PDA

View Full Version : Warning lights -- What's it all mean?

imay
19th March 2007, 08:35 AM
Started up my wife's 1.8 TS on Saturday morning. Didn't sound/feel real happy to start with, then I noticed the "Check Emission" light (the engine icon) was on. Oh, well, it's still going so I'll take a chance, I thought. Started off and then noticed the Traction Control light was on now as well. Still driveable but didn't want to accelerate too smartly. Got it back home and left it for a while (hoping it was going to go away so I didn't have to explain to my wife that I had stuffed her car!).
Went out later in the day and started it up. This time the "Check Engine" light (car and spanner icon) is on (only this one). Took it for a drive and it seems fine, other than this light is on.

What's the simple diagnosis, guys? What's it all mean?

Just thought I'd check in here, before I take it to my friendly Holden Service Centre to have a hole ripped in my back pocket!

DirtyHarry
19th March 2007, 09:24 AM
what it means is...you should connect it up to a scan tool or tech2 to find out what caused the light to come on and the car to go into limp mode.

Lt Ketch
19th March 2007, 09:40 AM
does the paperclip test work on the Astra?

JasonGilholme
19th March 2007, 09:46 AM
doubt it.

I know it works on my honda which is OBDII but has the more primitive plug (4 or 2 pint) where as the newer one has a 16 plug version.

auzvectra
19th March 2007, 09:49 AM
no the paperclip doesnt work on the obd2 fitted cars.
u need to find some1 close to you with a decent scan tool, send them a few $$$ instead of holden, and save a few $$$ ;).

auzvectra
19th March 2007, 10:02 AM
doubt it.

I know it works on my honda which is OBDII but has the more primitive plug (4 or 2 pint) where as the newer one has a 16 plug version.

WHAT THE......
are you sure it's obd2 compliant then????

JasonGilholme
19th March 2007, 10:38 AM
Yep!

its friggin stupid. The ECU and Engine sensor configuration is OBDII compliant but the diagnostic side isn't.

Story: The rest of the world went OBDII complient in 96 but australia didn't have to however they still got OBDII cars from other contries (ie japan) but didn't have the funds for high end diagnostic tools so they got the more primitive version of the diag. port. Kinda shit isn't it!!

Wraith
19th March 2007, 03:07 PM
I've heard about this sort of prob on quite a few 1.8ltr TS Astra's.

A good of mine had similar happen to his after it was about 5 years old and eventually it went from warning lights going on all the time to the car always stalling inadvertantly, it end up being the ecu throwing a wobbly.

Luckily for him, it was still under extended warranty and they replaced it, no problems since, hopefully yours will work out o.k also Ian...