PDA

View Full Version : replacement heads

tuner
9th April 2007, 02:46 PM
Good day all, its been a while, ive stuffed up my head on the X16XE engine, what heads from the other versions, astra, barina, vetra are compatiable with this engine, GM quoted me $5k + any ideas,

auzvectra
9th April 2007, 02:55 PM
damn, thats ridiculous.
they obvoiusly just dont want to know about it.
i would beleive the X14XE may be compatible, but not sure.
it's a small block motor, so there isnt many options there unfortunately.
i would say just repair it, how bad's the damage?
typical timing belt skip teeth problem was it?

tuner
9th April 2007, 03:06 PM
damn, thats ridiculous.
they obvoiusly just dont want to know about it.
i would beleive the X14XE may be compatible, but not sure.
it's a small block motor, so there isnt many options there unfortunately.
i would say just repair it, how bad's the damage?
typical timing belt skip teeth problem was it?
Its just holden, bloody fools LOL, well long storey kut short, they did the timing belt about 3months ago, then one day it didnt start, took it to holden, 2 weeks later, they said one of the roller bearings siezed, and that had melted the timing belt, but becuase of holden and Racq tried to start it, it bent the valves in the head...

I thought the heads off the C18NZ, C16NZ etc etc including most of the mid 90s to 2000 models we compatiable, considering there the same block, ive search every where with no luck, ive even joined a few uk opel forums with no luck aswell

SSS_Hoon
9th April 2007, 03:13 PM
get a 2nd hand one from a wrecker and get it reco alot cheaper then 5k that is for sure.

SSS_Hoon

platypus
9th April 2007, 03:56 PM
is the head itself ok?

i'd take the head off and take it to repco for exchange or a reco job, if your relatively handy with things! otherwise do what i did and order a head kit... took me 2 weeks in my spare time to assemble the head again, complete with 16 new valves, valve seals, all head seals (radiator, thermostat, EGR and rocker cover) new head gasket and new studs (have to be replaced everytime the head comes off)

cost me $350 all up, including random tools i had to buy... i see your in Brisbane...where abouts??

try this listing - the guy i've used before and was very happy with!
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VAUXHALL-CORSA-1-6i-DOHC-ECOTEC-HEAD-KIT_W0QQitemZ130097671796QQcategoryZ10404QQcmdZVie wItem

i'd assume you also need a timing belt - he does them too!!

auzvectra
9th April 2007, 05:48 PM
i know the 1.6L is in the small block opel motor and the big block motor, but i'm pretty sure that the GSI runs the small block, so all the 1.8L 2.0L ect wouldnt work.
i'm not 100% sure, but i believe thats the case.

tuner
10th April 2007, 07:30 AM
they recon the head is ok, ive got no compression in no2, and stuff all in 3 and 4,so they think its only bent valves,( fingers crossed)... i didnt get holden the take the head off, becuase last time i blew the head, they told me they couldnt do that type of work, and now they siad they can,, so there not getting anymore of my money..

The engine its self is in perfect running order, ( apart from the head LOL ) , i might just have to call repco ..

Yeah i m a brissy boy, i live on the westside, oxley to be exact, My opel is a Coasra B, 1995 Gsi,, Black with clear tail lights, how abouts ur self buddy ?

tuner
10th April 2007, 07:31 AM
well would the 1.4 twin cam upto the 1.5 work ? im mean from the older astras

auzvectra
10th April 2007, 03:29 PM
from my knowlegde, the only 1.4L would be in the 99/00ish (correct me)
model barina, with the X14XE, and i'm not sure on the 1st of the XC barina i think it was the same motor, just not sure.
i dont think there was any other 1.4L's.

tuner
10th April 2007, 04:30 PM
mm mvery interesting. i know with the xc engines, that the only differance was, it had a second crank angle sensor i think, or could it be cam angle sensor, god knows,,, i just wish there where more then 5000 corsa b Gsis in australia

tuner
10th April 2007, 06:19 PM
mate , ive checked that site, and ur a god send. im gong to rebuild the head , cheers buddy

platypus
10th April 2007, 07:30 PM
mate , ive checked that site, and ur a god send. im gong to rebuild the head , cheers buddy

that site made my week it did!!!

tools you'll need are valve spring compressor (not the one you use with an air tool - remember you have no compression) it looks like a big U in shape
valve lappers and grinding paste - and a good set of torx sockets, plus a torque wrench

allen keys to remove the covers too... and of course screwdrivers and sockets...

if you have any questions or want a hand i can try and help you out through the net, but oxley is a bit far when i need to be minding the bub!!! (Petrie to be spot on!)

tuner
11th April 2007, 07:08 AM
thanks buddy. i ll be ordering one in the next week or so, petrie, thats not far, my GF lives a warner, petrie is like a stones throw away... anyway buddy ill keep u informed

platypus
12th April 2007, 07:32 AM
i used to live in warner!!

PM sent to you!