PDA

View Full Version : ride heights?

li@m
22nd March 2007, 09:04 PM
i'm looking at getting some new wheels for my xc barina - preferably some 17's but i can't get the car lowered...my insurer wont let me do any modifications so a new exhaust is out too.

what i'm wondering is if i put 17's on, will the car look like it's up on stilts or will it look fairly normal but with the guards nicely filled out?

someone also mentioned not being able to go more than 2" taller and 1" wider, so technically i'm allowed to go 16x8...but my insurer wont allow anything wider than the standard wheels - didn't say anything about going more than 2" taller? any ideas?

thanks for any help!

MatsHolden
22nd March 2007, 09:28 PM
The cars ride height will NOT change as long as you get the correct profile tyres to keep the overall diameter the same...

EL BURITO
22nd March 2007, 10:35 PM
http://www.opelaus.com/forum/%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f95/WA04SXi/OPELAUS%201/P1010020.jpg%5B/IMG%5Dthats 18's and not lowered. cant find a pic of mine before on 17s befor i lowered but mat should have one.
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f95/WA04SXi/cyclonic.jpg
16's not lowered.

that help

JR
22nd March 2007, 10:37 PM
i went frm 14s to 17s, n the overall rolling diameter is pretty much the same.

u shouldn't have any issues with insurance going more than 2 inches. wat they won't accept is if u go wider than wat they say, in my case - wheel can be no wider than 7 inch.

most insurers allow up to two modifications. who u using now?

EL BURITO
22nd March 2007, 10:38 PM
most insurers allow up to two modifications. who u using now?

serious i can do wat ever i want but i pay for it

MatsHolden
22nd March 2007, 10:39 PM
That's mine with the 17's not lowered yet. Ride height no different to when I had the stock 15" alloys on as I got the correct profile.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/MatsHolden/DSC09521.jpg

li@m
22nd March 2007, 10:51 PM
thanks guys - i'm with allianz now...cheapest i could find, although it's not much cheaper than i was paying for the astra sri! they wont allow any modifications to the car - probably a good thing as i'm trying to save money.

these are the wheels i'm looking at so far -

http://www.tempetyres.com.au/content/products/bg_CRW_1246_RT8.jpg http://www.tempetyres.com.au/content/products/CRW_0669_RT8.jpg

second ones are fairly similar to the sxi wheels so they shouldn't look too bad on it. both are 17x7.

jerrypufflewell
22nd March 2007, 11:53 PM
Aren't wheels a modification?

blueraven
22nd March 2007, 11:55 PM
no not usually, they are an accessory.

Just car ftw. I can do literally whatever i want, and they are the same price as everyone else.

xplosv57
23rd March 2007, 10:28 AM
Go choice 2, i love those wheels, and should have them now, but got stuffed around!!!! What colour is your car???

li@m
23rd March 2007, 05:40 PM
no not usually, they are an accessory.

Just car ftw. I can do literally whatever i want, and they are the same price as everyone else.

wheels are counted as a non standard accessory according to allianz so means i can change them as long as they're not wider than 7".

i had my mx-5 insured through just car insurance...was costing $1200 a year. i got the barina priced and they quoted $1050 - wasn't going to pay that much for a barina! my astra sri was only $600 through aami.

Go choice 2, i love those wheels, and should have them now, but got stuffed around!!!! What colour is your car???

it's magma red, so i'm even considering some chrome ones but they're a bit too much for my liking. where were you getting them from?

EL BURITO
23rd March 2007, 07:29 PM
i had my mx-5 insured through just car insurance...was costing $1200 a year.

lol thats wat mine costs.
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

li@m
23rd March 2007, 08:00 PM
lol thats wat mine costs.
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

$1200 a year for a barina?! makes me rather glad to be closer to 25 than 21! have you checked any other places?

MatsHolden
23rd March 2007, 08:34 PM
yeh 1100 for me this year... but that's because you pay for the privelage of being able to do unlimited modifications.

pred8r
23rd March 2007, 10:39 PM
Go AAMI and take the huge excess option. (took mine from $1200+ down to $450 - with a $2k excess)

Also regardless to who you are with;
Remove the free windscreen option.
Name and limit the drivers to yourself and over 25/30s

MatsHolden
23rd March 2007, 11:12 PM
Go AAMI and take the huge excess option. (took mine from $1200+ down to $450 - with a $2k excess)

Also regardless to who you are with;
Remove the free windscreen option.
Name and limit the drivers to yourself and over 25/30s

Yeh I was with AAMI with the higher excess option for a lower premium, but I couldn't do anything to the car.

xplosv57
23rd March 2007, 11:21 PM
it's magma red, so i'm even considering some chrome ones but they're a bit too much for my liking. where were you getting them from?

I was getting them off another member, but you can get them fairly cheap from Tempe tyres, easier for you as well since youre in NSW, id have to get them shipped over!!!

EL BURITO
24th March 2007, 12:59 AM
$1200 a year for a barina?! makes me rather glad to be closer to 25 than 21! have you checked any other places?
have a look at my list of mods.
yes i can get a slightly cheaper put i pay for the mods and will be looking seeing as insurence is up in a few months.
Named drives are myself and my dad only.

WLD-18L
25th March 2007, 04:20 PM
my insurance policy just came through from GIO. and they said 1500 ! im gonna ask around a few other companies and see what they have to say.

platypus
25th March 2007, 04:41 PM
someone also mentioned not being able to go more than 2" taller and 1" wider, so technically i'm allowed to go 16x8...but my insurer wont allow anything wider than the standard wheels - didn't say anything about going more than 2" taller? any ideas?

thanks for any help!

you'll also note that your insurance won't pay if your car was found to be un roadworthy at the time of your accident - this will include those rims that are more than 2" taller

just some food for thought

DEE-80Y
26th March 2007, 04:27 PM
I picked up my wheels and tyres from tempe tyres, they have really good prices. they are 17x7 and dont rub the guards, i also found that it raised it just slightly, as when i had the standard 15' wheels on my front was rubbing on speed humps. now with the 17's on, i clear all the speed humps i was once rubbing.

li@m
26th March 2007, 05:15 PM
i just saw a black barina with similar wheels to the ones i'm looking at (except they had 6 spoke and chrome) which didn't look too bad so maybe i'll get the 7 spokes...

i just got this from the rta vsi no 9 'guidelines for alternative wheels and tyres' -

Wheels up to 26mm wider than the largest optional wheel recommended by the vehicle manufacturer for the
vehicle can be fitted without the need to notify the RTA.
The outside diameter of the wheel and tyre combination must be no more than 15mm over the largest diameter
wheel and tyre combination specified for the vehicle and not more than 15mm below the smallest diameter wheel
and tyre combination specified for the vehicle.

from reading that, everything is legal as long as the overall diameter doesn't change by more than 15mm which shouldnt happen if low profile tyres are used. i'm going to give the rta inspectors a ring tmr and see what they have to say just to be sure though.

windows tinted tmr, new wheels and possibly opel badges over the easter holidays. as dicky as the exhaust looks, i'll leave that for now so i dont have to muck about with insurances again...see what happens next year though if i keep the car that long.