PDA

View Full Version : Walkinshaw Performance???

OzRodent
12th April 2007, 08:27 PM
Has anyone tried the exhaust and intake kits, I've been quoted $2250 fitted for both, and apparently it doesn't void the warranty on my 9 week old AH SriT Any thoughts on this would be appreciated OzRodent

MatsHolden
12th April 2007, 08:38 PM
Don't think anyone on here has tried WP's enhancements for the AH SRi Turbo yet. There was an article in MOTOR mag a few months ago on the WP AH Astra SRi Turbo project car and it got quite a good write up. As for the warranty, with it only being a cat-back exhaust and intake kit it will probably not void your warranty HOWEVER can't gaurantee that.

"Please note that your vehicle manufacturer’s warranty may be void by the fitment of our products. You should therefore check with your vehicle manufacturer to confirm the position."

OzRodent
12th April 2007, 08:45 PM
Hmmmm I'll have to have a look through a few old mags, Thanks do you think the price sounds reasonable?

MatsHolden
12th April 2007, 08:47 PM
Yeh reasonable when you consider the WP guys who will be fitting it are the best in the business.

OzRodent
12th April 2007, 08:57 PM
The impression I was given, it would be the nice guys at City Holden that would be doing the installation??

MatsHolden
12th April 2007, 09:02 PM
The impression I was given, it would be the nice guys at City Holden that would be doing the installation??

Just realised you are in Adelaide. I know WP has it's own workshop in Braeside in Victoria as that's where they are based and all work is done by top notch professionals. I did think WP had their own workshops in SA and NSW now... Wouldn't be so convinced if it's just the guys at the dealer you quoted....

MatsHolden
12th April 2007, 09:07 PM
They have dealers in VIC, NSW, SA, QLD, WA, and NZ now. The SA dealer being at 223 Glenfell St. So looks like it is the City Holden dealer. But considering they have been appointed by WP, their workmanship should be just as good as at WP's headquarters here in Melbourne.

xplosv57
12th April 2007, 09:19 PM
For a cat-back exhaust and intake, $2250 is such a rip, guess thats what you pay to keep your warranty!!!!

MatsHolden
12th April 2007, 09:36 PM
For a cat-back exhaust and intake, $2250 is such a rip, guess thats what you pay to keep your warranty!!!!

But there is no gaurantee...

"Please note that your vehicle manufacturer’s warranty may be void by the fitment of our products. You should therefore check with your vehicle manufacturer to confirm the position."

The price is due to it being WP and also them having to recoup the costs of the development time put into it. At the moment they aren't making anything from it.

Shaun
12th April 2007, 09:41 PM
Warranty. Only thing you Void is the Warranty of the Exhaust but then you would get a Warranty from WP. But if the exhaust causes whats known as Subsequntal Damage then it wouldnt be covered. If anything though the Exhaust would only help the engine as it wouldnt be so choked up .

luvpsi
12th April 2007, 09:42 PM

thats very true:( you should be able to get both of these mods for under $600 if u look around a bit. If you need anything done under warranty just re-fit the standard parts before visiting your friendly holden dealer;)

xplosv57
12th April 2007, 09:43 PM
Well in that case its a huge rip, $2250 and no warranty, that doesnt seem worth it!!!! Companies like Pacemaker and HM Headers also spend alot of time and money designing exhausts and extractors but theyre still damn affordable, for me can't justify that kind of money and still have the warranty in the balance!!!

MatsHolden
12th April 2007, 09:46 PM
Well in that case its a huge rip, $2250 and no warranty, that doesnt seem worth it!!!! Companies like Pacemaker and HM Headers also spend alot of time and money designing exhausts and extractors but theyre still damn affordable, for me can't justify that kind of money and still have the warranty in the balance!!!

Because most companies design exhausts etc. that are on high volume cars, like a WRX for instance... The SRi-T isn't exactly a mainstream player. Economies of scale... they will sell bugger all in the overall scheme of things, so have to have higher pricing (sometimes to the point of rediculous).

luvpsi
12th April 2007, 09:46 PM
The price is due to it being WP and also them having to recoup the costs of the development time put into it. At the moment they aren't making anything from it.

looks like their development effort is a bit of a waste of time IMO. There are similar or better performing products such as the ones that WP make sold overseas for less $$$;) as for the exhaust, any decent exhaust shop should be able to make a similarly perfoming cat-back for a fraction of the price WP are asking:) i know which path i would take;)

Shaun
12th April 2007, 09:47 PM

They arent just doing exhaust for one make and model are they ? Where as WP are only making products for Holden Products. The Quality in there product will show. And thats not too bad. For a Milltek out of the UK for a VXR you looking up arround $2,800 + freight .

There is an old saying. you pay for what you get. and it applys with exhaust.

MatsHolden
12th April 2007, 09:49 PM
looks like their development effort is a bit of a waste of time IMO. There are similar or better performing products such as the ones that WP make sold overseas for less $$$;) as for the exhaust, any decent exhaust shop should be able to make a similarly perfoming cat-back for a fraction of the price WP are asking:) i know which path i would take;)

Yes but just any exhaust shop doesn't spend hours and hours fine tuning the exhaust that will suit only that vehicle...

xplosv57
12th April 2007, 09:58 PM
They arent just doing exhaust for one make and model are they ? Where as WP are only making products for Holden Products. The Quality in there product will show. And thats not too bad. For a Milltek out of the UK for a VXR you looking up arround $2,800 + freight .

Well if WP are designing the exhaust for one make and model for Holden, then they should be able to make it so it complies with ADRs and hence the customer having no warranty issues!!!

I did a bit of work on a Mini Cooper S with a John Cooper Works kit, the parts in the kit are not cheap and im sure that aftermarket bits would get better performance for cheaper but people buy the JCW kits because, like WP, the JCW kit was specifically designed and tested for the car, and in turn is covered by full manufacturer warranty!!!

I can only justify WP's price if there is no warranty issue with it, otherwise like Luvpsi said, any other exhaust place will be more than happy to design an exhaust and intake for much cheaper!!!

luvpsi
12th April 2007, 10:24 PM
Yes but just any exhaust shop doesn't spend hours and hours fine tuning the exhaust that will suit only that vehicle...

true. But is it really worth spending all that money if the overall gain from the WP exhaust is only marginally better to the one made by the just any exhaust shop? Also from what i know, a cat back makes very little or no power gain at all on astra turbo. The standard system flows good enough if no other engine mods have been done:)

Shaun
12th April 2007, 11:16 PM
Cat back on any turbo car with 3 Pre Cats in the standard dump pipe will make little difference. Would go for a dump pipe as well if your chasing prefomance.

At the end the day its your choice what you put on YOUR car. People on forums are of different Opinon and thats always going to happen no matter what.

Yes the Walkinshaw Prefomance System is expnesive. Might be wise to ring them and ask them if its CNC Mandrel Bent. Not many Exhaust places used this techonlogy. I know SMB @ Ingleburn NSW use it for there SRi System. CNC bent is Bent by a computer.

Here is a Link for the SMB System for the Astra G (TS) SRi T .
http://www.smb.net.au/fullsystemsholdenastra.htm

As you can see thats a $2050 system But the Benefit of CNC is worth it. Ring Walkinshaw and ask them if they are using CNC. More then likely would find they are as they design race compoents for V8 Supercars.

Apex
13th April 2007, 07:45 AM
Has anyone tried the exhaust and intake kits, I've been quoted $2250 fitted for both, and apparently it doesn't void the warranty on my 9 week old AH SriT Any thoughts on this would be appreciated OzRodent

What are you looking to achieve by fitting the Intake and Exhaust?

I have waved fitting a cot back for now and gone with the derestricted down pipe witch had made a noticeable improvement, it has increased responsiveness and added a slightly deeper note and some nice pops when changing gear aggressively at over 4000rpm;)

As for intake, can WP tell you what the kit includes because from what I can gather it’s a K&N Pod Filter and Samco hoses?

There are far more effective intake's for the Astra H 2.0 Turbo out there.

I have just ordered one of these!

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m225/tteett/1141203241_1.jpg

Wraith
13th April 2007, 08:32 AM
My 2 cents here........

I can't believe anyone who's done research into aftermarket stuff for their car would even consider WP......They are a massive RIP OFF !

One eg: look at the price they want for lowering springs.....and guess what they use King springs........HELLO !!!!!

Seriously they could take over from where Car Shine left off ! lol.........

Even the article in Motor Mag questioned the 'value for money aspect' of what they have on offer for the AH Astra !

There are a multitude of hardware suppliers out there with items 'specifically' designed for the application which will cost you less even after you've sourced them and paid freight from O/S...

If the only thing they offer is 'non voiding' your car's warranty, it's still not enough to get my business, it's just a very poor excuse or justification for the wouded bull pricing and trying to flog off poor quality items at premium prices........

Tfer
13th April 2007, 09:33 AM
My 2 cents here........

I can't believe anyone who's done research into aftermarket stuff for their car would even consider WP......They are a massive RIP OFF !

One eg: look at the price they want for lowering springs.....and guess what they use King springs........HELLO !!!!!

Even the article in Motor Mag questioned the 'value for money aspect' of what they have on offer for the AH Astra !

There are a multitude of hardware suppliers out there with items 'specifically' designed for the application which will cost you less even after you've sourced them and paid freight from O/S...

If the only thing they offer is 'non voiding' your car's warranty, it's still not enough to get my business, it's just a very poor excuse or justification for the wouded bull pricing and trying to flog off poor quality items at premium prices........

Well put Wraith.... could not have said it better myself :)

luvpsi
13th April 2007, 12:54 PM
My 2 cents here........

agree:) regarding the springs - king springs can be purchased (incl install) for around $300 these days. Comare that to what WP asks for them:eek: They are the same springs, arent they? So what gives them the right to charge double that??? IMO the same theory goes for the rest of their products:( My last thought - if you have an AH turbo and plan to spend your money at WP modifying it, the end price will see you go near the 45k mark, for which you could purchase a brand new VXR;) Now i know which one i'd rather have:)

OzRodent
13th April 2007, 03:39 PM
[quote=Wraith;222224]My 2 cents here........

Thats why i posed the question here, as part of my research!

thanks for all your replies, now the second part of my question. Springs, i know you have all suggested "Kings" would i also have to change the dampeners? current ones have cdc magic in them, which does give my wife a " lovely pliable" ride and the option for a firmer ride, etc for me

Wraith
13th April 2007, 05:03 PM
Not to sure on your info/question above...

But if this helps, there are a couple of other AH Astra owners looking at lowering springs options for their cars ATM.

I believe the thread is in the 'Astra models' section - try that or PM Simon (SIMID) he's being doing alot of research to see exactly which ones are the correct ones and compatible for the new AH's and he's also looking into what needs to be done if anything with the stock dampers...

Most of us recommend either Eibach's or H&R springs, they are tried and proven by many of us here on the forum :)

OzRodent
13th April 2007, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the help Wraith, I'll have a look into them, BTW I heard a WP exhaust today on an SRi T, sounded just horny

opelboy
13th April 2007, 05:58 PM
i agree with wraith but not sure about the car shine part! but wp are way over priced with not much to show

Shaun
13th April 2007, 07:44 PM
Thanks for the help Wraith, I'll have a look into them, BTW I heard a WP exhaust today on an SRi T, sounded just horny

Are they CNC Mandel Bent?

OzRodent
13th April 2007, 08:05 PM
Shaun not too sure, but they are a mandrel bend

Shaun
13th April 2007, 10:19 PM
I would say for the price they would be.

Wraith
14th April 2007, 08:25 AM

I'm sure in saying you'll be able to acquire the same result from any other exhaust place - just make sure you tell them exactly what your after :)

Wraith
14th April 2007, 08:37 AM
i agree with wraith but not sure about the car shine part! but wp are way over priced with not much to show

Hi OpelBoy, not sure how long you've known or dealt with Carshine, but I've been familiar and enquired about items with them from over 15 years ago....

Basically the story is that they were always amongst the highest priced merchants for Euro car bits, hence their business 'downsizing' and moving from the City to Tullamarine around 3 years ago !

I last spoke to them last year regarding a slim line spoiler for my vert - they were still the most expensive supplier lol - some people just never learn.

Alot of other people here who've had dealings with them will tell you the same thing, however I am aware that as of late they've been offering Eibach springs for a very good price as part of a stock clearance, maybe their trying to gain some business back, who knows, but it'll be a long time before they can turn their overpriced reputation around !

SIMid
15th April 2007, 08:06 PM
agree:) regarding the springs - king springs can be purchased (incl install) for around $300 these days. Comare that to what WP asks for them:eek: They are the same springs, arent they? So what gives them the right to charge double that??? IMO the same theory goes for the rest of their products:( My last thought - if you have an AH turbo and plan to spend your money at WP modifying it, the end price will see you go near the 45k mark, for which you could purchase a brand new VXR;) Now i know which one i'd rather have:)

I've actually contacted Alkon in Thomastown who cant lower the AH turbo because of the electronic dampers. But the standard AH, it'll be around $500 (Kings). Rang Peddars, says it will cost $680 to fit their Springs (Kings again, painted different colour, hence the extra $$). :rolleyes: Maybe a standard AH is $300, not for a AH SRI-T. WP may use Kings, but they "may" also do their own adjustments compared to the rest of them. :confused:

I've spoken to a few people and they havent had any probs with the King Springs. And really, if your going to do some track work, then go for the good stuff, H&R or Eibach. If your just cruising around and have the occasional "B" road for a squirt, I can't really see the problem. Who's gonna look underneath and go "Dam, U bought the wrong ones cause it's not from Europe." :boohoo:

Wraith
16th April 2007, 10:31 AM
I think the main concern here has more to do with ride quality (on normal roads of course) and spring performance longevity than just brand name Simon.

Many people have commented that the Kings give a much harsher ride, than equivalent lowered height Eibach's (this would be because they are not a progressive rate spring like Eibach's and H&R) and I've heard of cases of sag over time with the Kings as well.....

But in the end each to their own, hopefully you guys can find more options for your AH Sri t's they do look soooo much better lowered a bit :)

OzRodent
16th April 2007, 04:58 PM
I've now started looking for a reputable suspension dealer in Adelaide that can sell and fit some Eibach springs,
the exhaust and intake bits can wait a few extra weeks.
any suggestions for a suspension place??

thanks for all your help so far

Phil

opelboy
16th April 2007, 05:54 PM
Wraith, i totally believe you mate, i know alot of there stuff is like that, i did alot of dealings with them over 5years with my barina and had no troubles n nothing but excellent service! but do agree with u.

SIMid - you get yours lowered yet?, i believe WP use kings with no adjustments, altho under load and hammering it heard they had couple of rubbing issues.

R3N
16th April 2007, 06:52 PM
For the price of the cat-back I'd rather go for Milltek

Astra Mk5 VXR 2.0 Turbo_2005 and later

Large Bore Downpipe and Hi-Flow Sports Cat MSVX2204 Turbo Downpipe 2.50"
MSVX2208 Hi-Flow Cat Assembly

TOTAL: $2290

Cat-back MSVX2209 Centre Silencer 2.50"
MSVX2213 Over-Axle Pipe
MSVX2227 Rear Silencer Special

TOTAL: $1595

Turbo-back MSVX2204 Turbo Downpipe 2.50"
MSVX2209 Centre Silencer
MSVX2213 Over-Axle Pipe

TOTAL: $3490

For an intake, spend $600 or so and get a BMC CDA (look it up on google)

Shaun
16th April 2007, 06:59 PM
For the price of the cat-back I'd rather go for Milltek

Astra Mk5 VXR 2.0 Turbo_2005 and later

Large Bore Downpipe and Hi-Flow Sports Cat MSVX2204 Turbo Downpipe 2.50"

TOTAL: $2290

Cat-back MSVX2209 Centre Silencer 2.50"
MSVX2213 Over-Axle Pipe

TOTAL: $1595

Turbo-back MSVX2204 Turbo Downpipe 2.50"
MSVX2209 Centre Silencer
MSVX2213 Over-Axle Pipe

TOTAL: $3490

For an intake, spend $600 or so and get a BMC CDA (look it up on google)

The exhaust i will buy at some point for my VXR when i get it . (Very soon i must add Very Soon)

SIMid
16th April 2007, 07:21 PM
SIMid - you get yours lowered yet?, i believe WP use kings with no adjustments, altho under load and hammering it heard they had couple of rubbing issues.

Not yet, did get a confirmation from WP today regarding their springs.

The springs are developed in conjunction with 'Kings'.

They are specific for the SRi so it's not like they were a universal spring modded just to fit. The article Opelboy said there was some rubbing, but only through hard cornering and with 2 up. Depends how hard your gonna push. ;)

Still havent found a decent price for Euro springs yet. How did your trip go to WP the other day?

opelboy
16th April 2007, 07:44 PM
good, there astra looks the goods, grille is very nice, 990 tho! think somehow should be able to get imersher grille cheaper? anyone know where

the springs were done with kings, and have heard that king springs now sell them too! only under hard load in rubbed is what i was told but don't think many of us would be doing that on the roads!

i am going to bite the bullet and get a set of kings not through WP but from kings direct i waiting to here back tomorrow. will let you know how much SIMid. If there not i can always get something else

Wraith
16th April 2007, 08:24 PM
Opelboy, try Irmscher-bits.com (they are U.K based) for the your Irmy grille, they are very well priced and have excellent service, I got my grille and a whole lot of other goodies from them and am very happy with everything :)

You can deal exclusively online or you can contact them by phone and speak/order by voice.

SIMid
17th April 2007, 08:29 AM
i am going to bite the bullet and get a set of kings not through WP but from kings direct i waiting to here back tomorrow. will let you know how much SIMid. If there not i can always get something else

Cool bananas, maybe the mob can do 2 SRiTs at the same time and get a discount? ;) Saturday morns is the best time for me if thats going to be yr next Q!