PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Clio Sport 172 $17k VIC Dealer

pred8r
2nd April 2007, 10:56 PM
A find for those interested.
At this price why would you even consider a Corsa C SRi?

here (http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars/dealer/RENAULT/CLIO/details.aspx?__Ns=pCar_StatusSort_Int32%7C1%7C%7Cp Car_Price_Decimal%7C0&Make=RENAULT&State=All%20States&__Nne=20&Region=All%20Regions&R=596357&state_id=0&distance=25&__Dx=mode+matchany&trecs=2&RegionID=&__N=4294963762+0+834+285+258+287&__Ntk=CarAll&silo=1000&keywords=clio%20172&__sid=10F39FF937C9&Cr=0&__D=clio%20172&seot=0&__Ntt=clio%20172&__Ntx=mode+matchallpartial)

$16990
98k kms
124Kw
0-100 in low 7s
400m in mid 15s

http://images.carsales.com.au/dealer/carsales/5841315.jpg

blueraven
3rd April 2007, 12:33 AM
not to mention probably the best handling front wheel drive car on the road.

thats a steal, last year i had a look at a few and they were all above 20k by far.

btm
3rd April 2007, 09:06 AM
but looks like crap IMO

oneightoo
3rd April 2007, 09:12 AM
yep, it's a renault, which means, it's a hideous looking car..

btm
3rd April 2007, 09:56 AM
yep, it's a renault, which means, it's a hideous looking car..
its pretty much a general rule of thumb :p

GreyRex
3rd April 2007, 11:22 AM
I considered that car when looking for mine... but i could just not drive around sumthing that looked like that. I know of it's abilities (im sick of hearing about them)... but the looks coupled with constant build quality issues... not for me

Mainframe_Module
3rd April 2007, 12:23 PM
clios look like cheap crap imo.....

i like the look of the meganes for some reason though...i like the boot on the hatches, but still...from what ive heard about build quality i dont think id bother with them.
same reason i decided to avoid citroen even though i love the look of their c4 coupes.

ima go with opel cause they are one of the more reliable european cars from what i can tell and read up on etc....and they still have the cool european quirkyness that i love.

rjastra
3rd April 2007, 01:26 PM
My mate got rid of his 172 before it ran out of warranty. He was terrified something would go bang!

pred8r
3rd April 2007, 04:36 PM
The 182 cup is better looking (the wheels do it) but the thing with the cups IIRC is they have all sorts of strengthening in them that the 'standard' models dont get, a few other performance parts - they are also a lot rarer and are about $10k more with similar kms.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j220/saxonutz/Clio182cup001.jpg

As for looks they fit into the same segment as the Corsa C SRi - Small sports.
These also came with leather/alcantara seats and a few other things GM left out.

Build quality? Only had two issues that stopped my Trafic and that was a faulty BCM plug/socket at 8000kms and a flat tyre around the same time and have had no problems since (now at 35k). Had more problems with my SRi and heard quite a few more Opel related on here.

If you thrash its ring out all/every day expect it to fail I dont care what it is.
Also If you turn cars over every 3yrs, why care about build quality - take out a roadside assistance package and enjoy the car.

The point of the topic, was to inform you all of a potential bargain 'hot hatch' that would give the astra turbos a decent run for about $5k less UNMODIFIED and that you would scare the crap out of most other stuff considering its Power/weight ratio.

GreyRex
3rd April 2007, 05:11 PM
The 182 cup is better looking (the wheels do it) but the thing with the cups IIRC is they have all sorts of strengthening in them that the 'standard' models dont get, a few other performance parts - they are also a lot rarer and are about $10k more with similar kms.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j220/saxonutz/Clio182cup001.jpg

As for looks they fit into the same segment as the Corsa C - Small.
These also came with leather/alcantara seats.

Build quality? Only had two issues that stopped my Trafic and that was a faulty BCM plug/socket at 8000kms and had no problems since and a flat tyre around the same time (now at 35k). Had more problems with my SRi.

If you thrash its ring out all/every day expect it to fail.

Hmm i'd have to disagree with you there a little. The basic premise with Cup versions is that they are more hardcore... sometimes less weight, but more or less an engine/exhaust mod and suspension tuning. They are more track/race based. Also, in relation to ringing it out/thrashing it every day... these cars are marketed as a performance car!! What other newish car will cock it's rear tyre round a corner like a Clio? It's what they're all about. It'd be like saying those two Mazda 3 MPS's whose engines broke from their mounts, weren't being driven how they're supposed to. They are protrayed/marketed as a performance car... they are generally driven that way. Any car is bound to have it's faults... but the Clio is widely renowned for having more than others

pred8r
3rd April 2007, 05:18 PM
Hmm i'd have to disagree with you there a little. The basic premise with Cup versions is that they are more hardcore... sometimes less weight, but more or less an engine/exhaust mod and suspension tuning. They are more track/race based. Also, in relation to ringing it out/thrashing it every day... these cars are marketed as a performance car!! What other newish car will cock it's rear tyre round a corner like a Clio? It's what they're all about. It'd be like saying those two Mazda 3 MPS's whose engines broke from their mounts, weren't being driven how they're supposed to. They are protrayed/marketed as a performance car... they are generally driven that way. Any car is bound to have it's faults... but the Clio is widely renowned for having more than others
Quote from somewhere....
The 2002 Renault Clio range bears a strengthened body structure, with thicker front and rear subframe crossmembers, scuttle and reinforced front pillars. A 3mm thick steel reinforcement bar and absorbent padding for better protection of the thorax is present in the B pillar of all models. The Clio Renault Sport provides an additional beam inserted into the sill members and a reinforcing stiffener in the quarter panel mouldings.

Ill still doubt the reliability issue, I have heard the same thing from a semi-trusted GM worker and various service people about the Opel products, dating back from the UC torana/VB commodore days and it's reputation NEVER got any better.
I then just bought one because I liked it and it fitted my needs (small, cheap - buy price and running cost and most of all BFYB!) irrespective to what everyone else had said about their reliability.

I like my Sig text :D

GreyRex
4th April 2007, 09:10 AM
Quote from somewhere....
The 2002 Renault Clio range bears a strengthened body structure, with thicker front and rear subframe crossmembers, scuttle and reinforced front pillars. A 3mm thick steel reinforcement bar and absorbent padding for better protection of the thorax is present in the B pillar of all models. The Clio Renault Sport provides an additional beam inserted into the sill members and a reinforcing stiffener in the quarter panel mouldings.

Ill still doubt the reliability issue, I have heard the same thing from a semi-trusted GM worker and various service people about the Opel products, dating back from the UC torana/VB commodore days and it's reputation NEVER got any better.
I then just bought one because I liked it and it fitted my needs (small, cheap - buy price and running cost and most of all BFYB!) irrespective to what everyone else had said about their reliability.

I like my Sig text :D

You said that the Cup range was structurally modified... that was what I was referring to, just the Cup. I was under the impression that it wasn't. Either way it doesn't matter. It's widely regarded as being a fantastic car. When ive been in them tho, the interior's a little oddball... and that coupled with an uninspiring exterior and POSSIBLE build quality issues made me look elsewhere. The new one though... can't wait!!

rjastra
4th April 2007, 01:14 PM
The "cup" option here was basically stiffer suspension and different coloured alloy wheels and standard metallic paint. Came to about $1500 extra on the last update (182) of the clio for the Australian model They're not worth 10,000 more than an equivalent vintage non-cup equipped vehicle.

In Europe the Cup was stripped of many of the lux features and was CHEAPER than the regular 172/182.

pred8r
4th April 2007, 05:07 PM
You said that the Cup range was structurally modified... that was what I was referring to, just the Cup. I was under the impression that it wasn't. Either way it doesn't matter. It's widely regarded as being a fantastic car. When ive been in them tho, the interior's a little oddball... and that coupled with an uninspiring exterior and POSSIBLE build quality issues made me look elsewhere. The new one though... can't wait!!

The Clio 197 is slightly slower, its 140kg heavier, even so I still think any of them would be a HOOT.
http://www.autoebid.com/autoenews/clio197.gif

ultim8DTM5
4th April 2007, 09:49 PM
its pretty much a general rule of thumb :p

What, and the Astra G is the pinnacle of automotive design?

Tfer
5th April 2007, 09:30 AM
A find for those interested.
At this price why would you even consider a Corsa C SRi?

here (http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars/dealer/RENAULT/CLIO/details.aspx?__Ns=pCar_StatusSort_Int32%7C1%7C%7Cp Car_Price_Decimal%7C0&Make=RENAULT&State=All%20States&__Nne=20&Region=All%20Regions&R=596357&state_id=0&distance=25&__Dx=mode+matchany&trecs=2&RegionID=&__N=4294963762+0+834+285+258+287&__Ntk=CarAll&silo=1000&keywords=clio%20172&__sid=10F39FF937C9&Cr=0&__D=clio%20172&seot=0&__Ntt=clio%20172&__Ntx=mode+matchallpartial)

$16990
98k kms
124Kw
0-100 in low 7s
400m in mid 15s

http://images.carsales.com.au/dealer/carsales/5841315.jpg

I actually like the look of these..... something not so common, and it does seem really good value. Good write ups about them too :D

Good find Pred ;)

Vectra V6
5th April 2007, 09:46 AM
Suprisingly, these cars have a nice pur and takeoff pretty quick too..... pretty good buy for what they are, but pity they look crap....

Apex
5th April 2007, 11:29 AM
I believe the Cleo Sport to be the last true hot hatch, while other manufactures have gone big and heavy Renault had kept the recipe right. Sad that we won’t see anything like this again really.:boohoo:

pred8r
5th April 2007, 06:57 PM
I believe the Cleo Sport to be the last true hot hatch, while other manufactures have gone big and heavy Renault had kept the recipe right. Sad that we won’t see anything like this again really.:boohoo:

At least they were sold here, so we have the chance to own one, unlike some others.