PDA

View Full Version : Some reflections on the Barina SB/Corsa B

Kippa-Dee
7th April 2007, 07:46 PM
It's a chick's car, at least, that's what it's marketed as. Yet, here comes Dodge - "at 7.6l/100km, it's anything but cute", So fuel's hit $1.30 a litre? I'm still getting 600km out of a 46 litre tank, more money to relax and enjoy my woman's; so I'll take that over a seemingly 'manly' Commodore that just drinks, and drinks, and drinks, and drinks.

Connotations? Well, the SRi and GSi seem to have some good performance to them, so it's not like the Corsa is all slow. Even the little 1200cc's have good pick up and go, and I know I'm usually the first at 80km/h at 9/10 lights. Besides which, there's no '****ing falcadore drivers' associated with them, nor is there any 'damn Volvo/BMW/Merc drivers' or 'camry grannies'.

Handling - Fun, complete and utter challenge to lose traction, and if you do, it comes back so quickly it's not funny.

Reliability - I've had such fantastic reliability, starting on the second turn of the starter motor almost every time. Never needed anything more than the scheduled servicing, which is cheap in any case.

And my favorite, favorite, favorite. It retails for $13k, sure, but have you ever felt one? It's nearest competitor, the Hyundai Excel, is utter shit. This moment made me smile completely... I had a chance to sit in an Excel, and shut the door on my way out. This thing sounded like a damn tin-can. It FELT cheap and nasty. The car's had so much unreliability and problems, it made me laugh. And it costs more.

Safety - With dual-airbags, and stopping distances and handling under skids better than new commos, Mazda 2's, or anything else (This has been tested, believe me, I saw it with my own eyes), you know you'll get out of almost any trouble you need to.

So to those browsing our friendly forums, and to the owners of the 'B. Smile, you've got a great, reliable, and very happy car underneath you. Let no-one tell you different.

Enjoy the read!

xplosv57
7th April 2007, 08:05 PM
Dunno about the Excel comments, ive got 2 at home, one which is my sisters which has been treated like crap, not well serviced and has had more hits than elvis, but after 110,000km still runs fine, no issues!!!

My mums one is well maintained and less ks, still drives like new!!!

However i look at my Astra and has had alot more issues and is newer and better maintained than both Excels!!!!

Calibrated
7th April 2007, 09:58 PM
my B was a beauty, i miss it...

PaulyJ
9th April 2007, 10:42 PM
At present time, I want to shoot mine.
Apart from the:

- Clutch
- Leads
- Throttle Position Sensor
- Thermostat or Radiator (prob yet to be determined)

all fcuking up on me in the last month.... yeah its alright...

auzvectra
10th April 2007, 03:44 PM
i'm sure you drive it a lil different pauly ;).
my gf's has been very good too, apart from a dodgy previous owner with a dead radiator, and taking the thermostat out so it didnt get hot and create pressure to make the radiator leak, and the rear wheel bearings and the suspension needing replacing, basically just normal wear and tear.
it has been very reliable, and is very cheap on fuel too.

Tfer
9th May 2007, 10:50 PM
i'm sure you drive it a lil different pauly ;).
my gf's has been very good too, apart from a dodgy previous owner with a dead radiator, and taking the thermostat out so it didnt get hot and create pressure to make the radiator leak, and the rear wheel bearings and the suspension needing replacing, basically just normal wear and tear.
it has been very reliable, and is very cheap on fuel too.

So Matt.... what do you think of your new one? ;)

PaulyJ
10th May 2007, 12:29 AM
After an awesome weekend throwing it around a skidpan and track, all I can say is that I love my Corsa B.
With the mods I currently have, I was able to beat a 350Z and VW Golf GTi in the slaloms, and it handled brilliantly on the track.
Now i want to get it track ready. Strut brace, Koni shocks, more kw...

auzvectra
10th May 2007, 06:08 PM
well it's pretty rough at the moment, but i picked it uyp cheap, so thats alright.
for those that dont know, i scored a 95 gsi for a run around ;).

it got a polish on sunday, so it looks a lil beta now, although it did really need a cut 1st.

it's done heaps ok km's has heaps of fault codes comming up on the paperclip test, blows some blue smoke on start up, blows heaps of black smoke when ur really up it, but managed to beat the mx5 :).

had a suspension test done, the camber bolts were LOOSE!!!!!!, holy shit!!
got that fixed and re-alligned (had 50mm toe in).
now it drives ok, but i'm in the process of changing the fuel filter as it's playing up, and the symptoms lead to fuel filter, will give it a service at the same time, new oil filter, and some slightly heavier then reccomended oil to help the tired motor :).

if you look past all that, it's a great car, and i'm enjoying driving so much, that i'm wondering if it is just that good, or i've been out of the astra for too long :D.
it certrainly looks the goods, when i've got it up near the garage to work on it, and i walk past the door n see it sitting there with it's agressive stance, it puts a gleam in my eye ;).
enough rambling but :D

Tfer
11th May 2007, 08:59 AM
well it's pretty rough at the moment, but i picked it uyp cheap, so thats alright.
for those that dont know, i scored a 95 gsi for a run around ;).

it got a polish on sunday, so it looks a lil beta now, although it did really need a cut 1st.

it's done heaps ok km's has heaps of fault codes comming up on the paperclip test, blows some blue smoke on start up, blows heaps of black smoke when ur really up it, but managed to beat the mx5 :).

had a suspension test done, the camber bolts were LOOSE!!!!!!, holy shit!!
got that fixed and re-alligned (had 50mm toe in).
now it drives ok, but i'm in the process of changing the fuel filter as it's playing up, and the symptoms lead to fuel filter, will give it a service at the same time, new oil filter, and some slightly heavier then reccomended oil to help the tired motor :).

if you look past all that, it's a great car, and i'm enjoying driving so much, that i'm wondering if it is just that good, or i've been out of the astra for too long :D.
it certrainly looks the goods, when i've got it up near the garage to work on it, and i walk past the door n see it sitting there with it's agressive stance, it puts a gleam in my eye ;).
enough rambling but :D

I knew I had to ask the question of you Matt.... good response. I look forward to see the progress of this one (as well as the Astra G SRi-T), and remember, its not always the power that can do it for you, and I would guess perhaps the nimbleness of the Corsa SB GSi has rekindled some lost memories for you :D

Calibrated
11th May 2007, 11:50 AM
I absolutely loved my B. had it on Drags, had it on Track, competed in sound-offs, turned heads everywhere. i really do miss it, and everytime i see a corsa b here, i want to cry. very few people mod them, and they can look damn awesome..

here's some pics of my old baby.

Speed & Sound Magazine
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b200/loudclearcorsa/DSCN0990.jpg

Urban RacR Magazine
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b200/loudclearcorsa/Picture019.jpg

z00pedup Dyno Day
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b200/loudclearcorsa/Pic022.jpg

Sound Install
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b200/loudclearcorsa/Pic027.jpg

auzvectra
11th May 2007, 01:04 PM
yeah so very true tfer.
the car seems to remind me of my old n13 pulsar (my 1st true love ;)) a lil, about the same power, maybe just a lil slower ;).
same colour too, and just as loud :).

the astra is still waiting on parts :(, damn rods are taking forever to get here.

just fixed the fuel problem in the gsi, and gave it a service.
also fixed the oil leak from the tappet cover, next is let it cure, go for a drive, n then later clean the motor down, i'm sure it will loose a few kg's from that ;).

95' GSI
3rd June 2007, 08:55 PM
My '95 GSI's front wheel bearings on the left are shot along with the hub.
My mechanic said my wheel is probably going to fall off.
Anyone have any ideas as to how much it cost to fix?
Or anyone who could do it in Adelaide?
It'll probably cost a lot since it's front wheel drive, right?

Any help would be appreciated.

auzvectra
3rd June 2007, 09:11 PM
shouldnt be that expensive, i did the wheel bearins on a laser years back, cost about 65 for the bearing from memory, and that was an expensive 1.
i'm sure the hub is alright, unless it's bent. most likely just needs the new wheel bearings, which shouldnt cost all that much.

95' GSI
3rd June 2007, 09:16 PM
I was quoted like $400 for a new hub and I think $100-$150 for new bearings :eek:
Which is a lot for a 16 year old to pay for :|

auzvectra
3rd June 2007, 10:14 PM
is that fitted or supply only, and for each bearing?
if i remember i'll get a price on suply tomorrow for you, so you know what is realistic ;).

bornwild
3rd June 2007, 11:43 PM
Chicks car...live with it :D

PaulyJ
5th June 2007, 12:15 AM
Depends on how its driven and whats been done... ;)