PDA

View Full Version : astra coupe sunroof?

Mainframe_Module
21st March 2007, 11:18 PM
Just wondering if anyone knew why holden hasnt offered a sunroof as an option on the coupe? obviously id get it done somewhere else for cheaper than would cost to get one done by them.

but just wondering if anyone knew if there is...i dont know...a support beam or SOMETHING in the way that would make it unsafe for the coupe to have one? i cant think of any logical reason why there would be.

just that if i end up getting the coupe in a few months like planned, a sunroof would be something id like to get in the future, and wanted to know why they offered it on the 5 door hatch and not on the coupe

*shrugs*...just thought i'd ask :)

MatsHolden
21st March 2007, 11:54 PM
Geebs has had one put in his VXR... So it can be done, but whether it should be done is another question...

Red AH SRI T
22nd March 2007, 07:42 AM
We use Prestige Sunroof's, who are holden approved to put Sunroofs into Astra's and we quiet often put them into coupes.

SIMid
22nd March 2007, 07:43 AM
I believe it's an option with some dealers.

If U get it done through Holden and something goes wrong down the track, U can always take it back and complain.

Wraith
22nd March 2007, 08:46 AM
ALL Holden sunroofs regardless of the type of car (for Melb. people) which are ordered as an option are installed by the HSV plant in Clayton, so if you want one as an option, you can have it :)

As Simon says :D at least that way you get full warranty on it.

So back to the question, if your ordering an AH coupe from Melb. anyways, a sunroof option is available.

Red AH SRI T
22nd March 2007, 08:05 PM
ALL Holden sunroofs regardless of the type of car (for Melb. people) which are ordered as an option are installed by the HSV plant in Clayton, so if you want one as an option, you can have it :)

So back to the question, if your ordering an AH coupe from Melb. anyways, a sunroof option is available.

Commodre Sunroof's are now fitted on the production line.

Geebs
22nd March 2007, 10:58 PM
I do have one in my VXR. The dealer at the time told me that Holden did not offer it as an option but they sent it away to an after market sunroof installer and got it done there.

They said they had put quite a few into coupes. Before the install I was hesitant as if you look at the inside of the roof in the coupe you think where the hell they gonna put it - but I must say, it looks brilliant and so far so good.

MatsHolden
22nd March 2007, 11:03 PM

Nope not on the Astras mate. :) But some dealers will offer it as an option but it's done by an external company...

SIMid
23rd March 2007, 08:20 AM
Nope not on the Astras mate. :) But some dealers will offer it as an option but it's done by an external company...

Prestige Sunroofs (Burwood somewhere I think) in Melb.

imay
23rd March 2007, 08:46 AM
Think you will find that the Opel Astra Coupe doesn't even get a sunroof offered as an option in Europe/UK. All other Astras do, but not the Coupe. No explanation, other than the Coupe is offered with the panoramic roof option now.

Aftermarket is the way to go . . . but make sure you receive (and follow) maintenance instructions to keep it in tip-top condition.

Of course, you could always get yourself the ULTIMATE sunroof . . . the TwinTop!

Wraith
23rd March 2007, 10:18 AM
This is all interesting, it may be the case that Holden are doing Commodores now on the production line since the new VE, but until now Clayton did all of them....

When I checked out the MPS 3, it too was not available with a sunroof option, but you could still get one installed if you really wanted it - it had something to do with 'undermining' the structural integrity, this may also be the case with AH coupes.....

As Ian said above, get yourself a hardtop vert if you want the ultimate sunroof :)

Red AH SRI T
23rd March 2007, 04:22 PM
When I checked out the MPS 3, it too was not available with a sunroof option, but you could still get one installed if you really wanted it - it had something to do with 'undermining' the structural integrity, this may also be the case with AH coupes.....
)

Not just the MPS or the AH, but every single car.

My thoughts are that unless a sunroof comes from the factory then its not worth cutting a hole in the middle of your pride and joy.

Wraith
23rd March 2007, 05:19 PM
From what I know, it's only the case if it cuts through a structural member.

If it's only a penetration through the outer skin and inner lining, this is the case with most if not all sedans and wagons, it'll be fine.

Regarding "sunroofs coming from the factory are fine" may not necessarily be the case.

As mentioned above, most sunroofs are factory fitted, BUT this does not mean the car was designed from the start with it......

The only way a car sunroof would have full integrity is if was designed from the onset and then the panels of the car are pressed/made 'off tool'

This would ensure both structural rigidity/integrity and corrosion resistance.

I believe the Calibra's sunroofs are such :)