PDA

View Full Version : AH Wheel Nightmaressssssss

NEMO
5th May 2007, 05:03 PM
Guys,

I've gone to 3 different mag shops around Sydney and none have anything that will fit the AH stud pattern!!! Anyone know which brands make wheels to fit?

pred8r
5th May 2007, 05:57 PM
LWT (http://www.lwtwheels.com/)

This is here as message is too short

blueraven
5th May 2007, 06:13 PM
there is alot available, but you will have to order them, almost no-one will have the 5x110 fitment in stock.

EL BURITO
5th May 2007, 06:32 PM
BSA
www.bsawheels.com.au

TyerPower is a stockist

Red AH SRI T
5th May 2007, 06:48 PM
http://www.directwheels.com.au/

dustbug
5th May 2007, 08:40 PM
www.tempetyres.com.au

I got mine from there for my AH. They had quite a few different styles for the AH.

NEMO
6th May 2007, 08:09 AM
Thanks guys i'll post up some pics when I get them :)

tim_
6th May 2007, 10:58 PM
i went to ozzy to get mine.

Wraith
7th May 2007, 08:58 AM
I can't believe how many times this comes up.....

As mentioned there are heaps that will or can be made fit.

Find the size/style you want, make sure it's available in the correct 'offset' or ET number - that's the most important factor !

The second most important factor is the rim width - with the AH you'll be able to get away with up to 8" width, provided you have the right offset, (which is more than a TS/G Astra, so you actually have more choice than Astra G owners !)

Next is the PCD - most rims which will have the correct offset and width, will be available in 5x114.3 PCD, these can then be easily re-drilled to 5x110 PCD.

Most wheel outlets can organise to have this done, some will even do it free of charge, they are sent off to a CNC machine shop, re-drilled and steel inserts re-installed, so you should have no probs.

I've been buying/using re-drilled rims for many years and never had a single problem....

Hope that helps :)

WLD-18L
7th May 2007, 05:11 PM
there is alot available, but you will have to order them, almost no-one will have the 5x110 fitment in stock.

What he said. No one will stock a 5 x 110 PCD i went to every tyre shop in my area and grabbed a heap of wheel brochures. Finaly when i made my mind up i did the rounds again asking for best priceces. oonce i found it they orderd the rims in over night and was done the next morning.

Wraith
8th May 2007, 04:28 PM
Yep, that's right.

They would've most probably ordered them in 5x114.3 and sent them off to be re-drilled and prepped at 5x110 :)

When I searched, I found quite a few styles that were 'born' as 5x110, but they were all 16 or 17" - too small for my liking :)

Wattie
8th May 2007, 07:46 PM
almost all wheels can be ordered to specific stud patterns, i have speedy lite 7's on mine, they are blank at the factory and drilled to suit, if not already in stock.

Wraith
10th May 2007, 01:20 PM
I've done the above with 2 of my sets of 20's :)

tim_
10th May 2007, 07:26 PM
Yep, that's right.

They would've most probably ordered them in 5x114.3 and sent them off to be re-drilled and prepped at 5x110 :)

i was advised by ozzy not to do this, he showed me a wheel and it was all scratched from them drilling it. not overly noticable, but still there.

EL BURITO
10th May 2007, 09:56 PM
i was advised by ozzy not to do this, he showed me a wheel and it was all scratched from them drilling it. not overly noticable, but still there.
thats why you get wheels with caps over the holes

Wraith
11th May 2007, 09:59 AM

As with all things, there's people who do a good job and others who do crap work !

I've had it done to many sets of rims - I've lost count - all were very neat and un-noticeable ;)

Yes rims with centre caps are the go, as they hide everything :) or you can go for the slightly extra bother/expense of ordering 'blank' or virgin rims as already mentioned and getting them drilled from the start as 5x110, the result is then perfect ;)

bornwild
3rd June 2007, 01:56 PM
Whats a realistic price for a set of good quality 18s without tyres?

WLD-18L
3rd June 2007, 05:43 PM
id say around $1500 - 2000 without tyres. (top name brands) bob jane are doing a sale on ther own branded rims (RJR) i think u can pick up a set of 18's for like 1200 with tyres ! if i remember right. tyres surley cant be great and i didnt realy like the styles of wheels avlaible.

bornwild
3rd June 2007, 05:49 PM
I'd rather spend $2500 on genuine turbo wheels to be honest.

But I don't have the cash :(

And the turbo 18s are impossible to find 2nd hand.....:(

Wraith
3rd June 2007, 07:39 PM
Give it time my friend, give it time.......;)

I was once after a set of HSV VX GTS 19's for my HSV VTII R8, but even 12 months after release no one had em :(

Then a couple of years later and even now, heaps of tyre and wheel outlets have got S/H sets of em and there are even numerous aftermarket copies.

I reckon in time you'll find S/H sets around and probably even eventually have aftermarket copies, this happens with most popular factory rims :)

NEMO
6th June 2007, 08:36 AM
How much do you guys think AH SRI Turbo wheels are worth? 2nd hand without rubber of course...

Shaun
6th June 2007, 09:16 AM
i like the look of these on the AH. The look like SRi T Rims in some respects.

Wraith
6th June 2007, 11:19 AM
They look good Shaun :)

Nemo, how long is a piece of string ?? seriously you couldn't put a figure on a S/H set of those without tyres, it's entitrely up to who ever's selling em, the condition they're in and how desperate or not they are to get rid of em ;)

A fair price for any good alloy 18's (without tyres) in good S/H nik would be around 100- $200 each, regardless of whether they're factory or aftermarket - once they're used or S/H no one cares about that, so no use comparing the new factory prices ;)

bornwild
6th June 2007, 01:36 PM
Shaun
What model/make rims are those?

gman
6th June 2007, 02:41 PM
BBS, OZ Wheels, Speedy (I have 2 sets of these currently) etc all do 5 x 110 PCD rims in the right offset.

Tempe and Ozzy can drill blanks with the right PCD. Ozzy did this for a set of 18's for a friend and i've seen Tempe do it too....

If you can see wheels listed for a Saab 9-3 or 9-5 & some VW's (older Golf's IIRC) then they can fit an Astra G or H....

I like these:

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t262/aussiegman/bbs_ch_poliert.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t262/aussiegman/bbs_ch_poliert_1.jpg

Huhness
6th June 2007, 03:10 PM
how long before there are some re-makes of the 19" VXR wheels?? :(

Does anyone import BK racing wheels here?? They have some nice 18" ones i seen on cars in the UK!!

Shaun
6th June 2007, 03:14 PM
Shaun
What model/make rims are those?

Im not sure but they were fitted @ Direct Tyres and Wheels in Sydney. A guy i work with was told to take his GF AH down there as they have a good range to fit them AH range.

They are located in Blacktown as Red AH said before. give them a call

Wraith
6th June 2007, 03:37 PM
BBS, OZ Wheels, Speedy (I have 2 sets of these currently) etc all do 5 x 110 PCD rims in the right offset.

Tempe and Ozzy can drill blanks with the right PCD. Ozzy did this for a set of 18's for a friend and i've seen Tempe do it too....

If you can see wheels listed for a Saab 9-3 or 9-5 & some VW's (older Golf's IIRC) then they can fit an Astra G or H....

I like these:

Gman, if you like/want to get these, don't get the BBS's. There are heaps of aftermarket copies of this style......will be alot cheaper than genuine BBS items :)

Wraith
6th June 2007, 03:40 PM
how long before there are some re-makes of the 19" VXR wheels?? :(

Does anyone import BK racing wheels here?? They have some nice 18" ones i seen on cars in the UK!!

Yes, if your prepared to pay for them, any major wheel outlet will bring em in for you....or you can deal directly with them yourself :)

I got a set of BK racing 19's imported nearly 3 years ago - wasn't cheap, being a 1 set order !!! :(

Huhness
6th June 2007, 03:45 PM
Yes, if your prepared to pay for them, any major wheel outlet will bring em in for you....or you can deal directly with them yourself :)

I got a set of BK racing 19's imported nearly 3 years ago - wasn't cheap, being a 1 set order !!! :(

GB?...... :p

bornwild
6th June 2007, 04:09 PM

I like these:

I got a quote for these rims, for my AH Astra...it was a whopping $4500 without tyres

Im not sure but they were fitted @ Direct Tyres and Wheels in Sydney. A guy i work with was told to take his GF AH down there as they have a good range to fit them AH range.

They are located in Blacktown as Red AH said before. give them a call

Cheers, Shaun. Im gonna have to look up similar rims in melb....without the chrome that is :D

entice
6th June 2007, 04:12 PM
how much are a 2nd hand set of AH wheels worth? depends... what do you think they are worth?

I'm considering selling my set with rubber (hardly even worn (havent measured tread depth) 225/40/18 G3's (Bridgestone)

regarding copies.
Yep, copies will come.. but for teh price, they wont match the OEM weights.
Generally speaking, unless you spend top brand dollars, youi end up with heavy wheels, made of heavy metals. Makes a huge difference to the way a car handles. Just another reason why a lot of ricers go for the brand names (eg volk, gram superlights etc ) other than for being able to list the brands as part of a take-away menu on the guard.

Oh, the OEM Turbo wheels are made by Ronal. They supply (supplied) quite a bit OEM on Saab, Porsche, Bmw and so on.

wheel weight makes a huge difference... i have some at the 4kg mark on my other car, and interchange them for some almost double weight depending on the intended use... huge, huge difference in the way teh car reacts...

PM if you need more info...

Wraith
6th June 2007, 04:20 PM
I got a quote for these rims, for my AH Astra...it was a whopping $4500 without tyres

Cheers, Shaun. Im gonna have to look up similar rims in melb....without the chrome that is :D

Hence why I've already suggested to leave genuine BBS's alone lol :)

If your looking for aftermarket copies of these in melb. Bob Jane has em - not sure of the brand name, or try 'Steve's Wheels' they have em under the 'Inevo' name brand ;)

Hope that helps you guys :)

bornwild
6th June 2007, 04:31 PM
Hence why I've already suggested to leave genuine BBS's alone lol :)

If your looking for aftermarket copies of these in melb. Bob Jane has em - not sure of the brand name, or try 'Steve's Wheels' they have em under the 'Inevo' name brand ;)

Hope that helps you guys :)

Cheers Wraith, I certainly will have a look at Steve's.
Yeah, and apparently these specific BBS rims are a special order for AH Astras since they do not make them with the 5x110.

gman
6th June 2007, 04:40 PM
I know what you mean, they are exccy, but the genuine BBS rims are one of the best quality wheels in the world and much better than the copies...They weigh a lot less too being a proper lightweight wheel and not just something that looks nice...Thats why they are used in F1 and by the V8's...Enkei are also excellent for lightweight racing wheels. The wheels I have now I bought based on quality and their light weight, not just on what they looked like...I wanted to reduce the unsprung weight of the suspension..

From memory, Bob Jane have a good quality copy that is about half the price but fairly heavy

As they say, you get what you pay for...Standard mag's are ok for daily drivers that just cruise around, but I like to push mine on the track and favourite piece of road....Ever seen what happens when a rim fails under high conering load?? Not nice...

I can get a set of the BBS CH in 17's or 18's (the crystal silver as I don't like chrome) for around $2,000...

Wraith
6th June 2007, 04:41 PM
There won't be any aftermarket ones in 5 x 110 either.........!!!

What they'll do is grab a set of 5 x 114.3 and re-drill and re-insert steel sleeves for them :)

bornwild
6th June 2007, 04:44 PM
I can get a set of the BBS CH in 17's or 18's (the crystal silver as I don't like chrome) for around $2,000...

$2000?....you sure???

gman
6th June 2007, 04:53 PM
Yeah, cost price from a friend........ ;)

Wraith
6th June 2007, 04:53 PM
I know what you mean, they are exccy, but the genuine BBS rims are one of the best quality wheels in the world and much better than the copies...They weigh a lot less too being a proper lightweight wheel and not just something that looks nice...Thats why they are used in F1 and by the V8's...Enkei are also excellent for lightweight racing wheels. The wheels I have now I bought based on quality and their light weight, not just on what they looked like...I wanted to reduce the unsprung weight of the suspension..

From memory, Bob Jane have a good quality copy that is about half the price but fairly heavy

As they say, you get what you pay for...Standard mag's are ok for daily drivers that just cruise around, but I like to push mine on the track and favourite piece of road....Ever seen what happens when a rim fails under high conering load?? Not nice...

Thanks Glen, in my case, already know all that - still 'does not' justify the extra cost - you could on average get 3 or 4 sets of similar rims compared to one set of BBS's - they have to weigh 1/4 the weight of the copies (which they obviously don't) to justify the rip in price difference !!! :)

I've had copies or cheaper brands that I've put through the ringer over the past 23 years - never had a prob :)

BTW you may or may not know, some of the most exotic and expensive brands eg: Momo and Oz Racing have had numerous complaints/incidences of wheel buckling and bending, because of lightweight, but 'soft' alloys being employed ;)

As with anything price is a good indicator but not always the best rule to go by, knowledge/experience is.......:)

entice
6th June 2007, 04:56 PM
that's true Wraith,
But i'd much rather have a buckled wheel rather than a cracked wheel.

Softer/lighter can be re-rolled much more easily and successfully...

(had a set of Mak wheels a while ago re-rolled no sweat, but 1 x Auscar and 1 x5th Gear (speedy product I think) cracked/fractured)

bornwild
6th June 2007, 05:18 PM
Yeah, cost price from a friend........ ;)

Would you be able to do a little something for me if I ever need it? :D;)

OPC
6th June 2007, 06:37 PM
Would you be able to do a little something for me if I ever need it? :D;)

nothing SUSS hehehehe

NEMO
6th June 2007, 07:12 PM
Hey guys picked up a set of 18 x 7.5 BSA G2-38 today... Pic attached..

Decided to get the same size as stock as the car is only a month old so the rubber is to new to change plus with the money i saved I put a set of eibach springs on order :)

So if anyone in Sydney is after AH SRI Turbo wheels without rubber send us a pm.

gman
6th June 2007, 07:31 PM
Blueraven was looking for a set of track wheels....

gman
6th June 2007, 07:32 PM
nothing SUSS hehehehe

hehehehehehe....

;)

NEMO
6th June 2007, 07:49 PM
Stock Rims are 18 x 7.5

Wraith
6th June 2007, 09:29 PM
Hey guys picked up a set of 18 x 7.5 BSA G2-38 today... Pic attached..

Decided to get the same size as stock as the car is only a month old so the rubber is to new to change plus with the money i saved I put a set of eibach springs on order :)

So if anyone in Sydney is after AH SRI Turbo wheels without rubber send us a pm.

Very nice, well done, they look schmick :)

BSA's are great value for money too ;) one of my sets of 20's are also BSA G2's :)

NEMO
7th June 2007, 08:20 AM
Thanks mate they give the car a real gangster look...

cant wait to get the OPC upper and lower grills on and do some colour coding :)

OPC
7th June 2007, 10:54 AM
Thanks mate they give the car a real gangster look...

cant wait to get the OPC upper and lower grills on and do some colour coding :)

will the lower grille fit the SRi ?

EL BURITO
7th June 2007, 10:58 AM
will the lower grille fit the SRi ?
the 5 door has honey comb lowers so maby.

nice wheels by the way

NEMO
7th June 2007, 03:50 PM
The VXR's come with it... i think the bumper is the same besides the fog lamp surrounds.

If it doesn't fit straight up im sure it can be made to fit!!!!

Wraith
7th June 2007, 03:57 PM
The VXR front bar is not the same, it's deeper/lower and so is the opening and yes the fog light surrounds are different too, so just trying to fit the lower grille in the Sri opening won't work....