PDA

View Full Version : Astra TS/G 16" tyre change - choice

entice
2nd May 2007, 09:25 PM
Umm didnt know what title to give this topic. But I hope someone else may find this info helpful.

Got fed up with the wife's dunlop equipped Astra Convertible...so, i probably changed the tyres prematurely. I'm sure we could have got a couple thousand extra K's out of the worse one of teh lot, but I got sick and tired of teh way it drove. Put simply, I have been criticised in the past for caning teh way the car handles.. like a bag of sand is something I have referred to in the past, with it requiring oodles of mid corner correction, and often you get the feelign that teh back half of teh car doesnt really know what or when teh front half is going to do what it does...

suffice to say, it's handling was, at best, nervous and jittery.

so.. What did I choose..?

well Having the ability to be looked after in teh bridgestone range, I had teh choice of teh G3's and the firestone wide oval. Personally i have a soft spot for the g3's. I have had them fitted and driven them on 3 otehr cars, and was always impressed with their value for money. This time, since the price difference was so great (and unusually so), and teh wife not exactly a spirited driver, and the intention to move teh car on within the next year, (read by early 07), i decided to skimp on a couple hundred bucks ang go the firestones.

well, let me just say, they have completely transformed teh car....

it is sooo much more fun to drive, with so much more feel, and sure-footedness... cornering is far more confident, and they are actually quite quiet. Now, quite paradoxically, they also feel more comfortable and compliant than the oem Dunlops. Which I gues, just goes to reaffirm my thoughts that the OEM Dunlop 3000A is truly a crap piece of rubber.. a poor excuse for a tyre.

I really cant believe how much better teh car handles.. so much so that I am prepared to take back (half) the comments and criticisms I've made in teh past about teh astra's handling.

Now before you boffins start analysing my situation, please be aware that the tyre pressures for these tyres was the same as those on the old ones.

aswell, a wheel alignment was Not performed (i'll get that re-checked in a few months) as I have my race guy set my cars up....

now, most interestingly.. the new tyres do all that, as well as keeping the image that the front tyres arent flat...dunno why, but the old dunlops, even at 34-6psi, always looked flat on the front of the car... It just doesnt make sense.. same pressures, perhaps stiffer sidewall, but yet more compliant????

I dunno, but I'm just happy to have done it.. tomorrow I think I'll take her car and she can take mine.. starting to enjoy that car a whole lot more now....Would it have been any better with teh few hundred extra bucks worth of G3's? who knows? just let me enjoy these ones for now!

why oh why did GMHA delete teh Michellins from teh 16" equipped car and replace them with those crappy dunlops??????

DirtyHarry
2nd May 2007, 09:38 PM
Cost? .......

daaaaavek
2nd May 2007, 10:00 PM
why oh why did GMHA delete teh Michellins from teh 16" equipped car and replace them with those crappy dunlops??????

Save a few bucks and sell the cars cheaper .. ?

I agree .. I fitted G3's to my SRi and the difference was amazing. Mine were about $200 a corner

entice
3rd May 2007, 09:52 AM
yep.. sell cars cheaper at the xpense of poor handling.. I guess they changed at the end of the life cycle.. when all the reviews had already been written and re-written long ago.

Sorry to be vague, but mine were quite a bit under $150 a corner. The G3's were closer to 200 a corner....

dunno what retail on them is, didnt bother to ask.

J
3rd May 2007, 11:07 AM
Just wondering, entice: how long have you had the old Dunlops for? Surely the rubber hasn't aged and hardened to the point where it affected its performance, has it?

I had the same new Dunlop 3000A's (albeit 225/50R16's) on my TR Magna (modded with new lowered springs, KYB shocks, strut brace, rear swaybar, chamber alignment kit...the lot) running for a few months before someone wrote it off. They didn't feel that bad to me...I can do tight off chamber corners close to the speed limit in the wet, and no dramas whatsoever. Perhaps it's just the upgraded suspension doing all the work :)

Fitted new G3's to the front of the stock Corsa C...it seems to be more reassuring around corners than even the Astra G SRiT (albeit on Toyo Proxes4's). Pity I can't fit G3's or Wide Oval's to the SRiT...oh well, better drive conservatively until I can find more aggressive alternatives :)

entice
3rd May 2007, 11:25 AM
the dunlops were on since new, and my impressions were the same since new. They were on for only 33-34000Km's befpore I got fed up. Car was new in Nov 04. so nope, not old.

A common thing with this particular tyre, as mentioned to me by my alignment guy and an independant tyre dealer, is that the rubber has a tendency to crack.

I'm not in any way suggesteing the WideOvals or teh G3's are the best... but IMHO, they are darn good tyres, for the money. I also had the oportunuty of SO3's on the 18' wagon, but declined (only would have cost me an extra 100 bucks overall, but didnt want the frequency of rubber changes required by them)

On the SRiT, you are definitely limited for choice....