PDA

View Full Version : HSA - Hill Start Assist

Mainframe_Module
26th March 2007, 01:07 PM
Does anyone know if the 07 astras coming to aus will have HSA? or the option for it? as ive read that the updated models in uk and such get it.
im assuming they are all the same basically and just rebadged so that it should be possible here?

im really interested in this feature as thats the only part of driving a manual i am still a bit nervous about, im okay most of the time...but id feel safer knowing i had this, and i probably would opt for it if given the option...i think alot of people would so i cant immagine why holden would cut it out.

after reading a bit about it online, it seems pretty cool imo.

btm
26th March 2007, 01:26 PM
i dont like the feature... feels strange after driving a manual for so many years

just my opinion though

InsaneAsylum
26th March 2007, 01:34 PM
what? hill start assist... there's a feature to do this?

if you want a tip for hillstarts. forget that your handbrake is on, try to take of normally, once you feel that your car is pulling forward, drop the handbrake without taking your foot off the gas and you should go straight forward without any problems.

btm
26th March 2007, 01:36 PM
what? hill start assist... there's a feature to do this?

if you want a tip for hillstarts. forget that your handbrake is on, try to take of normally, once you feel that your car is pulling forward, drop the handbrake without taking your foot off the gas and you should go straight forward without any problems.
there sure is. my old mans forester has it

what you described above is basically exactly what this 'feature' does - just automatically

InsaneAsylum
26th March 2007, 02:36 PM
so i'm not a lazy prick? :p

bornwild
26th March 2007, 03:22 PM
so i'm not a lazy prick? :p

Don't be silly :p

Poogene2001
26th March 2007, 05:15 PM
Ive heard of this new feature called "learn to drive manual properly".
Its part of the "learn how to drive" package offered by most driving instructors. Comes bundled with the "look left AND right before you pull out" feature and the "check your mirrors before you merge" feature.

However if you really want your car to do all these things for you, maybe you could try taking the bus.... :cool:

Mainframe_Module
26th March 2007, 06:13 PM
oh for fark sake, forgive me for not being elite enough to want to smash into somone behind me.
i KNOW how to do hill starts, it just makes me nervous like i stated above.
and given the option, id prefer to not have to mess around with it.
i was simply asking if anyone knew if this would be an option. i never said it was better than doing it properly.

so poogene2001 do you have reverse sensors? stability control? brake assist?....i could tell you to learn to drive properly on all of those counts too.

so err..no.

blueraven
26th March 2007, 06:19 PM
"learn to drive manual properly".
"learn how to drive"

+1

the amount of things i see people do on the road is frighteneing. If you dont have the confidence to do the basic things (like hillstarts) then you really should think wether you should be on the road or not. Maybe try an advanced driving course to help with your confidence on the road?

Rhino
26th March 2007, 06:20 PM
I'm not convinced that the AU market will see such things as HSA... (I would love to be proven wrong)

In the past, Holden have dropped little features like this from their lineup and I think this is another one... The AH ('06) was supposed to come with it...

Mainframe... don't take it personally... some of these people are the best drivers in Australia. And if you want a second opinion, ask them again.

InsaneAsylum, if you bought a car that had this feature, would you still use your handbrake? I would suggest not. So ability doesn't outway availabililty...

Words.... Maybe try an advanced driving course to help with your confidence on the road?
Good to see we got something constructive out of you in the end NIK.

Further to this... When ABS was introduced... did everyone get flamed for not being able to threshold brake? I think not. But now it is something that almost every car has... and we don't think twice about it... So get over yourselves.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could help eachother instead of being a bunch of keyboard warriors? Just a thought.

Mainframe_Module
26th March 2007, 06:28 PM
i know how to drive, why the hell does being interested in a feature like this automatically imply that i dont?

as i said, i can do hill starts.
they make me nervous.
and thats the reason im still learning manual, that i currently have an automatic, and that im still practicing before buying said manual
if anything i think that makes me a pretty responsible driver.
gah.

Mainframe_Module
26th March 2007, 06:38 PM
I'm not convinced that the AU market will see such things as HSA... (I would love to be proven wrong)

In the past, Holden have dropped little features like this from their lineup and I think this is another one... The AH ('06) was supposed to come with it...

cheers....thats all i was after, i didnt want to argue.
just curious

:)

bornwild
26th March 2007, 06:41 PM
Bunch of hero-talk.....yeah HSA would be a nice feature :), like ESP, ABS, ECD, PSM, BSM and all the others are....yea Michael Schumacher should learn how to drive if he needs ESP....what a noob he is, right?

blueraven
26th March 2007, 07:11 PM
Hey i was trying to be helpful, alot of really dangerous things can happen when people are nervous or not confident about certain situations on the road. I wasnt having a go, i think everyone should undergo an advanced driving course, or be forced to ride a motorbike for a year (Rhino will back me up here hopefully), because riding a motrobike will really open your eyes about road safety, and also let you see just how bad alot of people are on the road. Its all about awareness, and nothingn helps increase your awareness more than knowing any one of these idoits on the road can give you a whack and turn you into street pizza.

Seriously, i fyou think being nervous is a problem then either practice a bunch of times in a freinds manual until you feel more confident, or get some more training be it professional or otherwise. If you think a car with a feature that does everything for is the way to go, then so be it.

and michael schumacher wouldnt need abs. so ner :P

oneightoo
26th March 2007, 07:48 PM
forget about all the flaming mate..

dude, after you do a few you'll get your confidence up..

i wasnt very confident when i first drove manual.. i learned on auto and switched to manual when i bought my first new car (an 03 astra city) i also learnt to drive manual on this car.. i actually dreaded stopping on hills..

but bust out a few, and you get your confidence.. once you get it down pat you wonder what you were worried about..

maybe try a few on some vacant hilly roads late at night or something..

pred8r
26th March 2007, 08:01 PM
Find the worst hill in your area and practice.
If you practice on not-so-steeps you will still get butterflies.

Like learning to drive a manual, learn on a sudden death clutch setup. (those were the days :))

Mainframe_Module
26th March 2007, 08:53 PM
yeah i can usually do them without even the handbrake, unless somone is right on my ass.

but theres still that niggling thought in the back of my head thats like "AAHRGHRGHR WHAT IF I ROLL BACK AND SMASH INTO SOMONE?!"
but yeah, ill definately be getting alot more practice in before i buy one, i really love it in all other aspects though.

ah well

and blueraven, i wasnt having a go at you dude :)...that was more directed towards somone else :P

stevedee3
26th March 2007, 09:40 PM
The problem comes when you go to do a hill start and forget that you're still in neutral... :o

xplosv57
26th March 2007, 09:47 PM
LOL i practiced my hill starts on the steepest hill in my area in my old RX7!! After a few 4000rpm launches, which resulted in a hell of alot of smoke and tail action, i eventually got used to it and the handbrake is never used for hill starts nowadays for me!!!

BMW has the hill start feature on all its M cars with the SMG gearbox, a handy tool since theres no clutch to balance in them!!!

How does the conventional manual one work???

Poogene2001
26th March 2007, 10:02 PM
Geeebuz, talk about making it sound like im manual driving's Hitler.
All i was implying is that the more we rely on technology to do things that we can easily do ourselves (with some care, practice and good tuition) the more we distance ourselves from the pleasure of driving.
I love nothing more than chirping my tyres when over-revving on a steep hill. If you want the safety of not rolling back on hills why not stick with an auto? You still get to press some pedals and turn the steering wheel sometimes!

P.S I agree totally with blueraven, confidence and decisiveness is what too many people lack on the roads (and it scares the crap out of me being behind/next to/infront of those people).

Oh and no, i dont have reverse sensors, EBD, ESP or STD's (incase you were wondering) :p

Rhino
26th March 2007, 10:58 PM
AFAIK it's simply brakes mate.

When the car is on > x degrees, when you take your foot off the brake, it holds the pressure until you activate the throttle (and I think after a second or two also)... which ever comes first...

Will try and dig up some info.

InsaneAsylum
26th March 2007, 11:47 PM
Geeebuz, talk about making it sound like im manual driving's Hitler.
All i was implying is that the more we rely on technology to do things that we can easily do ourselves (with some care, practice and good tuition) the more we distance ourselves from the pleasure of driving.
I love nothing more than chirping my tyres when over-revving on a steep hill. If you want the safety of not rolling back on hills why not stick with an auto? You still get to press some pedals and turn the steering wheel sometimes!

P.S I agree totally with blueraven, confidence and decisiveness is what too many people lack on the roads (and it scares the crap out of me being behind/next to/infront of those people).

Oh and no, i dont have reverse sensors, EBD, ESP or STD's (incase you were wondering) :p

that's what i was getting at too... but everyone thought i was being a cnut

Apex
27th March 2007, 10:11 AM
Does anyone know if the 07 astras coming to aus will have HSA? or the option for it? as ive read that the updated models in uk and such get it.
im assuming they are all the same basically and just rebadged so that it should be possible here?

im really interested in this feature as thats the only part of driving a manual i am still a bit nervous about, im okay most of the time...but id feel safer knowing i had this, and i probably would opt for it if given the option...i think alot of people would so i cant immagine why holden would cut it out.

after reading a bit about it online, it seems pretty cool imo.

Not to sure if they do, I wouldn’t worry as the Astra is a very easy car to drive anyhow:) .

My fiancé had been driving for 7 years but had never driven a manual up until we brought the Astra so she had a driving lesson and now she’s a pro, she only staled the car a couple of times in the first week.

As mentioned the biggest thing will be practicing to build confidence.

Vectra V6
29th March 2007, 01:34 PM
I recieved my VXR overnight and being my first manual I couldn't help being a little nervous. I have been stalling it even on level terrain, still haven't found the clutch point out of first, but once I do I should be right.

For the meantime I will be learning on a mates car, don't want to burn the clutch too soon. I really underestimated the benefits of driving a manual, and now that I have one, I wonder why I ever drove an auto.....