PDA

View Full Version : Prepd Bumper Rub Strip

MatsHolden
4th April 2007, 10:30 PM
Today I prepd my left rear bumper rub strip for colour coding. Since I need a new bumper after being rear ended I thought might as well do a test run to see how it'd turn out... so far so good.

Sanded the textured finish (those little bumps) back with various grades of wet/dry. Got it nice and smooth for the primer filler. 3 coats of primer filler and then a light sand and she's smooth and ready for painting.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/MatsHolden/DSC00019.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/MatsHolden/DSC00021.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/MatsHolden/DSC00022.jpg

MatsHolden
5th April 2007, 12:18 AM
And the reason I need a new bumper...

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/MatsHolden/DSC00011.jpg

Noir
5th April 2007, 12:53 AM
Very nice attention to detail there Mat. Should look great when completed :)

Feel free to come and do mine.

btm
5th April 2007, 08:15 AM
what did you reverse into?

Wraith
5th April 2007, 08:22 AM
Good effort, looks the business...

Make sure you show us the finished result :)

Tfer
5th April 2007, 09:24 AM
Hey Mat, as usual for you, really great attention to detail..... :cool:

Looking forward to seeing the finished result :)

MatsHolden
5th April 2007, 10:05 AM
what did you reverse into?

Got hit in the back by an SRi-T...:o

MatsHolden
5th April 2007, 10:07 AM
Cheers guys, i'll keep it updated as to how it goes.

mr_sikma
5th April 2007, 10:10 AM
looks good.

but dont do the wheel arches, they look a bit odd when c/coded then!

MatsHolden
5th April 2007, 10:15 AM
looks good.

but dont do the wheel arches, they look a bit odd when c/coded then!

Ta. Yeh have seen a silver one with the wheel arches colour coded and looked quite good, but then saw a black one and it didn't look so good.

mr_sikma
5th April 2007, 10:18 AM
with mine anyway it needs to be split up a bit and the wheel arches kinda do that!

xplosv57
5th April 2007, 11:45 AM
Got hit in the back by an SRi-T...:o

...and whose SRi-T was it???? :p

GreyRex
5th April 2007, 12:18 PM
Hmm... i dont think he wants to be reminded lol. I was right behind them when it happened. At least it's fixable, right Mat!!??

MatsHolden
6th April 2007, 12:48 AM
Hmm... i dont think he wants to be reminded lol. I was right behind them when it happened. At least it's fixable, right Mat!!??

In terms of fixing the bumper... nah it's rooted, need a complete new one and possibly the mounts on the car itself...

SKM_87
6th April 2007, 07:22 AM
it be suprising if you needed the mount, mine didnt when i got hit n i think i got hit a lil harder then you. although my bumper didnt look that bad.

pred8r
6th April 2007, 08:32 AM
Does this mean your Corsa can outbrake a SRi-T? :)

Ginge
6th April 2007, 09:42 AM
becareful on the look of a bumper for damage. behind the bar the is the beaver panel. sometimes needs a slight tap out. bumpers dont always look so bad in an accident. the bracket maybe alright. the 1 on my astra g broke when my friend caught the rear bar in a water runoff.

nice work on the rear bump strips mate. r you painting urself????

MatsHolden
6th April 2007, 02:00 PM
it be suprising if you needed the mount, mine didnt when i got hit n i think i got hit a lil harder then you. although my bumper didnt look that bad.

Yeh it's actually bent and torn, as the impact came from the rear side (90 degrees to my car). So the bumpers been pushed sideways. Not exactly your traditional nose to tail impact. But anyway that doesn't matter, i'm not paying for it so all is good! lol

MatsHolden
6th April 2007, 02:04 PM
becareful on the look of a bumper for damage. behind the bar the is the beaver panel. sometimes needs a slight tap out. bumpers dont always look so bad in an accident. the bracket maybe alright. the 1 on my astra g broke when my friend caught the rear bar in a water runoff.

r you painting urself????

I've got a friend who does airbrushing for cars so she's got the equipment and even the Sapphire Black from when she did her Barina custom bonnet, she does a very good job. And it will cost me $0! :D Well maybe cost me a small gift! haha Can't be a complete tight arse. Then i've just got to get the clear coat, don't think the flat metallic black would look that good. lol

Ginge
6th April 2007, 03:40 PM
thats alright then. clear coat will be easy. ur friend should be able clear it for u to. just remember to wax and grease it it before painting and tack rag it. hate to c ur hard work become harder

mr_sikma
29th April 2007, 11:11 AM
I've got a friend who does airbrushing for cars so she's got the equipment and even the Sapphire Black from when she did her Barina custom bonnet, she does a very good job. And it will cost me $0! :D Well maybe cost me a small gift! haha Can't be a complete tight arse. Then i've just got to get the clear coat, don't think the flat metallic black would look that good. lol

did you end up painting it?

any pics of the airbrushed bonnet?

i wana do some of my interior bits with the same texture, so after sanding the primer filler does the job?

MatsHolden
29th April 2007, 08:04 PM
did you end up painting it?

any pics of the airbrushed bonnet?

i wana do some of my interior bits with the same texture, so after sanding the primer filler does the job?

Yeh I did, i'll post up pics when I have done them all. I'll pm you a pic of the bonnet.

The primer filler does the job.

MatsHolden
3rd May 2007, 12:45 AM
And a photo of the back done...

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/MatsHolden/DSC00130.jpg