PDA

View Full Version : Best Opel for long-distance commuting

NXA-16H
6th April 2007, 11:54 PM
Ok ladies and Gentlemen

This question may or may not seem like a rather silly one, since I assume many of us here either don't actually need to travel long distances to and from work, or may find it more economical to use public transport.

Moreover, there appears to be a relatively common belief amongst motoring enthusiasts that Opel or Vauxhall engineered vehicles, much like the old
Holden-Isuzu-badged Geminis of the 70's and 80's, aren't designed to handle the high mileages that are so synonymous with Australia.

As a consequence, many people recommend the purchase of a larger family-sized vehicle with the obligatory Straight-6, or V8, such as an AU-Falcon, or VT-Commodore if a NEW car isn't an option.

Yet in an era of ever increasing petrol and diesel prices, many of us have no alternative but to use a small car to commute when public transport is either not available, or too inefficient to use practically.

So, my question is this.

Which Holden-badged Opel or Vauxhall would you recommend for LONG-DISTANCE COMMUTING?

Options are as follows:
SB-Barina
XC-Barina
TS-Astra
Astra-H
Vectra
Zafira

(For the purposes of this poll, "LONG DISTANCE COMMUTING" has to be a minimum of 50'000kms/year.)

I'd like your opinions on this matter.

Thank you.
NXA-16H

Alfonzo
6th April 2007, 11:58 PM
Personally I'd chose the Vectra. My B was always really comfortable for long trips, consequently it was the family's choice if we were ever going away. And quite liked scooting along at 100kph too :)

EL BURITO
7th April 2007, 03:17 AM
Well I am doing about 500km a week in my Barina and after I ajusted the seat to a more ergonomic position i find it to be comfatable to run to work and back every day. as well as this in the cars early life i did a run to Karratha and back. this hopfuly wont be going on too much longer but the car dosnt complain about it. way to work is freeway (100km) and the way home is main roads (60-80km) she handles it alright. i would prefer a little more power but that wasnt a option at purchase. I would look at the 1.8 Astra but belivie i would have the same issue. as for fuel economy am getting 7L=100km

low astra
7th April 2007, 08:02 AM
look at the geomoterys of the car,

longer wheels base = more stable on highways,

short wheel base = easy to park, better at getting through traffic

V6 smother power deliverary,

4cyl, (well in my astra almost 3500rpm at 110km/h)

thats almost half the cars rev range, where as some of the V6's around are doing under 2000rpm @ 110, so there just above idle and not really using much fuel at all, infact they probably use less on the highway than some of our 4cyl's will, and once we load up our 4"s turn on the aircon and get comfey, we are using quite a bit of fuel really,

i drove my sb barina to mackay (1000kms), and my ts astra, and my vs comodore, and i hate to say it but by the time i got there in the barina and the astra i felt like crap, the little cars get bounced around all over the highway, where as the big old comodore just rolls along like the boat that it is

if i had to choose it would be a V6 vectra, without a sports exhaust or any suspension mods however

platypus
7th April 2007, 09:25 AM
i'd get a toyota if its distance, or a subaru if it were distance without traffic - then again the ford falcon would be good too - reason for these 3? - the service schedules and relative reliability!!!

hmm didn't help your question, but i'd go the vectra - the zafira i would think would work like a giant sail and can be rather strenuous to maintain a straight line in high wind

also agree with the comments by low astra on the smaller cars

pred8r
7th April 2007, 09:32 AM
Couple of questions -

50,000 is quite a few kms, is it mostly for work?
Who pocket is fuel/repayments coming from?
Do you have a family requirement for a Zafira?
Do you NEED performance or just LIKE it?

depending on whos paying?
(you) I would choose the cheapest to run (economy/repayments) - Barina
(work) The better ride and comfort considering you are not paying - Vectra

Performance MEH! they will all do 100km/h. At the end of the day, the fuel savings outweigh the saving of 4 seconds.

Im not voting yet but it would be either a Barina or Vectra. Sorry, but with a choice like this the Astra is a ˝step (costs more than a 'Rina to run, slightly less performance, and not as nice as a Veccy).

EDIT: Completely forgotten until mentioned below - Astra diesel would be a definate consideration that unless i was footing the bill, the choice would be Astra or Veccy.

VECTRA DIESEL ALL THE WAY - Oh wait.....oh......sorry......didnt get them did we?

Calibrated
7th April 2007, 09:42 AM
Definitely the Veccy, without a second of extra thought.

*no calibra in poll...jk.

xplosv57
7th April 2007, 09:48 AM
Well this is quite easy if youre doing long distances and need a bit of power, the Astra Diesel is perfect, it may not have leather etc, but still is a comfortable car and gets ridiculously good fuel consumption figures as well as having a bit of get up and go!!!

Vectracious
7th April 2007, 09:50 AM
Vectra - my old 2.2 B was a much nicer long distance cruiser than our Astra.

stevedee3
7th April 2007, 03:16 PM
Either a V6 Vectra C or Astra Diesel, IMHO.

blueraven
7th April 2007, 03:17 PM
vectra c, cdxi no question. would take it over some audi's and beemers.

(if the was a calibra, the v6 cally would be my second choice, most aerodynamic car ever put into production :) awesome on the freeway)

imay
7th April 2007, 04:42 PM
I have both a TS 5 door and TS Convertible, but if I had to do the sort of daily/yearly motoring you are talking about, the bigger, more powerful and comfortable car in the Vectra would be my choice everytime (as long as it was reliable!).

oneightoo
7th April 2007, 05:40 PM
id go a V6 vectra..

depends tho on the type of long distance driving.. all freeway? some freeway some city?

maloo97
7th April 2007, 05:51 PM
how bout the calibra! :p

oneightoo
7th April 2007, 06:03 PM
the calibra is a very good car for cruising long distance.. very low revs in 5th at 110, and still torqy..

but having driven my dads v6 vectra quite a lot.. i think thats a lot more comfortable.. hehe you just have to sacrfice style hehe :p

Calibrated
7th April 2007, 06:21 PM
Calibra is way more comfortable than my Corsa B long road, and slightly better than my Astra F..

but of course the veccy c has to take the win..

shoey85
7th April 2007, 06:23 PM
as i dont yet own my diesel astra i still say vectra, you can overtake road trains in a hurry if you want to, very comfy to just sit in, has all kinds of comfort opps and is a very good handling car, price wise u wont pick up a beemer or audi with same feats and age for as little.

Vectra, Vectra, Vectra, Oi, Oi, Oi

Alix
7th April 2007, 08:54 PM
It's a bit hard to say, seeing's as I've only driven he Astra (G and H) and Barina (although that was a while ago now).

Of those three, the Astra diesel I'm currently driving would be my pick. I've taken it on a few long trips, and its very comfortable, plenty powerful, and I get 5.5L/100km on the highway.

In stop-start city type commuting, I'd want something a bit softer. If I had to carry four full-size people for 50K km per year, I'd get soemthing with a bigger back seat (although its fine for kids).

digifish
8th April 2007, 08:53 AM
the Astra diesel I'm currently driving would be my pick. I've taken it on a few long trips, and its very comfortable, plenty powerful, and I get 5.5L/100km on the highway.

In stop-start city type commuting, I'd want something a bit softer. If I had to carry four full-size people for 50K km per year, I'd get soemthing with a bigger back seat (although its fine for kids).

Agreed, the CDTi really shines on the open road, and is fiddly and a littke sharp in stop-start city traffic.

FWIW, there is more room (including head) in the AH Astra, than in the back of the current Vectra. I know, my friend has one and we take turns driving a group to lunch on Fridays. My head touches the roof in that, and I have 4-5 cm to spare in the back of my Astra.

digifish

Wraith
8th April 2007, 11:47 AM
For me, it would all depend on which factor is more important, comfort or economy/running costs..

Of all those cars in the list, I'd choose the Vecce for comfort and the Astra diesel for economy/running costs.

Like I've said before, oilers arn't my cup of tea, but for a daily driver with frugality the main concern, I'd consider one.

xplosv57
8th April 2007, 12:08 PM
Having driven both my Astra G CD and an Astra H CDX on long distance trips (Melbourne to Adelaide and back) i didn't have any issues with comfort, both were very easy to drive in, and fuel consumption for both were around 6.5-7l/100km the whole trip!!!

But if you are doing long distance driving and want a bit of power and comfort, how about an Astra Turbo, you get leather, heated seats etc, you get a turbo in case you need it, and with the 6spd manual, itd use hardly any fuel on the open highway!!

If this was a general choice of car for long distance trips though, i wouldn't go past a 6 spd LS1/LS2 Commodore, super comfortable, lots of power and in 6th at 100, it hardly revs over 1000rpm, meaning awesome fuel figures!!!

CORZZA
8th April 2007, 03:05 PM
i would definatly have to say the Turbo diesel!

They are great cruising cars and you get so many kms to a tank of diesel!

Wraith
8th April 2007, 03:20 PM
If this was a general choice of car for long distance trips though, i wouldn't go past a 6 spd LS1/LS2 Commodore, super comfortable, lots of power and in 6th at 100, it hardly revs over 1000rpm, meaning awesome fuel figures!!!

LOL, I didn't want to go off topic and mention different types, so I stuck to the list in this thread, with my post response above...

BUT the truth is I totally agree with your choice there, I too would prefer an LS1/LS2 Commo. for long distance driving.

Having owned a HSV R8, it is without doubt superior to any on the list for the mentioned use here.

Far more comfy, roomy and IMO it's also a safer car and yes Hwy cruising sees economy figures rivalling most 4 potters as well as having serious power when and if you need it ;)

CJB
8th April 2007, 03:39 PM
I get about 600kms to my tank, costs me about $60 a week to fill on Premium Unleaded averaging $1.25 per litre.

It's comfortable, not too small (the Astra CDX) and has seat warmers which in the mornings are my best friend! :p

I travel about 47kms to work one way, so Im averaging about 100kms per day!

Not for much longer thank god, but I think the Astra does it well, set cruise control and doesnt chew the fuel at all! :)

CORZZA
8th April 2007, 07:55 PM
i guess its up to the individual

Tfer
8th April 2007, 09:35 PM
I get about 600kms to my tank, costs me about $60 a week to fill on Premium Unleaded averaging $1.25 per litre.

It's comfortable, not too small (the Astra CDX) and has seat warmers which in the mornings are my best friend! :p

I travel about 47kms to work one way, so Im averaging about 100kms per day!

Not for much longer thank god, but I think the Astra does it well, set cruise control and doesnt chew the fuel at all! :)

Go the Veccy C CDXi 3.2l V6 manual...... 750km per 60 litre tank of premium unleaded highway running..... and way more comfortable.............. great long legs, and very relaxed :D

NXA-16H
8th April 2007, 11:44 PM
Couple of questions -

50,000 is quite a few kms, is it mostly for work?
Who pocket is fuel/repayments coming from?
Do you have a family requirement for a Zafira?
Do you NEED performance or just LIKE it?

depending on whos paying?
(you) I would choose the cheapest to run (economy/repayments) - Barina
(work) The better ride and comfort considering you are not paying - Vectra

Performance MEH! they will all do 100km/h. At the end of the day, the fuel savings outweigh the saving of 4 seconds.

Im not voting yet but it would be either a Barina or Vectra. Sorry, but with a choice like this the Astra is a ˝step (costs more than a 'Rina to run, slightly less performance, and not as nice as a Veccy).

EDIT: Completely forgotten until mentioned below - Astra diesel would be a definate consideration that unless i was footing the bill, the choice would be Astra or Veccy.

VECTRA DIESEL ALL THE WAY - Oh wait.....oh......sorry......didnt get them did we?

Thanks for all of your opinions so far. Much appreciated to all.

The whole reason for this inquiry in the first place was not only merely inquisitive curiosity (since I already bought the Zafira in January, and must therefore wait some while at least before trading up again), but also for intellectual conversation and reflection on the merits - and shortcomings - of our current opel/Vauxhall lineup.

Now, in respect to my own individual situation, the following points must be brought to light.

1. Yes, 50'000kms/year IS quite alot to consider, yet 75%+ of that distance is for work.
2. Fuel payments are from a duel-signatory account, and therefore the cost of running the car is shared.
3. Requirement for the Zafira is primarily based on family requirements. ie carrying two baby capsules AND a twin stroller in the Barina was not a long-term option.
4. Economy had priority over power and performance, yet wheeziness was also generally avoided.. Hence the 2.2L Zafira-TT.

Now, if Family Requirements weren't an issue, I would definitely have kept the Barina. Alot of money was devoted to its upkeep, but it ran extremely well, and was in excellent condition for its usage and mileage.

And at between 6.5-8L/100kms, very few vehicles on the road could beat it for economy. Not even now I dare say.

Yet for long-distance commuting, I quite appreciate the Zafira for not only its comfort levels but also its excellent forward field of vision. Particularly at night.

The biggest concern I have at the moment with the Zafira is the spectre of recurring mechanical issues with (but not exclusively) the engines' Timing Chain Assembly, which I believe afflicts the Vectra-B as well.

The cost of filling the tank on a daily basis is not quite as good as the Barina, at between $18-$20/day. That equates to approximately 6.88L/100kms.

Maintanance costs at the moment however are not a significant issue.

My attitude is this:
I paid $17'000 for the Car, so I expect its performance and reliability to reflect that price.
Yet to maintain that performance and reliability, nowhere else but my local GM-Workshop do I source essential GM-coded parts for servicing etc. Even if those parts come at a premium.

If I actually went ahead with my plans to bring a Zafira out from the UK, then a Diesel-Injected Model would certainly have been on the cards.

Rather a pity, isn't it, that Australia never had an option there.

Keep your thoughts rolling in folks. I quite enjoy reading your input.

Ta.
NXA-16H

rjastra
10th April 2007, 11:03 AM
Keep servicing and maintenance in mind as well. Better to get a car with 15K Km service intervals than those requiring servicing every 10K Km.

I think the NRMA does some costing on vehicle running costs per km.

So, you need to consider the specified consumption of the vehicle. Whether it requires PULP or regular ULP (this will add up over large distances). Type of tyres required (high speed range??, expensive to replace?? etc). Reliable over long distances. Resale value.

Therefore you really want a vehicle with large service intervals and cheap servicing costs, cheap easy to source tyres, runs on regular ulp, etc etc

Best bet is probably a used VZ commowhore V6 or an eGas Falcoon. Big, comfortable and can be easily serviced at a local garage.
Otherwise maybe even a Mitsubishi Magna/380 or Toyota Avalon. Can be picked up dirt cheap at auctions. Convert them to Gas for even cheaper running costs.

At 50k km a year you will essentially be running a car into the ground before you replace it.

Dee
10th April 2007, 11:13 AM
out of those options i'd pick the Veccy C CDXi due to the luxury of it and the fact there are 2 in the driveway :D

but if i didnt have to choose out of that lot i'd go the Toyota Corolla Sportivo -
i did over 53,000km in 18 months and found it very comfortable
leather interior, 6 cd stacker (mp3), climate control, 6sp manual, LIFT and pretty well priced, cheap to run and damned reliable too.

CORZZA
10th April 2007, 08:12 PM
corsa CDTI!

Ginge
10th April 2007, 08:13 PM
well having had an astra g for some time. it is very comfortable to commute in. till i got the exhaust anyway.

but by far superior is my vectra c. like a dream on the highway. and i have clocked a few k's travelling to work since i got it back in november.

in my experience. i'd go the bigger car if ur commuting is on highways, but astra or barina for city commuting.

Tfer
10th April 2007, 08:18 PM
well having had an astra g for some time. it is very comfortable to commute in. till i got the exhaust anyway.

but by far superior is my vectra c. like a dream on the highway. and i have clocked a few k's travelling to work since i got it back in november.

in my experience. i'd go the bigger car if ur commuting is on highways, but astra or barina for city commuting.

Agreed Matt.... had the previous Veccy B 2.6l hatch, and whilst I thought that was a pretty relaxed ride on the highways, it was nervous compared to the Veccy C CDXi.............. and having done some pretty big trips in the Veccy, I can guarantee you will step out of the leather comfort feeling really quite fresh :cool:

And yes, the Veccy's service intervals are 15,000km :)

And having driven most commodores up to the current, they seem (to me anyway) nervous compared to the Veccy :D

cwmorph
10th August 2007, 07:37 PM
My 3.2 2004 CDXI Vectra was a dream to drive from Brisbane to Cairns in August 2006. Averaged 8.1l/100k @av 81kph - 1600k trip. The contoured leather seats (which have incidentally won an international award in 2004) ensured that concentration was no problem. Acceleration when passing was stunning for a mid-sized car. Have done quite a few long distance trips since and just recently took visitors all around the Far North (Cairns, Tablelands, Port Douglas & Innisfail) and the lady passenger who owns a Honda Accord Euro said that my car was far more comfortable than her Honda. On that trip (1300klms) I got an incredible 7.8l/100k. If Holden had priced this car right from the start then more people would have appreciated it's engineering as well as remarkable pace/economy achievements. Will keep this car for years. It is so well built - perhaps that's why it was pricey.

Tfer
10th August 2007, 07:45 PM
My 3.2 2004 CDXI Vectra was a dream to drive from Brisbane to Cairns in August 2006. Averaged 8.1l/100k @av 81kph - 1600k trip. The contoured leather seats (which have incidentally won an international award in 2004) ensured that concentration was no problem. Acceleration when passing was stunning for a mid-sized car. Have done quite a few long distance trips since and just recently took visitors all around the Far North (Cairns, Tablelands, Port Douglas & Innisfail) and the lady passenger who owns a Honda Accord Euro said that my car was far more comfortable than her Honda. On that trip (1300klms) I got an incredible 7.8l/100k. If Holden had priced this car right from the start then more people would have appreciated it's engineering as well as remarkable pace/economy achievements. Will keep this car for years. It is so well built - perhaps that's why it was pricey.

Could not have put it better myself :cool:

bornwild
11th August 2007, 06:13 PM
Definitely agree with all the comments supporting the Vectra CDXi 3.2 V6. Better than a commodore, too.

Tfer
13th August 2007, 05:55 PM
Definitely agree with all the comments supporting the Vectra CDXi 3.2 V6. Better than a commodore, too.

But of course it is ;)

dieselhead
13th August 2007, 09:26 PM
No, it's not better according. According to this survey, Vectra got a score of 51, the Commodore 53, while Astra got 65:

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=39115&pg=6&vf=0

Tfer
13th August 2007, 09:55 PM
No, it's not better according. According to this survey, Vectra got a score of 51, the Commodore 53, while Astra got 65:

Meh.... and you believe the media? :rolleyes:

cwmorph
13th August 2007, 10:13 PM

I acknowledge the survey but from what I gather the blokes who have an auto Vectra may have had a lot of problems. This may in part explain the 51. Apart from a faulty cruise control switch that needed to be replaced, my manual has provided very smooth, reliable and surprising economical transport.
By the way, is your Astra a manual or an auto? Apparently the manual is a completely different car to the auto. How do you find it?

dieselhead
13th August 2007, 10:38 PM
Meh.... and you believe the media?

No, I believe in statistics... I also believe in resale value. High customer satisfaction translate into high resale values, more often than not.

Yeah, mine is manual, I'm not a fan of auto cars, probably because I'm a control freak :) While not perfect, it's a sensational car for the price, pretty cheap to own and even cheaper to run. It is costing me about $175/week, including lease (novated), fuel ($8.58/100 km @ $1.30/litre), maintenance, rego ($550 pa), insurance ($565 pa)... So much fun to drive, too!

Would be cheaper to commute in a Vectra? I sincerely doubt it. I also think that cost does matter when you do a lot of kilometers a year, otherwise we wouldn't be asked here to chose between these popular Opel versions. If it doesn't, buy a Mercedes R-Klasse and commute hapily ever after.

Tfer
14th August 2007, 03:29 PM
I also think that cost does matter when you do a lot of kilometers a year, otherwise we wouldn't be asked here to chose between these popular Opel versions. If it doesn't, buy a Mercedes R-Klasse and commute hapily ever after.

Cost is a factor, maybe for you.... but for me.... prior to moth balling the Veccy C for a year whilst driving an auto AH Astra for my ex employer, I was averaging 75,000 km pa (actually racked up 95,000km in 11 months in the Astra), and what I can tell you, I didn't think twice paying what I did for the Veccy C... as compared to something cheaper... the Veccy C is a very tax effective reducing asset, for my particular situation, with my commerical HP worked out with an accurate residual (ie. when the Veccy C finally goes, the trade in will cancel the residual). :dance:

Further... the AH Astra seats are no where near as good as the Veccy C CDXi seats for long distance hauling (and spending 95,000km in 11 months on one.... I am not keen to do that again). The cabin of a Veccy C CDXi for me is basically second to none, in its repective price range ;) And that's why I would never compare an AH Astra diesel with a Veccy C CDXi.... two completely different price ranges, and two different beasts......

Maybe the Astra Diesel is a good long distance commuter... haven't bothered to find out, and would only do so if it was the new generation turbo diesel and came as a twin top... and not before. :D

My 2 cents........

dieselhead
14th August 2007, 03:47 PM
Hmmm, twintoooop, that must be the ultimate all season commuter :)

Tfer
14th August 2007, 03:49 PM
Hmmm, twintoooop, that must be the ultimate all season commuter :)

Well that's the way I would look at it..... the turbo diesel for the effortless running, and the upspec interior (mmm..... leather) and well, yeah, the roof (or roofless) ;)

Anyway.... I can keep hoping......