PDA

View Full Version : Spotted LHD Caprice

MatsHolden
23rd April 2007, 09:00 PM
Followed something interesting home tonight. It was a new Caprice but with Left Hand Drive on the back windscreen. Had the Impala badge (shown below) on the boot, along with the Caprice chrome boot panel and an SS badges on the boot and on the rear doors. Had a Chevy grille on the front. Had the typical UAM Victorian plates (UAM-720) as on all Holden's VE/WM mules. Obviously the Chevy Impala. Interestingly that version of the Caprice does not get the HID Xenon head lamps, if it was in the spec that will be exported. Obviously can't take too much notice of mules when it comes to specs.

Followed it all the way home to near my place. Not a bad way to get the neighbours talking driving one of those home for the night. lol
http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/6/62/150px-ChevImpalanewlogo.jpg

Caly2c
23rd April 2007, 10:44 PM
Awsome.

Other than the badges and lights it was the same as the domestic version? Or was it like the buick with small styling changes?

maloo97
23rd April 2007, 10:48 PM
By any chance did you get any pics. be interesting to see.

MatsHolden
23rd April 2007, 11:01 PM
Awsome.

Other than the badges and lights it was the same as the domestic version? Or was it like the buick with small styling changes?

Looked pretty much like ours. Front and rear bumpers the same, different front grille to go with the chev badge. All sheet metal was the same. Wheels looked small (16's 17's). Too dark to tell any subtle differences.

And I was spewing I didn't have my camera on me! I followed him until it was obvious to him he was being stalked! haha Obviously not too concerned about secrecy, allowing employees to drive them home. Fairly safe though, pretty sure I was the only one that realised what it was in the dark. lol

Red AH SRI T
24th April 2007, 07:33 AM
The car you saw was the Chevrolet Caprice SS, which is a sports version of the Caprice sold in the UAE. For some reason they put the Impala badge on it but its not called the Impala.

MatsHolden
24th April 2007, 08:05 AM
Yeh, but again we can take the badges with a grain of salt really on a mule. Interesting the inclusion of the Impala badge, as the next Chevrolet Impala is going to be built on the Zeta platform... hmmm

rjastra
24th April 2007, 09:33 AM
Yeh, but again we can take the badges with a grain of salt really on a mule. Interesting the inclusion of the Impala badge, as the next Chevrolet Impala is going to be built on the Zeta platform... hmmm

I thought that the zeta based IMpala was being put on hold until the new CAFE regs were sorted out.

MatsHolden
24th April 2007, 09:41 AM
I thought that the zeta based IMpala was being put on hold until the new CAFE regs were sorted out.

Yeh it's a while off... and it's going to use different sheet metal etc so won't look like a Caprice/Statesman as such, but that doesn't mean that some early stage testing/experimentation isn't taking place. Remember it is a mule, not a production version.

cdxi
24th April 2007, 03:22 PM
Does anyone remember a scoop pic in Wheels a few issues back - a pic of a VE mule which was just a bit different?

It was a VE/WM hybrid. It was a SWB VE platform in LHD, but actually had the WM rear quarters with six-light profile, VE rear doors with shortened WM window frames, WM bootlid and tail lights. The front fenders were slightly different from VE and the grainy view of the interior showed a different centre stack layout from all VE/WM variants. It was not, however, the same centre stack as the Chinese Buick Royale.

Wonder what it was?? Not even the Wheels journos pointed out the obvious differences.

Any more news on the VE ute?

Red AH SRI T
24th April 2007, 08:30 PM

There are actually pics of Caprice's lined up ready to go to the UAE and they have the Impala badge on them, its not just a one off thing on the mule u saw

stevedee3
24th April 2007, 08:38 PM
The car you saw was the Chevrolet Caprice SS, which is a sports version of the Caprice sold in the UAE. For some reason they put the Impala badge on it but its not called the Impala.http://www.chevroletarabia.com/content_data/LAAM/ME/en/GBPME/001/G1/1C/1CSSE_overview.html

I guess these aren't much of a secret :)

cyclonic
25th April 2007, 10:33 PM
Does anyone remember a scoop pic in Wheels a few issues back - a pic of a VE mule which was just a bit different?

It was a VE/WM hybrid. It was a SWB VE platform in LHD, but actually had the WM rear quarters with six-light profile, VE rear doors with shortened WM window frames, WM bootlid and tail lights. The front fenders were slightly different from VE and the grainy view of the interior showed a different centre stack layout from all VE/WM variants. It was not, however, the same centre stack as the Chinese Buick Royale.

Wonder what it was?? Not even the Wheels journos pointed out the obvious differences.

Any more news on the VE ute?

That was a Pontiac G8 mule.

cyclonic
25th April 2007, 10:35 PM
The car you saw was the Chevrolet Caprice SS, which is a sports version of the Caprice sold in the UAE. For some reason they put the Impala badge on it but its not called the Impala.

Yep, and it looks horn too. Ask the guys over at cheersandgears.com. They LOVE it!

Caly2c
27th April 2007, 08:17 PM
Looked pretty much like ours. Front and rear bumpers the same, different front grille to go with the chev badge. All sheet metal was the same. Wheels looked small (16's 17's). Too dark to tell any subtle differences.

And I was spewing I didn't have my camera on me! I followed him until it was obvious to him he was being stalked! haha Obviously not too concerned about secrecy, allowing employees to drive them home. Fairly safe though, pretty sure I was the only one that realised what it was in the dark. lol

Well there you go.
I guess its no secret nowadays that these cars are a global vehicle.
They will be hitting UK streets soon too.

poita
27th April 2007, 08:19 PM
loving teh front end

http://www.chevroletarabia.com/content_data/LAAM/ME/en/GBPME/001/images/1C_gallery_big5.jpg

http://www.chevroletarabia.com/content_data/LAAM/ME/en/GBPME/001/G1/1C/1CSSE_overview.html

Caly2c
27th April 2007, 08:27 PM
Yeah looks pretty tough hey.

Would make a nice mod that front if you wanted to make your caprice a bit different to the rest