PDA

View Full Version : Astra Convertible - lemon?

seldo
28th March 2007, 10:46 AM
I pinched this from the LS1 forum where this guy/person has just joined to post the following. Does anyone know of this ? Is it fair-dinkum or is it just a troll trying to stir trouble?

I made the unfortunate decision to buy a new Holden Astra Convertible & from the moment I drove it out of the showroom 12 months ago it was a lemon.
Holden's Customer Service are useless & I has to go to Consumer Affairs to get things fixed on it.
Holden have spent over $36k fixing it so far & has been off the road a month already this year & is going off the road again next week for more repairs.
Australia needs to get it's Lemon Law Act together otherwise Holden will keep getting away with this.
I was told by Holden H/o that it does not replace cars & that they have seen them spend 3 times the cars value fixing it rather than replacing it.
Why is it that other Car Companies such as Mazda & Kia will replace your car if it has major faults or give you your money back.
Holden have a bad reputation when it comes to looking after it's customers.
I have my car signwritten saying it is a Lemon & I have another owner with the same stickers on her Astra Convertible, we have a group of us who email & text each other with our latest problems, but so far my Lemon is winning.
I even have it advertised on Carsales listing all of the things that have been fixed on it.
I have already stopped 5 people buying a Holden after hearing about my car & they cannot believe Holden will not replace it & what I have been thru.
Driving it actually puts me in a bad mood & I almost lost my job because of all the time I need to take off getting in for repairs continually.
The first thing my friends ask me about when we catch up is what has gone wrong with your car now & I always have something new to tell them.
So far it has had a
new computer
new cruise control
Engine repaired (ran out of oil twice at 7000 km & 14000km)
New Roof including ranel that lifts
Front Bumper resprayed & under door
New window mechanism & Motor
New door seals
Module that controls aircon & Climate Control
Brakes continually getting fixed
New Ignition
Plus the car creaks like an old Fairlane
The windows rattle with the roof down
The wind noise is so bad that I have to put the stereo up to 45 - 50 to drown it out
seats squeaked
Black strips at front kept coming off
Boot lining refitted
Screw came loose in roof cavity & damaged canvas
car shudders
Drivers door out of alignment
Has anyone had problems with there Holden & how did you deal with Holden H/O.
The other owner & myself in Brisbane are going to start parking our cars completely signwritten outside motoring events & anything sponsored by Holden.
Holden get your act together & do the right thing my your customers.
I am even considering putting an ad in the paper listing my cars faults, we will not stop till Holden does the right thing by us.

Wraith
28th March 2007, 11:07 AM
I think he is an unfortunate victim of the very few who do indeed cop a lemon - whatever type of car it may be.........this is not exactly unheard of ;)

Now being an owner of a TS vert and mine's a turbo, I can only speak for myself in saying it's simply a sensational car, that although still very young in age and travelled km/use has presented itself with absolutely NO troubles whatsover, or even a hiccup :)

I hope he gets his all sorted out, one way or another.

rjastra
28th March 2007, 12:09 PM
Why is it that other Car Companies such as Mazda & Kia will replace your car if it has major faults or give you your money back.

bwwahahahahah... tell my mate with an MX5. Been off the road for over 2 months+ in the last 3 yrs. No way they would replace it or give him a special trade-in deal on another.

MatsHolden
28th March 2007, 12:15 PM
bwwahahahahah... tell my mate with an MX5. Been off the road for over 2 months+ in the last 3 yrs. No way they would replace it or give him a special trade-in deal on another.

lol yeh it's like the Mazda 3 MPS's with the transmission mounts breaking and causing the engine to fall out... they won't replace those with a new one!

Mainframe_Module
28th March 2007, 12:26 PM
thats really unfair when you think about it

you can take back almost anything and get them replaced if its bad enough, why not cars? especially when they cost so much money.

fair enough for anything little..just repair it.
but if you have documented proof that you are stuck with a lemon, surely there is some legal ground to get a replacement or ones money back?

i hope i never get stuck with a lemon :(

oneightoo
28th March 2007, 12:49 PM
maybe if you brought the car in with all the problems at once, and the car could be deemed a "write off".. most people, and im asusming also the chap who wrote his lemon story, take there car to get things fixed under warranty, bits at a time.. it'd be foolish for holden to replace a car that's had 20k worth of repairs already done and then to have to replair more..

i do think it should be something they need to look at..

imay
28th March 2007, 03:23 PM
Guess this is the one http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars/private/HOLDEN/ASTRA/details.aspx?__Ns=pCar_PrivateSpecialFlag_Int32%7C 1%7C%7CpCar_ImageCount_Int32%7C1%7C%7CpCar_LastMod ifiedDate_DateTime%7C1&Make=HOLDEN&State=All%20States&R=616319&state_id=0&__No=40&distance=25&__Dx=mode%20matchany&trecs=88&Model=ASTRA&__Nne=20&__N=4294965857%200%204294965856%20834%20285%20257&__Ntk=CarAll&silo=1003&keywords=convertible&__sid=10F583B23101&Cr=7&__D=convertible&seot=0&__Ntt=convertible&__Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial
It's been doing the rounds for some time now. I don't know the whole story, but really sounds like this guy has had more than his share of bad luck with this one . . . along with a touch of sour grapes! Some of these "complaints" could well be attributed to the driving style of the owner, I feel.
I'm with Wraith . . . mine is now 16 months old and I (touch wood!) have not had a thing go wrong, other than a few cosmetic faults that were reported at pick-up from new. These have now been fixed (to the best of Holden's limited ability) and I've resolved to not involve them in any repair work of this nature again! That is my only negative comment about the car at this point of time.
Would I recommend an Astra convertible to anyone considering buying one? You betcha! Just, as with any car, research it and get a thorough check done prior to purchase.

EL BURITO
28th March 2007, 06:54 PM
maybe if you brought the car in with all the problems at once, and the car could be deemed a "write off".. most people, and im asusming also the chap who wrote his lemon story, take there car to get things fixed under warranty, bits at a time.. it'd be foolish for holden to replace a car that's had 20k worth of repairs already done and then to have to replair more..

i do think it should be something they need to look at..
I have read on CCUK that Vaux will right the car of if it costs 3/4+ of the cars worth to fix it.

EL BURITO
28th March 2007, 06:56 PM
the only bet for this guy to get his money back is a insurence scam

btm
29th March 2007, 08:38 AM
the only bet for this guy to get his money back is a insurence scam
after all the hype he's made about the car being a lemon it would look so suss...

oneightoo
29th March 2007, 08:52 AM
fires are very hard to prove tho..

btm
29th March 2007, 08:53 AM
fires are very hard to prove tho..
so you've heard :rolleyes:

:D

Wraith
29th March 2007, 09:25 AM
On a second observation of all those complaints above, it does seem some of them are well a bit of winge....or maybe as others have said, just out of pure frustration and anger.

"Car creeks like an old Fairlane" ??
"Black strips at front keep coming off" - what black strips at the front ??
"Resprayed front bumper and under doors" - sounds like this car was repaired from a bad accident, maybe that's why nearly everything on it has been affected and or changed :confused:

One things for certain, the car is fatally flawed, it's certainly an isolated case and NOT representative of the whole 'breed' ;)

The worst I've ever heard regarding these cars to date is some cases of water leakage and too high a wind noise at freeway speeds !

Don't have that or any other complaints with mine :)

xplosv57
29th March 2007, 10:06 AM
LOL yeah some things sound a bit driver error but is also disappointing that the car has had so many issues in under a year!!!

The black strips on the front i believe would be the little black lip on the bottom, easliy broken when you smack the car hard on steep driveways = driver error!!!

Unfortunately it happens, one bad egg in a batch of good ones, working at a dealer, i do see it, and i do feel for the owners, so i also believe Holden should give him a new car or refund his money, i know other places do!!!

woody
29th March 2007, 10:15 AM
It's a shame he's not been treated well by his holden dealer, buying a lemon is a bitch for those that get them and there really should be a law to help the consumer.

Although probably not an isolated case, i belive alot can be attributed to the dealer who this guy has been going back to - i have had problems with my Astra but due to the dealer i went through (Hunter Holden in St Leonards) my Cylinder head was replaced and i was given a courtesy car while it was done .. alright not the best car.. but it got me from a to b - and the whole process was painless...

now thats one incident and he's had many so it's not comparable but you can't blame an entire company for that. yes they should have replaced his car.. but should it stop people from buying a holden.. probably not.. there are lemons from every car company.. sh1t happens.. its just unfortunate that the consumer does not have more protection.

Wraith
29th March 2007, 10:40 AM
I agree Woody.

And it's probably because of the fact that cases like the above are not very common that manufacturers or others powers that be havn't done anything about it, so far as having some sort of protection/benefit for the consumer against this kind occurance.

seldo
29th March 2007, 12:22 PM
I also want to raise a point which covers not just this bloke but many others.
When I was in the industry it used to fascinate me how some people seemed to almost attract problems. I recall one bloke who had a Jag XJS that used to come in on a flat-top at least once or twice a month. We spent a squillion trying to fix this bloke and make him happy but to no avail, and I ended-up trading it back on another car. Then, I thought - this car is so bad I can't sell it to anyone else because it will just be creating new problems. So - I drove it myself.....and I drove it.....and I drove it - for almost 12 months, in which time it never missed a beat. And guess what - the new car he bought was nearly as unreliable as the Jag had been....or so he claimed. I put it down to him being someone who was a totally non-car person and every time he thought there was a little noise, or it took 3secs to fire-up instead of 2secs, he thought there was a problem. In short, he seemed to manufacture his own problems....How or why, I have no idea, but he wasn't the only one. Many people who claimed to have problem cars, always had problem cars even after changing them several times....
So I'm questioning whether our lemon-lipped poster is just a drama queen or whether he too really does have problems.
I also wonder whether he's just seeking more sympathy and attention......"Look at me...Poor me....Look at me....Poor me..."
After all - WTF would you drive around with your car covered in stickers...?

astraman
15th April 2007, 09:08 AM
I can relate to the guys problems. Since my ownership of an 03 convertible - see previous threads posted.

Under warranty
My car has run out of oil twice - holden stated oil consumption in my car is normal - 2.5litres per 10,000km - changed to a different oil consumption isn't as bad but fuel economy has gone down.
Had the steering pump replaced.
Had steering pump rewired
Had drivers seat base changed
Climate control changed

Outside warranty
Lost radio reception - no big deal but holden wanted to charge a day's labour to "replug" the radio antenna
Reverse lights now cease to work - seems the reverse switches have a short life span.
Rattles all over the place but it is a soft top convertible

Overall
Solid feeling car, nice drive, but it is a car and will break down, question is when. Would I buy another one - yes but a turbo convertible. These seem to have fewer problems than the 2.2s

platypus
15th April 2007, 10:33 AM
why would the car run out of oil?

should be a weekly check (like every fill up or that evening)

yes i agree that oil use is a little excessive, BUT for it to run out is insane

and brake dust? are you joking? whats not designed for australian conditions? what you mean stopping? thats just plain dumb

rattles in a rag top? my god! surprised they didn't mention its just not as precise as the hard top options...

some people shouldn't own cars - even ones that have small problems

digifish
15th April 2007, 02:30 PM
...I am starying to wonder about my 6900 km CDTi, I am still waiting for some parts to finally have the oil leak fixed.

Since new...

Gearbox is a pig to get in gear (particularly reverse and 1st) when cold. Then once warm will occasionaly be difficult to select 1st or reverse. Actually I think the clutch is not fully disengaging as I can get a tweak of drive out of it off the synchros when it's having trouble going into gear.

My power-streering has developed a whistle when turning corners.

Have to get the dealer onto both of those.

such is life :)

I so love driving this thing, and nothing major is wrong, just niggles.

This is my 5th brand new car, and the most trouble by far :p

...but all pales into insignificance next to a 10 yr old Jaguar XJ6 III I owned for 5 years. My bills show and average repair cost of $1800/yr over that time :eek:

digifish

Wraith
15th April 2007, 03:52 PM
Overall
Solid feeling car, nice drive, but it is a car and will break down, question is when. Would I buy another one - yes but a turbo convertible. These seem to have fewer problems than the 2.2s

Glad to hear that, hope it's true as I intend keeping my turbo vert for ever :)

So far mine has no problems, no rattles or squeaks etc. to complain about, but then again it's rarely driven and pampered silly on and off the road :o

It could also be because I've taken apart the entire interior (I mean everything) for my ICE and gadgets installations and then IMHO put it back together much better than it was before, making sure everything was tight, no uneccessary gaps or open holes, sound deadning, no missing fasteners, etc, etc. :)

As to your oil probs, I've never heard of that before on any Astra G, the most common prob I know of is air cons and water pumps dying prematurely.

Also from what I've heard - I could be wrong though - is that the 1.8ltr engined variants suffer the most faults, but this could be because they are the most numerous out there.... :rolleyes:

Bill_G
15th April 2007, 04:53 PM
the only bet for this guy to get his money back is a insurence scamYep, my thoughts exactly. Park it overnight at [insert favourite sleazy suburb here] and problem solved. ;)

tim_
16th April 2007, 10:41 PM
The worst I've ever heard regarding these cars to date is some cases of water leakage and too high a wind noise at freeway speeds !

glad i didn't get one instead! i nearly got rid of my AH for one! and all the driving i do is freeway, and i love my loud music haha

Wraith
17th April 2007, 08:53 AM
If you get yourself a good condition s/h example or new one (I believe they're are still some available) you won't have any wind noise issues, I certainly don't with mine ;)

Besides, if you like your music loud, it don't matter - I'm with you on that one, I have a custom ICE install with over 1000W RMS, wind noise or not, it won't be noticed anyway lol :D

imay
17th April 2007, 10:41 AM
Simple solution if "wind noise" in a convertible is such a serious problem for anyone . . . SLOW DOWN! Only need to bleed off about 5 kmh to solve the problem. This also gives you the chance to sit back and REALLY enjoy what a convertible is all about . . . enjoying the experience.
If you are going to be troubled by things like wind ruffling your coiffured locks and a little bit of extra noise, you never really wanted a convertible in the first place! These cars are to be enjoyed for what they are, not worrying about what their "drawbacks" might be. It's a unique experience that you can't replicate in any car with a roof over your head.
Nothing better than cruising (at a relaxed speed) along a country road, passing under a tree canopy and hearing birds calling overhead, or experiencing an uninterrupted (no B or C pillars) panoramic view as you cruise a coastline.

Try it, if you don't like it . . . get a roof like everyone else!

Wraith
17th April 2007, 11:32 AM
Ian, reading what you wrote up there made me feel so euphoric for a little while :o

You are right, cruising with the top down on a very warm night or on a beautiful sunny day in the country sure is a breath taking experience I enjoy very much :)

The TS Astra convertible does have a certain charisma to it, that's for sure, like I've said numerous times, I've had better more exspensive cars and I will continue to acquire other cars which will be better than the vert, but despite that, I'm never going to part with it - that's saying alot for the type ;)

Tfer
17th April 2007, 11:42 AM
I can sort of understand where this guy is coming from, but do not know if he is legit or not.... my old Veccy B (bought new) went in for warranty work 36 times, and actually seemed to have spent more time off the road, than on. You name it, things were replaced, such as:

Airbags
Steering wheel
Steering column
Radiator
Engine block
Headlight
Dash instrumentation
CD player
Rear shocks
Rear springs (factory installed upside down)
Gearbox
ABS stuff
Passenger front seatSo go figure..... got to know the dealership service people really rather well :rolleyes: (obviously the old Veccy was a Monday or Friday build)

But I bought the Veccy C without comparison, and have not looked back :D

*touches lots of wood*