PDA

View Full Version : What was your first Opel?

cdxi
24th April 2007, 03:08 PM
I am now onto my third mid-size Holden/Opel. My current ZC CDXi replaced my much loved, highly regarded and bulletproof JSII GL hatch. My love affair with the Opel clones began in January 1986, with the purchase of a brand new, 1985 build JD Camira SL/X 1.8 (non-ULP) 5speed manual sedan.

It replaced a 1979 Holden Sunbird SL (Starfire 1.9) and began a relationship that covered nearly nine years and 200 000km.

At $14 300 (including air con, floor mats, headlight covers and some dodgy-dealer rust proofing), it was an expensive 4cyl car in today’s market. Mind you, I got $6 300 for the Sunbird which was more than I originally paid for it!

My Camira wasn’t a bad little bus. I loved it. It had great squirt from its injected, revvy little Camtech 4, was economical, had a great chassis, was comfortable and made great use of the interior space. Back in the 80’s, it was a smart looker in comparison with the contemporary Telstars, Bluebirds, Coronas and Sigmas.

General running costs were low, but major repairs were expensive. The cam belt snapped at 80 000km and mashed the valves. Big dollars. The dealer I originally used for servicing hadn’t replaced the belt at 40 000km (the wear on the belt indicated it was an original – even though my service records and receipts indicated I had been charged for a new belt at the appropriate service by the servicing Holden dealer) and CV joint replacements at 140 000 weren’t cheap. The radiator needed replacing late in its life but otherwise, the little car never let me down in a major way.

However, it suffered from mid-80’s Australian build quality. Niggly stuff that was frustrating rather than anything that made me want to park it in front of a dealership under a sign that read “Lemon”. It didn’t leak any fluids nor did it let water into the cabin or boot. But it did have an entertaining dash-light display. Late in its life, the dash lights would flash on and off instead of the little green indicator arrows, which would light up instead of the dash lights. A sharp thump on the instrument binnacle would normally fix it, but it made things a bit tricky at night time.

A bit of rust started to appear at the base of the rear windscreen and the engine started to get a bit smoky around the 170 000km mark. By this time, I was looking for a change, and as it happened, that change involved a move to the UK. With a lump in my throat, I sold my little pride and joy in December 1994 for $4 800, with just on 200 000km under her (new) cam belt.

When I moved to the UK, I eventually replaced my Camira with a 1.1l 1985 B Reg Ford Fiesta, after looking long and hard at some disastrous Vauxhall Cavaliers, Astras and Novas of the same vintage. Anyone who knows the UK used car scene will know about debilitating rust, caused by salting roads in winter. My Fiesta, even after passing an MOT prior to me trying to sell it before returning to Australia, broke in half as I had it trucked to a scrap yard.

Never let it be said that 80’s Holden build quality was below par. The 80’s UK built Vauxhalls and Fords I drove before buying the Fiesta were shocking. Appalling, in fact. My Fiesta ended up being the best of a bad bunch. It leaked, sprayed oil (I think it was oil – the sludge in the sump was contaminated so badly with water that the engine oil filler looked like the mouth of a rabid dog) and was such a cranky little thing….but it got me around the country for 10 months.

I made friends with a girl who had a D reg (’86) Cavalier, and my limited experience driving the car made me glad these things never made it to Australia. It was sloppy and slothful compared with my Camira, but was a more relaxed cruiser with a softer ride. Vauxhall must have left the book on handling to gather dust on the shelf.

I wouldn’t change a thing about my Camira experience – I loved that car and it paved the way to ownership of two successive Holden/Opel products. My ZC might well be the brand’s swansong for me if Holden replaces the Astra in 2010 with the new Gamma platform-ed small car from GM-DAT. Holden is responding to demand from the buying public for product they are willing to purchase - not product people only have desire to purchase.

But who knows? I might downsize from the Vectra into an Astra before then – the SRi petrol or the CDTi look mighty tempting. I don’t want to give up the brand if I have to.

I quite like the habit.

OPC
24th April 2007, 03:20 PM
WOW... quite a large question for a simple answer :)

Astra G SRi Turbo...

auzvectra
24th April 2007, 03:28 PM
yeah, i'm too lazy to read all that ;).
my first was a N13 nissan Pulsar with the 18LE opel motor (gm family 2 motor).
i then went for the JS2 SE 2.6L cd vectra 2001 model (with a few in between).
when that got rear ended, i ended up getting the astra, 2004 TS Astra Sri-T.
ur sunnybird, was that the 1.9L opel cih motor?, i know they were in that model, or near enough (too old for me :p).

CNBLU
24th April 2007, 03:43 PM
yeah, i'm too lazy to read all that ;) .

what he said...:p
03 ts astra SRI 2.2lt
03 ts astra SRI turbo

oneightoo
24th April 2007, 03:44 PM
2003 Astra City, then shortly after that, upgraded to a 2003 Astra SRi..

InsaneAsylum
24th April 2007, 03:45 PM
1999 vectra which i still have

my previous car was a holden gemini

can i technically say it was an opel kadett? :)

Calibrated
24th April 2007, 03:48 PM
Opel Kadett F 140iS
Opel Corsa B 1.6iS
Opel Astra F 200i Euro
Opel Calibra 2l 16v

and next...im thinking OPC..

Dee
24th April 2007, 04:00 PM
am i the only one that actually read all of it

i cant give such a detailed post... but my first opel was a
2003 Opel Corsa SXi - which you can see by clicking the link in my sig - she was pretty

CJB
24th April 2007, 04:05 PM
My first Opel was a Barina

a 1999 SB City

was so nice, but written off after 3 weeks, so I replaced it with a 99 SB Olympic Edition city, same colour.

Then I replaced that with a black XC Barina in 04, new.

woody
24th April 2007, 04:08 PM
First one was a 1.6l AstraVan (UK) gold - no brakes to speak of.

Then a 1.6l Cavalier estate (stationwagon) modified by my mate the nascar mechanic and rlling on 16" rims (not bad back then, we're talking early to mid 90's

Next was a 1.3l SRi Mk 1 Astra, bored to 1.5l custom headers.. great little car.. brought the 16's along and she stuck like sh1t on a blanket

Then i had an N13 Pulsar like ausvectra but with the lesser 1.6 GM Engine.

I sold that and got a 1.8l Astra TS Equipe, then added a 1.4 SB Barina to the fold

Sold the Astra and the SB and upgraded to the an XC Equipe and the car i drive now, the 2.2 Astra TS SRi

auzvectra
24th April 2007, 04:12 PM
i actually went back after i posted n read it :p.

btm
24th April 2007, 04:25 PM
2003 Astra SRi 2.2L

woody
24th April 2007, 04:26 PM
2003 Astra SRi 2.2L

Thats a really poor effort Bryan.. you should be ashamed ;)

Vectracious
24th April 2007, 08:31 PM
1985 VK Commodore - which was a hybrid of an Opel Rekord and Senator :p
Then got a JSII Vectra CD
Still have my wifes TS Astra CD

xplosv57
24th April 2007, 09:40 PM
Yeah technically speaking i had an Opel Senator/Rekord too (VR Commodore) and am about to get an Opel Omega (VX Commodore) but my Astra G CD is my first and only Opel ive owned!!!!!

Shaun
24th April 2007, 10:19 PM
2003 Astra SRi T

Ginge
24th April 2007, 11:27 PM
life on the roads for me started with a '99 corsa B in star silver. which on last a few weeks after i got my p's. miss it dearly. wish it had gotten fixed.

i then went to a '89 holden nova (which i know is a corolla) but the nova name from opel :P

When looking for a new car my parents wanted to go overseas and so i purchased their '99 astra g to give them more money. but prefered to drive their '01 corsa c sri. hehe.
still holding onto the astra after a slight accident causing me to purchase-------
Now a proud owner of an OPEL VECTRA C. beautiful car. all but a sunroof in it. 1 day.

well thats my car list summed up

Wraith
25th April 2007, 10:03 AM
WOW... quite a large question for a simple answer :)

Astra G SRi Turbo...

hahaha lol, you mean large answer for a simple question :)

If Commodores count here, as some others have mentioned, mine would be a 1983 VH SL/E 5.0ltr V8 Commo. purchased in 1988.

If not, YE V6 Calibra, purchased in 2002 :)

Ishley
25th April 2007, 02:55 PM
My current car 2006 Astra SRiT

luvpsi
25th April 2007, 03:22 PM
2004 Astra Sri Turbo

The other 6 cars i have owned in the past have all been Jap:)

reedaaron
25th April 2007, 09:37 PM
first opel was a 2000 corsa b swing..was a nice little car..first car also..
upgraded last year to a 2003 corsa c sri :D much better :p

no idea what i'll go to next..no plans to sell this one any time soon..

EL BURITO
25th April 2007, 10:07 PM
my Corsa C.

parents had a Cavaliear in UK when i was little

shoey85
26th April 2007, 09:44 AM
i had a pus 88 je camira ( cost me a heap to maintain and still lokked shit in beige)

then a 98 2.2 gl vectra b (my pride and joy) that i bought off my old man 4 10k back in 2003, spent over 15k on it once i owned it on ICE i used rockford fosgate subs and amps, mb quart splits front and rear, all lightning audio wiring, lightning audio capasitor, custom built boot filled with blue neons, rockford fosgate deck the first with a motorised face plate, wheels 17" speedys with dunlop sp9001 low pro tyres, minor mods under the hood i had a masive redline racing pod filter, cold air induction, lovells springs, 2-1/2" zorst with s/s cannon and a WRX wing looked pretty cool, dark green.

then for some reason i bought a vs st8o PUS

then a bran new echo MORE PUS

then i got my last car which was the vectra c that skinny84 now owns
opelised it, eyebach springs, remus zorst, hiclone, toyo t1r tyres, bmc filter, no ICE conversion im now over it.

now i have the new cdti

maloo97
26th April 2007, 12:45 PM
Commodores count also. I will say a Hsv Sport Wagon.

Otherwise a 2004 Ts Astra Cd
Then came a 1995 Ye Calibra

Greggy
27th April 2007, 01:31 AM
Mine was a good old Vauxhall Cavalier Saloon (opel vectra A) was a 2.0GLi - even to this day it was the best car I ever had !!! - and I have had quite a few...was about the only car I dont have any pics of.. :(

Was a very pretty metallic burgundy and went very well ;)

Tfer
27th April 2007, 07:43 AM
2001 Vectra B 2.6l manual CD Hatch, from new :)

And now the 2003 (built 2002) Vectra C 3.2l manual CDXi Hatch :D

auzvectra
27th April 2007, 02:44 PM
2001 Vectra B 2.6l manual CD Hatch, from new :)

And now the 2003 (built 2002) Vectra C 3.2l manual CDXi Hatch :D

hehe, the first true opel i owned (the veccy b), and the opel i almost got after the veccy b too ;).

KID_SRi
27th April 2007, 03:07 PM
My 1st was a Ascona B (LJ Torana)
Then a few Kadett C Coupes (TX-TD Gemini)
A Short Borrowing Stint in a Corsa B GSi
Then Astra G SRi.
Sold the SRi & now have a VYII Wagon.
Mum has a Corsa C.