PDA

View Full Version : Wheels for AH Astra

AHSAM
24th March 2007, 01:31 PM
I'm just about to pickup a Black 2006 AH Astra and am keen to put some 17" rims on for the wife, i dont want chrome!!, am happy to put on a factory option wheel, but i am struggling to find rims that fit and that someone has a photo of, please help, show us yours and give me some ideas.

dustbug
24th March 2007, 01:35 PM
Get the 18" SRi Turbo rims

Saw them on a normal 1.8 AH and looks very nice!

AHSAM
24th March 2007, 01:47 PM
agreed, i'm just afraid that they will break the bank!!, i think they are upwards of $2500

dustbug
24th March 2007, 02:45 PM
Ye and thats just for the rims let alone the tyres

May see if someone has a SRi turbo and wants aftermarkets rims you could buy theres, but i doubt anyone would want to. They are such nice rims too.

dieselhead
24th March 2007, 02:48 PM
i paid $2,700 for my 18" upgrade. a fair price imho, considering how the car sits on the road, and how it handles. plus they're a breeze to clean. oh, last but not least, just look at them! :)

DirtyHarry
24th March 2007, 04:50 PM
geee thats a bit pricey..
did you keep the original wheels that came with the car? or did the dealer do a shifty and keep them?

dieselhead
24th March 2007, 05:39 PM
that's what i paid for the wheels and a set of Goodyear Eagle F1 225/40/R18. the stock 16" and tyres remained at the dealership :)
sure, is not cheap, but the alternative was a set of aftermarket 18" (probably Speedywheels Light 7) for $1,400, set of brand tyres another $1,600 and the trouble selling the stock 16".
but think a few facts for a minute: the OEM rims look so good and will add to the car's resale value. also, there are no worries they won't fit properly or that tyres might be scrubbing at full lock. moreover, the insurance premium did not increase, since the car was bought with them on, and they are genuine Holden parts.
now you see is not quite a bad deal, after considering all of the above.

entice
24th March 2007, 07:11 PM
I agree.. OEM wheels as an option when upsizing is a good idea. It saves all the hassles of legality, as well as wheel weights. The factory 18's are fairly light, as far as 18's go (Granted, not as light as teh cromodora's of teh ferrari and fiat/a;fa's of the 70's... as they were magnesium). Now, consider handling. Each Kilo saved in a wheel equates to double that in kerb weight. so, save 5 kilo's total in wheels, you save 10kg equivalent in kerb weight. This all helps in handling, acceleration, braking etc.

furtehr, there are no issues with legality, or warranty. Resale is easy.. it is far easier to sell the genuine wheels later on if you so choose to, reather than get peanuts for some aftermarket korean alternative.

My 18's cost me 2K, the tyres around 1K. I kept the factory 16's and sold them separately.... I had Bridgestone Potenza G3's fitted on mine (but I had "special" pricing on wheels and tyres, hence they cost me less than most others.) There is nothing to stop you becoming friendly with the spare parts guys or even shopping around and bying the wheels as a spare part and having your own tyres fitted. Oh, you also get bonus points on your GM mastercard for buying them thru spares.

NOW, more importantly. If you do fit the aftermarket 18's, make sure you then do teh following:
1. Speed limit your spare (to comply with ADR) with an 80km/h sticker available from spares
2. get the correct placard to add to the original one to allow for different load rated tyres (this allows for 87 load rating I think)

I had the part numbers for these somewhere.. I handed them to another forum member... perhaps he can assist if required...

AHSAM
24th March 2007, 07:40 PM
Thanks gents, i think that there is no chance i'll be putting on the 18s, so what factory 17" options are available, and again whos got photos.

EL BURITO
24th March 2007, 08:02 PM
http://www.holden.com.au///images/uploads/images/new_astra/accessories/img_17_inch_5_spoke_alloy.jpg http://www.holden.com.au///images/uploads/images/new_astra/accessories/img_17_inch_10_spoke_alloy.jpg

there $1319 then there is the ones on the 2.2 SRI aswell

MK
24th March 2007, 08:38 PM
NOW, more importantly. If you do fit the aftermarket 18's, make sure you then do teh following:
1. Speed limit your spare (to comply with ADR) with an 80km/h sticker available from spares
2. get the correct placard to add to the original one to allow for different load rated tyres (this allows for 87 load rating I think)

I had the part numbers for these somewhere.. I handed them to another forum member... perhaps he can assist if required...

correct! i have updated the PARTS DATABASE in the Knowledge Base :)

AHSAM
27th March 2007, 09:44 PM
Are the 17s and optional 18s from the Twintop the same stud pattern, offset, etc?? No dramas in bolting them straight on??

CJB
27th March 2007, 09:47 PM
Get these ones :D

http://i3.tinypic.com/483wlrt.jpg

optional 18"s and mine is just the 1.8 CDX.

Although a good lowering makes all the difference. It's a hot wheel for a genuine Holden product IMO. Looks even better then most aftermarket mags out there.

EL BURITO
27th March 2007, 10:00 PM
Are the 17s and optional 18s from the Twintop the same stud pattern, offset, etc?? No dramas in bolting them straight on??
all the AH wheels fit on the models

Wraith
28th March 2007, 09:39 AM
ALL Astra convertibles are 5 stud - TS and AH !

So yes all the wheels are interchangeable amongst 5 stud AH's...

My 2 cents worth on this topic - go aftermarket, you'll get a 'better' looking set of mags for your AH for 'less cost' than any factory wheels and it'll make your AH look unique instead of looking the same as everybody elses !!!

opelboy
28th March 2007, 08:46 PM
if interested i will have my astra turbo rims n tyres up for sale very soon! will have less then 500kms on them with no marks brand new :)