PDA

View Full Version : Additive to washer fluid

The Sentinel
31st May 2004, 11:06 PM
I put this here as it's not model specific but moderators please move this as you see fit.

I read in another forum about RainEx being added to the washer fluid to make for clearer driving in the rain.

Has anybody used this stuff before?
I was a bit concerned about it affecting the clearcoat after prolonged usage.

Degen-Astra
31st May 2004, 11:42 PM
I have Rain-X on my windscreen and Polyglaze Rain Repellent Washer Fluid in my filler.

Works wonders.

I think if you just keep the paintwork that may get splattered on cleaned regularly you will be fine.

anicorsa
31st May 2004, 11:54 PM
Yeah i use RainEx on my windows. But nothing in my filler.

Its great! water just flies off, sometimes you dont even need wipers, where you normally would. Always safe to have em on though.

Anonymous
1st June 2004, 10:22 AM
I use SHELL Windscreen Fluid in my Washer Bottle thats it.
If ya use Good Car wash, Ya don't need Rain X :roll:

Molky
1st June 2004, 11:16 AM
KID_SRi: you'll find that as your car gets older the water will bead less off the windscreen, so rain-x does a great job and seals all the microscopic pores in the glass which create friction, stopping the water from beading off.

I also use Holden Opticlean in my washer bottle which also works well but only really use it on long trips, I prefer wash the windscreen by hand, makes less mess

Dee
1st June 2004, 11:34 AM
water :) plain and simple... i was my windscreen by hand regularly cos it gets dirty at work sitting under a tree and i hate having water spots and the like everywhere... drives me insane

DrDevil
1st June 2004, 11:37 AM
I dont put anything in my washer bottle, or on my windscreen. But i do have some of that Holden stuff in the washer bottle from last time i had my service.

Anonymous
1st June 2004, 11:59 AM
water :) plain and simple... i was my windscreen by hand regularly cos it gets dirty at work sitting under a tree and i hate having water spots and the like everywhere... drives me insane

I hate Water Spots as well, Its sort like Road Rage.
Makes ya Crazy :screwy:

RK
1st June 2004, 12:01 PM
i use the bug solution thingy from robbos. no idea what its called. but its smells good :)

blackSRi
1st June 2004, 04:32 PM
I just put in 98% distilled water and a splash of metho, works the same as Opticlean - I read somewhere.
A good one to use to clean windscreens is Novus plastic clean and polish.
Great for laminated glass and seals the pores. Great on head and tail lights too.

anicorsa
1st June 2004, 06:49 PM
I found that RainEx make the wipers work better too... much smoother action and no water streaks.