PDA

View Full Version : Build Plate / Build Sticker

robramjet
16th May 2007, 02:23 PM
Hey, my first real post, brought on by some recent unpleasantness :(

If the build plate/sticker in a Holden is so damn precious and necessary, then why is it a puny liitle black sticker that I can peel off in 2 seconds rather than a metal plate riveted to the body of the car like the compliance plate?

Is it a common occurrance to lose these stickers?

daaaaavek
16th May 2007, 03:19 PM
Mine is a stamped aluminium plate pop-riveted to the upper radiator support chassis.

maloo97
16th May 2007, 03:46 PM
Mine is a stamped aluminium plate pop-riveted to the upper radiator support chassis.

Same as Dave k's.

I think that little sticker is from opel ? ?

robramjet
16th May 2007, 03:59 PM
Maybe it's only the Astra then? My Classic hatch had one and my new wagon has one, and it's just a tiny black sticker stuck on the top of the radiator support chassis. The one on my hatch mysteriously disappeared and the dealer I bought the wagon off screwed me because of it, devalued my trade-in.

maloo97
16th May 2007, 04:03 PM
i have a Cd hatch and had a cdx wagon and yes they had / have those little black stickers but they also have the build stamped aluminium plate pop-riveted to the upper radiator support chassis.

oneightoo
16th May 2007, 04:10 PM
never heard of a build sticker..

all build plates should be a rivted piece of metal.. perhaps your dealer saw you coming..

robramjet
16th May 2007, 04:29 PM
i have a Cd hatch and had a cdx wagon and yes they had / have those little black stickers but they also have the build stamped aluminium plate pop-riveted to the upper radiator support chassis.

Maloo, could you pinpoint exactly where that plate is? I'm not much of a revhead I'm afraid, and the upper radiator support chassis could be on the roof for all I know! :)

Thanks

oneightoo
16th May 2007, 04:31 PM
when you open your bonnet, it's the peiece of metal that runs from left to right that your bonnet lkatches onto..

robramjet
16th May 2007, 04:33 PM
when you open your bonnet, it's the peiece of metal that runs from left to right that your bonnet lkatches onto..

That's what I thought, and that's what the sticker is fixed to, but I can't see a plate with the same details on it. Should it be clearly visible on top?

oneightoo
16th May 2007, 04:34 PM
should be.. if it's not, check your manual, it may have been moved to a different location for your model car..

robramjet
16th May 2007, 04:38 PM
should be.. if it's not, check your manual, it may have been moved to a different location for your model car..

The manual actually makes no mention of a specific build plate or build sticker in the "identification plate" section, just that the year of model is contained in the VIN number on the compliance plate. I would have thought that the date the car was built should be somehow permanently fixed to the car, surely a flimsy sticker can't be it?

oneightoo
16th May 2007, 04:40 PM
yeah it's not a sticker, theres a plate, somehwhere..

are you able to take a photo of your engine bay and post the picture up here?

MatsHolden
Also have a look up on the fire wall and strut towers mate...

maloo97
Where are you located dude?

robramjet
16th May 2007, 04:53 PM
yeah it's not a sticker, theres a plate, somehwhere..

are you able to take a photo of your engine bay and post the picture up here?

Absolutely, I'll take a pic in the morning when it's bright....

Unfortunately the CD hatch which apparently had NO build plate is in the possession of the shonky dealer, but I have a pic or two of it that I took....

robramjet
16th May 2007, 04:55 PM
Where are you located dude?

Sydney, North Shore.

Shaun
16th May 2007, 05:03 PM
Build Plate and Compliance Plate should be rivited to the Fire wall. Im guessing your looking at the car in the pic in a dealership? My Suggestion is to Revs Check it if you are. If the Compliance plate and / or build plate are missing dont buy it until you know the exact reasons . May also help to contact the R.T.A.

platypus
16th May 2007, 09:54 PM
car manufacturers no longer make build plates - true story

they use build stickers in their place - they also place marks along the chassis

this is a tamperproof label - also v. hard to peel off - was recently covered in an article in cars guide...