PDA

View Full Version : First Service

SIMid
25th May 2007, 11:06 AM
3000kms, change the oil or not? She's going in tomorrow morning.

Doesnt state in the handbook, only inspection ..... but have others requested their Opels lubed on the first service?

I know the engines are run in on a dyno, but do they change the oil before installation?

oneightoo
25th May 2007, 11:15 AM
i always thought the first oil in was a thin oil to help clean our iregularities and gets changed to a "normal" oil at the first service??

Wraith
25th May 2007, 11:19 AM
Always a good idea to change the oil on the 1st service, regardless of car/engine type and usually done after the first 1000-1500km ;)

Tfer
25th May 2007, 11:35 AM
i always thought the first oil in was a thin oil to help clean our iregularities and gets changed to a "normal" oil at the first service??

That's what I thought too.... I would have them change it anyway.... keep the warranty safe :cool:

MK
25th May 2007, 12:05 PM
i had it changed...mine is only a 1.8

JasonGilholme
25th May 2007, 12:28 PM
Change it. Its not gonna hurt it if you do.

digifish
25th May 2007, 03:59 PM
It can't hurt. BUT it's unlikely to matter in the long run.

But you feel good doing it.

I had the oil and filter changed on my CDTi @ 3000 km, and switched to fully synthetic at the same time.

digifish

Poogene2001
25th May 2007, 04:34 PM
None of that makes any sense...
Surely, the manufacturer knows best (not to mention is trying to squeeze every dollar they can out of you), so why doubt what it says in the handbook?
By not changing the oil, you arent jeapordising your warranty or doing any damage to your engine. As long as the oil level is sufficient it will be fine until the 15,000km service.

If we use the "it wont do any harm" logic then why not change the oil once a week? It certainly won't do it any harm. Change the transmission oil, that wont do any harm. Flush the power steering fluid? That couldnt possibly do any harm. Flush out brake fluid and coolant? Again, no harm there. The only harm that it does is to your wallet, so why waste the $45 to replace oil that Holden/Opel/Vauxhall says will last til 15,000km?

Go any buy yourself some Opel Flash wheel nuts or something, atleast that will look good. Oh, and it wont do any harm...

JasonGilholme
25th May 2007, 04:57 PM
If we use the "it wont do any harm" logic then why not change the oil once a week? It certainly won't do it any harm. Change the transmission oil, that wont do any harm. Flush the power steering fluid? That couldnt possibly do any harm. Flush out brake fluid and coolant? Again, no harm there. The only harm that it does is to your wallet, so why waste the $45 to replace oil that Holden/Opel/Vauxhall says will last til 15,000km?

Its just the way people think. Some people are mechanically minded where as some are asthetically minded.

I change my oil & oil filter every 5,000k's. Plugs every 10,000 k's and tranny fluid every 10,000 - 20,000 depending on how it feels.

Brake and clutch gets changed whenever it starts to feel weird.

I'd rather spend the money and have a long lasting engine.

SIMid
25th May 2007, 05:11 PM
I was told by a mechanic (years ago) that the oil in the engine actually works better after a few thousand KMs (heating up and cooling down). And depending on the grade, it will eventually breakdown and depending on the filter, if this fails to filter properly, well, you know the result.

Food for thought. I personally didn't believe him regarding "running in the oil", but it sorta sounds logical.

I know what you mean poog, bought a Gemini that blew smoke even though it had been serviced regularly. So I had that mentality (gotta change the oil before it's too late) and now it's a cash cow for some dealers.

I wont be doing that much KMs anyway so I'll be servicing once a year before the due KMs. I'll have a chat and suss it out with their mechs. Probably will do it as I am running her in anyway, but 10-12K is what I'm thinking for servicing, it's 2000 technology, not like the 80s when it's 5K! *LOL* The engineering now is alot more precise and the materials were different back then. Even some cars are now servicing every 20K! :eek:

10K sounds extreme for plug changes, U running candles? jk

And no Opel flash nuts, something Wraith would use, not me.:p

Poogene2001
25th May 2007, 05:34 PM
Dont get me wrong, im not saying leave the bonnet closed until she blows smoke or doesnt turn over one morning. I'm all for regular oil level checks (even checking the colour and condition), regular air filter inspections, and that sort of stuff.... but it costs enough running a car as it is (I've just received my rego and insurance bills!! :eek: ) so why waste money on unnecessary maintenance?? Just my 2 cents.

JasonGilholme
25th May 2007, 05:43 PM
I don't think its unnecessary tho. Thats just my opinion however.

Plus if ya DIY you save HEAPS on labour so it is much more affordable then.

SIMid
25th May 2007, 07:46 PM
Just pulled out the books and had a look at the "Extended Warranty". Not sure if all you Diesel and Turbo owners out there realise that you are meant to get your Astras (& mine) serviced by them every 5000kms!

....... might as well change the oil then! Wonder how much THEY charge to sting me every 3 months ........

digifish
25th May 2007, 09:35 PM
Just pulled out the books and had a look at the "Extended Warranty". Not sure if all you Diesel and Turbo owners out there realise that you are meant to get your Astras (& mine) serviced by them every 5000kms!

....... might as well change the oil then! Wonder how much THEY charge to sting me every 3 months ........

Indeed. Mine however states that's after the 3 year warranty period expires.

I get $2000 maxiumum per claim.

My policy states that I should have my car serviced 6 monthly/10K @ $169.

However as I am a CDTi owner I need 3 monthly oil changes...that's a bit frequent....given I do about 12,000 km/yr will be every 3,000 km...I may have a chat with them about that one :)

digifish

digifish
25th May 2007, 09:45 PM
None of that makes any sense...
Surely, the manufacturer knows best (not to mention is trying to squeeze every dollar they can out of you), so why doubt what it says in the handbook?
By not changing the oil, you arent jeapordising your warranty or doing any damage to your engine. As long as the oil level is sufficient it will be fine until the 15,000km service.

Go any buy yourself some Opel Flash wheel nuts or something, atleast that will look good. Oh, and it wont do any harm...

I think you are being a bit dramatic.

Yes it makes sense, the manufacturers are in competition with each other to extend service intervals as its a selling point on the cars. The manufacturers only make money on filters anyway, so it's no big deal to them to lengthen the oil change by 5K.

You will notice that the manuals state - severe driving conditions shorten this interval. You will also notice it's left quite vague how to determine if your particular car is subject to this...but generally it includes, lots of short runs, cold starts, dusty conditions etc. Sounds reasonable...but again the number/distance/duration of these is not clearly defined. It gives them an out.

So the manufacturers hint that shorter service intervals may be required.

...and from what I know about engine wear, keeping the oil clean/fresh is about the best thing you can do, after taking it easy until the car warms up. So no it won't do any harm and may do some good.

No-one suggested weekly oil changes. People are suggesting 3000 km oil change (to rid the engine of any contaminants that may have entered during manufacture) and then whatever you want after that. I still think somewhere around 7,000 km is a reasonable compromise...particularly given the way most of us drive our cars is classified as 'severe' when you read the fine print :)

...so let's call a truce, I won't complain about how much milk you pour on your cereal each morning and you won't complain how often I change my oil. :P

digifish

Poogene2001
25th May 2007, 11:18 PM
But i like lots of milk....

And what it boils down to at the end of the day is whether you are prepared to spend the extra $$$. If i could afford something with a turbo, and if I drove it on dirt roads on a regular basis, then I would certainly consider dropping the oil between services. My 1.8 Ecotec does not experience anything more severe than me hitting the rev limiter once a month, so she will only be getting new oil every 12th.

SIMid
26th May 2007, 02:15 PM
Had the service done and requested them to change the oil and filter.

They called me up 30 minutes later, "I'm sorry to inform you that we cannot change the oil filter as we do not have the part, do you still want us to change the oil?".

What a joke.

Picked up the car and it was semi washed, the roof only.:rolleyes: