PDA

View Full Version : Red Astras.Where are they

carby650
5th April 2007, 07:00 PM
Currently in the process of buying a new Astra. Still messing around with either a SRI Hatch or Diesel T Hatch (manual).
One issue we are having is that we are finding the colour to be a bit lacking. Albeit the Red is sensational.
But we just can't find any Red Astras. :mad:
I have been told if I want a red Astra I will need to order direct from the factory with a wait of approx 3 months.
From what I understadn not one dealer in WA has any Red Astras. does anyone know of any existing in the East?

cheers
Carby650

EL BURITO
5th April 2007, 07:12 PM
on the road i have seen 2. they had a Red hatch at North City But it was a CD. might be worth the wait thou if they are only bringing limited numbers it may retain its value a bit better

SIMid
5th April 2007, 07:30 PM
Here's one, but it's not for sale. :D

http://i9.tinypic.com/47whslv.jpg

carby650
5th April 2007, 08:06 PM
Here's one, but it's not for sale. :D

oh bugger
are they hard to get over your side of the country?

Red AH SRI T
5th April 2007, 08:23 PM
I know our dealership has plenty of CD's in Red, and a couple of SRi T's. We have only a few CDX's and no red CDTi's. No SRi 2.2's currently in stock but plenty coming.

There is currently a supply issue with SRi 2.2's

carby650
5th April 2007, 08:34 PM
I know our dealership has plenty of CD's in Red, and a couple of SRi T's. We have only a few CDX's and no red CDTi's. No SRi 2.2's currently in stock but plenty coming.

There is currently a supply issue with SRi 2.2's

cheers for that.
Is there any way of finding out about what is coming in and where it is going.
I've got to the point where I'm not fussed over the Diesel or the STI as they both have features we want and both lack features the other one has . (hope that makes sence?)
If I know that there will be say 10 Red STI's due in next month then I'd be happy to place anorder hrough a dealer knowing this. What I dont want is to have to wait 3 months
cheers
Carby650

imay
5th April 2007, 09:56 PM
What I dont want is to have to wait 3 months

Tell that to the dealer. If he knows you are a genuine buyer he should be willing to spend a few minutes on the GMH stock computer to see if he can't track one down from another dealer in another state, surely! That's what they did for me when I ordered my convertible. Story went from "there's no Star Silver available at this time" (because they had a black one in their stock) to a very different tune of "we can get one from NSW, will be here in less than 2 weeks." Most GMH dealers will share stock to make a sale.

And on that point . . . why not seriously consider a Star Silver SRiT. Very noice, mate!

Poogene2001
6th April 2007, 10:15 PM
Theres atleast 4 Red Astras at Summit Holden in Elsternwick.
Not sure if any of them are CDTi's though.

jsantos
6th April 2007, 11:29 PM
Theres one out the front of my house :), When i bought it i was told there were only 7 red sri-T's in the country at the time, not sure if it was a get me to buy ploy or the truth its just what i was told.

I have scince noticed another Red SRI-T sitting on the lot of the dealer i bought my car from (Barry Smith Pennant Hills NSW)

I have a feeling they wouldn't be to inclined to transport it to W.A though.

kabel
7th April 2007, 10:55 AM
Carby650
Phoenix Holden in Wangarra have landed a red SriT
I saw it on Friday

carby650
7th April 2007, 11:08 AM
Carby650
Phoenix Holden in Wangarra have landed a red SriT
I saw it on Friday

cheers for that. I saw it there Thursday and feel in love. It had just been offloaded and was still filthy too.
When the wife got home I dragged her straight down there to show her. I would've bought it on the spot but she vetoed me. She wants a hatch not coupe due to the kids.
Tried convincing her and almost did except for the small detail of the seats not having a memory position. She hate having her seat moved an every time you have to let somebody out of the back set you need to reposition your seat. Minor detail I know but shes the boss.
I loved it....

kabel
7th April 2007, 11:19 AM
The seats do have a memory position-passenger anyway
slide the seat back to its original position before tilting the top portion of the seat.
Drivers seat is different,which is done for safety reasons apparently
I have a 3 door-it has not been a problem for my nieces and nephew getting out on the occasions they have been in the car.
Biggest problem with the three door is the length of the doors and the side seat bolsters on the VXR make it a bit of a pain in tight parking spaces to get in and out of the drivers seat,just have to be careful!

carby650
7th April 2007, 11:32 AM
The seats do have a memory position-passenger anyway
slide the seat back to its original position before tilting the top portion of the seat.
Drivers seat is different,which is done for safety reasons apparently
I have a 3 door-it has not been a problem for my nieces and nephew getting out on the occasions they have been in the car.
Biggest problem with the three door is the length of the doors and the side seat bolsters on the VXR make it a bit of a pain in tight parking spaces to get in and out of the drivers seat,just have to be careful!

cheers for that.. will have to keep working on her.

kabel
7th April 2007, 11:47 AM
City Motors had a red VXR in stock as do Brian Gardner
They have been discounted a bit since I bought mine may be worth
checking them out also

carby650
7th April 2007, 12:07 PM
City Motors had a red VXR in stock as do Brian Gardner
They have been discounted a bit since I bought mine may be worth
checking them out also

oh stop teasing me !! :D
There is no way in hell that she will allow me to buy a VXR.

kabel
7th April 2007, 02:48 PM
Let her take one for a drive.........
My girl said yes instantly upon seeing it-the sweetener was giving her my
03 Sri 2.2 though!

carby650
7th April 2007, 03:08 PM
Let her take one for a drive.........
My girl said yes instantly upon seeing it-the sweetener was giving her my
03 Sri 2.2 though!

Nope its all good guys. Decision has been made. SRI Hatch it is.
Wifey took both SRI and diesel hatch for a test drive one after the other and the power difference was not enough to swing us towards the diesel. Whilst the diesel is better on fuel the fact that it does not have climate control , leather , sports body kit and 17's we have gone the SRI.
Now to find a red one......
Let the hunt begin.

Wraith
8th April 2007, 07:47 PM
Wifey took both SRI and diesel hatch for a test drive one after the other and the power difference was not enough to swing us towards the diesel. Whilst the diesel is better on fuel the fact that it does not have climate control , leather , sports body kit and 17's we have gone the SRI.

Oh no, please don't let the local diesel bridgade read this, they'll put out a bounty on your head...... (joke) LOL :D

Seriously hope all goes well, the red is a magnificent colour for any of the AH range, alot of us are spewing Holden didn't bring out that colour with the TS range (except a limited run of verts ie) :)

As Ian (IMAY) mentioned star silver is a good second choice, but hey if reds your thing, definitely wait for one, don't get impatient and settle for another colour, just because it's gonna take a while - too many people here have done exactly that, IMHO that's so pointless, if your paying the money for a car your gonna have for some time - stick to everything you have ticked on your check list, in the end you'll be happier with no regrets :)

carby650
8th April 2007, 08:04 PM
Oh no, please don't let the local diesel bridgade read this, they'll put out a bounty on your head...... (joke) LOL :D

Seriously hope all goes well, the red is a magnificent colour for any of the AH range, alot of us are spewing Holden didn't bring out that colour with the TS range (except a limited run of verts ie) :)

:)

cheers for that. yep going to start the search on Monday. Have now spoken to a couple of dealers about trade in ect. I will be neg with the one who gave me the highest trade in off the cuff without trying to play "ducks and drakes" with me. I've had 3 quotes so far and a price diff with trade in of up to $4k. Some dealers just don't get it. They might catch a fish every so often but I take things on face value. You give me a good trade off the cuff and I'll talk. If I feel like I'm being screwed then you will not see me again for dust.
cheers all.
Will keep you up to date with my progress.

carby650
14th April 2007, 03:22 PM
Well good peoples the search has finished andI have purchased my first ever Astra. :D
But..... It's not red. :(
Couldn't get a red SRI Hatch till end of July and I just could not wait that long. There were some Red SRI Coupes around but couldn't convince wifey to buy a 2 door.
But anyhow I am pleased with our purchase. We got a Moonland SRI. It is not a bad colour at all. Bit like the old Gun Metal Grey colour.
Pick up the car late next week.
It's going to be hard going from a V8 to a 4cyl so I might have to talk to people about some mods. The 2.2l only has 110kw so I think I might have to try for some more power.
cheers
Carby650

digifish
14th April 2007, 03:26 PM
It's going to be hard going from a V8 to a 4cyl so I might have to talk to people about some mods. The 2.2l only has 110kw so I think I might have to try for some more power.
cheers Carby650

...should have got the Diesel then, why not? 110 kW + 320 Nm, feels like a V8 ... mods are plug-in, easy :P

digifish

carby650
14th April 2007, 03:30 PM
...should have got the Diesel then, why not? 110 kW + 320 Nm, feels like a V8 ... mods are plug-in, easy :P

digifish

yeh I know.... Just felt like to much of a Povety pck inside the car. The SRI has the 17's , leather , sports kit ect which was the deciding factor.
It has good power but I can just see myself wanting more.

EL BURITO
14th April 2007, 03:41 PM
then get the leather as a option if you are going to wait for a red one to get into the country and get a DT green box.

carby650
14th April 2007, 03:44 PM
then get the leather as a option if you are going to wait for a red one to get into the country and get a DT green box.

Too late for that.
Have signed contract and car will be picked up next week. Very happy with the car. Seats ect are real nice too. The SRI is also the same price as the DT so by the time you go adding leather , 17's and sports kit you are adding approx 4k to the price. No regrets from my end. Mulled over the 2.2l or TD issue for quite a few weeks but in the end the Wife had the final say.

EL BURITO
14th April 2007, 03:47 PM
did u end up finding a red one ?

carby650
14th April 2007, 03:49 PM
did u end up finding a red one ?

No didn't want to wait that long in the end (read the wife didn't want to wait that long !! :D )
Bought one in moonland.

kabel
14th April 2007, 06:56 PM
I saw a gunmetal grey one at Clarskon Holden last weekend was that
the one you purchased?
Really nice actually,now if only they would do a turbo five door
I can buy one for the girlfriend!

Wraith
14th April 2007, 06:58 PM
Damn shame.......red would've been nice :(

Oh well enjoy the new car :)

Digifish, please - 110kw and 320nm ain't V8 territory lol :D

carby650
14th April 2007, 08:46 PM
I saw a gunmetal grey one at Clarskon Holden last weekend was that
the one you purchased?
Really nice actually,now if only they would do a turbo five door
I can buy one for the girlfriend!

no they had to do a swap with another yard to get the SRI hatch. Although they do have a great range...
Still love the SRI Turbo though. I'll keep dreaming !!

digifish
14th April 2007, 10:52 PM
You know something. Red paint never seems to age all that well. Particularly from GM. Probably a good thing to have avoided :)

digifish

carby650
4th June 2007, 07:28 PM
Peoples I thought I would post up a few words since we have now had the SRI for around 4-5 weeks.
Firstly wow.... After dropping my VY SS I thought I would never really enjoy this car. Well let me say that it has impressed me big time.
This thing handles great , drives like a dream and has great pick up considering it is only 110kw.
Whilst the wife mostly drives it I must say that the few times I have had a chance to hop behind the wheel I have really given it a work out and it has converted me so much that I am considering getting a second one for me.
Checked out the VXR this week and I can see myself grabbing one of those as a toy for me.
The chassis on these Astras are fantastic.
Now to convince the wife !!!

EL BURITO
4th June 2007, 07:30 PM
so come on were are the pics

digifish
4th June 2007, 07:37 PM
...This thing handles great , drives like a dream and has great pick up considering it is only 110kw.

That's been my experience with the CDTi, that is the confidence and precision that the chassis gives is outstanding. Particularly in the wet, this car feels so well planted.

I was given a VE Commodore loaner from the dealer a couple of weks ago and it felt slow, boaty and vague in comparison.

digifish

carby650
4th June 2007, 07:47 PM
That's been my experience with the CDTi, that is the confidence and precision that the chassis gives is outstanding. Particularly in the wet, this car feels so well planted.

I was given a VE Commodore loaner from the dealer a couple of weks ago and it felt slow, boaty and vague in comparison.

digifish

Yeh I haven't driven a VE yet an dwhilst I am sure it will handle fantasticly I doubt it will match the Astra. (although much of that would come from the fact it is a much smaller car)

Pics.... Yep will post up next weekend. Need to give her a clean.

My only gripe with the car to date is the lack of storage (cup holders) and the break dust is terrible on the wheels

btm
5th June 2007, 08:27 AM
You know something. Red paint never seems to age all that well. Particularly from GM. Probably a good thing to have avoided :)

digifish

i agree. just look at some of the older red corsa b's... look like sheit!

australian sun and red cars don't mix after a while

shoey85
23rd June 2007, 11:19 AM
no pics yet??

the diesel looks hot wih 18s and body kit, like mine;)

carby650
23rd June 2007, 11:38 AM
no pics yet??

the diesel looks hot wih 18s and body kit, like mine;)

No I've been a bit slack.
Car is filthy at the moment too as its been wet in Perth.
I will try to get off my lazy ass and take some pics once I've cleaned her.

Off topic a tad did anyone read the review the SRI got in Motor. They compared it to the Golf GTi a $5k more expensive car and then bagged it !! :mad:

rjastra
25th June 2007, 01:04 PM
No I've been a bit slack.
Off topic a tad did anyone read the review the SRI got in Motor. They compared it to the Golf GTi a $5k more expensive car and then bagged it !! :mad:

Golf GT not GTI ;)

bornwild
25th June 2007, 03:12 PM
pfff Motor....if you want reviews by guys with years of motoring experience who actually write their own stuff instead of copying straight from british magazines, then check out www.autobild.de and www.automotorundsport.de

Ok, I know they're in German but google is your friend :D :D :D