Pretty good for a road safety ad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxaQQ7kpP5g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX_w23Iogt8

And these were on British Television.

Hits home pretty hard.

NXA-16H

MatsHolden
6th May 2007, 12:18 AM
Yeh about time we got some of these ads back on our TV's.

This one is a very effective one I think...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml8JHPZ8-c8

pred8r
6th May 2007, 02:04 PM
Those first 2 are nasty.

blueraven
6th May 2007, 03:42 PM
Time and place.

Those times are few, as are the places, which i think is what alot of people forget.

jvl
6th May 2007, 03:51 PM
those are intense.... way more so than the stupid speeding ads we get in Qld.

What I could see happening here is that you'd get people up in arms saying that the ads are too graphic to show on TV, and they would probably get pulled off the air.

They are obviously dramatised to an extent.... however you never know what can happen in those types of situations.

I agree with blueraven... time & place.

jsantos
6th May 2007, 06:23 PM
I think they have the same problems as the anti-smoking campaigns.
The alternate reason they don't work is becasue they are too confronting and people don't allow themselves to absorb it.

Any introduction to marketing will tell you that you need to take into account peoples selective perception and absorbtion when making an advertisment.

Naf
6th May 2007, 06:43 PM
I must say I have lost my license enough times now to respect having it. Being able to drive is a privledge with little skill required. Having the privlege allows you to build on the skill. Respect it and it will respect you. There is a time and a place for everything - and racing stupidly on public roads ain't one of them.

By the way if Gary the instructor from my driving rehab course is here - tell the mrs thanks for the scones. They were great.

rjastra
7th May 2007, 09:06 AM
I think they have the same problems as the anti-smoking campaigns.
The alternate reason they don't work is becasue they are too confronting and people don't allow themselves to absorb it.

What makes you think they don't work? Smoking rates are at an all time low.

Wraith
7th May 2007, 09:25 AM
They definitely have an impact, that's for sure.

Problem is people also forget too quickly, I think we all need to be reminded or have a 'heads up' every now an then.

Really speeding, especially doing ridiculously high speeds over 100km/h on suburban streets or 180-200km/h on freeways, is just plain stupid !

Tfer
7th May 2007, 07:40 PM
Time and place.... agreed:)

Speed.... do it in a more controlled environment, off public roads :)

jsantos
7th May 2007, 11:20 PM
What makes you think they don't work? Smoking rates are at an all time low.

Cultures are changeing at younger ages due to the fact that knowlage is becoming taught rather then scare tactics, I haven't seen anything to say smoking rates are at an all time low however i beleive it is very likley as smoking rates have been dropping so the fact that they are low dosen't indicate that something new is working it indicates the following of a trend. Most people i know that smoke ignore the labels and warnings the only things that ever get to anyone is when the negative effects personally affect them i.e loss of fitness and they prefer playing sport over smoking.

I would also like to see some one in this country recognise the dangers of driving too slow. In that first ad where the person overtakes over broken lines and has the crash all that bad stuff could happen just as easily if the person in front was doing 40 and the car over took them at 60 ( and say the road is a 60 zone) And bam lots of people are injured and no one broke the law yet it would of been avoided if the person in front stuck to 60 in a 60 zone.
I'm agree doing 100 in a suburban street is dangerous i would just like to see everyone get off this subject of high speed = death.

Apex
8th May 2007, 09:14 AM
Time and place.

Those times are few, as are the places, which i think is what alot of people forget.

True true…:think:

Im sure the stunt team responsible for the car flip in the first link worked on the latest bond film!:o

rjastra
8th May 2007, 09:27 AM
Cultures are changeing at younger ages due to the fact that knowlage is becoming taught rather then scare tactics, I.

And why would that be? Government advertising on health issues is there to give the general public knowledge. It has done this with the HIV/AIDS,smoking, vaccination etc etc. Without it there is no doubt that deaths due to these causes would be higher.

In that first ad where the person overtakes over broken lines and has the crash all that bad stuff could happen just as easily if the person in front was doing 40 and the car over took them at 60 ( and say the road is a 60 zone) And bam lots of people are injured and no one broke the law yet it would of been avoided if the person in front stuck to 60 in a 60 zone.

Or.. the person could have just waited. Risk perception is the most valuable skill available to a driver. One that is undeveloped in younger drivers. Your statement moves the blame onto the innocent driver and mitigates the risky driving behaviour of the driver who has the accident!

Greggy
8th May 2007, 06:43 PM
One of the top brass in the UK police has just been heavily critised for using a picture of a decapitated biker as a 'hard hitting' SLOW DOWN campaign - the biggest issue, wasnt the fact that he used such a graphic shot........It was that he DIDNT seek consent from the dead bikers family to use the picture !!!!!!!!!

but yes, he still has his job !!!!!!!

pred8r
8th May 2007, 06:49 PM
They got pulled from google for breach of copyright :(

Youd think that if people were watching it, they'd leave it. But then they are not making money from it.

What a weird world we live in.

jsantos
8th May 2007, 10:53 PM
And why would that be? Government advertising on health issues is there to give the general public knowledge. It has done this with the HIV/AIDS,smoking, vaccination etc etc. Without it there is no doubt that deaths due to these causes would be higher.

Yes as you said knowledge has been passed and people have made choices. This is differnt too scare tactics used and ads ignored. I.E 4 years of P.E class's telling us actually what happens vs a F'ked up lung on our tvs whilst eating dinner. I am not against informative ads i just don't like ones that to give you the information in suppository form.

Or.. the person could have just waited. Risk perception is the most valuable skill available to a driver. One that is undeveloped in younger drivers. Your statement moves the blame onto the innocent driver and mitigates the risky driving behaviour of the driver who has the accident!

Yes you are right that is true, However that theory ignores the fact that people are irrational highly emotional beings. The driver going to slow isn't innocent they are a road hazzard that needs to be removed just as badly as someone driving to fast. Laws need to address all points not just the easy ones.

My statement by the way was using a hypothetical where the person who crashed, I.e the over taking car over took legally at the right speed and the same even could still occur. And if the "overtakee" was driving responsibly at the speed limit the other party wouldn't of needed to overtake them.

MatsHolden
8th May 2007, 11:51 PM
They got pulled from google for breach of copyright :(

Youd think that if people were watching it, they'd leave it. But then they are not making money from it.

What a weird world we live in.

Goes to show what is REALLY important... not saving lives, making money.