PDA

View Full Version : Astra F help (asap)

xplosv57
8th May 2007, 09:49 PM
Just got a call from a relative telling me they're about to buy a 1997 TR City, so i thought id jump on here and see what things they should look out for before purchasing...

Common problems/reliability
Recalls
Fuel consumption
Safety
Maintenance

Here is a link to the car in question...
http://www.carpoint.com.au/used-car/HOLDEN/ASTRA/New%20South%20Wales/csn1192076.aspx?State=NSW

Thanks in advance

Steve

MK
8th May 2007, 10:20 PM
Just from the advertisement it looks quite good...

i have one Astra F 3dr but in diesel and its in Poland...so far i dont have any issues with the engine, which in your case does not apply as i believe Australia did not get the Astra F diesel :)

there are few little gremlins with the electrical system playing some little 'tricks' from time to time but nothing major...

honestly i cannot add anything more...i hope you get some replies from Australian owners. Good luck!

platypus
9th May 2007, 12:10 AM
maintenance - expensive, but so are all opel cars relative to local cars - must be done on time, or the timing belt can go - oh wait thats the 1.8

i'd say its a little pricey for a 1.6 i got my 1.8 for 7000 in september last year

the auto is good, but i'm not sure if the 1.6 is the same box - can't think why it wouldn't be!

safety recalls - child safety point has a dodgy weld - needs to be re-welded

fuel economy in 1.8 is great, i'm at 9l/100km

ask jerry about his 1.6

check the struts - they are crappy and the IAC needs to be cleaned - mine has been replaced 4 times previous to me getting it - i simply cleaned it using the MK4 guide - most mk4 guides will be relevant to this car....

platypus
9th May 2007, 12:11 AM
oh but that colour is purple... so not cool :p

my rego papers say blue, so i'm happy

btm
9th May 2007, 08:14 AM
a mates sister has the same car but in hatchback - its an auto too and its a piece of sheit.

transmission is very rough even though they've spent some $$ on it

no balls what so ever either... none

platypus
9th May 2007, 08:40 PM
which would be why i'd recommend the 1.8 over the 1.6

and remember not everyone wants balls - some people want to get from a to b with minimum of fuss - in which case i'd say a toyota!!

EL BURITO
9th May 2007, 09:35 PM
OT
Y dose it have a funny number plate

platypus
9th May 2007, 10:17 PM
OT
Y dose it have a funny number plate

its a bicentenial year plate - only available in 1988

in NSW of course
and only custom in the AAA-111 form (letter x 3 number x3)

jerrypufflewell
9th May 2007, 11:43 PM
1 Common problems/reliability
2 Recalls
3 Fuel consumption
4 Safety
5 Maintenance

Steve

1- Check it has factory aircon :p other than that yeah the usual Opel stuff, check the timing belt has been changed recently otherwise it needs to be done (should be done at 60000). Otherwise I'm not aware of anything specific.
2- As Platypus said.
3- I average about 6.4-6.7L / 100km. I'd expect about 8 in the city and maybe 6.5 on the highway (just guessing auto figures from my manual figures- I get about 6 with pure highway driving and high 7s in the city I think... bear in mind mine has done somewhere above 170000km)
4- Check the seat-belt pretensioners haven't engaged (you'll see the orange tab on the front belt buckles). Passenger airbag will be an added bonus. I understand the F got 4 stars in EuroNCAP testing, so you can't get much better.
5- A lot, but it's worth it. Not a bad car for the money.

P.S it's like the auto cousin of mine! Judging by previous comments here the auto isn't such a good thing in this case, I wouldn't know I've only driven the manual...

platypus
10th May 2007, 12:47 AM
i love the auto in this car - saab gearbox on mine , not too rough, but rougher than some, BUT gear changes are well timed, executed at the right time - drive it hard it will change hard, drive it soft it will shift soft - if you want a super soft uptake try the snow icon next to the gear lever - 3rd gear take offs!!

sporty mode in this one just lets the revs go to redline

Calibrated
10th May 2007, 02:29 PM
im shocked at the Astra F's that you got in aus, compared to SA and Europe..
they just look crap here..
My Astra F 2l thats back in SA, never gave me a moments trouble, very fuel efficient, etc etc.. but for here, i wouldnt know,

xplosv57
10th May 2007, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, performance wise he's not fussed, just a runabout for the family, but he's getting it checked out tomorrow and should be purchasing it early next week!!!!!!!

Thanks again, glad i can rely on Opelaus members when unexpected things happen!!!!!!!

platypus
11th May 2007, 06:51 AM
yeah i'd prefer the GSi myself (2.0) but totally different insurance too for them