PDA

View Full Version : Access to unregistered users

PaulTheBall
30th May 2004, 05:31 PM
To whom it may concern (TurBlue and co.)...

would it be possible to make all forums available to new users?

If you haven't signed up, or logged in, then you only get restricted content. It would be easy to think that thats all there is here. I think it would be nice to get all forums come up.

..yes I know there is a message about this in the New Member Information bit but I can't think of any good reason to hide messages from everyone else?

Paul.

The Sentinel
30th May 2004, 06:10 PM
I think most people who use forums these days would understand that you get restricted (if any) content until they sign up.

I can't say I have run a forum before, but I remember the days when I ran my BBS....Trouble-makers are less likely to leave stupid/abusive messages if they have to go through the "bother" of signing up.

Restricting access to a few groups means the "I hate Opel" people can be less of a pain.

Turblue
30th May 2004, 06:46 PM
Oh man..!!! Someone who remembers the BBS days before the Internet....!!!!

Never worried about access levels Paul. I personally can't see an issue with joining to view. If you can, I am certainly open to suggestions.

The Sentinel
30th May 2004, 07:24 PM
Oh man..!!! Someone who remembers the BBS days before the Internet....!!!!They were the good old days, hey? :-)

PaulTheBall
30th May 2004, 07:35 PM
I guess I'm just used to jumping on other forums and being able to see everything. The only restriction is that sometimes you have to be registered to search or post messages.

But if I'm the only one who prefers it that way then its cool... I can view/search/post anything so I can't really complain :D

Dregger
31st May 2004, 08:04 PM
it's mainly to prevent "guest" viewing things. Otheriwse nobody would join. To some extent by forcing ppl to join we are encouraging them become active members.

The Sentinel
31st May 2004, 09:11 PM
Speaking of guests and things, would it be worthwhile having a poll etc. asking people how they came across OpelAus? These sort of stats would prove useful in working out how we can make these forums more widely known.