PDA

View Full Version : CDTi 6 Speed Gearbox

digifish
4th May 2007, 08:13 PM
Owners take note...

My gearbox has been hard to get into 1st and R when cold, hot or otherwise. I was taking it back to finally get a vacuum pump oil leak fixed under warranty (there was a 5 week wait for a gasket from Germany! :( ) and the mechanic and I had a nice long/chat test-drive to address two other issues I have had - my Gearbox and a whistle while turning.

Gearbox: Refer your Holden Dealer to -

Field Remedy 2130

Apparently a number of Manual CDTis left the factory with insufficient lubrication of the input shaft/spline on the clutch. This leads to incomplete disengaging of the clutch.

Bad news is it means the engine has to be dropped from the car to get at the shaft. All they need to do is put some grease on it! Ouch...shame I have to have my whole engine/gearbox disturbed to do this...I still have 4.5 years warranty left, so I suppose, that's plenty of time to let it all settle afterward :)

One test is to see if there is any drive off the synchros on the flat surface with the clutch fully disengaged. I can nudge my car slightly this way, particularly when cold.

Whistle: The AH has an electric steeting pump, when turning on reasonable lock this loads up the alternater and it can whistle. The demo car they had was found to be doing the same thing after I pointed out my issue...at least it's on the record now

digifish

Greggy
4th May 2007, 08:34 PM
Does this affect the Vectra C's too do you know ? We have a couple in our fleet at the office that have been suffering similar issues.

or is this limited to the AH and only Holden ? (if you know)

digifish
4th May 2007, 10:15 PM
Does this affect the Vectra C's too do you know ? We have a couple in our fleet at the office that have been suffering similar issues.

or is this limited to the AH and only Holden ? (if you know)

I was told the original technical note came from Opel, so this was first picked up in Europe apparently.
If it's the same gearbox then it is likely.

It was very obvious to me that something was wrong and that the clutch wasn't fully disengaging as being able to rock the car on the synchros is definitely a sign of that. There's another CDTi AH owner here with the same problem...it's probably something to do with the design of the CDTi 6 speed gearbox/clutch.

It's a big job tho for a dob of grease! :eek:

digifish

dieselhead
4th May 2007, 10:29 PM
how many kms have you done digifish? i think the gearbox gets better the more you drive. at least that's what happens with mine. when cold, in the morning, 1st is a bit stiff, but nothing alarming, really. after a couple of kms is all smooth and sweet tho

digifish
4th May 2007, 10:42 PM
how many kms have you done digifish? i think the gearbox gets better the more you drive. at least that's what happens with mine. when cold, in the morning, 1st is a bit stiff, but nothing alarming, really. after a couple of kms is all smooth and sweet tho

7000 km today actually.

It improves as the gearbox warms up. It hasn't really changed much since new.

When mine is warm it will occasionaly still be a bugger to get into 1st or R, but much less likely, although I can almost always get some drive off the synchros. You need to be on a completely level section and then very gently push it into 1st, if you get that resistance, you can nudge the car ever so slightly.

digifish

mintaka
6th May 2007, 03:38 PM
Digifish,

Thanks for the heads up. Will get my local dealer to look at it in the next service.

Mintaka

digifish
6th May 2007, 09:39 PM
Digifish,

Thanks for the heads up. Will get my local dealer to look at it in the next service.

Mintaka

No problem.

...I'd love to be able to live with it...but something says Nooooo...it's a new car I want it perfect! :D

kaoshunter
6th May 2007, 09:45 PM
Ours whistles in full lock steering too, doesn't bother me really can't really hear it over the music hehe

digifish
6th May 2007, 10:52 PM
Ours whistles in full lock steering too, doesn't bother me really can't really hear it over the music hehe

At least we know what it is now...I tend to drive around with my radio off, I like to listen to the car.

digifish

digifish
16th May 2007, 01:53 PM
Just closing the loop on this thread...

Problem solved! I finally have a happy car :D

As per Field Remedy 2130 the toothing of the input shaft was not greased, 'dry as' they noted.

The transformation was amazing (no stiffness at any temparature under any conditions), I now have a light, silky-smooth gearbox that feels far better than I imagined it could. What a difference a smearing of grease can make.

I think the mechanic also adjusted the clutch and linkages at the same time, the shift is just a delight now.

digifish

shoey85
16th May 2007, 07:41 PM
hmm, mine is tough maybe i should get them to check it out..
it also sometimes doesnt go into first or reverse.
how long does it take??

digifish
16th May 2007, 07:54 PM
hmm, mine is tough maybe i should get them to check it out..
it also sometimes doesnt go into first or reverse.
how long does it take??

That was my problem too.

It takes 2 days. Day to get the box out (they have to partially remove the engine) and a day to put it all back together and test. I got it back on the 3rd day. They wanted to test it from cold (morning ambient cold).

After feeling my new improved box, it isn't difficult in any gear at any time...just falls into the slot! :D

digifish

shoey85
16th May 2007, 07:56 PM
might b worth getting it checked out at the 3k service then.

digifish
21st May 2007, 11:11 PM
might b worth getting it checked out at the 3k service then.

Just a note...when I mentioned it at the first service I got -

"Gearbox OK couldn't fault".

This definitely wasn't true...but I let it slide as I thought I'd put a few more KM on it to see if it was just a new box thing.

When I spoke to them again later, the service manager said...lets see how it is after 12 months. BUT after the issues I was having with the oil leak, I said no way, this is annoying...so I got some quality time with the mechanic and he immediately agreed the box had an issue.

So don't let them fob you off, the box can be perfect from new (I know, mine is excellent now, haven't had any issues now for several weeks, never had any resistance for 1st or R). If your box is stiff/hard to enguage then something is wrong.

digifish.

shoey85
7th June 2007, 06:11 PM
just had my first service, mentioned the gearbox, they said after the service forman took my car for a spin qoute " its just a characteristic of the car, we took anotherone out for a drive and it did it aswell, so its just a characteristis of the car"

so i mentioned about lube problems from Opel, " just keep an eye on it "

so in other words we dont want to know so f/o :mad:

never get ne where with holden, they suck!

digifish
7th June 2007, 08:23 PM
just had my first service, mentioned the gearbox, they said after the service forman took my car for a spin qoute " its just a characteristic of the car, we took anotherone out for a drive and it did it aswell, so its just a characteristis of the car"

so i mentioned about lube problems from Opel, " just keep an eye on it "

so in other words we dont want to know so f/o :mad:

never get ne where with holden, they suck!

OK that sucks. It's entirely possible their other CDTi (if they even drove it...I'd want to try it for my self) has the same problem.

You need to go back and quote...

Field Remedy 2130

Also forward this thread to someone in the service department...I can tell you the gearbox can be perfect! Mine wasn't now is.

digifish