PDA

View Full Version : Magma Red vs Power Red

SIMid
28th March 2007, 08:42 AM
After a few slagging the dislike of the Magma Red colour, here are a couple of pics of Power Red to end the argument.

Not much difference in colour (note the cloudy day). :rolleyes: Nearly the same IMO.

http://i10.tinypic.com/4c3a9w0.jpg
http://i10.tinypic.com/2hdcn15.jpg

Wraith
28th March 2007, 09:33 AM
So that picture of your new Astra represents 'power red' ??

Looks good and does seem a little darker than the magma red :rolleyes:

I'll have to come to your place with my Cali and compare them up close and next to each other Simon.

But as you said, could just be the lower light levels of the overcast day.

BTW with regard to this slagging magma red business, I remember about 2 years ago on the Cali forum, the subject of prefered car colour came up and as I remember at that time, everybody who didn't own a red Calibra slagged that colour and that included a certain somebody who used to own a white Cali.........but who now owns a red Astra and has come to love red LOL :D

You turn coat :p LOL

SIMid
28th March 2007, 09:46 AM
So BTW with regard to this slagging magma red business, I remember about 2 years ago on the Cali forum, the subject of prefered car colour came up and as I remember at that time, everybody who didn't own a red Calibra slagged that colour and that included a certain somebody who used to own a white Cali.........but who now owns a red Astra and has come to love red LOL :D

I didnt slag the red, just said that the lead content in the red paint back then caused the colour to fade quickly, hence why so many Red Calis' are faded. Hell, I nearly bought a red Cali cause they looked so nice. Just the one I had found had electrical & mech issues. The next best Cali was white and the rest was history. :dance:

Todays quality of paint is a hell of a lot different compared to 10 years ago.

Certain cars look good in certain colours. I personally have seen pics of the Astra Coupe in white and I dont think it suits it at all.

Don't forget, I have a Lancia Spyder in Rossa Corsa. ;)

SIMid
28th March 2007, 09:49 AM
So that picture of your new Astra represents 'power red' ??

Nope, Magma Red. The dealer told me that the colour was marginal in difference and I saw a Twintop in Power Red, hardly any difference.

Wraith
28th March 2007, 09:55 AM
I see.

If there's hardly any difference in appearance, maybe it's a different type/quality of paint and they've given it a different name to identify it from the previous red colour....maybe :rolleyes:

poita
28th March 2007, 11:19 AM
yer it looks like there is bugger all difference between them at all.
power red is more than likely a slight change in pgment, therefor needng a new name for it.

Red AH SRI T
28th March 2007, 08:07 PM
Only difference is that Power Red doesn't have the slight orange to it that Magma Red does.

poita
28th March 2007, 10:25 PM
and u only see that under lights at night time

Red AH SRI T
29th March 2007, 07:54 AM
or under showroom lights (which is where i am all day) or if the two are parked directly next to each other, but its mostly under lights, cause seeing the two next to each other in day light it is very hard to notice any difference at all.

Wraith
29th March 2007, 09:30 AM
Only difference is that Power Red doesn't have the slight orange to it that Magma Red does.

Alright then - that's a big/major difference and about time it got addressed !

I'm wrapped to hear that, the only big complaint I've ever had with the magma red is exactly that, the orange hue you get under certain lighting conditions...the whole fading business is a mute point, as this all depends on how well the individual owner looks after his car !

woody
29th March 2007, 10:06 AM
i can't see the pics ( only imageshack is unblocked at my work) so i can't comment on the colour.. wraith.. i belive you mean a moot point not a mute point..

Moot = doubtful

Mute = unspeaking

sorry but i'm a stickler for the correct use of adjective.

Wraith
29th March 2007, 10:12 AM
Yes, thanks for the correction :)

I must have been thinking my stereo was too loud :D

woody
29th March 2007, 10:17 AM
Yes, thanks for the correction :)

I must have been thinking my stereo was too loud :D

phone probably rang and you had to hit mute to answer it... using your hands free of course... :D

CJB
29th March 2007, 10:32 AM
Ash's car is always being referred to as being orange.

I.E That hot orange Astra. Im like wtf.

I dont mind it. It's a bit brighter.

Wraith
29th March 2007, 10:43 AM
Yeh, I can relate to that, people keep telling me "your Calibra looks orange" whenever it's parked under street lights at night, not that there's anything wrong with orange duco, but I'd like my Cali to look red all the time :)

CJB
29th March 2007, 10:44 AM
but on the other hand it really does stump people, and they think you have some awesome paint job :D

Wraith
29th March 2007, 11:08 AM
Yes, for a solid colour, it almost has the properties of a 'flip' metallic pearl :)

SIMid
29th March 2007, 12:09 PM
Everyone who has seen my Astra has never commented that "only if the red was darker."

I reckon it suits it. Makes it stand out. :dance:

Wraith
29th March 2007, 01:26 PM
I agree Simon, darker would be nice, but as is - is good too :)

It's the orange-ish in there we don't want at all - power red's the go :)

SIMid
29th March 2007, 06:25 PM

You and the minority. :p

Re-read my first line Wraith, your jumping to conclusions too quickly ......... has never commented

bornwild
29th March 2007, 07:16 PM
I must be color blind, I can't see shit all difference :|

Red AH SRI T
30th March 2007, 08:49 AM

The pics don't really show the difference. You need to see the two side by side.

Wraith
30th March 2007, 10:10 AM

As stated before, visually under normal daylight there isn't much if any of a difference between magma red and power red.

So far the only difference pointed out is that the power red dosn't have or give off an orange-ish hue under certain lighting conditions like magma red.

To see this you need to put a magma red car under street lights at night or on a very bright sunny day and then the orange-ish glow is very obvious.

I'll have to re-post pics I put up a while back of a magma red VXR taken on a very sunny day, just like my magma red Calibra, the orange glow is very clear to see !!!

P.S. Simon I did read your post correctly (in my mind anyways) what I was suggesting in my reply is that darker would be nicer in my opinion, ie: my choice, no one has ever told me that my magma red Cali would be nicer if darker, nor have I ever asked anyone the question, but 'I' think it would be nicer if it was darker and most certainly if it lost the orange in it ;)

Hence why I said before and I'll say it again - power red is the go :)

SIMid
30th March 2007, 11:28 AM
As
To see this you need to put a magma red car under street lights at night or on a very bright sunny day and then the orange-ish glow is very obvious.

I'll have to re-post pics I put up a while back of a magma red VXR taken on a very sunny day, just like my magma red Calibra, the orange glow is very clear to see !!!

darker would be nicer in my opinion, ie: my choice, no one has ever told me that my magma red Cali would be nicer if darker, nor have I ever asked anyone the question, but 'I' think it would be nicer if it was darker and most certainly if it lost the orange in it ;)

:boohoo: :rolleyes:

Wynnston
30th March 2007, 10:17 PM
Is power red classed as a metalic paint, when magma red isn't?

Not that I know what that means lol, someone else mentioned it to me thats all.

poita
31st March 2007, 12:02 AM

P.S. Simon I did read your post correctly (in my mind anyways) what I was suggesting in my reply is that darker would be nicer in my opinion, ie: my choice, no one has ever told me that my magma red Cali would be nicer if darker, nor have I ever asked anyone the question, but 'I' think it would be nicer if it was darker and most certainly if it lost the orange in it ;)

first you say its the colour we want, then u say its the best colour in your opinion.
come on ange, make ur mind up :p:p

SIMid
31st March 2007, 08:23 AM
At the end of the day, U can only get a new Astra in Power Red. No other choice available. ;)

Unless U want a rare Astra in Magma Red. :dance: :clap:

Ishley
31st March 2007, 09:41 AM
At the end of the day, U can only get a new Astra in Power Red. No other choice available. ;)

Unless U want a rare Astra in Magma Red. :dance: :clap:
Us Magma red Astra folk must stick together SIMid ;)

GO TEAM MAGMA RED
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

poita
31st March 2007, 11:24 AM
wooohooo we have another, welcome to our club.
simon and i welcome you along to this exclusive club for the non-haters :p

TEAM MAGMA RED!!!

Ishley
31st March 2007, 02:33 PM
wooohooo we have another, welcome to our club.
simon and i welcome you along to this exclusive club for the non-haters :p

TEAM MAGMA RED!!!
lol "Magma Red, the original. All the others are just copying"

SIMid
31st March 2007, 05:27 PM
:clap: :dance: :clap: :dance: :clap:

I'm changing my sig. :p

Wraith
1st April 2007, 08:29 AM
Sorry for any confusion guys, I'll take the 'we' back and state 'I' :)

But please don't get me wrong, I do like the magma red and I've mentioned that over and over, I too am a member of the magma red club ;)

When I decided to purchase my Cali, it had to be red, no other colour looks as good for one IMHO.

If power red is available across the range now, that's good, Opel must have decided to change it for some reason or another, maybe it's got to do with what we've been discussing here :rolleyes:

BTW for the person asking if power red is metallic - that would be nice, but no it's a solid red colour....