PDA

View Full Version : Quality/Satisfaction with AH astras

Mainframe_Module
14th May 2007, 10:18 PM
http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=39115

Apon reading the above article (well...skimming through as im too lazy to read it all) it made me wonder why the astra didnt score better (they have like a graph in the last few pages showing how well cars rated in their catagory)
i dont recall people whinging about many things here on them, so i thought not only because im considoring buying one, but out of general interest

are there any build issues or problems youve had?
are you satisfied?
would you buy your car again if given the chance to know what you know now?

i want to see if there are any widespread issues, a loose fuel flap, a squeak or rattle in a door, or maybe something more serious.

ive seen lots of threads here with people asking about the astra (heck, ive started quite a few myself) but what i havent seen is a forum wide review on quality issues or bugs that might be widespread through the entire range.

any input would be appreciated, just list any problems that youve ever had with your car, or any things that have surprised you in a positive way too (dont want to be too negative :P )

cheers

daaaaavek
14th May 2007, 10:21 PM
i took one look at the dash and thought "too flat and bland" .. it's not terribly exciting even in the SRi's.

Poogene2001
14th May 2007, 10:46 PM
1. loose air con hoses causing a rattle in engine bay from new - rectified by holden
2. squeeks in drivers seatbase, Holden are "unable to fault" but there have been numerous complaints on here about it
3. whining/whooshing noise when decelerating with the air con on, holden claims this is just a charecterist of the engine
4. creeks in steering column, only evident when car is hot, so difficult to replicate for service crew

The survey you are referring to measures the percentage of cars to not have a complaint in the first 5 months of 2006, so may not be totally representative of the vehicle as a whole. In the small car category the Tiida has least complaints but its tough to measure because they only sold 5 in the whole of Australia!! ;)
Overall, I'm a satisfied AH Astra owner, but it hasnt been 100% smooth sailing.

Red AH SRI T
15th May 2007, 07:39 AM
I nevr had a Problem with my AH5 CDX hatch, it wass so fuss free and a pleasure to own that it was the reason I purchased my AH7 SRi Turbo.

And once again I haven't had anything to complain about. However i have noticed recently that the rear suspension is squeaking a bit. So I'm going to have to get this looked at.

SIMid
15th May 2007, 08:18 AM
->Glovebox light has a mind of it's own to come on "whenever". Calibra carry over part.
->Slight rattle in driver's door, only when the window is down to a certain point.

Metro1288
15th May 2007, 10:20 AM
->Glovebox light has a mind of it's own to come on "whenever". Calibra carry over part.
->Slight rattle in driver's door, only when the window is down to a certain point.

I have the same rattle with the drivers side door, did you get yours checked out?

Rear suspendsion is a bit squeaky as well, especially when i use the hand brake.

Also there is a weird clunking when i first start driving the car each day, seems to be from the engine bay.. usually within 1st or 2nd gear.. it clunks once and then doesnt do it for the rest of the drive. anyone have any ideas?

digifish
15th May 2007, 10:32 AM
Also there is a weird clunking when i first start driving the car each day, seems to be from the engine bay.. usually within 1st or 2nd gear.. it clunks once and then doesnt do it for the rest of the drive. anyone have any ideas?

That is the ABS calibrating itself. You will notice it happend around 25 km/hr.

They should tell people about this in the delivery sequence.

ALSO

Your cruise control won't work until you have pressed the brakes at least once.

digifish

Metro1288
15th May 2007, 10:39 AM
Thanks for that Digifish! puts my mind at ease.. i was thinking about how much trouble it would be trying to explain that one to the service guys.. thanks again.

Just need them to look into the rattle in the door and one night the headlight controls.

I sometimes thinking the engine sound is a bit rough and noisy, might just ask them to check it out when i go in next.. see what they say

all in all i really love the car Mainframe_Module, the more i drive it the more i love it.. being asian alot of my mates were suprised when i got a holden, but once they sat in it and took it for a spin i think it changed alot of their perceptions about the car.. so far so good :)

Mainframe_Module
15th May 2007, 12:11 PM
most cars have that clunk when taking off, as somone else mentioned it is the abs, my yaris does it too :)

Ishley
15th May 2007, 12:44 PM
I have noticed the squeeking in the suspension. I also have a really annoying squeek in my back seat (annoys ths shit out of me).

Apart from that, no problems :)

SIMid
15th May 2007, 12:50 PM
I have the same rattle with the drivers side door, did you get yours checked out?

She's due for her first service next Saturday, but I highly doubt it if they will check it out (open only in the morning). But I will mention it and see what they say.

I sometimes thinking the engine sound is a bit rough and noisy, might just ask them to check it out when i go in next.. see what they say

I mentioned in another post regarding this "roughness" (gonna do a Wraith here, he's gonna stab me!), I have indicated to the dealer and they will look into mine on the day as well. He did have a listen and shook his head. Will see what they say afterwards.

Here's the thread.
http://www.opelaus.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12830

No squeeky suspension yet. :D

Metro1288
15th May 2007, 12:53 PM
Thanks for that Simon, please keep us posted on what happens :)

Ishley
15th May 2007, 01:00 PM
My squeeky suspension is caused by the rough roads out Crispins way. I mean everyone should she these roads, they are so bad!!!

Also another small problem, my boot light has never worked.... Will get them to fix that at my 15000km service, which looks like it will be in about 2-3 weeks :(

CJB
15th May 2007, 01:08 PM
My car creaks and rattles, due to lowering and really bad roads, as Ash mentioned.

Also, sounds like a diesel :(

digifish
15th May 2007, 01:18 PM
My squeeky suspension is caused by the rough roads out Crispins way. I mean everyone should she these roads, they are so bad!!!

I think the jury is still out on a real fix for the rear suspension squeaks....squeaking noises while going over humps. Is caused by friction between a bushing and its mount somewhere in the rear suspension. They grease the part.

digifish

Wraith
15th May 2007, 01:44 PM
most cars have that clunk when taking off, as somone else mentioned it is the abs, my yaris does it too :)

Correct, my Calibra does it too, but at around only 5-10km/h.

Simon, repetition is a good thing, eventually it'll sink in lol :D

DArB
15th May 2007, 02:10 PM
->Glovebox light has a mind of it's own to come on "whenever".

My Interior Light (AH SRi-T) turns on whenever it feels like it. 80% of the time it turns on when a phone in the car gets an SMS...the other 20% of the time its just turns on whenever it feels like it.

It also clunks in the gearbox everytime I change from 1st - 2nd, 2nd - 3rd, and 3rd - 4th.....Its getting looked at soon!!

I also have the "Clunk" sound whenever I start driving. Glad to hear that it's supposed to happen. I told them (dealership) about it at 3,000km's and they said..yeah..no worries..we'll fix it!....but it still does it! they either know nothing about cars...or just pretended to look at it!!!

Also have that squeek in rear suspension whenever the car's parked in my driveway, which is on an incline, and I hop in and out of the car.

Appart from that...LOVING every minute of it!! :D

digifish
15th May 2007, 02:16 PM
Also have that squeek in rear suspension whenever the car's parked in my driveway, which is on an incline, and I hop in and out of the car. :D

That's probably the hand-brake slipping?

digifish

digifish
15th May 2007, 03:04 PM
4. creeks in steering column, only evident when car is hot, so difficult to replicate for service crew

...don't they have hair-dryers? :)

Tfer
15th May 2007, 08:30 PM
Had an Astra AH CD auto as a tool of trade.... the oil pump shat itself at 17,500km and engine had to be rebuilt..... after that it well with getting 90,000 + km on it in 11 months :) and I really drove it..... ;)

Mainframe_Module
15th May 2007, 08:39 PM
Correct, my Calibra does it too, but at around only 5-10km/h.

yeah, yarii kicks in at around 5-10 too, sounds kinda like a TWANGGGGG....like a ruler viabrating whie held to a desk or something.
first few times i heard it it worried me, until i realised what it was.

and now im getting scared about the astra haha.

one second im thinking just stick with yaris, the next secomd im thinking buttt you want a manual and the astra will hopefully last you longer.

gah...6 months and still confused. kill me now.

dustbug
15th May 2007, 10:19 PM
1) Faulty left side mirror motor - replaced by holden
2) Fuel flap pin stopped work - Loose connection fixed by Holden
3) Creaking drivers seat
4) I like the car. For the price you get a good looking car, with all the features.

digifish
15th May 2007, 10:35 PM
gah...6 months and still confused. kill me now.

You get a 3 year warranty, and a 5 year extended warranty if you agree to have all post 3 year servicing work done by the dealer (which is not a big deal)...nothing to worry about :)

digifish

Alix
15th May 2007, 11:16 PM
No real problems with mine, over four months or so, about 5500km.

I had the seatbelt warning lamp refuse to go off, but tracked that down to having a backpack on the passenger seat.

Two or three times I've had the "Check Coolant Level" warning on the little screen shortly after starting off on a cold night. Acknowledge it and you don't see it again. And no, the coolant isn't even slightly low. It might be an air bubble in the system somewhere or perhaps a faulty sensor. I'll mention it at next service.

Passenger side power window sometimes sounds a bit graunchy. I had it lubed at the 1500 service and I'll keep an ear out.

Apart from that, I just had issues with some of the stuff that the dealer was supposed to do (gave me the wrong key; didn't fit the towbar wiring correctly and so on).

Overall, I've been really happy with the car.

'sfunny, but the research I did on the Golf TDI vs the CDTi told me that this perception of the TDI being "superior quality" was just that, a perception. I've seen plenty of reports since of niggling little things go wrong with TDIs that back up the results of the linked survey (ie, they're roughly the same).

Oh digi, my "5yr extended warranty" came with the proviso that I get the car serviced at the dealer every six months post the manufacturer's warranty. There might have been something in it about three monthly oil changes for turbo cars too. I didn't ask or pay for it, and I really doubt that I'll take them up on it.

Metro1288
23rd May 2007, 11:25 AM
Took my car in today and asked them to check out a few things that have been bugging me (the car only has 4500klms), get it back later today.. am interested to see what they say/fix. I asked them to look into the following:

-Rattle in the headlight instrument panel while driving
-rattle in the drivers side door when window is down
-creaking from rear suspension area especially when parked on an incline with the hand brake engaged
-strange rattling sound from engine when accelerating
strange sound from exhaust system, can hear it when engine is revving down, most audible when car is at a standstill (not sure how to explain this one)
-driver side sun visor moulding around mirror not uniform (big gap i can see into)

The last time i took the car in for a service i think they took it for a long drive as there were heaps of extra klms on it. I reset the BC when i got there today, see what figures are on it when i get it back.

DArB
23rd May 2007, 11:30 AM
I also have the rattle or vibration in the dash when driving, plus a few other noises and clunks, so will be interested to see what they say/fix.

good luck!!!

welsh
23rd May 2007, 12:44 PM
mine is Astra AH 05, mileage is about 20K, it has

a the squeeking in the rear suspension

b squeaking from engine room when foot on accelerate at a speed of 80 km/h, it will disapear when putting the foot off

c sometimes the brake squeeking when brake ease out at a paticular poistion.

other than that, happy with driving it.

Metro1288
23rd May 2007, 12:47 PM
Did you ever ask them to check it out?

welsh
23rd May 2007, 12:58 PM
no, I haven't yet. cause first one is a known issue which i don't really mind, and these last two problems happened couple weeks ago. i am wondering if anyone else had this problem before.

Mainframe_Module
23rd May 2007, 01:02 PM
wonder if these things have been resolved with the 7.5 update?

it seems juist to be little minor squeaks that people are mainly talking of, in which case my yaris has a few too, the passenger window rattles when half down, breakes sometimes squeak in the between fully engaged and letting up part......hmmm

Metro1288
23rd May 2007, 05:16 PM
The last time i took the car in for a service i think they took it for a long drive as there were heaps of extra klms on it. I reset the BC when i got there today, see what figures are on it when i get it back.[/quote]
Just got the car back and am back in the office, the delaership is about 10mins walk down the road. They said they did the following (dumbed down version of what they said):
-Rattle in the headlight instrument panel while driving - tightened something inside the panel
-rattle in the drivers side door when window is down - door trim ill fitting so they fixed it
-creaking from rear suspension area especially when parked on an incline with the hand brake engaged - took the bushes out and greased them
-strange rattling sound from engine when accelerating - apparently characteristic of the engine
-strange sound from exhaust system, can hear it when engine is revving down, most audible when car is at a standstill (not sure how to explain this one) - also apparently characteristic of the engine
-driver side sun visor moulding around mirror not uniform (big gap i can see into) - they ordered some part for this and will call me when its in

All seemed fine and i walked out happy i guess. Once the car was brought around i heard a strange sound from the car, its like the sound you get when you try starting the car when its already on. it did this for about a second then stopped, i was kinda alarmed. i then got into the car and once i touched the gear knob it did it again. i then went back in to talk to the service dude and told him about it. At this stage he is probably thinking that i am an idiot considering all the rattles/creaks i asked him to check in the first place. He jumped into the car but the noise didnt happen again, the guy who brought the car out for me was around as well and claims to not have heard it. I am pretty sure he did though arrrgh in the end they said to bring it back if it keeps happening which i agreed to do. Anyone know what that sound could mean?

Also checked the BC and found that following figures:
10.5km
average speed 20
3.2L
38.2 L/100km
thats pretty high fuel consumption isnt it?

All in all i was pretty happy with the service, only thing really bugging me is that damn noise. Will listen for those fixes on the way home later, hopefully they did what they said they did.

Red AH SRI T
23rd May 2007, 07:53 PM
The Suspension squeaks happen when the bushes in the suspension dry out. This won't cause any damage to the car, however it is annoying. Mine is booked in to get this fixed next week.

jsantos
25th May 2007, 10:25 PM
The last time i took the car in for a service i think they took it for a long drive as there were heaps of extra klms on it. I reset the BC when i got there today, see what figures are on it when i get it back.
Just got the car back and am back in the office, the delaership is about 10mins walk down the road. They said they did the following (dumbed down version of what they said):
-Rattle in the headlight instrument panel while driving - tightened something inside the panel
-rattle in the drivers side door when window is down - door trim ill fitting so they fixed it
-creaking from rear suspension area especially when parked on an incline with the hand brake engaged - took the bushes out and greased them
-strange rattling sound from engine when accelerating - apparently characteristic of the engine
-strange sound from exhaust system, can hear it when engine is revving down, most audible when car is at a standstill (not sure how to explain this one) - also apparently characteristic of the engine
-driver side sun visor moulding around mirror not uniform (big gap i can see into) - they ordered some part for this and will call me when its in

All seemed fine and i walked out happy i guess. Once the car was brought around i heard a strange sound from the car, its like the sound you get when you try starting the car when its already on. it did this for about a second then stopped, i was kinda alarmed. i then got into the car and once i touched the gear knob it did it again. i then went back in to talk to the service dude and told him about it. At this stage he is probably thinking that i am an idiot considering all the rattles/creaks i asked him to check in the first place. He jumped into the car but the noise didnt happen again, the guy who brought the car out for me was around as well and claims to not have heard it. I am pretty sure he did though arrrgh in the end they said to bring it back if it keeps happening which i agreed to do. Anyone know what that sound could mean?

Also checked the BC and found that following figures:
10.5km
average speed 20
3.2L
38.2 L/100km
thats pretty high fuel consumption isnt it?

All in all i was pretty happy with the service, only thing really bugging me is that damn noise. Will listen for those fixes on the way home later, hopefully they did what they said they did.[/quote]

Car stationary can really bump up L/100 the figures esp if reset and not moved far as it would be messuring how much fuel it's used for vs how many k's its done?

SIMid
26th May 2007, 02:19 PM
Had the service done and asked them to look at my glove box light.

The result, "We need you to bring the Astra back for the day so we can replace the light assembly, we need to order the part."

A day? U gotta be kidding. I told them that I'll get it done at the next service.

phat-dave
27th May 2007, 12:38 PM
my 6.5 sri is nearing on twelve months old now and with 26000kms on it, yet to report any major faults

probably the biggest issue its had is the horn wouldnt work when the lights were on ie: night time

other than that its had a few issues with suspension squeaking and whatnot but all rather minor etc

great car for 30 odd grand... shame it doesnt have bit more poke :p

shoey85
27th May 2007, 01:22 PM
no probs so far in the 2000km i have done in the cdti, nice car no rattles.

used to have a veccy c this is just as nice but handles sooo much better!

mintaka
28th May 2007, 06:22 PM
Just to add to this. I have a CDTi with about 20,000 km's.

I get a bad and annoying rattle in the dash between 1600 rpm to 2100 rpm. As the other diesel heads around here know, that's when it does a lot of it's work.

So next week I'm off to the dealer. Good to hear I'm not the only one with dash rattles.

Cheers.

Mintaka

Metro1288
29th May 2007, 10:16 AM
After last weeks visit for warranty repairs looks like it wasnt that successful. Still have the rattle in the lighting instrument area, drivers side door rattles even when not down now. also a new noise, some squirming noise from around the frame of the window when up. arrrgh this is getting damn annoying. Hand brake still sqeaks pretty loud when on incline, waiting for them to call me when that part they ordered for my sun visor comes in. what you guys reckon i should do?

SIMid
29th May 2007, 12:47 PM
After last weeks visit for warranty repairs looks like it wasnt that successful. Still have the rattle in the lighting instrument area, drivers side door rattles even when not down now. also a new noise, some squirming noise from around the frame of the window when up. arrrgh this is getting damn annoying. Hand brake still sqeaks pretty loud when on incline, waiting for them to call me when that part they ordered for my sun visor comes in. what you guys reckon i should do?

Highjack a technician and drive him around the block and show him everything thats stuffed and then see what he says.

digifish
29th May 2007, 02:06 PM
Highjack a technician and drive him around the block and show him everything thats stuffed and then see what he says.

I did that a while back, and it worked out very well. Suddenly everything got fixed and fixed properly. Make friends with the mechanic! :)

digifish

bill142
30th May 2007, 09:09 PM
I nevr had a Problem with my AH5 CDX hatch, it wass so fuss free and a pleasure to own that it was the reason I purchased my AH7 SRi Turbo.

And once again I haven't had anything to complain about. However i have noticed recently that the rear suspension is squeaking a bit. So I'm going to have to get this looked at.

I have a bit of a squeak in my suspension to. I can notice it on the drivers side only and it's intermittent.

Overall, I can't fault they car. Have had no issues with it in 18 months, and lets hope it stays that way.

bornwild
3rd June 2007, 01:11 PM
1. loose air con hoses causing a rattle in engine bay from new - rectified by holden
2. squeeks in drivers seatbase, Holden are "unable to fault" but there have been numerous complaints on here about it
3. whining/whooshing noise when decelerating with the air con on, holden claims this is just a charecterist of the engine

I own a MY07 Astra CDX coupe.

1. Do I have to go to holden and tell them to rectifiy it?

2. Yeahhh I've noticed that, is there any way to fix it? They're not that bad but I'm the kind of person to whom anything thats imperfect is not worth the money.

3. Haven't noticed that.

4. Haven't noticed that either.

bornwild
3rd June 2007, 01:13 PM
Just to add to this. I have a CDTi with about 20,000 km's.

I get a bad and annoying rattle in the dash between 1600 rpm to 2100 rpm. As the other diesel heads around here know, that's when it does a lot of it's work.

So next week I'm off to the dealer. Good to hear I'm not the only one with dash rattles.

Cheers.

Mintaka

I have those in my CDX from around 2500-3300....really shits me, was thinking of fixing it myself by putting a few rubber bands on the windshield where it contacts with the dash, but I guess it's better if they do it....yeh?

Red AH SRI T
3rd June 2007, 06:38 PM
Got the suspension fixed on Friday. Like new again!

Mainframe_Module
3rd June 2007, 09:48 PM
fixed as in just relubed/greased?

btw, you spoken to your boss yettt? *eyelash flutter* :angel: