PDA

View Full Version : Electric Supercharger Turbo Conversion Holden Astra

dsh31k
31st March 2007, 12:26 AM
hey people

i was just having a sticky @ ebay to c anything new for the astra.

i came across this supercharger thingy.

anyone ever seen or know if they are any good?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Electric-Supercharger-Turbo-Conversion-Holden-Astra_W0QQitemZ200093335961QQcategoryZ72478QQrdZ1Q QcmdZViewItem

blueraven
31st March 2007, 01:25 AM
please dont tell me you havent heard of these.

Complete waste of money.

stevedee3
31st March 2007, 01:27 AM
I wouldn't waste my money. See this thread for more.

Lt Ketch
31st March 2007, 09:02 AM
Go on buy it!
We need someone to tease!!!! :)

InsaneAsylum
31st March 2007, 10:44 AM
Go on buy it!
We need someone to tease!!!! :)

i just bought one....

NOT!

Wraith
1st April 2007, 08:50 AM

Complete waste of money.

How many times has this one come up before on car forums everywhere :D

It's amazing the people making/selling them are still in business :rolleyes:

Lt Ketch
1st April 2007, 10:28 AM
hey people

i was just having a sticky @ ebay to c anything new for the astra.

i came across this supercharger thingy.

anyone ever seen or know if they are any good?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Electric-Supercharger-Turbo-Conversion-Holden-Astra_W0QQitemZ200093335961QQcategoryZ72478QQrdZ1Q QcmdZViewItem

If you plumbed in a cooling fan off of a pc, i'd imagine you would have just as much success! AND it wouldn't be $299!!!!

xplosv57
1st April 2007, 12:19 PM
Im gonna buy one so i can put supercharged badges on my car and show it off until the electric supercharger drains my battery and stuffs up my alternator!!!!

So PC cooling fan eh.... is there a how to on it??? LOL!!!!

digifish
1st April 2007, 12:37 PM

Complete waste of money.

While that may be a waste of money. In principle an electric turbo could be built that works, and would eliminate turbo lag etc...but the exhaust turbo is free power I suppose, while an e-turbo would suck power from the engine/batteries.

digifish

platypus
1st April 2007, 02:53 PM
While that may be a waste of money. In principle an electric turbo could be built that works, and would eliminate turbo lag etc...but the exhaust turbo is free power I suppose, while an e-turbo would suck power from the engine/batteries.yay and nay....

an exhust turbo is an exhaust restriction, however once it starts spooling it could help evacuate gases to a degree, but more so it forces more air into the engine, creating a greater exhaust force

and yes it would be possible to create an electric... but hey it'll need to run on phase 4 power, so is therefore only good for dyno runs

of course there is the old fire extinguisher trick, or NOS... they are your 2 cheap options for big gains (try youtube, or similar, i can't seem to find it :( )

digifish
1st April 2007, 03:07 PM
yay and nay....

of course there is the old fire extinguisher trick, or NOS... they are your 2 cheap options for big gains (try youtube, or similar, i can't seem to find it :( )

or...

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/leaf+blower/0/ab544e3b-5dff-416d-9cfd-a1ad23ca9564.htm

:)

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/leaf+blower/0/8c22540d-bbde-4fa4-8727-cd79ee2ab3cd.htm

:D

MatsHolden
1st April 2007, 03:55 PM
I just fitted mine... Except I keep running out of extension cord! :p
http://images.meredith.com/ab/images/2006/04/ss_w28HairDryer.jpg

blueraven
1st April 2007, 05:08 PM
you only need 400m :P

in all seriousness, this has been caluculated many, many times on many, many forums. Most end up with a similar conclusion : in order to get a fan to push as much air as a conventional turbo at LOW psi, you would need several additional batteries and a huge alternator, all of which will negate any increasedpower you might acheive from the fan.

InsaneAsylum
1st April 2007, 06:29 PM
ahahah some good laughs in this thread :)

most of the electric superchargers are just bilge blowers used in boats. do a google search for "bildge blower" and you will see your humble little electric supercharger.

i guess the people just post "electric supercharger honda integra civic hyundai excel holden astra barina vectra ferrari testarossa gain 1000% hp"

then if someones stupid enough to click "buy now $299.99" they just whip down to the local marine supply shop, buy a bildge blower for $50, and make $150 profit.

the only way you are going to get an electric supercharger to work is by starting with a belt driven supercharger or the compressor of a turbo and attach a high torque electric motor to it.... that might work... might, ot might not

digifish
1st April 2007, 07:53 PM
the only way you are going to get an electric supercharger to work is by starting with a belt driven supercharger or the compressor of a turbo and attach a high torque electric motor to it.... that might work... might, ot might not

You need to watch the videos I posted :)

pred8r
1st April 2007, 08:06 PM
Ive always thought one of these may be feasable. Just not sure on the mounting or running the belt.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Supercharger_W0QQitemZ280100277398QQcategoryZ50138 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If it works for a 3800 V6 it SHOULD work for a sub 2lt engine

xplosv57
1st April 2007, 08:16 PM
Yeah i enquired about that toyota supercharger for my commodore, it works well for very cheap on the 3.8, but its not electric, and actually comes from a car, not some aftermarket crap!!!! Would however be difficult to mount on a FWD car unless youre willing to play around with it!!!

InsaneAsylum
1st April 2007, 10:03 PM
You need to watch the videos I posted :)

they've been floating around the net since before i grew pubes. i'm unenthused by them

a. a leaf blower is way too huge to fit in most engine bays

b. they're running it off 240v mains

c. it's easy enough to mock up figures in the name of a good story

d. it's a honda civic

InsaneAsylum
1st April 2007, 10:08 PM
Ive always thought one of these may be feasable. Just not sure on the mounting or running the belt.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Supercharger_W0QQitemZ280100277398QQcategoryZ50138 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If it works for a 3800 V6 it SHOULD work for a sub 2lt engine

the toyota SC12 and SC14 superchargers aren't the best in comparison to something like an EATON M90, but they work.

the problem is being able to run them off the auxillary belt on an opel without llosing the power steering or aircon. all the opels seem to have an extremely tight engine bay

Mr T
1st April 2007, 11:30 PM
How many times has this one come up before on car forums everywhere :D

And it's the same people that read and post in these threads...

woody
2nd April 2007, 11:13 AM
Man these always get people.. i spent ages reading up on these when i first heard about them.. they offer more resistance to your airflow then anything else.

Think about it this way - they have a max RPM of 25,000, your basic turbo is going to have an rpm of around 100000 and even then it's probably only operating at bout 75% efficiency.. flow rate.. maybe 60 lbs/min.

maybe if you fit the battery our of a hybrid in the car and used that to run it it might work.. for a bit... but yeah the weight is soo gonna kill any benefit.

Mr T
2nd April 2007, 11:36 AM
I contacted one seller, he said it could provide 400cubic feet per minute...I knew then that he was talking shit, so I stopped my research right there.

Even if it ran like 2-3psi, it would/could be handy...!!!

InsaneAsylum
2nd April 2007, 12:36 PM
I contacted one seller, he said it could provide 400cubic feet per minute...I knew then that he was talking shit, so I stopped my research right there.

Even if it ran like 2-3psi, it would/could be handy...!!!

you should have told him you required one that produced 1000 millimetres of mercury

Mr T
2nd April 2007, 01:22 PM
you should have told him you required one that produced 1000 millimetres of mercury

HAHAHA...they probably do...:rolleyes:

platypus
3rd April 2007, 11:13 PM
the toyota SC12 and SC14 superchargers aren't the best in comparison to something like an EATON M90, but they work.

the problem is being able to run them off the auxillary belt on an opel without llosing the power steering or aircon. all the opels seem to have an extremely tight engine bay

would need a custom accesory belt, or to try and separate them out, instead of the huge thing

and you can do it, via front mounted pulley, and transfer to opposite side of the engine. - from here re-locate the battery to the bootie and run the supercharger in its place.

pull air from this side, go to a fridge and back into the standard position - or knock out the air box and run the charger there, to cooler, past the lacking battery and throttle...

hmmm yeah thats do-able... also note that thing has an electric clutch!! that would kick ass, as it won't have much parasitic loss on idle!!