PDA

View Full Version : Major power loss in first! SRiT

opal
17th May 2007, 09:33 PM
hey guys, over the last 2 months i've noticed a sudden drop in power if i rev first up to 6-7 k.
it just cuts out and then does not respond until i change gear... i've not noticed it before.
Is this a safety thing or have i screwed something (manifold etc?). my warranty expires next week so i need to act quickly.

Huhness
17th May 2007, 10:05 PM
i'm pretty sure is has a limiter on it so can only go to 6500RPM and i don't know if there is much power to gain that high in the revs anyway? :confused:

correct me if i'm wrong though because this is only an assumption! :o

EL BURITO
17th May 2007, 10:44 PM
i'm pretty sure is has a limiter on it so can only go to 6500RPM and i don't know if there is much power to gain that high in the revs anyway? :confused:

correct me if i'm wrong though because this is only an assumption! :o
sound right when looking at a Corsa

MatsHolden
17th May 2007, 11:26 PM
It's not a Formula One engine... lol From the way you've described it there it simply sounds like you are hitting the rev limiter. Maybe we're not quite getting what you're trying to explain?

luvpsi
17th May 2007, 11:36 PM
the rev limiter on the sri-t (which im assuming you drive) is around 6800 rpm or around there but the poor little stock turbo (especially if you are running the standard ECU map) is out of puff in that rev-range and literally feels gutless:( with the flash its much better though, but the turbo is still a bit too small to be making good power above 6000 rpm

aznpsuazn
18th May 2007, 01:22 AM
As far as i know 1st and 2nd gear have a rev limit of 6500 followed by 6200 in the gears thereafter.

Its quite normal that you dont feel any power up at that area because
1. being a smaller k04(i think) the boost comes on early and puffs out up high. it doest hold high boost for long periods very well. The car was designed with drivability in mind so most of the boost is in the mid range.

Wouldnt be surprised if it was also the traction control limiting your throttle because of the wheelspin you are bound to get in first gear.

Wraith
18th May 2007, 08:38 AM
It's not a Formula One engine... lol From the way you've described it there it simply sounds like you are hitting the rev limiter.

Agree :)

May I ask, what the hell are you doing pushing the poor little turbo on this type of car to 7,000rpm in 1st for ??

Stock standard, the power curve will drop off way before that and the torque curve even sooner at around 4,500-5,000rpm, so it's totally pointless !

Mod/tune your engine and then you could take advantage of higher revving potential or limits ;)

aznpsuazn
18th May 2007, 09:48 AM
I think you should drive a honda vtec motor.

gman
18th May 2007, 10:05 AM
hey guys, over the last 2 months i've noticed a sudden drop in power if i rev first up to 6-7 k.
it just cuts out and then does not respond until i change gear... i've not noticed it before.
Is this a safety thing or have i screwed something (manifold etc?). my warranty expires next week so i need to act quickly.

You've hit the rev limiter as everyone here has said...

Theres no point revving an SRI-T that hard as your making more noise than power..Turbo's too small, it don't got no VTEC et al so no point...

And unless you can wipe the ECU flash memory, if you've bounced it off the rev limiter a couple of time, the ECU will have it all logged in there for Holden to say "this car has been abused, no warranty".....

auzvectra
18th May 2007, 11:36 AM
they never said that to me :D.
our rev limter runs a fuel cut, so when u hit it, it has no power for a while, i think about 2-3 secs, but seem like a lifetime when u want to boot it ;).
the stock rev limits are low=6400 high=6800.
it will not hit the high rev limit under 75kmh, under 83 deg coolant temp, and for more then 2 seconds.
oh and mine in stock form peaked power at 5800, and lost no more then 5% of that till rev limit!

JasonGilholme
18th May 2007, 11:37 AM
I think you should drive a honda vtec motor.

Exactly what i was gonna say :p

opal
18th May 2007, 02:40 PM
Agree :)

May I ask, what the hell are you doing pushing the poor little turbo on this type of car to 7,000rpm in 1st for ??

Stock standard, the power curve will drop off way before that and the torque curve even sooner at around 4,500-5,000rpm, so it's totally pointless !

Mod/tune your engine and then you could take advantage of higher revving potential or limits ;)

yeah ok point taken...
but i've not driven a turbo before and with the warranty coming to an end, i thought i'd see what this baby could do:)

looks like i need to make an appointment to see Dr Turblue...

Wraith
20th May 2007, 09:16 PM
:eek: Doctor Turblue lol :D

I think he might quite like that :)