PDA

View Full Version : New Subaru Impreza

xplosv57
7th April 2007, 09:01 PM
Is it just me, or does the new Impreza look like a smaller tarted up Camry, or in other words, REALLY UGLY!!!!!! I mean i got used to the bugeyes back in 2001 or whenever it was, but gee this is a big difference!!!

http://www.fullboost.com.au/news.php?newsId=1386#fullBOOST%20news#

P.S. may have to be a member to view this, sorry!!!

http://http://www.fullboost.com.au/popNews2.php?image=subaru_0703_impreza&i=1&n=5&y=2007

oneightoo
7th April 2007, 09:04 PM
it's lost the aggressive look to it..

it's gone soft..

xplosv57
7th April 2007, 09:10 PM
Yeah looks like a stock family sedan with one of those cheap tacky kits some dealers offer, eg Kia, Mitsubishi lancer etc!!

Lt Ketch
7th April 2007, 09:45 PM
Said to a mate the other day that the new rex looks like a camry with a hole in its bonnet! Not a good look! And the rear of the Hatch/Wagon looks like a 90's Hyundai design!

And I think the camry is THE ugliest modern car in the road (that is apart from ANY Ssangyong)

dieselhead
7th April 2007, 10:23 PM
it looks like a Lanos with a bad sports kit on... the new Evo will run circles around it, sales wise!

entice
8th April 2007, 09:17 AM
i actually dont mind the hatch part. The front end is a bit.. vague. Looks like the rear of teh sedan is up too high..

I think.. wait for a Blitzen Grille, and a decent set of wheels and suspension, and it could be a nice car... alternatively, wait for the STI.. should bring back some hard Masculinity.

But so far, I agree with digi.. the Lancer is up.

Vectracious
8th April 2007, 09:26 AM
http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2007/04/wrx2.jpg

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2007/04/wrx3.jpg

http://mitglied.lycos.de/sondermodelle/sth/13.jpg

http://mitglied.lycos.de/sondermodelle/sth/14.jpg

I'm glad I bought an MY05.... However, Subaru I reckon will do well with this car - nice anonymous styling with the benefit of AWD safety........ The mums and dads and grandparents are going to lap it up (the base models anyway)

Poogene2001
8th April 2007, 09:48 AM
Surely the bonnet scoop they release the car with can't really be that big.
It takes up half the bloody bonnet.
Compare it to todays WRX's and its twice as big.

Vectracious
8th April 2007, 09:52 AM
I think it just looks massive due to shadowing. Its probably as big as the STi one now, but because its recessed into the bonnet, its not going to obstruct vision as much.

Wraith
8th April 2007, 10:37 AM
Yep, it's 'softened up' alright and that's exactly the way Subaru wants it...

I've been researching into this car, just because I'm very, very, very interested in the new Lan Evo Mk10 and want to compare all things between the new models of these 2 cars.

Subaru wants the new wrx to compete with the main crop of the Euro hot hatches, ie: Golf Gti, Magene, Xr5 Focus etc. so it's new look is suppose to attract people who would consider any of those, rather than what it used to be aimed at.

Of course final opinion to it's looks will be an individual choice when we see the actual production car.

I still prefer the look of the new Evo 10, the latest released images called prototype X are meant to be representitive to about 95% of the final production car. I love it :)

One things for sure, the Euro hot hatch market will have to up the ante to match the new wrx, with the top model (sti ?? if it's still going to be called that) being released with no less than 225kw and of course AWD !

xplosv57
8th April 2007, 12:01 PM
LOL sedan is a morphed (in a bad way) Camry, and hatch is just like a Lanos except the Subaru has 2 reverse lights!!!!

Evo 10 is gonna kill this thing, that is a sexy car and shows it can be different to the previous model and still look good!!!! Dunno where Subaru went wrong!!!

P.S. Pete im also glad you got an MY05 not a kitted Camry LOL!!!!!

Benny_SRi
8th April 2007, 01:46 PM
Hmm, yes, looks like pretty dubious styling - camry for sure. The front and rear of the hatch look like a lanos and the sides look like a 1 series bimmer. im sure the little bugger will be quick though! STI Hatch this time???

Mainframe_Module
8th April 2007, 02:22 PM
who would want to be seen in something as ****ing ugly as that?!

it's BEYOND VILE.

(edited to add: i think that of subaru's in general...but this one even moreso)

CJB
8th April 2007, 03:30 PM
mmmm.......

well maybe someone will mod theirs well enough to make it look aggressive.

A decent set of mods, wheels, lowering and maybe a sticker or two can make so much difference.

AF1R
8th April 2007, 03:39 PM
Man thats fugly as my left nut.

I dont know who the hell is designing cars for Subaru these days, i expect this level of fugliness from a Korean car maker not a Jap *shakes head

Wraith
8th April 2007, 03:49 PM
hahahahaha LOL I pity your left testicle :D

But in all seriousness, yes those pics do show a very 'ordinary' update for a car which has a strong rep to uphold !

Hopefully for Subaru, the final production machine will be much better than that.

At this stage it looks like Mitsu will indeed kill em, sales wise with the new Evo 10, but then again it also depends alot on the final pricing of the new Evo, if it's as good as the Mk 9, they'll be one in my garage for sure :dance:

Red AH SRI T
8th April 2007, 05:21 PM
looks like a kia rio to me

cyclonic
9th April 2007, 03:37 AM
Welcome to styling cars for the American market.

oneightoo
9th April 2007, 11:01 AM
subaru going broke maybe?

couldnt afford a decent designer?

CORZZA
9th April 2007, 11:10 AM
Im sorry this is far too subtle to be a WRX in my opinion! I tell you one thing though you wont be getting any wogs buying it! its not butch enough!

Looks like a liberty crossed with a hyundai

Vectracious
9th April 2007, 12:14 PM
has the sale of part of FUJI heavy industries gone through to Toyota already (sorry, I actually dunno) - if it has, does it mean that this is the first car designed with Toyota influence? If it is, it kind of figures.

EL BURITO
9th April 2007, 12:52 PM
I actually like the hatch. sedan looks weird it dosnt fit with previous bodys. but the hatch looks alright.

Wraith
10th April 2007, 08:41 AM
Welcome to styling cars for the American market.

If you read most of the reports, it's actually being designed for the European market....

But I do believe it's an American design team or studio that's actually doing the work, so if it looks 'yankish' that's probably why :)

Evo 10 all the way I say :D it looks hot and will have all the hi po and handling to match :)

Apex
10th April 2007, 08:53 AM
I think it looks like a Subaru Impreza. Don’t see what the big deal is, the WRX has always been a bland looking car that performs well for cheep price.

I don’t understand why they insist on a top mount interheater still, the car would look a lot better without the Ford Territory turbo bonnet scoop!

UnKnOwN
10th April 2007, 09:32 AM
looks like a mitsubishi outlander to me =P and yea, the agressive look is gone

digifish
10th April 2007, 11:27 AM
Moving footage...WRX is second...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh1y1dCOCCU&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Egoogle%2Ecom%2Freader%2Fvi ew%2F

dug74
10th April 2007, 03:50 PM
The hatch actually looks exactly the same as a MPS Mazda hatch....same lines along the side and rear....but i will say the front looks like a camry.

I have read that the subaru was trying to get some euro market share as well against the other 14 hot hatches on the market. <hence the styling>

It has BMW 1 series and Mazda 3 written all over it..

Good luck to them...they will again find out like the 2000 Bug-Eye edition, that the cult WRX sales will fall. I think subaru is changing their markets towards a more older driver. <trying to steal over 50 camry owners maybe>

P.S. The Evo X is amazing and with 2 models will be very interesting.

Cheers
DUG74

imay
11th April 2007, 10:54 AM
http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2007/04/wrx3.jpg

Toyota Camry with a bonnet scoop!

oneightoo
11th April 2007, 11:05 AM
it's a Subyota Campreza

Wraith
11th April 2007, 11:06 AM
At least we all agree the new Evo 10 is a great update.....

De-tuned lower spec ralliart variant is due here June/July - 36-46k pricing.

Full spec version some time next year .... damn wait :(

http://i13.tinypic.com/3z9h1u8.jpg

oneightoo
11th April 2007, 11:08 AM
thats one sexy car..

i think im sold..

Wraith
11th April 2007, 11:20 AM
You and just about everybody else who's seen it.......

Check these pics out from the Oz Evo forum....
Chop job with a different front - similar to Evo 9
http://i11.tinypic.com/472l9qp.jpg

And this pocket rocket 2 door, Evo 9 running gear with engine tuned to 300kw :eek:
http://i14.tinypic.com/2uihyfm.jpg

JohnBu
11th April 2007, 11:24 AM
De-tuned lower spec ralliart variant is due here June/July - 36-46k pricing.

where did you see/hear this?

Apex
11th April 2007, 11:24 AM
That last pick is a Mitsubishi Eclipse, you can buy them with a detuned EVO motor now:)

Wraith
11th April 2007, 11:44 AM
where did you see/hear this?

On the Oz Evo forums, it was also listed in a Motor Mag earlier this year - but all you have to do is a search and you'll find heaps of related articles on the net :)

Remember that's the de-tuned lower spec model - Mitsubishi will be releasing 2 models with the Evo 10.

I suppose they want to do a similar thing as Subaru, to try and get smaller budget people in on the act.........this version will have similar AWD but with only around 175kw !

Full/Top version will have 236kw and 441nm :D

oneightoo
11th April 2007, 11:53 AM
$36k for awd and 175kw..

im buying one..

i dont care if it's a base model, it looks hot, it's got awd, and decent power..

when they de-tuned.. what do they mean? different map? smaller turbo? smaller exhaust?

Wraith
11th April 2007, 12:13 PM
Given a 'speculated' price spread of 36 - 46k I'd bet it'll be more the upper end of that.......I'd be confident in saying it'll be par with whatever price Subaru's new wrx will be...

As for the whole Evo 10 thing - it's changed my religion, I'm no longer looking at any other hot hatch, they just don't interest me anymore, although the Evo 10 will cost more, it will deliver performance/handling that's ummatchable by any of the hot hatches around :)

Wraith
11th April 2007, 01:01 PM
$36k for awd and 175kw..

im buying one..

i dont care if it's a base model, it looks hot, it's got awd, and decent power..

when they de-tuned.. what do they mean? different map? smaller turbo? smaller exhaust?

From what I've seen the lower spec ralliart version looks different to the pics I've posted, it has a less agressive body kit and the pumped out front and rear guards are not the same.....I'll try get some pics for you, otherwise do a search for "Mitsubishi prototype X" and all will be revealed :)

Both new versions of the Evo 10 will use a brand new all alloy 2.0ltr turbo MIVEC engine.

From what I've researched to date, the lower spec will definitely have a smaller turbo and that will most probably be matched to a smaller IC and software to suit, to produce a lesser power engine - still Mitsubishi claim it'll bash a standard new wrx and the top spec will obviously continue to bash the sti's :D

It'll also offer an SMG (not DSG) gearbox option - fantastic !

I first spotted this car in it's original concept form in 2005, but thought nah, it'll change too much by the time it gets tp production - however to my amazement and joy, the pics currrently available show the car to within 95% of production standard......

I reckon it looks better than the concept and if it delivers what Mitsu claim - I'M BUYING !!!!! ;)

oneightoo
11th April 2007, 01:06 PM
i think i'll definatley be buying the lowest spec Evo X.. i dont care if it's not an sti killer.. i dont need that.. i think it looks almost as beautiful as a calibra, but with modern features and reliability - well, more than the cali that is..

its easily better looking than any astra turbo or vxr.. easily..

for $36k, man thats so cheap for what you get.. when i bought my brand new 2003 astra SRI it was $33k roll away.. 2 wheel drive, front wheel drive, non turbo.. SHEESH!

it's a deal, it's a steal, its the sale of the freakin century..

Wraith
11th April 2007, 01:13 PM
You sound as excited as I am about this car, but please note, as I've stated the price will more likely be around the 46k + ORC by the time it gets here.

It should be priced similar to the standard wrx.

Do a search for related articles as I've stated above, you'll find out more about that version, as I've conducted all my research towards the top spec model - that's the one I want :)

And yes I must agree, without being biased at all, for a 4 door sedan I too
think it looks heaps better than any hatch, including the AH Astra models ;)

oneightoo
11th April 2007, 01:21 PM
lol oh im not getting too carried just yet..

i'd still want to see one in the flesh, and of course, what the drive away price will be..

but judging by the photo's, i will be in love once i take one for a spin..

i would be willing to pay up to $40k..

Wraith
11th April 2007, 01:29 PM
Same here and judging by comments from people in the Evo community I've been talking to lately, the best thing to do is indeed wait and see how it all pans out and maybe wait at least 6-12 months after release, incase there's problems to be ironed out - seeing it's an 'all new' model :)

That leaves us more time to save the pennies :D

oneightoo
11th April 2007, 01:30 PM
indeed it does.. might even ghet a cheaper one slightly second hand..

i will need to become a member on the evo forums..

do you know what the web address is?

Wraith
11th April 2007, 01:38 PM
Yep, you'll see me on there, I've recently joined myself :)

A bit premature, but hey, if your serious about a certain type of car, what better way to research and learn about it ;)

If I do end up with one these, I'll be spending at least half my time on there.

It's evolutionoz.net

You have to become a member to access any part of the forum (pretty good idea !!)

oneightoo
11th April 2007, 01:44 PM
nice.. i will see you there!!

i wouldnt buy one without knowing as much about it as i can..

i spent 5 months researching calibra's before i decided to sell my SRi.. best thing i ever did..

Wraith
11th April 2007, 01:55 PM
Good stuff, see you on there in the near future :)

Make sure when you do get in, you go to the new member intros section and say HI :)

BTW I hang out in the Evo X section - obviously lol :)

dug74
11th April 2007, 01:56 PM
I will agree with Wraith, the man has done heaps of research in many forums <OMC> and was always looking for the *ONE*.

The Evo X will be great in both models, the lower base model will be going up against the WRX, VXR, XR5, MPS and Golf GTi.

Man...all those 3 letter abbrevs.

From what i have researched myself online....the lower spec model will have a smaller turbo and IC to the same engine. Specs such as brembos and other susp bits will also be a of a lesser grade...but that doesnt make it bad...just cheaper.

The Evo X top spec will go up against its arch rival STi and basically kill it, i dont care if subaru think they can add an aggresive bodykit to the WRX...it will still look like a camry...with a scoop....<Sportivo>:dance:

Good Luck Wraith...and its a nice buy to wait for.....Mazda just didnt cut it....but im sure...all the car makers will soon pitch for higher ground and try to enter the elite performance car segment..< i know mazda are with the RX8 MPS>

Cheers
DUG74

oneightoo
11th April 2007, 02:11 PM
rx8 mps will be an absolute weapon, sadly the styling doesnt win me over..

dug74
11th April 2007, 02:13 PM
rx8 mps will be an absolute weapon, sadly the styling doesnt win me over..

S/C RENESIS 13B rotary with about 275Kw....i think so.

<Zoom Zoom>

Cheers
DUG74

Wraith
11th April 2007, 02:23 PM
Thanks Dug........yeh, I've been busy researching and deciding.

None of the current crop of hot hatches had what I wanted as a whole package, although I must say, if Mazda did a MPS 3 sedan, I probably would have one by now :)

I really want to step up and over this category, Evo has always had the goods and the price, but lacked the appeal due to 'ordinary' boy racer, ricey looks - that's all changed now with the Mk 10 ;)

I'll stick with the Evo 10 for now, but it's still the better part of 12 months away :(

Oh BTW forgot to mention, you can get turbo kits now for RX8's that'll give you that kind of output in an RX8.

I believe Mazda are also going to release a new RX7 - now that will be a weapon - probably compete with the new Nissan GTR.....

oneightoo
11th April 2007, 02:31 PM
a girl at my work is picking up her rx7 series 8 spirit tomorrow.. one of the last ones ever made in 2002..

Wraith
11th April 2007, 02:41 PM
Nice one........

There's lots of modding potential in one of those if she's interested in doing so :)

dug74
11th April 2007, 02:44 PM
Ok..back on topic about the camry with a bonnet scoop. :D

Yep...still dont like it

Cheers
DUG74

Wraith
11th April 2007, 03:10 PM
LOL :D

Yes, still as unimpressive as ever - aesthetically speaking

oneightoo
11th April 2007, 03:25 PM
mitsu must be laughing seeing those images of the new scooby doo..

they've just decided to release evo's here, not long after, subaru release this.. the guys who decided to bring evo's to our shop floors must be laughing..

for years the only thing seperating, or the deciding factor in buying either an sti or evo was the styling.. now evo wins hands down.. i dare say we will see a lot of evo's on the road now..

Shaun
11th April 2007, 04:07 PM
Evo's and Rallyart Lancers. Rallyart is ment to be on par with the WRX for preformance.

CORZZA
11th April 2007, 05:41 PM
You and just about everybody else who's seen it.......

Check these pics out from the Oz Evo forum....
Chop job with a different front - similar to Evo 9
http://i11.tinypic.com/472l9qp.jpg

And this pocket rocket 2 door, Evo 9 running gear with engine tuned to 300kw :eek:
http://i14.tinypic.com/2uihyfm.jpg

Now thats a car!