PDA

View Full Version : Astra CDTI leather? yes!

pred8r
10th April 2007, 05:47 PM
Looking at getting a new car (again!)

Astra CDti now has the option of factory leather and heated seats = +$2200

Also has a 12 disc stacker at no cost, go figure

Specs were;
Star Silver
18" 5 spokes (4 of)
Towbar
Leather seats

Price approx $34k D/A

Dont want to spend that much though.

Bog Stock 06.5 Star Silver $28.5k D/A

Thoughts?

EL BURITO
10th April 2007, 06:13 PM
since when can u get lether ?

xplosv57
10th April 2007, 06:38 PM
Can get a SRi Turbo for 34k now, with standard leather etc!!!!

KID_SRi
10th April 2007, 06:56 PM
I was talking to a mate who is a New Car Sales @ Holden, He was saying the CDti are getting hard to get in. So orders for other countries might end up here, Meaning Leather Seats & If Holden Spark enough interest they might bring in CDti Coupes.

pred8r
10th April 2007, 07:34 PM
since when can u get lether ?

In their systems order sheet, its listed as option for an AH CDX (which also has the CDTI engine option). There did not appear to be a dedicated CDTI orderform.

It appears that this is how they can be configured, but they are NOT available 'off the shelf' as such, they are a wait 3 months 'custom' build.

Would you pay $32K+ for a CDX (leather specced) just because it has diesel, considering the same(06.5 model, new) is available for $28k in a petrol version? Holden obviously dont think people will. They wont bring them in and risk it not selling (doesn't mean its not available for customer order though)

The sales guy i was speaking to said the CDTI isnt selling well in the cities, the country OTOH they are hotcakes, but that the overall total volume just wasnt there for the model. He didnt expect Holden would continue them, esp. a different shaped one. He said that a few companies have been trialling them, but in the end they are just undecided to their value.

pred8r
10th April 2007, 07:51 PM
Can get a SRi Turbo for 34k now, with standard leather etc!!!!

But its not diesel.

Alix
10th April 2007, 08:59 PM
The sales guy i was speaking to said the CDTI isnt selling well in the cities, the country OTOH they are hotcakes, but that the overall total volume just wasnt there for the model. He didnt expect Holden would continue them, esp. a different shaped one. He said that a few companies have been trialling them, but in the end they are just undecided to their value.

I know that I decided to buy with a loan rather than save the cash for mine because I wasn't sure that Holden would stick with it. I thought it quite clearly a market tester model - quite a few extras and a cheap price.

IMHO the market its aiming for is being eaten up by the Golf. And the only reason I can put it down to is that the Golf is trendier to own - certainly I could find no compelling reason to spend the considerable extra on the Golf and end up with essentially the same car (DSG excluded here - I'm only comparing manual to manual).

Both are "German" cars, built elsewhere. I'd rank Belgium over South Africa as a car manufacturer. I've seen plenty of Golf owners here and overseas complaining about rattles and poor finish, so the "better built" argument doesn't stack up. I've seen complaints about the Golf dealers in Australia being a bit Soup Nazi about extras and discounts, the waiting lists, and the attitude of the service staff in addressing warranty claims - so they're no better than Holden dealers on that score either. The power, size, driving experience and equipment levels are within a poofteenth, with the Astra slightly ahead if anything.

The only significant differences I can find cancel each other out: the CDTi interior isn't as practical as the Golf's, but then, the Golf exterior looks like someone attacked a jelly bean with a bicycle pump.

Nope, can't see why anyone in their right mind would fork out the extra for the Golf. I can only conclude they're not in their right minds...it's a fashion thing.

Which is a bit of a shame for Holden.

No doubt we'll all be reading used car reviews of the CDTi in five years time saying how great a car it was, what a shame the buying public didn't buy them.

Oh well, I've got mine. The guys I've given the keys to reckon it's a bit of alright too. I'm happy with what I purchased, it does exactly what it says on the box so I've got no complaints.

As for those prices: they seem high to me. My MY07 cost me $28K, which included about 1K of accessories. I paid my own onroads on top of that - call it $29.5K all up. They want only $1K less for a twice-superceded model (the MY07.5 is out now, no?) with no extras (OK - metallic paint)? Forget it.

The new one with leather? Hmmm. Not a big fan of leather seats, and fabric ones don't need heaters. (I live in Canberra - you'd think I'd have experienced the odd chilly morning.)

The wheels are the killer - Mine's got 16s, which I like, but I reckon 17s would look just as good. 18s would be the absolute limit for my tastes. And they're an expensive option, especially when you add tyres. Can't say I'm a fan of the look of the new MY07.5 wheels, so probably worth upgrading them.

All up, I'd say it was borderline, but I'd be thinking you'd be quite keen to pay that. Definitely not a bargain.

EDIT: Pity about the twelve stacker though. That would be nice...

blueraven
10th April 2007, 11:48 PM
sweet jesus these things are getting way too cheap.

EL BURITO
11th April 2007, 01:41 AM
sweet jesus these things are getting way too cheap.
I think i might want one if i can have leather

rjastra
11th April 2007, 09:13 AM
Everyone seems to forget the new SRi (coupe or hatch). Motor has a short road test of one this week. The auto does a 8.9sec 0-100km/h and a 16.5 sec 0-400m. The manual is faster still. They mention it's a better handler/drive than the diesel. And it comes with all the features that people seem to want to option on the diesel version.

EL BURITO
11th April 2007, 01:40 PM
Everyone seems to forget the new SRi (coupe or hatch). Motor has a short road test of one this week. The auto does a 8.9sec 0-100km/h and a 16.5 sec 0-400m. The manual is faster still. They mention it's a better handler/drive than the diesel. And it comes with all the features that people seem to want to option on the diesel version.
but u do not get the fuel economy and in my case the wheels would get changed no mater wat was on it

pred8r
11th April 2007, 04:27 PM
No-one has an official figure on the 0-100 for the cdti that we have.

The only ones I have found are;
Vauxhall Astra 1.9 CDTi 16v (150ps) SRi 5 door (http://www.carpages.co.uk/guide/vauxhall/vauxhall-astra-1.9-cdti-16v-%28150ps%29-sri-5dr.asp) 8.3 sec
The 170ps 2.0t petrol here (http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/road_tests/index.htm?id=148) 8.4sec

So from this little bit here I would assume we have the 5 door diesel SRi without the SRi bodykit. (note: leather is an option on the CDTi SRi)

The real question then, would be, Do you REALLY want the bodykit and higher running costs?

RJastra: there is only £300 difference (diesel being the lesser) between the petrol/diesel SRi models. All things considered IF Holden had decided to release the CDTi SRi they would probably be very similar pricing as they would be here in greater quantities.
Then the discussion would change to; 'Which of these 2 (at the same price) would you choose, considering one will cost 1/3rd less to run?', I think It'd be a no brainer and the diesel would leave the other to rust in the yards.

digifish
12th April 2007, 11:16 PM
You can get the cloth seats re-covered in leather for ~$2500 (and yes they know how to preserve the air-bags). You get to choose an exact shade you want and it's better quality leather...I am going to do this when I get around to it.

digifish.

dieselhead
13th April 2007, 08:54 PM
digifish, could you please give some details about this? i want leather in my drive, $2.5k is tempting! would that include those tiny door inserts, too? :)

Red AH SRI T
13th April 2007, 10:50 PM
You could go to Doyles and get it done for about $2k.

The last guy who bought a diesel from me chose black (and i mean black) leather and the guys a doyles also copied the original white stitching around the edges of the seats. They also did the door inserts, complete with a stitched line going along the length, just near the top. Looked very classy.

I have pics somewhere i think. Will have a look when i get to work tomorrow ;)

dieselhead
13th April 2007, 10:57 PM
that sounds great, but i'm in Adelaide... would you know how long would it take to get it done? ta

Red AH SRI T
13th April 2007, 11:08 PM
Im not sure if there is a Doyles in your state?

Getting leather installed only takes 1-2 days

*EDIT*

just checked, NSW only.

I'm sure there would be someone similar in your state though

digifish
14th April 2007, 09:39 AM
that sounds great, but i'm in Adelaide... would you know how long would it take to get it done? ta

I'll have to chase it up (I forget). It was a place recommended by Claridge Holden when I was dithering about the lack of leather in the CDTi, the company does conversions for many of the local dealers when customers who don't want to wait for leather models to come in (Mercedies for example).

I'll find out and post here.

digifish

digifish
14th April 2007, 02:59 PM
WMT Auto Seats And Trim

WMT
466 South Rd
Marleston SA
8292 2500

http://www.willshire.com.au/index.htm

dieselhead
14th April 2007, 06:26 PM
thanks digifish, i might pay them a visit next week :)

Red AH SRI T
16th April 2007, 07:48 PM
I asked our stock control today as to whether the Genuine leather was available as a special order on the CDTi. She wasn't 100% sure so she emailed GM directly.

The response: N O

So if the dealer told you it was possible (for genuine leather), then they are bullshitting you.

digifish
16th April 2007, 08:26 PM
I asked our stock control today as to whether the Genuine leather was available as a special order on the CDTi. She wasn't 100% sure so she emailed GM directly.

So if the dealer told you it was possible (for genuine leather), then they are bullshitting you.

There's obviously something confusing in the internal doccumentation as I had two dealers tell me it was (6 months ago) when I was shopping.

digifish

pred8r
16th April 2007, 09:44 PM

Its on the order page, that orders are customised/optioned for the customers vehicle, on the computer system at the dealer.
Id have grabbed a printout except the printer 'wasnt working'.

digifish
16th April 2007, 10:11 PM
thanks digifish, i might pay them a visit next week :)

When you do, ask if there is a discount for doing 2 at the same time.

digifish

dieselhead
16th April 2007, 10:17 PM
will do! you want it in black, too? :)

pred8r
16th April 2007, 10:23 PM
If you dont mind could you also ask them;

If they have the templates to make XC Barina SRi?
If they will supply covers only and the cost. (leather front/sides with vinyl back, in black, and adding rear pockets)

digifish
16th April 2007, 10:46 PM
will do! you want it in black, too? :)

I was going to see what colours they had...dark charcoal grey or black was the idea.

entice
17th April 2007, 08:17 PM
i've been told by those in the know that a special order would take 7 months...
so if indeed u did order one, the model would be superseeded prior to arrival.