PDA

View Full Version : Car is dead

dustbug
18th April 2007, 01:50 PM
Well as i said, the car is dead.

Havn't driven it since last thursday, tryed to open the car with the remote wouldn't open so i thought maybe the remote is dead. Used the key, got inside, car wouldn't start.

Well it was my fault, i realised i had left my amp on for the sub, since i have a switch and its not connected to accessories.

Tryed to jump start the car with a Citreon C4, wouldn't start.

Would trying to jump start of a Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L V6 help. Or even leave the leads on for 10 mins while the Jeep is on for a small charge and then give my car a go.

Quote for a new battery throw marshall (premium battery) is $189 delivered and installed.

CJB
18th April 2007, 01:57 PM
what about clutching it?

I had the same thing happen to me with my Barina.

But in my astra, sub is connected to accessories, thank god!

dustbug
18th April 2007, 02:05 PM
i'm waiting for my brother to get home and help me. Car is facing up the street not down.

CJB
18th April 2007, 02:08 PM
Ok, well maybe dont - when I tried in the beep beep, wouldn't work, had to get RACQ out.

I dunno, it might work, guess it depends how flat the battery is.

This is when a diesel would come in handy.

Good luck dude.

dustbug
18th April 2007, 02:10 PM
Just spoke to a mate, he said not to leave a car connected to it for 10 mins, he reakons keep the runs on the doner car up to like around 2500rpm and if that done'st work, try do a roll start, and if that doesn't work something is wrong.

Hmmmm day off for once, was going to get a car wash and some sushi train, but now i cna't get out. Not fun :(

oneightoo
18th April 2007, 02:16 PM
i'm waiting for my brother to get home and help me. Car is facing up the street not down.

clutch it in reverse..

Wraith
18th April 2007, 02:40 PM
Glad to see it's just the battery Dustbug......phew

From the thread title it sounded like your car was on it's way to car heaven :D

blueraven
18th April 2007, 02:43 PM
clutch it in reverse..

been there... ever try and push start a car yourself? just make sure your not pushing it down a slight decline...and then make sure you dont push it faster than you can run to catch up to it!! :D ahh the memmories..

oneightoo
18th April 2007, 02:52 PM
lol sounds like you've "lost" a car before??

ive clutched 2 cars in reverse before.. it's a lot easier with a 2nd pair of hands thats for sure..

glad it's only the battery and the car is really dead like wraith said..

dustbug
18th April 2007, 03:10 PM
hey thanks all for the help.

Spoke to someone to install a new battery, told him the car was under a 2 years old, he said it may be under warrenty, call them up.

Good idea!

Holden Road Side Assist said they would be here within 60 mins i.e. NRMA

We'll see what they come up with. If they are going to charge me i'll try to reverse clutching. Sounds interesting i tell you.

Otherwise cheapest quote for a new battery is $175 fitted.

Next time i'll remember to switch off my bloody amp!!! grrrr........

SSS_Hoon
18th April 2007, 03:17 PM
i don't understand why you dont have your amp running of the acc in the first place?

But at least you recognised it was your own fault that is a good thing.

SSS_Hoon

dustbug
18th April 2007, 03:20 PM
i don't understand why you dont have your amp running of the acc in the first place?

But at least you recognised it was your own fault that is a good thing.

SSS_Hoon

There has been an ongoing post discussion on finding a true ACC wire in the new AH models. And it is problems galour. Clint and Chris R are on the problems but no one can seem to give a definite answer to a ACC.

Thats the reason why it is not hooked up.

But yes i have admitted it to being my fault. But Road Side Assist will never know..............

SSS_Hoon
18th April 2007, 03:22 PM
yeah don't tell them, make sure it is turned off though they might check the system and find it.

Acc shouldnt be that hard too find im sure there would be one there somewhere there would have to be one there, the power windows would have one as im sure they don't work with the key off.

SSS_Hoon

dustbug
18th April 2007, 03:28 PM
yeah don't tell them, make sure it is turned off though they might check the system and find it.

Acc shouldnt be that hard too find im sure there would be one there somewhere there would have to be one there, the power windows would have one as im sure they don't work with the key off.

SSS_Hoon

Na i just will tell them i havn't driven the car for over a week and thats it.

Otherwise with the ACC the windows work with the remote. So i'm not too sure. otherwise there is one where the cig lighter is but it only switches off if you deadlock the car, i.e. press the lock button twice

CJB
18th April 2007, 03:36 PM
auto barn found mine no problems :p

dustbug
18th April 2007, 04:59 PM
All good everyone, NRMA came.

Asked why the battery would be flat and i was like ye havn't driven it in a week or so. And his like, hmmmm you shouldn't get a flat battery for not driving your car for a week..........

Anyways the battery was absolute 0 power. He hooked his little thing up and that thing must have a so much power, the car started off after one chuckle.

Just drove it for an hour then and battery is charged again. Close call.

Moral of the story, connect amp to ACC. (where is ACC?)

pred8r
18th April 2007, 05:45 PM
try the back of the cigarette lighter

Wraith
18th April 2007, 07:37 PM
All good everyone, NRMA came.

Asked why the battery would be flat and i was like ye havn't driven it in a week or so. And his like, hmmmm you shouldn't get a flat battery for not driving your car for a week..........

Anyways the battery was absolute 0 power. He hooked his little thing up and that thing must have a so much power, the car started off after one chuckle.

Just drove it for an hour then and battery is charged again. Close call.

Moral of the story, connect amp to ACC. (where is ACC?)

OR you can just install a switch !!! preferably a heavy duty relay type ;)

I've got my ICE's stiffening capacitors connected directly to the battery via 0 gauge wiring, (the amps then run off the caps) but I've also installed a 120amp relay on/off switch to turn the whole thing off when my car is not in use for a week or 2 at a time - works perfectly, otherwise my capacitors would run the battery dry in a few days or so....

The switch I've installed also features a built in LED voltage and current usage display :)

Sorry to go off topic, but hope that helps :)

Red AH SRI T
18th April 2007, 08:51 PM
And to answer your question about Battery Warranty, all Holdens batteries are covered by a 12 month warranty.

dustbug
19th April 2007, 09:03 AM
OR you can just install a switch !!! preferably a heavy duty relay type ;)

I've got my ICE's stiffening capacitors connected directly to the battery via 0 gauge wiring, (the amps then run off the caps) but I've also installed a 120amp relay on/off switch to turn the whole thing off when my car is not in use for a week or 2 at a time - works perfectly, otherwise my capacitors would run the battery dry in a few days or so....

The switch I've installed also features a built in LED voltage and current usage display :)

Sorry to go off topic, but hope that helps :)

Ye thats what i have installed. I got a switch coming off the amp to the front of the car where the driver is. But i forgot to flick the switch, therefore it was on for a week............ otherwise i might have a look at the cig lighter for a wire or so.

And to answer your question about Battery Warranty, all Holdens batteries are covered by a 12 month warranty.

Hmmmmm thats not good, but NRMA did come out and they started the car with their megabooster jump car starter!

Tfer
19th April 2007, 09:16 AM
Good to see it was just the battery and not something more sinister.... FYI RACQ charged me $169 for a new battery for the Veccy C (destroyed 2 months later in my rear ending accident) ;)

Wraith
19th April 2007, 09:44 PM
Ye thats what i have installed. I got a switch coming off the amp to the front of the car where the driver is. But i forgot to flick the switch, therefore it was on for a week............ otherwise i might have a look at the cig lighter for a wire or so.

hahahaha :D DOH ! :wall:

platypus
19th April 2007, 11:25 PM
what about the glove box light?