PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of a 1990 Camry...... easiest way?

Tfer
16th May 2007, 08:56 AM
Here's the deal..... R has a 1990 Toyota Camry (actually belongs to a family member) that is driveable but requires about $5-7,000 to be spent to become roadworthy.... so let's get rid of it.

Question is, what is the easiest way to get rid of it, and make a few hundred bucks? :confused:

Misguidedangel
16th May 2007, 09:11 AM
Trading Post 13 26 26... wrecking and damaged vehicles... sell it for a couple of hundred bucks...

thats all I can offer

SIMid
16th May 2007, 09:13 AM
Insure it and then, burn it. :D

Tried any of the Toyota Wreckers? May give U a couple of hundred $$ if she's clean and straight.

Dee
16th May 2007, 09:18 AM
metal recyclers

on a side note: i didnt know that wreckers paid you for wrecks... wow... i guess that's why they charge for parts tooo

Wraith
16th May 2007, 09:24 AM
If it's intact and driveable, call that 'take your car away service' and they'll take it off your hands and give you $150 for it...

If it's not driveable, they'll still take it and give you $100-$120...

I did this with my old Corolla, once it finally died.

At least this way it's gone and you have some money, on same the day you make the call.

I've got the ph.no. somewhere at home.

You can advertise it for a few hundred bucks as a 'spare parts' vehicle, but it may take ages to flog it off.

Tfer
16th May 2007, 09:34 AM
If it's intact and driveable, call that 'take your car away service' and they'll take it off your hands and give you $150 for it...

If it's not driveable, they'll still take it and give you $100-$120...

I did this with my old Corolla, once it finally died.

At least this way it's gone and you have some money, on same the day you make the call.

I've got the ph.no. somewhere at home.

You can advertise it for a few hundred bucks as a 'spare parts' vehicle, but it may take ages to flog it off.

Thanks to all of for the brilliant ideas.... I have never had to do this before. :o

Wraith, could you per chance dig up that number tonight please? :)

Wraith
16th May 2007, 09:45 AM
Yes, I'll try and find it for you, I can't remember where I've put it or maybe I've thrown it out, :confused: I got rid of my old Corolla Feb. last year.

It was a 6 digit number and I heard about it from radio adds...

BTW I know how you feel, despite being an old dead car I too was very sad to see my old Corolla go that way :(

Dee
16th May 2007, 09:50 AM
http://yellowpages.com.au/imagecache/173/2007011211344160_y5855173/normal.gif <-- they might do Robertson too... or know of someone that does

or

http://yellowpages.com.au/onlineSolution_moreInfo.do?z=200021&iblName=AAA+Allcar+Removals&iblId=4622873&authToken=1129224f240%7C3480c49257ee3e6afe83189b5f 1264e1&st=cs

or

http://yellowpages.com.au/search/postCategorySearch.do?headingCode=24430&bookId=21&sortByAlphabetical=false&businessType=metal+recyclers&sortByDistance=false&sortByDetail=true&areaId=1064&locationClue=Greater+Brisbane+QLD&stateId=4

Wraith
16th May 2007, 09:54 AM
There you go :)

I actually forgot to ask, what state are you in Tfer ??

The one I used would be for Melb. only...

Calibrated
16th May 2007, 10:11 AM
Call insurance, insure the car for full retail.
a hand brake failure on mt itsa .........oh no....

oneightoo
16th May 2007, 11:32 AM
Insure it and then, burn it. :D

fire damage is the hardest to prove for investigators...........

food for thought..

JasonGilholme
16th May 2007, 11:33 AM
poor handbrake, boat ramp, high tide ;)

low astra
16th May 2007, 05:40 PM
how bad is it, get me some pics haha i might have a place for it in my garden.......

how much cash would they call fair??? does beer count as cash?

woody
16th May 2007, 05:45 PM
Drive it into a field, setup a few bails of hay, get a couple of rifles and charge people money to take pot shots at it, sell raffle tickets aswell for the grand prize... then when it's all shot to shit and no one wants to play anymore announce the grand prize winner and let them blow the crap out of it with a fertiliser bomb (you can get the receipe off the web somewhere i'm sure) then sell whats left to a scrappy.

poita
16th May 2007, 07:43 PM
Drive it into a field, setup a few bails of hay, get a couple of rifles and charge people money to take pot shots at it, sell raffle tickets aswell for the grand prize... then when it's all shot to shit and no one wants to play anymore announce the grand prize winner and let them blow the crap out of it with a fertiliser bomb (you can get the receipe off the web somewhere i'm sure) then sell whats left to a scrappy.

i second this notion

Tfer
16th May 2007, 08:33 PM
http://yellowpages.com.au/imagecache/173/2007011211344160_y5855173/normal.gif <-- they might do Robertson too... or know of someone that does

or

http://yellowpages.com.au/onlineSolution_moreInfo.do?z=200021&iblName=AAA+Allcar+Removals&iblId=4622873&authToken=1129224f240%7C3480c49257ee3e6afe83189b5f 1264e1&st=cs

or

http://yellowpages.com.au/search/postCategorySearch.do?headingCode=24430&bookId=21&sortByAlphabetical=false&businessType=metal+recyclers&sortByDistance=false&sortByDetail=true&areaId=1064&locationClue=Greater+Brisbane+QLD&stateId=4

Thanks Donna.... as always, you are an idea's girl ;)

Dee
16th May 2007, 08:41 PM
i know ;) what would you do witout me?

Calibrated
16th May 2007, 08:55 PM
i agree with woody..mwuhahaha

poita
16th May 2007, 09:31 PM
burn it burn it burn it burn it burn it burn it burn it burn it burn it burn it burn it burn it
burn it burn it burn it burn it burn it burn it burn it burn it burn it burn it burn it burn it

Dave
17th May 2007, 02:23 AM
If its driveable and you dont realy care about the cash, find some bush have some fun then leave it where it dies and walk away..........

cyclonic
18th May 2007, 03:16 AM
Off a cliff.

Tfer
18th May 2007, 12:22 PM
Thanks for all the comments/suggestions etc...... :D

Hmmm, I don't think R will want to burn it etc.... so....

So far, have found a wrecker who will pay $100 - $400 for it..... *pondering* :)

Wraith
18th May 2007, 12:24 PM
Hey Thomas, that's pretty good.....

You'll only get max. $150 and only if it's running from the mob I mentioned....

Calibrated
18th May 2007, 12:26 PM
Thanks for all the comments/suggestions etc...... :D

Hmmm, I don't think R will want to burn it etc.... so....

So far, have found a wrecker who will pay $100 - $400 for it..... *pondering* :)

you will probably get more than that getting people to pay to have pot shots at it...
would also be more entertaining.

Dee
18th May 2007, 12:27 PM
would you like people shooting up your old car (if it had sentimental value to you)?

Calibrated
18th May 2007, 12:31 PM
would you like people shooting up your old car (if it had sentimental value to you)?

But its a Camry.....:D

Dee
18th May 2007, 12:31 PM

doesnt matter what it is. even tho all camry's to me are "the camry of death" - i still respect the feelings that may be associated with it

"But it's a Cali..."

Tfer
18th May 2007, 12:32 PM

That it is Ashley, and normally I would be first in line for this sort of fun :D

But the Camry has great sentimental value..... so this will be the way me thinks.... R will most liking be still quite upset by the whole process :(

oneightoo
18th May 2007, 12:34 PM
"But it's a Cali..."

i'll pretend you never said that....

Dee
18th May 2007, 12:36 PM
that is my point exactly - thank you maffew!

Wraith
18th May 2007, 12:39 PM

I have to agree with the above...I too get attached to every car I've owned and could never do something like that to it or to anyone elses car.

I was very sad to see my old, run down and dead Corolla go, knowing it was off to the scrap heap....yes it's only a Corolla, but she served me extremely well and totally trouble free for over 6 years.

oneightoo
18th May 2007, 12:41 PM
agreed.. i get very attached to all my cars..

id only be happy seeing it destroyed if it was bad to me.. ie, never worked, always broke, ran over my dog etc..

Dee
18th May 2007, 12:42 PM
of course the car ran over your dog... the driver had nothing to do with it lol

Calibrated
18th May 2007, 12:42 PM
ok ok..i'll co-operate...

Just please for the love of god, dont hurt my cali.....:)

Wraith
18th May 2007, 01:01 PM
Us, here on the OpelAus forum hurt a Cali........that'll never happen :D

I love mine to death, although if it starts giving me heaps of unreliablity issues so many people have with these, I may be inclined to change my mind :)

Tfer
6th August 2007, 09:48 PM
AAA Motor Vehicle Removals took the car off R's hands for $100.... came and picked it up, and cash was handed over.... simple and effective :)

bornwild
6th August 2007, 10:10 PM
Have some fun with it. Go up into the country and do a few burnouts possibly even stage a rally :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Tfer
6th August 2007, 10:11 PM
Have some fun with it. Go up into the country and do a few burnouts possibly even stage a rally :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Was never going to happen.... not for that particular Camry anyway :(

bornwild
7th August 2007, 10:15 AM
But whyyyyyy?? Anything with wheels is a rally machine!!! :(

EL BURITO
7th August 2007, 02:58 PM
But whyyyyyy?? Anything with wheels is a rally machine!!! :(
i dont know
it says it is drivable

Wraith
7th August 2007, 05:17 PM
Good to see, it's all done Thomas, the same way I got rid of my venerable Corolla - still makes me sad :(

I ended up with $150 for the Corolla.

pred8r
7th August 2007, 05:52 PM
Its a bit late but, drive it to a scrap metal place, remove the plates, cash the rego.

Most complete cars are about $100-150 from 'reputable' scrap dealer.

xplosv57
7th August 2007, 06:22 PM
Dammit, we could've done some kind of Top Gear type thing to destroy the car!!!!

Or just had some fun in it in general, something for Youtube!!!!

But hey $100 is pretty good, so much for these Camrys being indestructable!!!!!

Wraith
7th August 2007, 06:57 PM
LOL nothing is indestructible, but old Camrys and Corollas come close !!!

I drove mine for over 6 years Steve, (AE82 - '86 model) clocking from 230,000km to over 350,000km and 'did not service it once' in all that time, just filled the tank, topped up water and oil once every couple of months or so, changed brake pads when required, that's it........never even blew a single light bulb in all that time - phenomenal reliability.....

No other car I've ever owned or know of could do that, had I looked after it, it would still be well and alive and kicking right now :)

xplosv57
7th August 2007, 07:02 PM
LOL d/w i know theyre good, had an '85 Corona 2l carby (super responsive LOL), she was a good car, but auto went and had it sitting in my backyard for over a year!!

Mate bought it and came to pick it up, jump started the battery and she started first go!!!!

Sure it looked like Gary Myers at Summernats when it started but i was shocked, and it ran so well!!!

Wraith
7th August 2007, 09:13 PM
My old mans got one of those - an '84 model Corona purchased from new.......

Get this it's 23 years old now and has traveled around only 18,000km :eek: It still has all the under bonnet engine stickers intact and still smells like new inside and still looks brand new on the outside !

Simple reason is my old man hasn't been able to drive for a long long time due to deteriorated eye sight, so it just gets cranked over once a fortnight or so, he won't even think of selling it........

Wonder if it qualifies for some kind of record :rolleyes: my bro and I have had numerous arguements over which one of us will inherit it :D

xplosv57
7th August 2007, 09:38 PM
LOL damn, 18,000km in 23 years, i thought you were bad with your Vert, i see where you get it from now!!! I think Toyota has a museum somewhere, will investigate with someone i know!!!

If only he had bought a Brocky from the same era.................

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Wraith
7th August 2007, 09:47 PM
hahahahaha :D

My vert stays dormant for ages at a time because I won't stop piss farting around with mods and it's in a state that can't be driven most of the time :)

I do notch up around 30-35,000km per annum in my other cars :)

My old man being half blind is his excuse, still he should give me the car :D

bornwild
8th August 2007, 11:13 AM
My old man has a ford laser 1.6l 1992.

Anyhow, I've been thrashing that car so bad for about 4yrs and not a single problem with it. When I say thrashing, I mean red-lining out of every corner

Wraith
8th August 2007, 01:18 PM
That's pretty good !!! they must've built later model Lasers better...

I had heaps of friends and relos that owned early - late '80's variants of those and alot of them started blowing smoke early and had lots and lots of probs always to be fixed....

bornwild
8th August 2007, 02:12 PM
Oh the only problem, I just remembered hehe :D, was a blown water hose.

But yeah, with around 370,000km on the clock, she's going strong :)...it may be a 93 model...not too sure....or 92...bah doesn't matter.

poita
8th August 2007, 10:29 PM
sohc carby laser, scary
just got rid of ours, 90 1.8l fuel injected
have blown away vs commodores with it rofl
scary shit i tell ya

bornwild
8th August 2007, 10:35 PM
I love the laser to pieces

900kg+1.6l+5sp manual= AWESOME FUN!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

poita
8th August 2007, 10:37 PM
all i can think though, poor poor handbrake

bornwild
8th August 2007, 10:40 PM
Pull it alllll the way up

poita
9th August 2007, 07:28 PM
i think it clicked bout 5 times too many wen u pulled it up all the way

on another note, y didnt the camry get killed out rally driving
wreckers are only a last resort

Tfer
9th August 2007, 08:14 PM
i think it clicked bout 5 times too many wen u pulled it up all the way

on another note, y didnt the camry get killed out rally driving
wreckers are only a last resort

It was R's dearly departed father's Camry.... ummm, not appropriate to trash the car, and it was too upsetting for R. :(

The wreckers seemed the most painless and non offensive way ;)

poita
9th August 2007, 08:48 PM
good to see some irresponsible young hoodlems didnt get hold of a car with so many important memories.

Tfer
9th August 2007, 08:51 PM
good to see some irresponsible young hoodlems didnt get hold of a car with so many important memories.

Yeah true.... it was a very sad and solemn moment when the keys were handed over :(

Noir
9th August 2007, 11:20 PM
Car is gone? Good. So is this thread.