PDA

View Full Version : SRi Advice

Benny_SRi
4th April 2007, 09:16 PM
Hello all,

My names Ben and im a student from Sydney.

I have just purchased an Astra SRi 2002 with 114,000km on the clock.

Today as i started-up the car i noticed a very loud noise coming from the left hand side of the engine.

After doing some research, i have come to the conclusion that this has to be the timing chain, or rather the chain tensioner.

I drove the car home very carefully (<1km @ 20km/h), and gritted my teeth as the noise went on.

Question is, where to from here?

Im assuming i need that nozzle replacement kit, but is there anything else i need to know, so i go to the mechanic well advised.

Any help would or advice would be very appreciated.

Ben

SKM_87
4th April 2007, 09:23 PM
timing chain would be due by now rite??

Benny_SRi
4th April 2007, 09:29 PM
timing chain would be due by now rite??

Well, thats what im confused about - chain or tensioner, perhaps both with the addition of the nozzle kit.

daaaaavek
4th April 2007, 09:36 PM
I assume you bought the non-turbo 2.2 .. ? Depending on when it was built you may not have the smaller oiler nozzle. If it's on it's original chain it may very well need new guides - while that's happening it can't hurt to get a whole new chain. Better to spend the money now, rather than thousands later if the chain should snap.

Benny_SRi
4th April 2007, 09:41 PM
I assume you bought the non-turbo 2.2 .. ? Depending on when it was built you may not have the smaller oiler nozzle. If it's on it's original chain it may very well need new guides - while that's happening it can't hurt to get a whole new chain. Better to spend the money now, rather than thousands later if the chain should snap.

Yep, its the 2.2 non-turbo. From the sounds of it im lucky, perhaps, that the flippin chain didnt snappo.

Quite annoying though that Holden/Opel have been giving people curry about the issue.

Benny_SRi
4th April 2007, 10:19 PM
I have just spoken to numerous mechanics about the problem and none of them have ever heard of this!

Does anyone know someone in Sydney who could offer advice and/or fix the timing chain??

Ben

Huhness
5th April 2007, 10:42 AM
Have a look at this thread if you haven't already.

http://www.opelaus.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6196&highlight=chain

just quote the Bulletin Number (TL314-0210)

Benny_SRi
5th April 2007, 05:54 PM
Have a look at this thread if you haven't already.

http://www.opelaus.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6196&highlight=chain

just quote the Bulletin Number (TL314-0210)

Thank you for that.

Well, i spoke to Holden today - the head mechanic in the service department. As many others have found, the dude denied everything! Never heard of the problem, he said!

So on Tuesday i will call them up again and quote that bulletin number. Not sure how i will go though, my car is out of the warranty period, although it has flawless service history..

Ben

Benny_SRi
10th April 2007, 12:02 PM
Hey all,

After speaking to holden at Brookvale, i became somewhat bewildered. However, i did as suggested and quoted that golden number with a different holden dealer and hey presto - they said their going to repair the car for free!!! :dance:

We will see if they do actually do it for free, but its nonetheless a breakthrough!

Joy!

Huhness
10th April 2007, 12:18 PM
Great! Good to see you didn't have too much trouble getting them to own up to it! Now to see what they say when you take it in. :rolleyes:

Benny_SRi
10th April 2007, 12:25 PM
Great! Good to see you didn't have too much trouble getting them to own up to it! Now to see what they say when you take it in. :rolleyes:

Well the guy sounded pretty sure it is covered by "holden warranty", and theres little if any damage (hardly drove since the noise) so heres hopping all goes well.

Benny_SRi
15th April 2007, 07:51 PM
Hello all - quick update:

Well as mentioned, my car was out of its warranty period. Holden have decided to cover the cost of the parts for the car (about $480.00 inc. both chains & new lube nozzle thingy) but they are charging me the labor of $470.00. I am quite happy with this outcome, and consider myself lucky no damage was done.

I also want to extend thanks to the forum and its members for being helpful - dont know what i would have done otherwise!!!

So now, i can begin modifying my car. Its shocks and an exhaust system first!

Ben

daaaaavek
15th April 2007, 08:22 PM
Pfft .. start with the intake system. De-restrict the airbox, change the intake pipe and fit a high-flow filter (K&N) - otherwise the exhaust system won't benefit as much. For exhausts, I recommend Best Mufflers in Carlton - Chris just did mine and did a top job.

Huhness
15th April 2007, 11:01 PM
Good to see the outcome suited you!

We 2.2 SRi guys should have a drive sometime! I need to see some others to get some ideas on what to get done! :rolleyes:

ilya
20th May 2007, 07:50 PM
hello all

got the same problem

gave the bulletin number to the service dept. they acknowledged it, but said something like that 'it's just an advice to the technicians to know what the updated part numbers were' :confused: the price he quoted for the service was around $1400 :eek: the car itself is out of factory warranty, but still has dealership (useless) warranty (the one with $1000 cap on repairs). regularly serviced by holden and done under 75000km.

where to from here? should i try another dealer/service dept? (which one did you go to, benny?)

any help is GREATLY appreciated

Benny_SRi
21st May 2007, 04:47 PM
hello all

got the same problem

gave the bulletin number to the service dept. they acknowledged it, but said something like that 'it's just an advice to the technicians to know what the updated part numbers were' :confused: the price he quoted for the service was around $1400 :eek: the car itself is out of factory warranty, but still has dealership (useless) warranty (the one with $1000 cap on repairs). regularly serviced by holden and done under 75000km.

where to from here? should i try another dealer/service dept? (which one did you go to, benny?)

any help is GREATLY appreciated

The bulletin number is as good as a recall number - I had the same problem - the fools at the service dept simply act dumb and deny everything. if you read the notice you will see the cut-off date is December this year so they have to do something! Its all about being tactful.

Stuff I Found Helpful

Shop around:
Call up a few dealerships and repairers like ultratune, don't rely on just one. I contacted about 3 dealers and 4 repairers and the third dealer (Manly Vale) was the most helpful - don't expect too much though.

Act Dumb, Like They Do
I found that acting a little clueless was helpful, because your not letting them know how much you know. Just be pleasant with them, and dont force your opinions onto them, and you may find that they begin giving you information.

Just say to them, "i heard a noise coming from the engine and i want it checked-out".
Then say, "a friend gave me this recall bulletin - do you think this could be the problem?".

They will likely check to see the problem and then call you about it. Ask them how much and write it down.

I know this sounds a little cunning, but this is what it takes to get Holden to cough-up as they should (its a matter of principle, darn it!). They play hard ball - we will too.

And dont worry, my car had done 120,000km and they still fixed it for $470.00 labor. i wouldn't be surprised if you got it done for free.

Also, dont drive your car - this is a serious problem that can easily become worse. Get it towed.

Anyway, hope this helps - let us know how you get on.

Ben