PDA

View Full Version : Washing a new car - tips needed

Metro1288
20th April 2007, 05:15 PM
Hey guys & girls,
Picking up an new Astra next week, havent had a new car for a long long time and was hoping to get some help in regards to washing. Just wanna know the do's and donts of washing a new car. Should i wax or should i not? if so can i do it immeadiately or should i wait a while? The car comes with the paint protection as well so dont know if that makes any difference. Any help would be great guys!
Cheers,
Nick

PS. BTW the car is black

pred8r
20th April 2007, 05:18 PM
If you are in Melboure, theres a carwash on the corner of Warrigul and North Rds that has girls in bikinis do a basic wash for $10
(My van costs $15, and some of the girls are FUGLY, but they do a decent(not great) job)

MK
20th April 2007, 05:41 PM
Congratulations! check this Astra and the owners tips on washing\detailing methods

http://www.corsasport.co.uk./board/v...=347865&page=1

blueraven
20th April 2007, 05:42 PM
if you wanna do it yourself, buy some quality product like Meguairs/autoglym, just a car wash and a top notch polish (meguairs nxt gen is really good) and thats all you should need on a new car. a gentle wash, and then a polish, should last for ages on a new care, and if ou keep it relatively clean and give it a polish every few months, the paintwork will stay immaculate.

BMAN
20th April 2007, 06:38 PM
Congrats on your new toy:). I've been waxing my car from the first week I got it. I wash it weekly and try to give a good wash, polish and wax once a month. I use mainly Meguiars products.

Check out my clean car below:
http://www.opelaus.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12369

The car was 2 1/2 months old. Going to do it again soon. Nothing like a shiny shiny car.:D

What Astra Model did you get VXR?

Metro1288
20th April 2007, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the tips guys, i am pretty lazy most of the time so might have to change my habits. my old car was a silver one and washed that like once every 3 months haha

Nice job there Bman, i bought exactly the same as yours :)

BMAN
20th April 2007, 07:06 PM
Thanks for the tips guys, i am pretty lazy most of the time so might have to change my habits. my old car was a silver one and washed that like once every 3 months haha

Nice job there Bman, i bought exactly the same as yours :)

Not exactly the same, got a VXR rear roof spoiler on mine. :p

R3N
20th April 2007, 07:14 PM
The worst thing on a black car is swirl marks, just some tips;

- make sure the sponge/mitt you're using to wash the car is clean at all times (i recommend a lambs wool mitt, cos that's what ive been using)
- use a 2 bucket method (look it up)
- hose down a dirty/dusty car very well before going at it with the sponge/mitt (i recommend using a pressure washer with an attachment for shampoo, that way you can foam up the car and let the shampoo dissolve the grime and then hose off before going at it with the sponge)

since its a new car, paint is fresh and clean with no swirls, don't bother with the polish, get a good quality wax (synthethic if you want it to last long or carnauba if you want a deep shine). then keep waxing it every other week or after every wash to build up the wax and protection layer, but make sure you have a car soap/shampoo that doesn't strip the wax layers or your work will go to waste

pred8r
20th April 2007, 08:03 PM
Dayem! thats worth a drive down from Sydney right there haha any hotties?

Rarely a hottie to be seen but its $25 cheaper than any other carwash quoted.

You went from silver to black OMG you are in for some fun and weekly/biweekly washes.

I can let my van go a month before it looks dusty (my theory: My van is my workplace it needs to look professional) it NEVER gets dirty.
My Barina OTOH needed to be washed weekly, but now I just CBF'd. The local carwash charges $15 and takes 15mins, I take 3hrs. It gets washed every 2 months or so.

When I was washing it;
Microfiber mit (looked like a mop)
Meguires Goldclass shampoo(?)
Synthetic Chamois (in the orange tube, just like Pop used to have:p)

Tried a few Wurth products that cost mega$$$$ (they were recommended on few other groups) unless you plan to keep using them dont even bother, as they will make it look worse until they wear off completely.

Lt Ketch
20th April 2007, 09:49 PM
Ask the Qn here

http://www.detailparadise.com.au/index.php

MatsHolden
21st April 2007, 12:08 AM
Just on the paint protection you spoke of, it does nothing. Just a rubbish dealer option. Basically justa marketing thing. As the ther guys have siad just wash it as often as you can, (once a week if poss) and a good quality wax to keep the deep shine and protect the paint. No need for a polish at this stage. I'd polish every 3 to 6 months.

Metro1288
23rd April 2007, 10:09 AM
Not exactly the same, got a VXR rear roof spoiler on mine. :p

nice one there!

Metro1288
23rd April 2007, 10:11 AM
Rarely a hottie to be seen but its $25 cheaper than any other carwash quoted.

You went from silver to black OMG you are in for some fun and weekly/biweekly washes.

I can let my van go a month before it looks dusty (my theory: My van is my workplace it needs to look professional) it NEVER gets dirty.
My Barina OTOH needed to be washed weekly, but now I just CBF'd. The local carwash charges $15 and takes 15mins, I take 3hrs. It gets washed every 2 months or so.

When I was washing it;
Microfiber mit (looked like a mop)
Meguires Goldclass shampoo(?)
Synthetic Chamois (in the orange tube, just like Pop used to have:p)

Tried a few Wurth products that cost mega$$$$ (they were recommended on few other groups) unless you plan to keep using them dont even bother, as they will make it look worse until they wear off completely.

Yeah its going to be interesting going from silver to black, mum didnt want me to get black as she knows how often i washed the old car haha

Metro1288
23rd April 2007, 10:13 AM
Just on the paint protection you spoke of, it does nothing. Just a rubbish dealer option. Basically justa marketing thing. As the ther guys have siad just wash it as often as you can, (once a week if poss) and a good quality wax to keep the deep shine and protect the paint. No need for a polish at this stage. I'd polish every 3 to 6 months.

How often would you wax it if say i am washing the car once a fortnight?

Will check out that site too Lt Ketch, thanks for that.

Tfer
23rd April 2007, 10:52 AM
How often would you wax it if say i am washing the car once a fortnight?

Will check out that site too Lt Ketch, thanks for that.

Prior to water restrictions (we are on Level 5 in South East Queensland), I would wash my Veccy once a week..... but, with the bodywork as cool as possible (ie. in the shade).

Waxing took place every 3 months, as my car was out in the weather a lot :D

BMAN
23rd April 2007, 04:46 PM
Took the car for a wash at Suttons (I usually do this before I start cleaning the car) and took it home and re-washed it using Meguiars Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner, cleaned wheels (Meguiars Non Acid Wheel Cleaner), dried the car using a 100% cotton bath towel, paint clean (Meguiars Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner), polish (Meguiars Deep Crystal Polish) and 1st layer of wax (Meguiars NXT Generation Tech Wax Liquid) yesterday. Took me 6 hours. I was using the Wax Attack Palm Polisher, masked all the rubber bits up before using the Polisher to applied the paint cleaner, removed by hand then the polish with the polisher and again removed by hand. Applied the NXT wax with the polisher and waited 1 hour for it to dry and removed by hand.

Mr Murphy (Murphy Law) showed up in the half way through the polishing and brought the rain with him.

Put a second layer of wax today (Meguiars Gold Class Wax) with the polisher and removed by hand. Just fininshed.

Car is shiny again:D.

The Wax Attack Palm Polisher is a great product. Puts on a very thin and even layer of wax and is very easy to use. Cut the application time of paint cleaner, polish and wax by half.

Car is only 3 month old and I've done this 3 times. It gets a weekly wash at Suttons City Holden. I think the product they used removes my Wax after a few wash.

Miker84
23rd April 2007, 05:08 PM
The Wax Attack Palm Polisher is a great product. Puts on a very thin and even layer of wax and is very easy to use. Cut the application time of paint cleaner, polish and wax by half.

Sounds like you've got your process down pat...my process is very similar - except I don't do it as often and therefore I clay the caralso - straight after the wash...

The Wax Attack Palm Polisher - is this a Meguire's product? I'm desperately looking for a easier way to apply my cleaner/polish/wax - I usually end up sweating so much that I drip sweat back onto the car...not good...and then the following day my hands and arms are so sore.

What other applicators do others use - other than a random orbital sander?

Hopefully, this might help you out to Metro1288 (http://www.opelaus.com/forum/member.php?u=2595)...

BMAN
23rd April 2007, 05:17 PM
The Wax Attack Palm Polisher - is this a Meguire's product?

It a Mothers product from NZ.

http://www.ehl.co.nz/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=WA

http://ehl.co.nz/Wax_Attack/wax_attack.htm

OzRodent
24th April 2007, 11:39 PM
an added question, does it hurt to wax your car a few times in a row? and will it improve the shine?

Petey
25th April 2007, 12:37 AM
Congrats on new car,

if u go to a carwash - DO NOT USE the broom!!! Use the spray on washsoap & rinse & it'll clean up most of the dirt on there... The broom adds scratches... Try it & see ; )

Wash it weekly or fortnightly - whatever floats your boat...

Once every month or two take a bucket, carwash & lambswool wash mitt with you after 6 or 7pm to a carwash & wash the car properly... Rinse it, wash with the gear & rinse again.

To dry a BLACK car - get yourself a big waffle weave microfibe cloth as it will not leave any swirls on the car like a chamois or cotton bath towel... www.waxit.com.au has them in their web site but they're not cheap!

Don't use foam sponges either... not real good for the paint

wax twice a year, use whatever you like & you'll be fine, better than 90% of the cars out there...

the website above has some great $20 - $30 waxes that are easy to put on & then remove too - use one of them. last thing you want is for your arm to fall off...

most important thing to remember, enjoy the car look after it & it'll look after you... cheers

Metro1288
25th April 2007, 11:44 PM
Thanks for all the tips guys, plenty of options for me to look at.

AF1R
26th April 2007, 08:39 AM
If you are in Melboure, theres a carwash on the corner of Warrigul and North Rds that has girls in bikinis do a basic wash for $10
(My van costs $15, and some of the girls are FUGLY, but they do a decent(not great) job)

WHICH SUBURB IS THIS

shoey85
26th April 2007, 10:18 AM

my uncle just sold me my new car so there is no bullshitting going on, he says "the paint protection only fills the small holes that the polish cannot get in to"

so he gave it to me to do my self for free.

Miker84
26th April 2007, 10:27 AM
my uncle just sold me my new car so there is no bullshitting going on, he says "the paint protection only fills the small holes that the polish cannot get in to"

so he gave it to me to do my self for free.

Hey man - don't know a heap about paint protection at all, but I've heard that it seals the paint and means that you can't polish or wax it effectively until the protection has worn away with age...might be worth looking into before applying it... :)

xcgumby
28th April 2007, 05:02 PM
I wouldn't put that dealer paint protection stuff on...

I've been checking out www.detailparadise.com.au Waxit Dave is a regular over there....

I've even gone all out & got a rotary orbit sander.. But I notice that waxit.com.au has some hand kits - foam pads that mount on a kind of 'knob'. Looks easier to use than rags,MF,cloth nappies or whatever....

Was that too off topic?

stevedee3
29th April 2007, 10:19 PM
WHICH SUBURB IS THISEast Bentleigh