PDA

View Full Version : Attitude to Speed

bones
20th March 2007, 09:53 AM
After some discussion on a now locked thread, I am interested in member's attitude to speed, particularly with respect to driving in traffic.

I voted for the fourth option, although the second is mostly applicable to me. I try to drive around 10-15km/h faster than the speed of the traffic flow. In this way I am, by and large, taking what is happening behind me out of the equation which allows me to devote a lot more of my concentration on what is going on ahead.
Driving through, rather than in, traffic also allows me to maintain a higher level of concentration than sitting in my car and waiting for the car in front to do something. I feel far more vulnerable to an accident when my mind starts to wander in traffic, especially peak-hour, so I try to keep myself "on the boil".
I also try to be conscious of not causing someone else to have an accident by clearly signaling my intentions well in advance. Again, this keeps my concentration up by trying to anticipate moves ahead of time, rather than just dashing into holes at the last minute like a lot of impatient people do in heavy traffic. I also prefer to take the long way around if it means that I am driving at decent speed, rather than sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic, even if it takes longer. e.g. I take a ridiculously long way around the back-streets of Drummoyne instead of sitting in traffic on Victoria Rd. I know for a fact it takes several minutes longer but it keeps my concentration up, which is more important to me.

Turblue
20th March 2007, 10:28 AM
I will make it very plain and clear here.

"As the Owner of this Domain, I will not condone illegal behaviour. Whether that be on our roads or not. Where I find posts relating to such behaviour, they will be dealt with by my Admin Team or me personally."

Speeding is illegal. There is no valid reason the average driver needs to exceed them.

End of story. Thread closed.

Turblue
20th March 2007, 03:00 PM
For those interested, The messages below are Bones PM to me, and my response.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
I honestly couldn't give a flying **** what you post on other forums. I am the owner, and I decide.

If you want to post shit about you speeding, which you know to be illegal, and use some bullshit excuse to justify it, then I will gladly cancel your Username.

If you don't like it, leave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bones
You're kidding, right? I can talk more openly on drive.com.au or any other blog on a commercial website. You cannot possibly believe that current speed laws are reasonable in any way, can you?

If this is the attitude of the moderators, it is little wonder this forum seems to attract ****-sticks. I think I lasted about a week when I first signed up before I got sick of the prevailing attitude and it looks like it has only got worse in the last 18 months or so since then. It is easily the most pathetic motoring-related forum I have ever participated in.

See ya!

BONES