will be many offering to replace it no questions asked. my cambelt in my parents vectra broke, i think it was outside warrenty but we got them to do it under warranty since the belt was broke just after being replaced, and the result of the broken belt was close to the whole top end and some of the bottom end of the engine being replaced

Ishley
30th May 2007, 02:40 PM
My toyota was exciting.... Ish, was yours???
Yeah im was exciting...

It screamed like a b*tch after 6200rpm, all the way to 8000 :D

CORZZA
30th May 2007, 05:46 PM

The owners make them exciting! :D

Wraith
30th May 2007, 07:09 PM
I've never had a Toyota from new, (only S/H) so I can't comment on their customer service, but my old man has and his never had a service complaint in 23 years of owning a 1984 model Corona - remember them :D

And yes it's still going strong.....

If Toyota's service and customer support has the same integrity and reliabilty as their cars, then I applaud them :clap:

digifish
30th May 2007, 07:42 PM
...my old man has and his never had a service complaint in 23 years of owning a 1984 model Corona ...If Toyota's service and customer support has the same integrity and reliabilty as their cars, then I applaud them :clap:

I just wish they would make a car I want to own...they could if they tried! :)

digifish

CORZZA
30th May 2007, 07:53 PM
I've never had a Toyota from new, (only S/H) so I can't comment on their customer service, but my old man has and his never had a service complaint in 23 years of owning a 1984 model Corona - remember them :D

And yes it's still going strong.....

If Toyota's service and customer support has the same integrity and reliabilty as their cars, then I applaud them :clap:

iv owned 2 new toys and iv always been treated like a VIP!

For services drop the car off they take me to work or home privately in (Aurion) call me and let me know when its done and they pick me up. They make sure my car is one of the 1st finished.

All good

oneightoo
31st May 2007, 10:05 AM
toyota need to get back into making sports cars, like real sports cars like the supra.. not just chuck a S/C onto a grandpa car..

Wraith
31st May 2007, 10:34 AM
toyota need to get back into making sports cars, like real sports cars like the supra.. not just chuck a S/C onto a grandpa car..

You mean this (Supra concept) - Hybrid power train, supercar performance - if it ever comes to life YES PLEASE :)

http://i18.tinypic.com/6b2n1ug.jpg

KID_SRi
1st June 2007, 11:19 AM
iv owned 2 new toys and iv always been treated like a VIP!

For services drop the car off they take me to work or home privately in (Aurion) call me and let me know when its done and they pick me up. They make sure my car is one of the 1st finished.

All good

I had a HZJ78 Landcruiser Turbo Diesel, Every service @ Toyota I was treated like a King. Same as you CORZZA, They'd either drive me to work Privately & Pick Me up or Give a Free Loan Car.
Toyota Service is Excellent.

Wraith
1st June 2007, 12:41 PM
I think it's only a matter of time before Toyota release some really exiting cars - not counting their Lexus line up of course, which are pretty good, except for the price tag......Here's a link to another possible future Supra

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.edmunds.com/media/il/features/general/future.toyota.2000gt/future.toyota.2000gt.340.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId%3D104818&h=300&w=340&sz=28&tbnid=0uHDdDn4gsippM:&tbnh=105&tbnw=119&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dtoyota%2Bsupra%2Bconcept%26um%3D1&start=1&sa=X&oi=images&ct=image&cd=1

Or just the pic - looks interesting :)
http://i7.tinypic.com/4m35r9s.jpg

bornwild
3rd June 2007, 01:08 PM
I'd never buy a toyota, it's just a personal thing of mine...much the same like I'd never eat junk food.

Wraith
6th June 2007, 09:31 AM
Each to their own ;)

I've always said I'll never buy a Ford and have maintained that saying now for 23 years of licensed driving........however I'll gladly eat my words and buy a Ford if 'ever' they did release a truly all round fantastic car - don't think it'll happen too soon though :D

KID_SRi
6th June 2007, 11:18 AM
Each to their own ;)

I've always said I'll never buy a Ford and have maintained that saying now for 23 years of licensed driving........however I'll gladly eat my words and buy a Ford if 'ever' they did release a truly all round fantastic car - don't think it'll happen too soon though :D

Ford Australia only ever released 2 Cars worth Owning, 1964 Cortina GT & 1970 XY GTHO Phase III. Any other decent Ford were kept from our shores.

Wraith
6th June 2007, 11:41 AM
That may be true, but even those weren't good enough for me :)

I instead prefered and have owned from that era an LC GTR Torana (modded with V8 Chev) and an L34 SLR 5000 Torana :)

Used to regularly blow the doors off XY and XW GT's with both of the above cars :D it was especially satisfying when they were owned by Ford freak mates of mine :D :D

bornwild
6th June 2007, 01:26 PM
Toyota make shocking cars, yet they sell like hot-cakes because most of the population wants something cheap.

And buying a Toyota is un-Australian, when we have Aussie cars that are of better or similar quality.

Wraith
6th June 2007, 03:56 PM
May or may not be the case, but I'm sure in saying alot of people have purchased them because of their renowned reliability (especially the Corolla) and therefore cheap running costs - both enviable qualities for any car ;)

And the word is spreading about Toyota's excellent customer service and support - most reliable and efficient car I've ever owned to date is a Corolla :)

Dee
6th June 2007, 04:01 PM
And buying a Toyota is un-Australian, when we have Aussie cars that are of better or similar quality.

if that is the case, then buying a Corsa, Astra, Vectra, Calibra, Combo, Zafira is un-Australian as well - just food for thought, not to start a fight

bornwild
6th June 2007, 04:05 PM
If you follow that logic, there is no truely Aussie manufacturer.

Wraith
6th June 2007, 04:07 PM
GMH :confused:

Dee
6th June 2007, 04:07 PM
Toyota make shocking cars, yet they sell like hot-cakes because most of the population wants something cheap.

If you follow that logic, there is no truely Aussie manufacturer.

but you say that there are aussie cars that are of better or similar quality..... then that there are no aussie manufacturers...

which cars were you refering to in that first post?

bornwild
6th June 2007, 04:19 PM
but you say that there are aussie cars that are of better or similar quality..... then that there are no aussie manufacturers...

which cars were you refering to in that first post?

I meant exactly what wraith said.

Ford Australia is owned by Ford US, Holden is owned by GM. :rolleyes:

But the cars I was referring to is as follows, if you're gonna buy a Corrolla, get an Astra or Focus instead; much more exciting cars and better cars than the corrolla, perhaps 1 or 2 grand more expensive, but worth it.

If you're in the market for a Camry/Aurion, get the new Mondeo or a Vectra(if there is any brand new ones left), they are both much-much better cars than the toyota counterparts. And then of course you have the Commodores and Falcons. Let's face it, these 2 are crap but so is an Aurion.

The Aurion Presara costs ~$54ish grand, for the same money you can buy a nice Holden SS with leather interior and sat-nav; if you bargain around.

What I'm saying is; in order to ensure the future of Australian engineers and Australian economy we should buy Aussie cars.

Now there is this argument; but the Toyota's are Aussie manufactured cars. That is true for the Camry and Aurion, both of which are a little piece of Toyota sales in AU. Then again; both the Aurion and Camry are engineered in Japan. Some mods may have been done to make the cars comply with Aussie roads but still.

I guess my main argument is, if you're gonna buy an imported car, the least you can do, as an Aussie citizen, is buy an import that's badged with an Aussie logo. Furthermore, they are better cars and more exciting than the Toyotas. Hell, my 90yr old grandma finds the Toyotas utterly boring.

Clint
6th June 2007, 07:07 PM
i think you will find that none of the astras, vectras, barinas, calibras, zafiras are engineered in australia, and some of them aren't even manufactured in australia. i'm sorry but i fail to see what you are trying to say, after all you are saying this on an opel forum...

bill142
6th June 2007, 07:32 PM
The owners make them exciting! :D

Just get an old RWD rolla and whack a supercharger on it. That'll make it exciting.

bill142
6th June 2007, 07:38 PM

A Wholly owned subsidiary of General Motors Corporation - Detroit Michigan, United States of America.

Wraith
6th June 2007, 09:35 PM
A Wholly owned subsidiary of General Motors Corporation - Detroit Michigan, United States of America.

Yes true, we all know that fact, the topic/question was locally designed and produced cars from this quote:

"If you follow that logic, there is no truely Aussie manufacturer" from Bornwild

once again lol :)

bornwild
6th June 2007, 09:38 PM
i think you will find that none of the astras, vectras, barinas, calibras, zafiras are engineered in australia, and some of them aren't even manufactured in australia. i'm sorry but i fail to see what you are trying to say, after all you are saying this on an opel forum...

I guess my main argument is, if you're gonna buy an imported car, the least you can do, as an Aussie citizen, is buy an import that's badged with an Aussie logo. Furthermore, they are better cars and more exciting than the Toyotas. Hell, my 90yr old grandma finds the Toyotas utterly boring.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Check it out...

CORZZA
7th June 2007, 10:39 PM
Just get an old RWD rolla and whack a supercharger on it. That'll make it exciting.

AE86 bro but charger is old school! turbo is the way to go!

CORZZA
7th June 2007, 10:51 PM
I meant exactly what wraith said.

Ford Australia is owned by Ford US, Holden is owned by GM. :rolleyes:

But the cars I was referring to is as follows, if you're gonna buy a Corrolla, get an Astra or Focus instead; much more exciting cars and better cars than the corrolla, perhaps 1 or 2 grand more expensive, but worth it.

If you're in the market for a Camry/Aurion, get the new Mondeo or a Vectra(if there is any brand new ones left), they are both much-much better cars than the toyota counterparts. And then of course you have the Commodores and Falcons. Let's face it, these 2 are crap but so is an Aurion.

The Aurion Presara costs ~$54ish grand, for the same money you can buy a nice Holden SS with leather interior and sat-nav; if you bargain around.

What I'm saying is; in order to ensure the future of Australian engineers and Australian economy we should buy Aussie cars.

Now there is this argument; but the Toyota's are Aussie manufactured cars. That is true for the Camry and Aurion, both of which are a little piece of Toyota sales in AU. Then again; both the Aurion and Camry are engineered in Japan. Some mods may have been done to make the cars comply with Aussie roads but still.

Iv owned opels all my driving life back in SA. Love them to bits! iv owned corsas, astras, Rodeo Utes you name it. The only reason the astras are bit more than the corollas is because they come with a few more fancy electronics and "bling" otherwise its all the same. and as for the handling the corollas are better not by much but they are and alos power wise. Until you get to the forced induction models SRI & VXR. The only astra id buy is the VXR

Aurion is a beautiful car goes hard and looks pimp! It rather buy an aurion than a commodore! the new ones are Crap! So many recalls and they line up in holdens garage for issues. I know ppl who work for holden and iv heard many a story.The only ones id look at are the SS and GTS otherwise the mass market commos are rubbish.

As for a ford........well its a ford......2 words..... OIL LEAK!

bornwild
8th June 2007, 12:24 AM
Corrola handles better than an Astra...

hahahahahahah you're killin me here mate :D :D

Dee
8th June 2007, 12:33 PM
Corrola handles better than an Astra...

hahahahahahah you're killin me here mate :D :D

when was the last time you drove the current model corolla bornwild???

more recently the CORZZA ... ???

oneightoo
8th June 2007, 12:37 PM
well it depends which model you compare to which..

theres not a great deal seperating the two - Sportivo & SRi..

VXR tho.. well, i dont think there'd be a corolla to rival that just yet..

Dee
8th June 2007, 12:46 PM
ohh maffew... from what i've heard... it's on it's way :D *dances like a fool*

oneightoo
8th June 2007, 12:48 PM
how long now dee?

Dee
8th June 2007, 01:12 PM
i'm not sure - havent heard any dates recently... late last year i was told August

bornwild
8th June 2007, 05:04 PM
when was the last time you drove the current model corolla bornwild???

more recently the CORZZA ... ???

As a matter of fact, I test drove the Auris Levin 6sp manual about a week ago.

I like the fact that the gearbox is a 6sp manual but thats where I stop liking the Auris.

The drive is fr pensioners, the steering wheel doesn't transmit any feeling for the road and power steering is way too strong. The Auris has handling more like the new Civic than anything else. Sure, it maybe good through corners...but not nearly as good as the astra, especially the CDTi.

As for the styling of the Auris.....:eek: don't know who/what their market is but sheesh it's fukin boring. One thing I do like is the position of the gearstick in the cockpit but it renders the accessibility of the stereo controls and air-con controls unapproachable.

Anywho, the new Auris is just another car.....nothing new/innovative behind it and not much better than the previous corrolla.

And the materials feel cheap.....especially the key to the car.....what's up with that??? It looks like it came from the $2 shop.

So there you go, that's how I decided that my Astra CDX Coupe is of much better built quality and has much better handling than the Auris. But then again, in the handling department, nothing can topple the Ford Focus. The Astra gets close.

PS. Another thing I like is the START/STOP button....real nice touch......too bad they're a little too late with it to be called 'innovative'

CORZZA
12th June 2007, 01:19 PM
well it depends which model you compare to which..

theres not a great deal seperating the two - Sportivo & SRi..

VXR tho.. well, i dont think there'd be a corolla to rival that just yet..

Exactly!

im talking about the CD and the CDX.They are boats compared to the rollas.

i know for a fact that the VXR will out handle any stock 03,04 or 05 corolla because thats what it was built for!

CORZZA
12th June 2007, 01:20 PM
As a matter of fact, I test drove the Auris Levin 6sp manual about a week ago.

I like the fact that the gearbox is a 6sp manual but thats where I stop liking the Auris.

The drive is fr pensioners, the steering wheel doesn't transmit any feeling for the road and power steering is way too strong. The Auris has handling more like the new Civic than anything else. Sure, it maybe good through corners...but not nearly as good as the astra, especially the CDTi.

As for the styling of the Auris.....:eek: don't know who/what their market is but sheesh it's fukin boring. One thing I do like is the position of the gearstick in the cockpit but it renders the accessibility of the stereo controls and air-con controls unapproachable.

Anywho, the new Auris is just another car.....nothing new/innovative behind it and not much better than the previous corrolla.

And the materials feel cheap.....especially the key to the car.....what's up with that??? It looks like it came from the $2 shop.

So there you go, that's how I decided that my Astra CDX Coupe is of much better built quality and has much better handling than the Auris. But then again, in the handling department, nothing can topple the Ford Focus. The Astra gets close.

PS. Another thing I like is the START/STOP button....real nice touch......too bad they're a little too late with it to be called 'innovative'

im not a fan of the new corolla i think it looks too much like a Tiida!

Dee
12th June 2007, 02:06 PM
im not a fan of the new corolla i think it looks too much like a Tiida!

After seeing one in the flesh yesterday (after it being pointed out as a Corolla, I didn't even realise, just thought it was a Yaris) I don't like the look of them... we'll see what they bring out the new Sportivo as tho :D

CORZZA
13th June 2007, 05:27 PM
the new sedan is ugly, the hatch still has to grow on me