PDA

View Full Version : The Car Show - HSV VXR vs Mazda 3 MPS

MatsHolden
26th May 2007, 01:52 PM
Just letting people know that Channel 9's The Car Show will be doing a head to head with the VXR and 3 MPS next week.

jsantos
26th May 2007, 02:16 PM
Lets hope its more decisive then their XR5T vs SRiT review
I'm paraphrasing from memory here, the generally summing up comment was this though.
"At the end of they day if your dad had a holden you will take the holden, if your dad had a ford you will take the ford"

MatsHolden
26th May 2007, 02:26 PM
"At the end of they day if your dad had a holden you will take the holden, if your dad had a ford you will take the ford"

Pretty true though.

SIMid
26th May 2007, 02:27 PM
Glen should stick to running a pub. Just watched the end of the prog with the XF, what was he trying to do, a Top Gear Challenge?

Not.

JasonGilholme
26th May 2007, 02:27 PM
Pretty true though.

not if you knew how to test drive both cars lol

Shaun
26th May 2007, 04:39 PM
I shall remember this to watch it.

Metro1288
27th May 2007, 11:24 AM
When is this show on?

Shaun
27th May 2007, 11:52 AM
Saturday arround either 12noon or 1pm i think

WLD-18L
27th May 2007, 04:42 PM
mad...must remember to watch this... the mazda is the quicker more powerfull car yea ?

OPC
27th May 2007, 05:24 PM
mazda will win because of more kw's and not because of its plastic interior

low
27th May 2007, 05:34 PM
the mazda will win because Glenn Ridge has a very long association with Mazda Aust !! He has raced his RX7 in various targas and done work for them as well. I'm currently in the process of buying a MPS anyway ,haven't looked at the VXR only because it is a 3 door ,and there are plenty of 06 plate MPS around (Mazda cant move them )

Wraith
27th May 2007, 07:05 PM

This is one of the standard lines you'll get from publicised comparos, when there's not much difference between the 2 type of cars....

Had one or the other had a clear margin of superiority in some or many ways, they'll go for that one ;)

Next weeks comparo on the car show will be interesting, don't know about you guys, but for me that show ain't anything special and I never go out of my way to view it :rolleyes: will have to make an exception for this one though :)

Shaun
27th May 2007, 08:08 PM
This is one of the standard lines you'll get from publicised comparos, when there's not much difference between the 2 type of cars....

Had one or the other had a clear margin of superiority in some or many ways, they'll go for that one ;)

Next weeks comparo on the car show will be interesting, don't know about you guys, but for me that show ain't anything special and I never go out of my way to view it :rolleyes: will have to make an exception for this one though :)

So true about the show. We need a full assult from one of the networks in the form of Top Gear.
Hmm who should i pitch the idea too...

OPC
27th May 2007, 10:36 PM
I'm currently in the process of buying a MPS anyway , and there are plenty of 06 plate MPS around (Mazda cant move them )

ur joking ?

wonder why...

Calibrated
27th May 2007, 10:58 PM
mad...must remember to watch this... the mazda is the quicker more powerfull car yea ?
paper and the real world are very different.

mazda will win because of more kw's and not because of its plastic interior
Not to mention its engines falling out.
and the Astra is a 2l turbo, whereas the mazda is a 2.3 Turbo?

the mazda will win because Glenn Ridge has a very long association with Mazda Aust !! He has raced his RX7 in various targas and done work for them as well. I'm currently in the process of buying a MPS anyway ,haven't looked at the VXR only because it is a 3 door ,and there are plenty of 06 plate MPS around (Mazda cant move them )

Pity Holden did not bring over the 5 door AH Turbo.
But the MPS:eek:
I'd rather go for and '05 WRX.

aussie_in_london
27th May 2007, 11:43 PM
the MPS hasnt being getting good raves over here in the UK by most of the car press, coping it worse than the VXR which has been the whipping dog for some time, even with the additional power and running an LSD the Stig couldnt better the time that he pulled off in the astra in a hot hatch shoot out, the megane R26 being the best performer on track and not suprising as the ride is so hard it would vibrate every filling out of your month just taking it down the road for a bottle of milk :)

dug74
27th May 2007, 11:52 PM
There was a hot hatch comparo on last weeks Fifth Gear....

I personally dont think you can compare any of them...

You buy the car becoz of a reason...looks, power, style, function.

And...every car make has problems...and only 2 mazdas have had engines fall out...hardly something you can bag.

As for the MPS not selling..i guess that really depends where you are..and what state...becoz we have 11 MPS in brisbane next week on a cruise...

Each to their own....i prefered the Mazda over the others...and i have driven all the *hot hatches*

The best all rounder...is still the GTi Golf.....even tho i hate the tartan seats and if you want options...grab another $10K.

The poms bagged the MPS before they had even driven it...which shows you how much they really know about cars.

I will watch it this week....as for sure...they will have a favourite.

Cheers
DUG74

Shaun
28th May 2007, 10:00 AM
There was a hot hatch comparo on last weeks Fifth Gear....

I personally dont think you can compare any of them...

You buy the car becoz of a reason...looks, power, style, function.

And...every car make has problems...and only 2 mazdas have had engines fall out...hardly something you can bag.

As for the MPS not selling..i guess that really depends where you are..and what state...becoz we have 11 MPS in brisbane next week on a cruise...

Each to their own....i prefered the Mazda over the others...and i have driven all the *hot hatches*

The best all rounder...is still the GTi Golf.....even tho i hate the tartan seats and if you want options...grab another $10K.

The poms bagged the MPS before they had even driven it...which shows you how much they really know about cars.

Cheers
DUG74

Who says the press in the UK havent driven the car ? Normally a Manfacturer will invite world press along to the offical launch of a model in the home land if the car is going to be exported.

rjastra
28th May 2007, 11:38 AM
The MPS3 doesn't sell (just like the MPS6 doesn't sell) because it has absolutely no prestige behind it. It's just a fast hatchback that looks rather bland.

The Golf Gti has had a long history (some rather luke warm) but a history none the less. They are desireable and look and feel solid in a way the Mazda can never be.

The Golf GTi makes up a sizeable portion of Golf sales here (just like the WRX). Whereas the big sellers in the Mazda 3 range are the povo Neo spec cars (Like the corolla!)

People will bitch and moan about the option prices on the GOlf. But , honestly, you don't need ANY of them the base product is that good to start with. It's just guilding the lily in my opinion.

dug74
28th May 2007, 12:02 PM
The Golf GTi makes up a sizeable portion of Golf sales here (just like the WRX). Whereas the big sellers in the Mazda 3 range are the povo Neo spec cars (Like the corolla!)

Glad to see you work for mazda and know the sales figures on the M3.

But if you wanna know the real facts....the Neo isnt the biggest seller..its actually the mid range Maxx and Maxx Sports that sell...followed by the SP23.

They dont sell many Neos...as they dont have anything in them.

But im glad you compared a M3 with a corolla.....as they are both in the top 5 for best selling cars in Australia....i wonder where the golf is...

Cheers
DUG74

sri guy
28th May 2007, 12:06 PM
for the money i wouldnt take either. the shape of the astra g will always be in my heart i'd rather get a 'g' sri-t and use the left over money to improve it in the areas that appeal to me.

Calibrated
28th May 2007, 12:14 PM
for the money i wouldnt take either. the shape of the astra g will always be in my heart i'd rather get a 'g' sri-t and use the left over money to improve it in the areas that appeal to me.

I totally agree.
A G SRi-T (OPC) will be my next car.

Shaun
28th May 2007, 12:32 PM
Glad to see you work for mazda and know the sales figures on the M3.

But if you wanna know the real facts....the Neo isnt the biggest seller..its actually the mid range Maxx and Maxx Sports that sell...followed by the SP23.

They dont sell many Neos...as they dont have anything in them.

But im glad you compared a M3 with a corolla.....as they are both in the top 5 for best selling cars in Australia....i wonder where the golf is...

Cheers
DUG74

Didnt realise Mazda were Making M3 Now instead of BMW. You Mean Mazda 3 i take it..

oneightoo
28th May 2007, 02:12 PM
lol mazda's way of making their car sound sporty..

OPC
28th May 2007, 06:42 PM
lol mazda's way of making their car sound sporty..

no it's just easier to say M3 instead of MPS3... just like i call mine OPC instead of HSV VXR lmnopqrst

low
28th May 2007, 08:08 PM
Pity Holden did not bring over the 5 door AH Turbo.
But the MPS:eek:

The WRX is old hat these days . The Mazda is a much better all round car ,and without the WRX image or its downmarket interior.
The sporty versions are the sellers for Mazda3 range ,not the neo- SP23 cant get enough stock ,and you wont get much discount . But the MPS is 40k+orc for the std ,43k+orc for the sport .looking at nearly $50k on road rrp which is crazy- they are simply too exxy for a small hatch .thats why they cant sell them,simple as that. VW get away with it because its buyers have shown they will pay for that badge -like M-B or BMW- their buyers will pay through the nose for an equal or inferior cars -not better . Mazda cant do that.i have driven both and the Mazda is better imo. Maybe an R32 Golf with DSG would be nice but the price ask is comical at best for a small hatchback.When you can drive a big discount on one of the many 06 platers MPS around i figure a good quick hatch at reasonable price will be sweet.I'm haggling atm for a 06 sport @ around $40k onroad .

regards

low
28th May 2007, 08:13 PM

Cheers
DUG74

The GTi Golf is a little overrated in my estimation ,wasnt that impressive ,maybe i expected more . The MPS is a great thing BUT supply is definately exceeding demand . Every dealer i spoke to in Sydney is holding 06 plated stock and undriven demos etc.So they are not moving them.

Shaun
28th May 2007, 08:59 PM
The GTi Golf is a little overrated in my estimation ,wasnt that impressive ,maybe i expected more . The MPS is a great thing BUT supply is definately exceeding demand . Every dealer i spoke to in Sydney is holding 06 plated stock and undriven demos etc.So they are not moving them.

Very true. When the MPS came out i could have had delivery with in a week of the Stock hitting the docks. And there is plenty of stock arround atm. I could walk into a dealer order it today and have it with in 4 days .

Not many of the other Hot Hatches have that situation. Says one of two things two me. Mazdas factory is pumping out more then demand or someone at mazda over estimated the sales and ordered too many to start with. Either way you look at it its not selling as well as they expected.

At least with the Golf GTi it excced the estimated sales. But i do agree. The motoring reviews have sung it a lot of praise and "benched mark" everything else of it. But of late have done a big back flip by saying it dosesnt have the edge of its rivals. They sung the MPS 3 Praise in its 1st review. second review all of a sudden they change there tune saying its got too much power etc. Wheres the consistancy ....

Calibrated
28th May 2007, 11:46 PM
how can anyone say no to this?
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b200/loudclearcorsa/2070103_008_mini4L.jpg

EL BURITO
29th May 2007, 12:12 AM
how can anyone say no to this?
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b200/loudclearcorsa/2070103_008_mini4L.jpg
i want one but its off topic.

Mum is getting a Max Sport in Purple. dad said no to the MPS. dam his sensible nature. we are having to wait. only thing that anoys me about the car is we are going to a trimer to get leather cos its not a option once again a problem with the options on cars in this country

Calibrated
29th May 2007, 06:09 AM
ooops....posted in the wrong thread...lol..my bad...

oneightoo
29th May 2007, 09:15 AM
no it's just easier to say M3 instead of MPS3... just like i call mine OPC instead of HSV VXR lmnopqrst

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sarcasm

:D

rjastra
29th May 2007, 09:54 AM
The sporty versions are the sellers for Mazda3 range ,not the neo- SP23 cant get enough stock ,and you wont get much discount

You think ;) They were flogging off SP23 ('06 stock) for 27K + ORC just last friday. And there were four on the lot (at least!) at John Newell on the weekend when a mate had a look at the MX5.

If the demand was so high for these cars then there wouldn't be '06 stock still lying around. Different story for the povo Neo. They sell like hotcakes. JUst like the Corolla Ascent.

OPC
29th May 2007, 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by mohawk

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sarcasm:D

:D

yeah i was being sarcastic aswell if u didnt notice the end eg LMNOPQRST

CORZZA
30th May 2007, 05:48 PM
heard alot of bad news with the MPS!

something along the lines of engine mounts snapping!

JasonGilholme
30th May 2007, 05:50 PM
yeah i think i posted a link to a case here on opel aus.

Dunno how many cases have been reported now but at the time there was about half a dozen from people on a particular forum. Not sure how many in the whole mazda MPS customer base tho.

Wraith
30th May 2007, 07:00 PM
As Dugg's mentioned, I think it's only 2 officially reported cases to Mazda, most definitely not a widespread problem, these cars sold very well when first released, so there are quite a number out there, I'm thinking that's why most Mazda delearships have plenty of them now, expecting to move as many as when first released.

VXR has so far suffered one engine failure that we know of, again definitely not a widespread problem.

Not trying to bag either car, but there are quite a few VXR's sitting on Holden showroom floors and have been for quite some time - also obviously can't be moved even with the drive-away price dropping to under 40k and the VXR exists in much smaller numbers than the MPS 3 ;)

I wonder if all this kind of stuff like sales figures/popularity will be discussed on the car show, probably not, just stick to the performance side of things, especially if Morley's covering the segment....:rolleyes:

CORZZA
30th May 2007, 07:54 PM
As Dugg's mentioned, I think it's only 2 officially reported cases to Mazda, most definitely not a widespread problem, these cars sold very well when first released, so there are quite a number out there, I'm thinking that's why most Mazda delearships have plenty of them now, expecting to move as many as when first released.

VXR has so far suffered one engine failure that we know of, again definitely not a widespread problem.

Not trying to bag either car, but there are quite a few VXR's sitting on Holden showroom floors and have been for quite some time - also obviously can't be moved even with the drive-away price dropping to under 40k and the VXR exists in much smaller numbers than the MPS 3 ;)

I wonder if all this kind of stuff like sales figures/popularity will be discussed on the car show, probably not, just stick to the performance side of things, especially if Morley's covering the segment....:rolleyes:

its the price thats scares most away! i mean for that price you can pick up a SS!

OPC
30th May 2007, 08:48 PM
its the price thats scares most away! i mean for that price you can pick up a SS!

but who wants a heavy peice of crap ?

CORZZA
30th May 2007, 09:24 PM
i dont mind a heavy piece of crap!

As long as there is enough room for a charger or snail im happy!

dug74
30th May 2007, 11:27 PM
MPS3 on the Nurburgring (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xuyaojwoa7M)

With drivers who have never done the track...i would find this time quite impressive.

7:32 - Porsche Carrera GT (7:32.44)
7:44 - Zonda
7:46 - Porsche 996 GT2
7:47 - Porsche Gt3 RS (sport tyres)
7:50 - M3 CSL (sport tyres)
7:52 - GT3 (381hp)
7:52 - Lamborghini Gallardo
7:52 - Lamborghini Murcielao
7:52 - Mercedes SLR mclaren
7:56 - Porsche 996 Turbo
7:56 - 360 stradale (sport tyres)
7:57 - Lotec Porsche 993 Turbo (600 HP, racing suspension)
8:07 - Ferrari 550
8:09 - Lamborghini Diablo SV
8:09 - Ferrari 360 Modena
8:10 - Chrysler Viper GTS
8:12 - Porsche 993 Turbo (430 HP version)
8:15 - BMW Z8 400 HP
8:17 - Porsche 996 C2
8:18 - Ferrari F355
8:22 - BMW M Coupe 321 HP
8:25 - Audi RS4 375 HP
8:28 - Porsche 993 C2
8:28 - BMW M5 400 HP
8:32 - Porsche Boxster S
8:35 - BMW M3 Coupe 321 HP
8:37 - Mercedes C32 AMG
8:38 - Honda NSX
8:39 - Mazda 3 MPS
8:39 - Honda S2000
8:40 - Chevrolet Corvette
8:42 - Audi S4 265 HP
8:42 - Lotus Exige
8:49 - Jaguar XKR Coupe
8:52 - Mercedes CLK 430

Cheers
DUG74

Shaun
30th May 2007, 11:55 PM
EX F1 Drivers name popps up in the clip?? someone who can drive.Not a bad time though for the MPS3.

and for the record the VXR/OPC lapped Nurburgring 8.36 and still hold the lap record for the class which seems to be missing from the lap record list.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwBJ8SHB42U

JasonGilholme
31st May 2007, 07:11 AM

The new astra IS heavy!!! :p

Wraith
31st May 2007, 09:55 AM

Having driven both, I too would prefer the heavy piece of crap :o

It does have the better power/weight ratio and performance and I reckon it handles better too, despite being the bigger and more ungainly looking of the 2 :)

You also get alot more car for the money = greater value.

As with any comparo though, each to their own for all of their own reasons :)

Wraith
31st May 2007, 09:59 AM
i dont mind a heavy piece of crap!

As long as there is enough room for a charger or snail im happy!

There's enough room there for 'TWO' snails lol........

TT set ups on these are becoming common - mines on it's way :D

oneightoo
31st May 2007, 10:02 AM
why dont you drop that veyron engine from your avatar into something and have T-TT? :D

Wraith
31st May 2007, 10:07 AM
LOL you mean TTTT = Quad turbo.... :D

Would love to :) in my dreams lol

The APS setup I'm doing is good for a Veyron matching 746kw :eek: :D

The rest of the drive train and car won't be as good though :(

oneightoo
31st May 2007, 10:08 AM
would TTTT be 8 turbo's?, ie twin, tiwn, twin turbo? lol..

8 turbo's.. lol.. where would you fit them all??

Wraith
31st May 2007, 10:42 AM
Your right, better stick to just Quad T or maybe QT lol lets see 4T, TQuattro, 2xTT, Bi-twin turbo, nah sounds gay :)

Imagine a monster set up with 8 snails :eek: probably wouldn't work very well though.....

rusole21
31st May 2007, 03:06 PM
i love reading thru these posts. so funny how everyone argues these points every couple of weeks. as for who could resist the opel corsa vxr. ME!! it looks like a freakin abortion gone wrong!! it has the gayest tail pipe i have ever seen!! still a barina!!

dug74
31st May 2007, 03:37 PM
I resisted buying an opel :D

It was rather easy after driving a MPS

Cheers
DUG74

Wraith
31st May 2007, 04:09 PM
i love reading thru these posts. so funny how everyone argues these points every couple of weeks. as for who could resist the opel corsa vxr. ME!! it looks like a freakin abortion gone wrong!! it has the gayest tail pipe i have ever seen!! still a barina!!

Everyone's going to always have their own viewpoint, especially enthusiasts like us :)

In the end as long as the individual is happy with whatever car they have and what it's cost them to own etc etc. :)

As for the Corsa VXR I too don't really like it much either....

I wonder how long it'll be before Opel produces something 'really' good.

My next purchase, both new and or S/H won't be Opel, it'll be Jap or other Euro brand - VW or Audi and possibly a S/H Munro :)

JasonGilholme
31st May 2007, 04:20 PM
I resisted buying an opel :D

It was rather easy after driving a MPS

Cheers
DUG74

did you test drive the opels that were out at the time??

Howd they compare?

OPC
31st May 2007, 06:20 PM
did you test drive the opels that were out at the time??

Howd they compare?

going from the Barina to almost anything else would have sold him

dug74
31st May 2007, 07:39 PM
Not true...

I drove all the hot hatches...and they all have good and bad...

The HSV VXR ...by far is the best looking...but i hated the interior and holdens service with opels. They wouldnt budge on pricing.. $45k

The XR5...awesome sound and looks...i love electric orange...but no cruise control and lack of power.

The GTI...all round the best hatch...but expensive with options..non leather has picnic looking tartan seats.

The MPS3...a good price, love the interior and sleeper looks....overall a good daily driver and suited my needs.

EVO and STI....dont interest me...as they are not really a daily driver.

But yes...any hot hatch over a barina would bring a smile to ya face. But you would expect that considering its 3 times the price.

66kw ==> 190Kw
125Nm => 380Nm

Cheers
DUG74

OPC
31st May 2007, 11:33 PM
The GTI.....non leather has picnic looking tartan seats.

Cheers
DUG74

hahaha i like this

Wraith
2nd June 2007, 01:32 PM
Ok watched the show.......WTF a fairly comprehensive test drive of the VXR, but what about the MPS 3 LOL :rolleyes:

I thought they were going to put them head to head like they've done with other comparos before.......if you havn't test driven both yourself, your left with no conclusion from that as to which is better at all, you just have to guess from verbal comments made by Morley as he was casually driving the MPS 3.

Calibrated
2nd June 2007, 01:48 PM
is there a repeat?

AF1R
2nd June 2007, 01:55 PM
yeh repeat was on @ 1pm ch9>
i watched it, couldnt hear anything bc i was working taking calls :(

VXR looks so hot!!!!!! Be we know that already.

So wat was the conclusion?

Who won? I saw the chic complaning abpout the torque steer, lol.

--------------------

As for the Corsa, yesterdays CARS GUIDE featured the VXR Corsa, one of teh Holden chairmans was saying they might bring the Corsa to australia

Fifth Gear has a review on the Corsa, just do a youtube search.

Wraith
2nd June 2007, 02:02 PM
LOL read my post, there was no direct comparison, so no conclusion, no winner.......

All it was good for was to see a VXR being thrashed and thrown around some witches hats lol :D

I think it was just about a quick 'profile' on the 2 most powerful FWD hatches available on the Oz market ATM, I don't think they ever intened to put em head to head and give a conclusion, might have caused them backlash maybe :confused:

bornwild
3rd June 2007, 12:21 PM

A WRX will eat shit against an MPS(straight line).

And if the MPS was a 4wd it would be 2-3s quicker than the rexy around the track. Plus the MPS looks a lot better than the current and upcoming WRX.

I'd still buy the OPC rather than the MPS...just cause....I don't know....it's sexier and it's a 2-door.

imay
3rd June 2007, 01:26 PM
Wot a disappointing report! There was no comparison between the 2 vehicles at all, which is what I was hoping/expecting. Appeared it was just a driving lesson from the blonde . . . forget it!

Can't wait for July 2 when the new series of Top Gear starts up again. Then we can have some serious comparos and a bit of genuine humor to go along with it.

bornwild
3rd June 2007, 01:35 PM
Yeah the motor show is a joke....those guys can't show off a car for shit, yet alone compare them

xplosv57
3rd June 2007, 04:08 PM
Yeah i watched it yesterday too, what a copy of the Top Gear VXR show, showing how the Astra steering issues and torque steer!!! It was so one sided and didn't have anything good to say about the Astra!!!

SIMid
3rd June 2007, 04:28 PM
I think soemone has to tell Sam that when it hits the rev limiter, U ment to ease off the thottle.

She was flat sticking it all the time. Feel sorry for whoever buys that VXR later on. :p

CORZZA
21st June 2007, 04:52 PM
There's enough room there for 'TWO' snails lol........

TT set ups on these are becoming common - mines on it's way :D

Or a Big T66! :D :D

dustbug
9th July 2007, 10:39 PM
For all who missed the show heres a link.

http://www.thecarshow.com.au/web-tv-ep12.htm

they post most of the segments on the internet, 3 months later!

GreyRex
10th July 2007, 10:32 AM
I hate this show. There was a comparo between the Astra Turbo and XR5 on the website a month or two ago, from a previous season i think. It looks like they've now *cough cough*, updated the site. It's now gone :( If anyone can find it for me that'd be good. I know it's probably crap, like the rest of the show, but I wanted to see it anyway

CORZZA
10th July 2007, 12:11 PM
A WRX will eat shit against an MPS(straight line).

And if the MPS was a 4wd it would be 2-3s quicker than the rexy around the track. Plus the MPS looks a lot better than the current and upcoming WRX.

I'd still buy the OPC rather than the MPS...just cause....I don't know....it's sexier and it's a 2-door.

Have to agree!

they had the MPS vs a Evo 7 and i tell you what the evo won by ball hairs

Wraith
10th July 2007, 12:27 PM
Yep, said it before, the Mazda MPS 3 rocks :) I still wish they'd made a sedan :(

As for the car show, anyone see last weekends episode, they ripped off a top gear show idea - shooting blanks at a car being driven through a course - what a joke lol.....nice car though, was a VW R32 Golf :)

dustbug
10th July 2007, 12:30 PM
Ye i saw that, the Top Gear episode was when they were comparing the SLK55AMG vs i think the Porsche Boxter S maybe.........

but boy the R32 sounds amazing!!! i test drove one a few months back, i'm in love i tell you but the only thing is $$$$$$$ second hand one would be awsome

Wraith
10th July 2007, 12:32 PM
Yeh,that's right :) the SLK55 is one of my wish list cars :)

Most Euro V6's sound good, even my V6 Cali has got a similar nice exhaust note :)

Shaun
10th July 2007, 12:36 PM
Its time that someone pitched to the networks a real Motoring show . One like Top Gear. Maybe they could make it a spin off from Wheels or Motor Magazine and name it either.

EL BURITO
10th July 2007, 02:15 PM
Its time that someone pitched to the networks a real Motoring show . One like Top Gear. Maybe they could make it a spin off from Wheels or Motor Magazine and name it either.
the main problem being the lack of product available over here + there would be the nomal ozzie who unless its a V8 with a blue ovel or a Lion on the front they dont want to know about it.

Is there the demigraphic audiance for such a show to be made and shown to austrailas as the primary audiance?

MatsHolden
10th July 2007, 06:08 PM
the main problem being the lack of product available over here + there would be the nomal ozzie who unless its a V8 with a blue ovel or a Lion on the front they dont want to know about it.

Is there the demigraphic audiance for such a show to be made and shown to austrailas as the primary audiance?

There's more than enough products available on the Australian market and diverse customers, that easily warrants a good quality car show. If there wasn't any demand for a car show out there then "The Car Show" wouldn't be on air... So the audience is there.. but the quality in automotive show production isn't. "The Car Show" is getting worse with their obvious copying of Top Gear... and they can't even copy well!

However even if a good quality Australian automotive program does get off the ground, it will be hard not to be in the shadow of Top Gear.

Shaun
10th July 2007, 06:29 PM
There's more than enough products available on the Australian market and diverse customers, that easily warrants a good quality car show. If there wasn't any demand for a car show out there then "The Car Show" wouldn't be on air... So the audience is there.. but the quality in automotive show production isn't. "The Car Show" is getting worse with their obvious copying of Top Gear... and they can't even copy well!

However even if a good quality Australian automotive program does get off the ground, it will be hard not to be in the shadow of Top Gear.

Why should it shadow Top Gear. ??

For a start it would be an Australian Show . With Australia Presenters and would be aimed at the Australian Public. It needs to target the AUSTRALIAN public. Following Top Gears Format as a guideline should be what they do but give it a different approch. Im Sure a Televison excuitive would be able to do this.

I personally think the guys at Motor Would be the ideal for such a program.
Segments on Bang for your buck and Prefomance Car Of the Year would be great. Top gear only may have 3 presenters on the TV show but im sure that in the back ground there would be many people out there testing the cars. Most of which would be the Jurno's reviewing for the Magazine its self. Making a Magazine Based Show a much better option. Drive.com.au had one on ten i believe, which followed the Top Gear style of show with a live audiance . Only to a much smaller scale.

Wraith
10th July 2007, 06:40 PM
Isn't 'Morley' part of the Motor Mag crew....

He's already a part of channel 9's Car show....:rolleyes:

Hes reports in the Mag might be alright, but as a TV presentor he sucks IMHO !

MatsHolden
10th July 2007, 07:17 PM
Isn't 'Morley' part of the Motor Mag crew....

He's already a part of channel 9's Car show....:rolleyes:

Yeh he is. Channel 9 and Motor Magazine are tied in together seeing as Motor is owned by PBL. As is Wheels.

OPC
10th July 2007, 07:31 PM

Is that such a bad thing ?

Would it really matter ?

I think it would be a bloody awesome idea...

MatsHolden
10th July 2007, 07:38 PM
Why should it shadow Top Gear. ??

For a start it would be an Australian Show . With Australia Presenters and would be aimed at the Australian Public. It needs to target the AUSTRALIAN public. Following Top Gears Format as a guideline should be what they do but give it a different approch. Im Sure a Televison excuitive would be able to do this.

I didn't say it would shadow Top Gear... I said it would be hard not to be in Top Gear's shadow. Since Top Gear really is the benchmark of magazing motoring programs the critics and viewers will inevitably draw comparrisons to Top Gear as to whether it's the real deal or poor attempt to utilise the Top Gear model.
I'm not saying that it can't be done, but it'd have to be bloody good to stand out on it's own.

Also the fact that if such a show got off the ground out here, it would draw a lot of flack from the goody goody road safety people. The people that complain about every good car advertisement... you know the ones.

Shaun
10th July 2007, 07:51 PM
I didn't say it would shadow Top Gear... I said it would be hard not to be in Top Gear's shadow. Since Top Gear really is the benchmark of magazing motoring programs the critics and viewers will inevitably draw comparrisons to Top Gear as to whether it's the real deal or poor attempt to utilise the Top Gear model.
I'm not saying that it can't be done, but it'd have to be bloody good to stand out on it's own.

Also the fact that if such a show got off the ground out here, it would draw a lot of flack from the goody goody road safety people. The people that complain about every good car advertisement... you know the ones.

I dont see why it has to Be like that.
Now as for the " Do goods" in the world i have this to say to them. If you look at Top Gear for example. Most of the fliming is conducted on an Airport Runway. Meaning that its " Private Property" Most of the testing could be done at eastern creek or Wakefield Park in Goulburn as most of Motor's Track work is done at either of the above mentioned.

Public road filming is possible and not against any law. If this was the case i think you would find the Magazines would be in court for most of the articles.

I know what your saying with the do goods in the world and do agree to an extent. VBut what grounds do they have really in a court of Law if the reviews where speeds in excess of the legal road speed limits enforced by each state are conducted on a private airfield or race track . If anything it would be seen as positve where it would be showing people to only do it on the track.

MatsHolden
10th July 2007, 08:01 PM
Yes, film it on a track in a controlled environment but they'd say oh it's sending out the wrong message. Car advertisements that have been banned are filmed in controlled conditions, and don't show any reference to breaking the law.. but they suggest it apparently. haha What a joke. And big organisations like commercial TV networks don't like to be tarnished with being 'irresponsible' in regards to road safety. Hopefully one of the networks would have some balls and not succumb to the idiots.

Vectracious
10th July 2007, 08:01 PM
Now the real important question is... who is the Australian Jeremy Clarkson - we need some tall biased geek who talks crap - hmmmmmmmm

Vectracious
10th July 2007, 08:02 PM
Yes, film it on a track in a controlled environment but they'd say oh it's sending out the wrong message. Car advertisements that have been banned are filmed in controlled conditions, and don't show any reference to breaking the law.. but they suggest it apparently. haha What a joke. And big organisations like commercial TV networks don't like to be tarnished with being 'irrensponsible' in regards to road safety. Hopefully one of the networks would have some balls and not succumb to the idiots.

Harold Scruby and the Pedestrian Council of Australia would have a field day.....

MatsHolden
10th July 2007, 08:07 PM
Now the real important question is... who is the Australian Jeremy Clarkson - we need some tall biased geek who talks crap - hmmmmmmmm

Or stay away from trying to model a presenter on Clarkson... We don't want a try-hard clone lol. But we don't want another Glenn Ridge. I reckon someone with a real motoring background.

blueraven
10th July 2007, 08:11 PM
nah just some smokin hot chic with big boobies :D

(that is being fed her lines by someone who REALLY knows what they are taking about, and also teaches her how to drive the various cars :P )

or when mark webber gets the sack maybe a job for him? :)

Shaun
10th July 2007, 08:14 PM
Yes, film it on a track in a controlled environment but they'd say oh it's sending out the wrong message. Car advertisements that have been banned are filmed in controlled conditions, and don't show any reference to breaking the law.. but they suggest it apparently. haha What a joke. And big organisations like commercial TV networks don't like to be tarnished with being 'irrensponsible' in regards to road safety. Hopefully one of the networks would have some balls and not succumb to the idiots.

On that basis then V8 Supercars Australia should be ban from being aired on TV or any forum of Motorsport.

As the message there is " Motor Vehicles can be used in a racing enviorment"

If anything A Motoring show could be the Key to promoting Driver Awareness and Road Saftey.

In The Heavy Vehicle Industry Manfacturers like Volvo Truck Australia are right behind and supporting road saftey. If a Motoring Magazine was to do the same thing through a different form of Media at some point per episode it could help curve the attuides of Younger drivers to think about there manner.

Maybe speical Segments with people who are in the Spot light of Motorsport would be a great way to get the message across. People Like Todd Kelly and Mark winterbottom. Two Australia's Young V8 Supercar drivers could be the key to helping .

Shaun
10th July 2007, 08:19 PM
Or stay away from trying to model a presenter on Clarkson... We don't want a try-hard clone lol. But we don't want another Glenn Ridge. I reckon someone with a real motoring background.

Totally agree with you there.

(that is being fed her lines by someone who REALLY knows what they are taking about, and also teaches her how to drive the various cars :P )

Now your talking.... Or even someone Like the girl from 5th Gear who knows her stuff with killer looks.. that will draw the ratings for sure..

MatsHolden
10th July 2007, 08:28 PM
On that basis then V8 Supercars Australia should be ban from being aired on TV or any forum of Motorsport.

As the message there is " Motor Vehicles can be used in a racing enviorment"

If anything A Motoring show could be the Key to promoting Driver Awareness and Road Saftey.

In The Heavy Vehicle Industry Manfacturers like Volvo Truck Australia are right behind and supporting road saftey. If a Motoring Magazine was to do the same thing through a different form of Media at some point per episode it could help curve the attuides of Younger drivers to think about there manner.

Maybe speical Segments with people who are in the Spot light of Motorsport would be a great way to get the message across. People Like Todd Kelly and Mark winterbottom. Two Australia's Young V8 Supercar drivers could be the key to helping .

I agree.. and that's where it is stupidity. Their arguments are flawed.

CORZZA
10th July 2007, 08:32 PM
Yep, said it before, the Mazda MPS 3 rocks :) I still wish they'd made a sedan :(

As for the car show, anyone see last weekends episode, they ripped off a top gear show idea - shooting blanks at a car being driven through a course - what a joke lol.....nice car though, was a VW R32 Golf :)

The VW R32 is another beast in its own right!

Especially for N/A 3.2 lt!

OPC
10th July 2007, 09:37 PM

maybe rachelle splatt for the 1/4 mile reviews

and garth tanders missus for the track reviews

both are HOT and know their shit

and get roger cordia to be the tall geeky knucklehead who rambles on and on

Tfer
10th July 2007, 09:48 PM
maybe rachelle splatt for the 1/4 mile reviews

and garth tanders missus for the track reviews

both are HOT and know their shit

and get roger cordia to be the tall geeky knucklehead who rambles on and on

With his bandana of course..... problem is, all the talk would be muffled shit..... oh yeah, most of it already is :o :p :D

OPC
11th July 2007, 09:47 AM
bahahaha want his address ? i got it...

CORZZA
11th July 2007, 10:53 AM
Cant wait for the S3 to show its face!

MPS bye bye!

EL BURITO
11th July 2007, 10:58 AM

MPS bye bye!
but the prise tag would so hurt

yet i would love one.

OPC
11th July 2007, 11:49 AM
but the prise tag would so hurt

yet i would love one.

yup... exactly what i thought

blueraven
11th July 2007, 02:51 PM
pleeeeeaaaase let the EVO 10 be under 60k :(

(anyone wanna buy a kidney? :D)

rusole21
11th July 2007, 03:29 PM
[quote=bornwild;232868]A WRX will eat shit against an MPS(straight line).

quote]
nope your wrong again!! quarter mile times say different sonny. check it yourself.

xplosv57
11th July 2007, 06:08 PM
Spewing i missed 'The Car Show' at my school, tested 7 popular high performance cars (HSV,FPV etc) and a few weeks later tested the Polo turbo/supercharged thing!!

Also spewing cos supposedly that Sam chick got her kit off outside where everyone could see, had to change costumes or something, worth a look i guess!!!

Too bad she can't drive...
*look if i put the astra on full lock, select first gear and smash the GO pedal into the firewall, look it understeers!!!!!* GENIUS!!!!

Wraith
11th July 2007, 08:25 PM

MPS bye bye!

Your are right, but like other people have already mentioned, the price sucks :(

Wraith
11th July 2007, 08:31 PM

BR according to the latest info your outa luck, looks like it'll be between 70-80k depending on trans choice and options :( still one hell of car for the money anyways ;)

On the bright side, Oz will definitely get the lower spec ralliart Lancer variant with AWD and a new 2.4ltr direct injected turbo and that will definitely be in the 40k's region :)

Check out my thread in off topic :)

blueraven
11th July 2007, 11:36 PM
i dont see why it cant be the same price as the 9, they know they are gonna sell a million of them, and its not like the commodoore jumps 20% in price with each new model.

Wraith
12th July 2007, 09:23 AM
Yes, I see what your saying Nik, but the VE was an anomoly IMO...

Usually brand new ground up new platforms cost much more than the previous models, that's an obvious given, in the case of the VE's actually being cheaper, just shows how much GMH are trying to revive the local larger car market.

I'll bet if things were 'normal' the VE range would've had the normal new model price increases...

As for the Evo, it's never lacked popularity anyways and this new model has heaps more appeal too, hopefully it'll be no more than 65k before ORC.

From literature I've been reading, I highly doubt it'll be anywhere below that - not for an SST equipped variant anyway.

But also there's this new ralliart version to look at - it'll still have AWD, body kit and a potent 2.4ltr DI turbo engine and should be around no more than mid to high 40's on road ;)

Some tuning on that model will easily make it as quick/fast as the stock Evo and despite having a lower tech AWD system, I reckon it'll still be good enough to satisfy most :)

EL BURITO
12th July 2007, 09:27 AM
and there will be heaps more wannabies plastering there cars with rallyart decals.

Ok yes it will make the brand a little more accsesable, I just want to see wat the end result is. Eg. how many of these do we see and the rep they get.

Wraith
12th July 2007, 10:31 AM
That, unfortunalely happens with all cars, even HSV wannabies are out there everywhere lol ....

With Evos, one of the popular nik names for these is 'thievos' lol :D

As far as how wide spread they'll be, I predict it'll be a similar situation and culture to the basic wrx's in years to come.

They are designed to directly compete with that car and I assume they'll be that lil bit better, just like the Evo is that lil bit better than the sti.

The lower price of the ralliart variant, also makes them more accessible than the higher priced top spec Evo - actually a good point for the Evo in terms of exclusiveness...

OPC
12th July 2007, 10:35 AM

just get a IX nick... they look way better than the X... and cheaper

EL BURITO
12th July 2007, 10:42 AM
just get a IX nick... they look way better than the X... and cheaper
Nik just keep hinting at Julian to get a X and buy his IX. How much work has he had done to it now. then let some one rear end you and i will buy your engine.

blueraven
12th July 2007, 12:01 PM
Deal.
(but i told you before..you want my engine..my leather..and a slightly bigger car...just by my damn whole car :D )

(but i want a new car for my next one :( )