PDA

View Full Version : Engine problems anyone?

6thgear
16th May 2007, 12:35 PM
Just saw an old post on another forum...thought i might post it here as this is where the majority of relevant owners may be...anyone had any probs with their engines, as I'm not too sure about the engine models which this is referring to:

Recalls

Safety warning: Holden Astra, Vectra and Barina
21-Feb-2003

Product
Camshaft drive belt (cam belt) and cam belt drive sprocket fitted to Holden Astra, Vectra, or Barina cars.

The problem
The cam belt on many Holden Astra, Vectra and Barina cars is liable to fail much earlier than expected. This is often due to a fault with the crankshaft sprocket. If the car's cam belt fails, the engine will suffer very severe damage.

Details
Holden Astra, Vectra or Barina cars which are more than four years old or have travelled more than 60,000km, should have the camshaft drive belt (cam belt) replaced immediately. The cam belt drive sprocket on the end of the crankshaft must be checked, and if faulty replaced (unless this has already been done).

All associated pulleys and the water pump must be checked and replaced if there is any doubt about their condition.

Models most at risk

Holden Barina 1.6 litre engines, from 1994.
Holden Astra 1.6 and 1.8 litre engines, from 1995.
Holden Vectra 2.0 and 2.2 litre engines, from 1994.

6thgear
16th May 2007, 12:37 PM
oh, and anyone have any idea how to identify a fault in the "camshaft sprocket" in question?

JasonGilholme
16th May 2007, 01:01 PM
this is built into the servicing schedule now.

Basically instead of changing the design of the sprocket they decided to make their customers change their belts alot earlier (every 60 or 80,000 k's i believe)

The newer version have timing chains.

6thgear
16th May 2007, 04:50 PM
thanks dude. shite changing timing belt every 60,000kms wouldnt be a cheap exercise if you drive heaps...sheesh...

would you know if the sprocket thing is replacable ?

cheers

InsaneAsylum
16th May 2007, 04:59 PM
i know a couple of guys on here have been stung by it. my mechanic also warned me about it. big $$$ if it breaks.

i'd reather spend a few hundred every 60k, that be lumped with thousands of $$ bill if i was ignorant and my cam belt turned to shit

JasonGilholme
16th May 2007, 05:28 PM
thanks dude. shite changing timing belt every 60,000kms wouldnt be a cheap exercise if you drive heaps...sheesh...

would you know if the sprocket thing is replacable ?

cheers

not that i know of. You'd need to change crank gear and the cam gear though with aftemarket items but thats stil isnt a guarentee.

easier to change the belt more often i guess.

Huhness
16th May 2007, 06:52 PM
are cars with the timing chain not a part of this problem?? :(

shoey85
16th May 2007, 08:00 PM
its built in to the services, every 60k, my old veccy c had its 60k service and cost me 600 but should have been like 1300 as they didnt update their pricing due to the service update. They did it straght away after i got it serviced.

SKM_87
16th May 2007, 08:32 PM
to get my belt done the 1st time cost me $400 from holden. second time cost me $220 for the parts for belt and all pulleys and tensioner. almost luched my engine the second time cause my water pump went to poop. you can replace all the toothed pulleys if you wanted but like jason said you have to take a punt of someafter market ones as lazy opel didnt change the gear design.

ynmakr
16th May 2007, 09:05 PM
Holden Barina 1.6 litre engines, from 1994.

:eek: Just saw this post...went out to shed and looked....not good, I'm gettin' new belt tomorrow as I don't think prev owner would have done this!!

Thanks for the info:clap:

Carl

JR
16th May 2007, 11:19 PM
had my belt for my astra changed at 60k service.

shortly after my water pump needed 2 b replaced aswell - started 2 leak.

6thgear
17th May 2007, 02:45 PM
hmmmm perhaps this should be stickied since it would affect a number of people. perhaps with a different thread title though...

looks like we'll just have to live with changing belts at 60k's then!