PDA

View Full Version : HSV eyes off the VXR Corsa

dug74
23rd May 2007, 09:54 PM
Yeah i know you have all been thinking it...

But i read in a mag today...

The new boss of HSV is considering bringing the VXR Corsa to Australia <finally>

Turbo HSV Barina?

It looks so sweet, and promises to go quicker than a tray of half-price mangoes at the market. But sadly, it won't be coming to Australia... Or will it?
Though the Barina nameplate that the Corsa previously filled has been taken over by a Korean car in Australia, it is still a possibility that HSV could make a business case for the hi-po Corsa/Barina. With its boosted 1.6-litre engine, it's plenty fast and has a very muscular look for something so small. With a name like the HSV Corsa VXR, the car would avoid a nasty clash with Holden's current Barina name, and will be sold for about $30,000. We wait in hope...

The HSV boss said there was a growing market in compact hot hatches as climate change and global warning affect the larger car industry. With newcomers Ford <XR4>, Mazda <MPS2> and Nissan Micra SSS arriving soon on the market, we need to rethink our strategies to develop a great and reliable product of our own. The whole small car market has changed over recent years and many rivals such as Ralliart Colt and Polo GTi already sapping market share from other classes with their high powered small 4 turbo engines.

Well i personally hope Holden do bring the Corsa VXR downunder and maybe then also bring the rest of the Corsa D range...and get rid of those 1999 Daewoo Kalos.

Cheers
DUG74

EL BURITO
23rd May 2007, 10:12 PM
I can only live in my dream. or maby not

Calibrated
23rd May 2007, 10:15 PM
Fingers crossed...Please Holden..you know what the right decision is!!!

cyclonic
23rd May 2007, 10:16 PM
I'll believe it when I see it, but it'll be hard for Holden/HSV to make a business case for it, unless they're prepared to make a loss to get in at a reasonable price.

Fingers crossed!

Calibrated
23rd May 2007, 10:20 PM
I'll believe it when I see it, but it'll be hard for Holden/HSV to make a business case for it, unless they're prepared to make a loss to get in at a reasonable price.

Fingers crossed!

even if they only bring in a limited amount. it WILL sell...

EL BURITO
23rd May 2007, 10:24 PM
but if you do the exchange from UK it will be $38,000

then again that has alot more tax on it

dieselhead
24th May 2007, 07:35 AM
Burito, that's not an indication at all. My Astra would cost $45,000 following that logic. I reckon the Corsa VXR would sell well for low $30k, besting competitors like Polo GTI, Renault Clio Sport and Peugeot 207 GTI. It looks so much fresher than any of those cars and would also carry the HSV badge, suggesting it belongs to another league :)

Red AH SRI T
24th May 2007, 08:12 AM
HSV eyes Corsa VXR

German GTI Jnr: Opel/Vauxhall Corsa VXR could be HSV’s key to securing younger buyers.

Hot German baby leads a number of Opel VXR models under assessment by HSV

By BYRON MATHIOUDAKIS 23 May 2007

HOLDEN SPECIAL VEHICLES (HSV) has revealed that it is assessing the viability of importing the Opel/Vauxhall Corsa VXR into Australia.

The German-engineered, 225km/h, front-wheel drive three-door hot hatch rival to the likes of the Renault Clio Sport may lead a host of imports that HSV is looking at from Opel and elsewhere in General Motors’ global empire.

It is significant that HSV is considering cars that Holden has elected not to put into its showrooms, usually for cost-related reasons.

If it gets the green light, the Corsa VXR would slot underneath the $42,990 AH Astra VXR that HSV has been selling here since September last year.

“There are some European cars in the GM family that we are having a close look at in the smaller variety ... (and) I’m quite open in saying that the Corsa is one of those,” said HSV chairman John Crennan.

“We are assessing the business case for doing it. That’s an opportunity area.”

However, Mr Crennan was careful to stress that the baby HSV is still quite some time away from the showroom floor.

“We are a long way from doing it,” he underlined.

Mr Crennan also revealed that he does not intend HSV to be limited by the models that Holden elects to import.

“We don’t necessarily have to replicate the range that Holden are bringing in. We have other alternatives as well to broaden that portfolio.”

The hot-hatch version of General Motors’ fourth-generation Corsa light car has just been introduced across Europe, following its unveiling at the Geneva Motor Show in March.

It uses a turbocharged 1.6-litre twin-cam four-cylinder engine, to deliver around 141kW of power at 5850rpm and 260Nm of torque at 1980rpm.

In Vauxhall Corsa VXR guise in the UK, it races from 0-100km/h in just 7.2 seconds.

More startling for a potential HSV vehicle, the Opel returns a combined fuel figure of 7.4 litres per 100km.

Underneath, Opel revised the suspension springs and dampers, electric power steering settings and implemented revised stability control algorithms, which also affect the anti-lock brakes and traction controls.

The VXR has the extrovert looks associated with an HSV product, starting with 18-inch wheels, an in-your-face body kit featuring a deep front bumper/air dam combination, a triangular exhaust port set within a rear diffuser, a prominent grille design, a huge rear spoiler, racer-style side mirrors and integrated side skirts.

Among a host of airbag and comfort-related items are a flat-bottomed steering wheel, Recaro sports seats, classy piano-black trim and the usual lashings of silver metallic-look trim.

European press reaction to the Corsa VXR has been positive, placing the Corsa VXR in the same league (a first for a baby Opel) as the Clio, Mini Cooper S and the new Peugeot 207 GTI.

Corsa is the GM light car that Opel AG in Germany co-developed with Fiat (spawning the Punto released here last year). It was overlooked by Holden on cost grounds in favour of the Daewoo Kalos from South Korea for the TK Barina.

Holden imported the Corsa VXR’s direct predecessor into Australia as the Opel-made XC Barina SRi. That was a much more tepid car, however, as it was powered by a 92kW/165Nm 1.8-litre ECOTEC four-cylinder engine.

Mr Crennan told GoAuto that HSV is open to a wider range of go-faster Opels.

One of the more promising is the eventual VXR treatment that Opel is planning to give to its approaching medium-sized replacement for the boxy and unloved Vectra.

This car is a ground-up redesign that is expected to dispense with the long-running Vectra nameplate for something with less negative baggage; Insignia is a possibility.

Holden has already committed to the Daewoo Magnus/Tosca-derived Epica from South Korea, so there is no chance for now that the new Opel will find it way into Holden’s showrooms.

Although this September’s Frankfurt motor show is the likely venue for the next Vectra/Insignia’s global debut, the VXR version is still thought to be at least a year away from a European launch.

So any HSV model that may eventuate is also potentially years away.

We also understand that a coupe derivation of this vehicle is in the pipeline for HSV to consider, as a belated replacement for the 1990s Opel Calibra that Holden sold here unsuccessfully during that time.

Nevertheless, this does not mean that HSV is working independently of Holden in import or export matters.

In the past HSV tended to commence overseas negotiations only after Holden had worked out its deal.

“We would be on the next plane out to them,” said Mr Crennan.

Today, Holden and HSV are said to operate on these matters as a team, as both companies leverage each other for maximum mutual gain.

“Now we are now working much more closely and in concert with Holden exports department on their activities.

“And it also makes sense for them to be able to roll out their range of products and include in initial stages an opportunity for HSV.”

HSV realises that a wider product range is needed to snare the increasingly more affluent younger buyers into its product range, and understands that offering worked-over European vehicles that are exclusive to it has broad appeal that can only benefit the brand.

“We are no longer restricted to being the V8 Car Company,” said HSV’s new managing director, Scott Grant.

from www.goauto.com.au

GreyRex
24th May 2007, 09:24 AM
Well i say any talk is better than no talk at all

dieselhead
24th May 2007, 09:40 AM
Maybe we should just forget the Corsa. If you're in the market for a very hot mini, try the Abarth Punto that is not that far away now :)

btm
24th May 2007, 09:41 AM
damn it'd be a fun little car to fly around in

Tfer
24th May 2007, 10:30 AM
Well i say any talk is better than no talk at all

Agreed totally...... :dance:

reedaaron
24th May 2007, 10:47 AM
i'll take one... won't get too excited yet :p
but yeah, i agree.. some talk is better than none..

Red AH SRI T
24th May 2007, 11:23 AM
Maybe we should just forget the Corsa. If you're in the market for a very hot mini, try the Abarth Punto that is not that far away now :)

Why? The Corsa is the same car underneath and has more power than the Punto.

Orion_996
24th May 2007, 11:28 AM
IF (a big if) they release it, i would strongly consider trading my SRiT in for it. Looks good, sounds good, so why not?

Calibrated
24th May 2007, 11:53 AM
i will pretend i didnt read that.

Shaun
24th May 2007, 12:27 PM
Mr Crennan makes very strong argument there. And with HSV New Managing Director Scott Grant I believe the Assult is on to Branch out into other Markets is growing Stronger. Corsa VXR may be a long way off though but at least HSV are looking into other options. As i said in the Past. Its good to see HSV are branching out into other Ideas. The market is there for it. And there V8 Product is Alot more Refined these days. In my mind the E Series is the Most classy HSV Range to date.

Hopefully it will happen. As they say why do Holden Have to import the Corsa to add it to there range. But its still only in evalation. Dont be suprised if we see a Corsa VXR on the Stand at this years Sydney Motor show as an Evaluation excerise.

blueraven
24th May 2007, 12:43 PM
Pleeeeease bring in the opel vx220 speedster :( .. its a freaking lotus exige at half the price tag. no idea why they havent brought it in to compete (obliterate) the mx-5 sales. has the z20let engine in it, and the rest is mostly lotus, sells for about the same price as an mx5, but obliterates it in perfermance.

http://www.insidetracknews.com/blog/sw-vxr220.jpg

Shaun
24th May 2007, 12:44 PM
Pleeeeease bring in the opel vx220 speedster :( .. its a freaking lotus exige at half the price tag. no idea why they havent brought it in to compete (obliterate) the mx-5 sales.

VX220 Is out of Production. But would have been Awesome had the brought them out here.

oneightoo
24th May 2007, 12:45 PM
id have bought one.. i'd still buy one..

Shaun
24th May 2007, 12:48 PM
Corsa VXR will be a wepon if they are green lighted.

OPC
24th May 2007, 01:23 PM
Corsa VXR will be a wepon if they are green lighted.

fukin oath shaun

and that comment about the punto...id give it the PUNT before i drove a PUNTO

Ishley
24th May 2007, 01:23 PM
I would certainly consider one.... I love the look of them :D

OH im excited now :dance:

Red AH SRI T
24th May 2007, 02:16 PM
do you need tissues?

Calibrated
24th May 2007, 02:58 PM
VX220 Is out of Production. But would have been Awesome had the brought them out here.
The standard VX is out of production..
The Turbo is still in production.

JasonGilholme
24th May 2007, 03:55 PM
MX5 is poo.

Corsa VXR would walk over it lol.

My CRX walks all over them, even in the twisties (worlds best handling car my ass!)

I'd buy a VXR corsa if i needed a new car with some pace on tap.

dieselhead
24th May 2007, 04:30 PM
Why? The Corsa is the same car underneath and has more power than the Punto.

um don't think so, i was talking about this one:
" Powered by a 2000 cc aspirated engine that delivers 270 bhp (200kW), with 4-wheel drive, the new Grande Punto Abarth S2000".
As you can see, that's got way more powah than Astra VXR, and since it is all wheel drive, would be an interesting alternative to STi and Evo...

http://www.autocult.com.au/BlogDetail.aspx?id=536

Ishley
24th May 2007, 05:17 PM
do you need tissues?
I didnt mean that "kind" of excitement.

GOD Kurt get your mind off my genitals! :p

Calibrated
24th May 2007, 05:24 PM
um don't think so, i was talking about this one:
" Powered by a 2000 cc aspirated engine that delivers 270 bhp (200kW), with 4-wheel drive, the new Grande Punto Abarth S2000".
As you can see, that's got way more powah than Astra VXR, and since it is all wheel drive, would be an interesting alternative to STi and Evo...

http://www.autocult.com.au/BlogDetail.aspx?id=536

how the fcuk did they get 200kw NA out of a 2l at factory spec? damn!!...
Well, keep in mind the corsa is turbo, so there will be alot of untapped power..

lampshade
24th May 2007, 05:55 PM
Pleeeeease bring in the opel vx220 speedster :(

I had a chat with the guy who done my compliance check about bringing one over and he said it's not on the list of approved vehicles and it would take 18months to get the green light:( , still tempted to give it a go;) a truely awesome car.

Calibrated
24th May 2007, 06:02 PM
I had a chat with the guy who done my compliance check about bringing one over and he said it's not on the list of approved vehicles and it would take 18months to get the green light:( , still tempted to give it a go;) a truely awesome car.
that doesnt make any sense...:mad:

xplosv57
24th May 2007, 06:06 PM
141kW Barina factory, gee that'd be a cool car, but would it sell, especially considering Holden doesn't even sell the normal euro Corsa/Barina here anymore, would look odd in the line up!!!!

But hey im all for it!!

Pricing would be another issue as i assume the Corsa VXR is quicker than an Astra Turbo, so it'd have to be in between the Astra Turbo and Astra VXR!!!!

MatsHolden
24th May 2007, 08:15 PM
I'm more than happy to eat my own words if they bring it! I still have my doubts about the talk becoming actions...

EL BURITO
24th May 2007, 09:00 PM
If they doont they are right in saying they will get left behind.

+ if they did they would be only 1 of 2 "Perfomance Brands" to have a car under there flag

Shaun
24th May 2007, 09:15 PM
Soon know how good they are when Aussie's wife gets one.

Tfer
25th May 2007, 07:50 AM
"Mr Crennan told GoAuto that HSV is open to a wider range of go-faster Opels.

One of the more promising is the eventual VXR treatment that Opel is planning to give to its approaching medium-sized replacement for the boxy and unloved Vectra.

This car is a ground-up redesign that is expected to dispense with the long-running Vectra nameplate for something with less negative baggage; Insignia is a possibility.

Holden has already committed to the Daewoo Magnus/Tosca-derived Epica from South Korea, so there is no chance for now that the new Opel will find it way into Holden’s showrooms.

Although this September’s Frankfurt motor show is the likely venue for the next Vectra/Insignia’s global debut, the VXR version is still thought to be at least a year away from a European launch.

So any HSV model that may eventuate is also potentially years away.

We also understand that a coupe derivation of this vehicle is in the pipeline for HSV to consider, as a belated replacement for the 1990s Opel Calibra that Holden sold here unsuccessfully during that time."

from "Hot German baby leads a number of Opel VXR models under assessment by HSV

By BYRON MATHIOUDAKIS 23 May 2007"

And whilst I can understand whoever for wanting to ditch the Vectra nameplate (purely from a pure marketing and sales perspective)...... this tidbit of information is very interesting.....

No HSV Epidemic :wall: (Doh, as if we didn't know that HSV would not touch this pice of crap)
Possible HSV Vectra/Insignia VXR
Replacment HSV Calibra/Vectra Coupe/Insignia Coupe VXRBut hey, if these do not come to fruitition, the Corsa VXR would be a wonderful weekend car for me :shifty: :think: :drool: :D

btm
25th May 2007, 09:15 AM
Soon know how good they are when Aussie's wife gets one.

really?

is he going to tune the fuk out of it too? :D

EL BURITO
25th May 2007, 04:01 PM
really?

not from wat i have read i thnk he was just going exhaust and lowering

then again so do a few pppl and we know wat happans there

oneightoo
25th May 2007, 04:43 PM

what are the costs involved?

aussie_in_london
25th May 2007, 06:14 PM
The standard VX is out of production..
The Turbo is still in production.

no vx220 are still in production, all the VXR220 have been complete for some years and so to the VX turbos, the closest thing to the VX now is the Lotus Europa which has all the underpinnings of the VX and the turbo power plant

aussie_in_london
25th May 2007, 06:29 PM

few options my wife is looking at, but first will be the milltek exhaust and remap, brakes, either the AP 4 pots with 343 mm discs or uprate brake fluid and braided hoses, suspension, uprated and 30mm drop on KW springs or the KW coilovers, this should make it a very compitent bit of machinary that will give my astra a scare out on track.

W are looking at doing a long weekend to the Nurburgring in July/Aug and taking both cars, the word is the corsa may be with us in possibly 2 weeks but we shall see : )

Shaun
25th May 2007, 11:58 PM
few options my wife is looking at, but first will be the milltek exhaust and remap, brakes, either the AP 4 pots with 343 mm discs or uprate brake fluid and braided hoses, suspension, uprated and 30mm drop on KW springs or the KW coilovers, this should make it a very compitent bit of machinary that will give my astra a scare out on track.

W are looking at doing a long weekend to the Nurburgring in July/Aug and taking both cars, the word is the corsa may be with us in possibly 2 weeks but we shall see : )

I wish i could come to Nurburgring with you guys... would be an awesome trip.

OPC
27th May 2007, 05:30 PM

gee is that all ur gunna do ?
most here are happy just to put a POD filter on their cars hehehehe

Shaun
27th May 2007, 08:48 PM

Made plenty of sense too me

poita
27th May 2007, 08:56 PM
if you go to nurburg please let us know :)
we can spot you on the nurburg webcam then, with an opelaus flag of course ;)

Calibrated
27th May 2007, 08:59 PM
Made plenty of sense too me

I was referring to it not being on the "approved vehicles list"

who determines what vehicles are approved and what not?

Shaun
27th May 2007, 09:04 PM

I was referring to it not being on the "approved vehicles list"

who determines what vehicles are approved and what not?

What you think that They just through them on a boat and send them over. The need to meet ADR. (Australian Design Rule) They need to evaluate the cost of the program. they need to be able to put a busniess case forward that can be approved by the powers that be at HSV . Its got to be a Viable program for them to do it. by the time all this is done it will take up to 18 months before the stock arrives. they will do a case study of clients. It took 18 months from the Sydney motorshow too the realse of the HSV VXR Astra . As ive said before. if we see one @ the sydney motorshow then we will know they are considering it . it was the same with the VXR Astra. this time 2 years ago we seen the 1st mentions of HSV looking into bringing the car into the country. then October 05 we got our 1st look at the "concept" car at the Sydney Motorshow.

Calibrated
27th May 2007, 09:11 PM
What you think that They just through them on a boat and send them over. The need to meet ADR. (Australian Design Rule) They need to evaluate the cost of the program. they need to be able to put a busniess case forward that can be approved by the powers that be at HSV . Its got to be a Viable program for them to do it. by the time all this is done it will take up to 18 months before the stock arrives. they will do a case study of clients. It took 18 months from the Sydney motorshow too the realse of the HSV VXR Astra . As ive said before. if we see one @ the sydney motorshow then we will know they are considering it . it was the same with the VXR Astra. this time 2 years ago we seen the 1st mentions of HSV looking into bringing the car into the country. then October 05 we got our 1st look at the "concept" car at the Sydney Motorshow.

i know how it works..
They just take their sweet time with it.
we complain in SA if a car takes more than 6 months from launch to arrive.

Shaun
28th May 2007, 12:36 PM
i know how it works..
They just take their sweet time with it.
we complain in SA if a car takes more than 6 months from launch to arrive.

South Africa is closer to Europe then Australia. The market there is different to Australia as well. We have over 50 Brands in the Australian Market. Its a Large market but also a Pin size market in the scale of the World market.

Calibrated
28th May 2007, 12:44 PM
Distance is irrelavent.. it still needs to be shipped.
And we also have every brand that you do...except we have Opel and not Holden..
And our commodores are Chev Lumina's, and Daewoo is its own brand.

Shaun
28th May 2007, 01:01 PM
Distance is irrelavent.. it still needs to be shipped.
And we also have every brand that you do...except we have Opel and not Holden..
And our commodores are Chev Lumina's, and Daewoo is its own brand.

Market scaling im refering too. You would find that the Opel Product in south africa would out sell the Holden Badged Opel Product in Australia.

Australia is a dot in the whole world maket . Hence why we have limited models of Overseas produced cars and Options are kept down becuase of this.

None the less im Hoping that HSV Green Light the Corsa VXR . Its a move forward for HSV if they do.

dieselhead
30th May 2007, 09:37 PM
In the latest 5th Gear episode the Corsa VXR is tested against the new Clio Sport. The French is not only quicker, despite having less power and a bit more weight, but is also more fun to drive, according to the tester.
Now, don't shoot the messenger, ok? No my fault I got very, very bored while waiting for the Top Gear boys to return...

digifish
30th May 2007, 10:12 PM
In the latest 5th Gear episode the Corsa VXR is tested against the new Clio Sport. The French is not only quicker, despite having less power and a bit more weight, but is also more fun to drive, according to the tester.
Now, don't shoot the messenger, ok? No my fault I got very, very bored while waiting for the Top Gear boys to return...

...youtube or bit-torrent?

digifish

dieselhead
30th May 2007, 10:51 PM
um, bt... from eztv...

Shaun
31st May 2007, 12:13 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9152b58Mvk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jn8RaczK4-M&mode=related&search=

cyclonic
31st May 2007, 01:55 AM
I've seen this episode already. I'd still have the Corsa... with a few mods of course.

GreyRex
1st June 2007, 02:36 PM
Page 7 of the Cars Guide in the Herald Sun in Victoria, there is basically a whole page article on how HSV is seriously considering the Corsa VXR. More or less repeating what we already know, but being publicised more widely, which is good. In summary, they realise that they need to keep on top of a market that they can possibly tap into, approximate 35K pricetag, here within the next 18 months if it gets the go ahead:)

dug74
1st June 2007, 04:40 PM
After watching Fifth Gear....i would probably take the Reno 197 over the corsa VXR...

As it seem more fun and took the corners better...love FWD drifting.

But to the corsa's credit it was very fast....faster than the cilo....due to more torque.

I wouldnt complain if given one....but im sure holden will charge too much as always...so you would be able to find plenty more options in the small hot hatch segment.

I know this maybe swearing....but i think the Fiesta ST <XR4> that hits the streets next week...will really take off..if ford have the stock...

$24,990 for a hot little hatch...which will help all the youngster with no turbo...so cheap insurance.

Cheers
DUG74

OPC
1st June 2007, 05:22 PM
I know this maybe swearing....but i think the Fiesta ST <XR4> that hits the streets next week...will really take off..if ford have the stock...

$24,990 for a hot little hatch...which will help all the youngster with no turbo...so cheap insurance.

Cheers
DUG74

maybe NOOKIE WETSTAR will buy one ay dug ;)

Calibrated
1st June 2007, 05:57 PM
After watching Fifth Gear....i would probably take the Reno 197 over the corsa VXR...

As it seem more fun and took the corners better...love FWD drifting.

But to the corsa's credit it was very fast....faster than the cilo....due to more torque.

I wouldnt complain if given one....but im sure holden will charge too much as always...so you would be able to find plenty more options in the small hot hatch segment.

Cheers
DUG74

We've had te Fiesta ST in sa for quite a while now..and its not that impressive...its a nice car though, but just lacking something special in the performance department.

Oh, and FWD drifting does not exist, its called oversteering and ass coming out.....*with some handbrake assistance..

Alfonzo
1st June 2007, 07:19 PM
Oh, and FWD drifting does not existOh come on - you've never put maccas trays under your rears? :D

Calibrated
1st June 2007, 07:23 PM
Oh come on - you've never put maccas trays under your rears? :D

hahah...:D..thats cheating!

We'll create a new drifting league, called M1...:p