PDA

View Full Version : Why Did You Buy An Opel

BJ31OS
18th March 2007, 12:33 AM
Hi

Thought it would be fun to find out why you bought an opel

Model : vectra jsa

The reason i bought mine is it looks beautiful cant beat the shape the lines and the sound of the engine wouldnt trade it in for the world

Alfonzo
18th March 2007, 12:42 AM
I'll bite :)

Model: Vectra JSIII

Why: Well I sold it in October last year, but I found it when I was at Holden scoping out a VX Calais. The size was better for me, the boot was perfect for my golf clubs, and it was a manual. Looked the part with the spoiler and aftermarket rims, looked reasonably standard but still reasonably personalised too. Later I was to find out the economy of the 2.2L was quite impressive on 98RON, and it absolutely loved long distance cruising. My dog, however, hated the contoured back seat. Which made the trip from Brisbane to Toowoomba a little long, as she wouldn't stop whimpering because she couldn't get comfortable.

But aside that, great car. Thoroughly enjoyed my time with it, even more when I threw out the shitty Monza 200 tyres :D

EL BURITO
18th March 2007, 02:27 AM
Corsa

I wanted a faster car than wat i had a 1L Alto, So i lookeds at a lancer then a pulsar then a Rodeo followed by Jimminy then a Barina and it stuck then It was available in so many colours as well as Dad loving his Cavalier to bits when he was my age.

DirtyHarry
18th March 2007, 09:30 AM
Astra G/TS.

Cause it was the only car i could steal at the time.

CJB
18th March 2007, 12:45 PM
Astra CDX

Because the Lancer wasn't cutting it, didn't have the build quality the Astra did, didn't have leather, wasn't the right colour, didn't drive as well as an Opel and the Astra is certainly something to look at, as not many people have them here (the 3 door coupe anyways). I previously had a Barina before the Lancer, and fell in love with Opel then (or actually my two Barina's before that I fell in love with it).

Calibrated
18th March 2007, 01:24 PM
well here's a list

'96 Opel Kadett 140iS: Kinda handed down from my mom...had to share the car with her. But it was fun to drive. Had some decent power for a 1400. Beautiful exhaust note.

'2001 Opel Corsa 1.6iS: Arent corsa's just super sexy! chick magnet of note! i mean, just look at this....
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b200/loudclearcorsa/Picture019.jpg

'1998 Opel Astra F 200iEuro: Needed a bigger car for work. And i was not going to move away from Opel. Decent Power. all the necessary extra's.
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b200/loudclearcorsa/mini-IMG_4666.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b200/loudclearcorsa/mini-IMG_4675.jpg

And on the way, 1993 Opel Calibra 2l 16v: The Sexiest Opel ever made! what more can be said...

mr corsa
18th March 2007, 01:27 PM
wanted sumthing different

xplosv57
18th March 2007, 01:50 PM
01' Astra CD

Because at the time it was the cheapest car on my list, it wasn't defectable and from what i had heard it was quite reliable and one of the safest cars on the road!!!

platypus
18th March 2007, 02:23 PM
astra f, wife didn't want me to have a vec b

InsaneAsylum
18th March 2007, 02:34 PM
vectra B

one of the best looking designs available when they first came out and deborah hutton used to do the adds, also a great upgrade from my old gemini.

one thing i still love about it is the interior comfort. the front buckets have remained firm and are still as comfortable to sit in as they were 7 years ago

nadg63
18th March 2007, 03:46 PM
A momentary lapse in sanity.

luvpsi
18th March 2007, 03:54 PM
Astra G SRI Turbo

Why: Because when I bought it 5 months ago it was the best value for the $$$ on the 4 cyl turbo market and is different to your average jap-mobile. The build and fit quality is also very good on OPELS.

maloo97
18th March 2007, 04:05 PM
Astra G

First car was a nissan pulsar, did the job but was not a fan. Back in 04 after getting my licence back I had about 3 cars i was interested in. Mazda 3 , Ford focas or the opel G.

Mazda 3 was awesome but just out of my price range
Oh ford my mate brought one and was not a fan
And well the astra was just right. Had everything i wanted as standed. Abs, Tracton controll , pwr etc, you know.
Plus price waz awesome as they were discounting to bring in the ah mods
euro cars rock too.

Ye Calibra:

Awesome car to drive.
Love the style of the car, 4 seater :) an the fact its not like there is a million out there like the astras

stevedee3
18th March 2007, 05:05 PM
Vectra CDXi

Because I wanted a manual V6, leather seats and ESP. There aren't too many cars meeting this spec without spending really big amounts. Oh, and a Commodore is just too big for me...

Misguidedangel
18th March 2007, 05:15 PM
Astra G 5dr
first car was a lancer coupe. i wrote that off, so my criteria for the next car was ABS, more than 2 doors, pwr mirrors and windows, and i found it all in an astra for a decent price and in an awesome colour.

sri guy
18th March 2007, 05:58 PM
:astra g sri 2.2

i needed to buy a late model low km car originally i looked at an 04 hyundai elantra. but didnt like it. didnt even think about buying an opel until i spotted my sri on the way out of the dealership. got hooked up with a test drive. now here i am

CNBLU
18th March 2007, 09:03 PM
I HAD A 2.2 SRI CAUSE MY MATE WORKS FOR HOLDEN AND HE GOT ME A RIPPER OF A BARGAIN, THEN ... NEEDED SOMETHING FASTER SO I UPGRADED TO THE TURBO!!

dieselhead
18th March 2007, 11:02 PM
Astra CDTI, the manual one.

looks good, very good build quality, extremely easy on fuel and oh, all that torque! it is just a heavily discounted hot hatch this little oiler.
another reason is the Redbook 3 year resale value: 72%, that's higher than Impreza's. no, i'm not an accountant, but hey, these things matter isn't it? :)

bones
18th March 2007, 11:08 PM
I didn't, I bought a Holden.

Red AH SRI T
19th March 2007, 08:25 AM
Astra H CDX:

Because at the time I was working for Renault and loved the Megane and was going to buy one, but a friend made me see sense and look at other options. Mostly because off ownership costs and future re-sale. I also like the quality of the Astra and the fact that when you closed the door it felt like a little bank vault. I originally was going to buy the CD with a few options but decided instead to go for the CDX, even though i told the saleslady that the I would never buy one because it was the "going to the bowls club and waiting to die" model, due to the Velour trim and plastic wood. In the end I decided I liked the extra luxury features and surprise and delight things that the CDX had. Things like the illuminated vanity mirrors (So i could do my make up whilst driving, and talking on the phone, and having a cigarette, and yelling at the person on the back seat), the scuff plates, standard mats, leather wheel, trip computer ect.

Astra H SRi T:

Well on pic up day of my CDX I asked for a job, had a quick interview and about a month later started working there. So anywho I was getting over the underpowered CDX and with the great staff discounts involved it wasn't going to be too big a stretch to git into the SRi T. Love that it has everything my old CDX has plus more. Also looks waaaaaaaaay hot.

CJB
19th March 2007, 11:21 AM
Things like the illuminated vanity mirrors (So i could do my make up whilst driving, and talking on the phone, and having a cigarette, and yelling at the person on the back seat), the scuff plates, standard mats, leather wheel, trip computer ect.

HAHAHAHAHAHA :p

they are awesome vanity mirrors arent they! I look at myself while I drive too, but not to put make up on :p

oneightoo
19th March 2007, 12:29 PM
91 Calibra

Sold my 03 Astra SRi for a car i could mod and tinker with. i wanted something under 10k. the calibra was the best looking, and best bang for buck under 10k..

94 calibra

loved my 91 so much i thought i needed another..

now i have 2 calibra's..

Tfer
19th March 2007, 12:32 PM
2001 Vectra 2.6l V6 CD hatch.... did not honestly know it was an Opel :o

2003 Vectra 3.2l V6 CDXi hatch.... had to go better than the previous, and what a better way to go :D ..... not a fan of the Commodore nor the Japanese stuff, and will never in the immediate future, consider something Sout Korean..... Euro for me :D

Calibrated
19th March 2007, 01:04 PM

you bought an opel with stupid holden badges.....

Wraith
19th March 2007, 01:14 PM
When I bought my Calibra and Astra, the fact that it was an Opel had nothing to do with it, nothing special about Opel IMHO I liked the cars no matter who the manufacturer was ;)

I bought my Calibra s/h because I'd always loved the look of them and the one I got was a bargain and in mint condition.

I bought my Astra T vert, because IMHO, it was the best soft top for the money around at the time and one of the best looking and best performing (the turbo model ie) and I've always wanted a soft top convertible.

bones
19th March 2007, 02:37 PM
you bought an opel with stupid holden badges.....
I don't think so. AFAIK you cannot buy an Opel Astra with a 2.2 engine [or a Vauxhall either]. Astra SRi is Holden all the way! i.e. Specially configured for Australian needs and tastes.

Calibrated
19th March 2007, 02:47 PM
I don't think so. AFAIK you cannot buy an Opel Astra with a 2.2 engine [or a Vauxhall either]. Astra SRi is Holden all the way! i.e. Specially configured for Australian needs and tastes.

i dont know where you sucked that out of..

the 2.2 is called the Astra GSI
The OPC is the 2l Turbo

Lt Ketch
19th March 2007, 03:11 PM
There are buttons on the steering wheel!

Calibrated
19th March 2007, 03:14 PM
There are buttons on the steering wheel!
LOL...well, glad to hear that!:D

Dee
19th March 2007, 03:15 PM

why are you on OPELaus then if you dit not buy an opel???

back on topic now... i bought my first opel (03 Corsa SXi) because i already had a barina and i liked the look of the XC barina

then i came back to opel because i had to downgrade from the rolla and i knew the XC was a good car and i was a VERY active member on here and didnt like the other options of cars in the price range

Ishley
19th March 2007, 04:56 PM
Astra H SRiT - I never knew the build quality of a European car, until i went for a drive in Crispy's H CDX. I loved the ride, finish and over all look of the car. I knew i wanted a car that was turbo'd from factory, so i put the two together and found the SRiT :)

pred8r
19th March 2007, 05:10 PM
Corsa C SRi - because there was NOTHING in the same age/price bracket with the economy, power, speed and looks that can get close (except for the Citroen C2 VTR but its g/box was too weird).

OPC
19th March 2007, 06:58 PM
i dunno... i thought it was a HOLDEN

bones
19th March 2007, 08:54 PM
i dont know where you sucked that out of..

the 2.2 is called the Astra GSI
The OPC is the 2l Turbo
Where'd you get that? I went to Opel's website today, found the page with all the engine options for the Astra and there was no 2.2. They even had photos of them. Here is the link:
http://www.opel.de/shop/cars/astra/product/engine/content.act
And here is the Konfigurator:
http://www.opel.de/shop/cars/astra/config/quick1.act?reset=true
No mention of either a GSI version or the 2.2. Same if you look at the Twin-Top. I even did a search for "Astra GSI" and got nothing.

CJB
19th March 2007, 10:05 PM
Astra H SRiT - I never knew the build quality of a European car, until i went for a drive in Crispy's H CDX. I loved the ride, finish and over all look of the car. I knew i wanted a car that was turbo'd from factory, so i put the two together and found the SRiT :)
Glad I could be of assistance there Ash ;)

SKM_87
19th March 2007, 10:14 PM
SRi corsa, had to sell my vx commo due to it using to much fuel on my constant trips from wodonga to goulburn, sydney, canberra, melbourne. looked a small 4 cyl cars like pulsars, astra's. the sri looked the goods with the astra engine and small size.

Calibrated
19th March 2007, 11:26 PM
Where'd you get that? I went to Opel's website today, found the page with all the engine options for the Astra and there was no 2.2. They even had photos of them. Here is the link:
http://www.opel.de/shop/cars/astra/product/engine/content.act
And here is the Konfigurator:
http://www.opel.de/shop/cars/astra/config/quick1.act?reset=true
No mention of either a GSI version or the 2.2. Same if you look at the Twin-Top. I even did a search for "Astra GSI" and got nothing.

those are links to the Current opel models...

try looking at this

http://www.motoring.co.za/index.php?fSectionId=869&fArticleId=232651

this could also be interesting reading:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Family_II_engine

Tfer
19th March 2007, 11:39 PM
i dunno... i thought it was a HOLDEN

That's what i thought about my first Veccy..... lucky I learnt that it was but a Holden in badging only :D

btm
20th March 2007, 08:08 AM
Cause I couldn't afford a new Audi :D

Apex
20th March 2007, 09:24 AM
AH Holden Astra SRi Turbo.

Value.

bones
20th March 2007, 09:31 AM
those are links to the Current opel models...
Of course, that's what I'm talking about - AH Astra SRi 2.2 Direct Injection, all-alloy engine with a 6-speed 'box. Brand-new and it seems unique to Holden. Absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with Family II or anything else. Interestingly, the Wikipedia entry doesn't mention that a lot of those engines were manufactured at Fishermans Bend. The C20XE in my Calibra certainly was.
I can't remember off the top of my head what the engine designation is, the car's in to have parking sensors fitted, but it has a "Z" in it.

That's what i thought about my first Veccy..... lucky I learnt that it was but a Holden in badging only :D
Holden built Vectras in Elizabeth for a while, sure your's didn't come from there?

You guys do all realise that Opel is the MMC of German auto brands, don't you? Most Europeans would be embarrassed to be seen in one. In fact they would probably prefer to be caught in a Skoda - at least it's a Golf underneath.

maloo97
20th March 2007, 09:39 AM
Cause I couldn't afford a new Audi :D

You might be able to now ill hock you up :D ;)

Tfer
20th March 2007, 09:42 AM
Holden built Vectras in Elizabeth for a while, sure your's didn't come from there?

You guys do all realise that Opel is the MMC of German auto brands, don't you? Most Europeans would be embarrassed to be seen in one. In fact they would probably prefer to be caught in a Skoda - at least it's a Golf underneath.

Bones.... my old Veccy, which as I clearly stated previously, was a 2.6l V6, and never were they made in Australia..... only the 2.2l 4cyl due to the Family II engine. Mine was built in Belgium.... and not actually interested in what European motorists think.... I like the Opel badging :)

My 2 cents....

InsaneAsylum
20th March 2007, 09:44 AM
Of course, that's what I'm talking about - AH Astra SRi 2.2 Direct Injection, all-alloy engine with a 6-speed 'box. Brand-new and it seems unique to Holden. Absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with Family II or anything else. Interestingly, the Wikipedia entry doesn't mention that a lot of those engines were manufactured at Fishermans Bend. The C20XE in my Calibra certainly was.
I can't remember off the top of my head what the engine designation is, the car's in to have parking sensors fitted, but it has a "Z" in it.

most people on here aren't concerned where it was built or that opel is a run of the mill cheap car in europe and the UK. let's not forget that SOME vectras were ASSEMBLED in adelaide, others were ASSEMBLED in belgium.

Tfer
20th March 2007, 09:46 AM
most people on here aren't concerned where it was built or that opel is a run of the mill cheap car in europe and the UK. let's not forget that SOME vectras were ASSEMBLED in adelaide, others were ASSEMBLED in belgium.

Agreed..... :cool:

Calibrated
20th March 2007, 10:01 AM

Most europeans are crazy..
and no, Opel is not seen as bad as you are portaying,...and i would not be caught dead in a vw golf...

Opel is actually a highy respected brand, with a strong following in motorsport.

and holden doesnt make sweet piss all besides the commodore...they take other cars, and rebadge them...I have been to the GM plan in Port Elizabeth, they make OPELS...they are shipped as OPELS...when they land here, they are rebadged as holdens...

as with the AH SRi 2.2, it does appear that only holden has it, there is nothing else different with the car besides the engine, is it not the old G 2.2 Ecotec motor?

bones
20th March 2007, 10:30 AM
No it's not. And if you think that Opel has any cachet in Europe, you are kidding yourself. Our cars aren't even made in Germany, the're assembled in Belgium [or Poland if you bought an Astra Classic]. At least that is one step up for us from some BMW and Mercedes Benz models, which are assembled in Sth Africa, or a lot of RHD Peugeots, which come from the UK. I might have some respect for a German assembled Opel, like my Calibra was, but by and large I would much prefer to be driving a Holden than an Opel. In fact the Calibra is the perfect example of why - until Holden engineers got to tinker with the suspension, it handled like a pack-o-pooh-tickets. The first proper Holden Calibra was a revelation in the handling department. I drove a '91 as well as the '94 I bought and thought that there must have been something wrong with the suspension of the former, it was so bad.
I don't think you can argue that a Golf is a much better made car than any Opel. I certainly considered it but the style of the thing just doesn't suit me. No matter how sporty or well-built it might be, it screams FAMILY HATCHBACK from every angle, inside and out.
People at the Volvo C30 forum thought I was completely bonkers just for considering an Astra and a C30. None of those guys would be caught dead in one.

InsaneAsylum
20th March 2007, 10:57 AM
it screams FAMILY HATCHBACK from every angle, inside and out.

i beg to differ. it screams i'm getting my legs waxed after the solarium, then i'm going out with friends for some chai latte and oxygen therapy and then shopping for something designer, maybe some iron free cotton drill shorts. hhmm i think i'll get a facial soon

btm
20th March 2007, 11:03 AM
i beg to differ. it screams i'm getting my legs waxed after the solarium, then i'm going out with friends for some chai latte and oxygen therapy and then shopping for something designer, maybe some iron free cotton drill shorts. hhmm i think i'll get a facial soon
bahaha and don't forget a pair of those river boat shoes... i hate those :D

xplosv57
20th March 2007, 11:11 AM
^^^^ hahaha

I do have to agree with bones on the whole Opel front, i have spoken to a few friends from europe and the Uk and they are considered to be like say our Hyundai and Daewoo here, pretty cheap cars!!!

Most likely because cars like BMW and Merc are so much cheaper there that they'd rather put a bit extra and get that than an opel, however its a big increase for those in Australia!!

Depends really what youre after, heck ive got 2 hyundais in the driveway which in nearly 10 years have not given us any grief, so Opels may be seen as bad o/s but if you love them and theyve given you no trouble then you can just prove the others wrong!!!

InsaneAsylum
20th March 2007, 11:13 AM
bahaha and don't forget a pair of those river boat shoes... i hate those :D

also those CROCS shoes, i hate those just as much

xplosv57
20th March 2007, 11:20 AM
Gotta fit in Botox injections somewhere too geez!!!!!

Ishley
20th March 2007, 11:27 AM
Yes but the same could be said for Holden. Holdens are as common as dogs balls here. And i know i would rather be caught in an Opel (which isnt common over here) that was rebadged by Holden. Holden as did you obviously knew the Astra was a very well made car, because they imported it and put there badge and reputation on it, and you brought it. As with the Daewoo Viva, Daewoo Barina, Daewoo Epica and now to some extent the Captiva, Holden put there reputation on the line for these cheaper to make and sell cars to gain new interest from prospective buyers..... It is yet to be seen if it is working

Calibrated
20th March 2007, 12:12 PM
also those CROCS shoes, i hate those just as much

i love my crox..

cheap, light and comfortable..

Calibrated
20th March 2007, 12:22 PM
No it's not. And if you think that Opel has any cachet in Europe, you are kidding yourself. Our cars aren't even made in Germany, the're assembled in Belgium [or Poland if you bought an Astra Classic]. At least that is one step up for us from some BMW and Mercedes Benz models, which are assembled in Sth Africa, or a lot of RHD Peugeots, which come from the UK. I might have some respect for a German assembled Opel, like my Calibra was, but by and large I would much prefer to be driving a Holden than an Opel. In fact the Calibra is the perfect example of why - until Holden engineers got to tinker with the suspension, it handled like a pack-o-pooh-tickets. The first proper Holden Calibra was a revelation in the handling department. I drove a '91 as well as the '94 I bought and thought that there must have been something wrong with the suspension of the former, it was so bad.
I don't think you can argue that a Golf is a much better made car than any Opel. I certainly considered it but the style of the thing just doesn't suit me. No matter how sporty or well-built it might be, it screams FAMILY HATCHBACK from every angle, inside and out.
People at the Volvo C30 forum thought I was completely bonkers just for considering an Astra and a C30. None of those guys would be caught dead in one.

1stly, whats wrong with a car thats been assembled in SOUTH AFRICA
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

2ndly, i have been to uitenhague "mr i know everything" i have been in the GM, BMW, MERCEDES and VW Factories. have you?

3rdly , VW is crap...always has been, always will be. Opel is Better.

4thly, if you dont like opel so much, why are you driving one?
5thly on that note aswell, if you prefer "holden" why are you on opelaus?

6thly, Opel suspension has been designed and tuned for years by LOTUS...

7thly, Asking swede's about a german car:confused:, are you mental...thats like asking the queen if she likes rap music...

8th...ill say it again if i didnt get my point across...vw is crap...
Opel, VW, BMW and Mercedes are the top selling brands (aswell as toyota) in South Africa...

NO GOLF besides maybe the g5 (although im still not impressed by them) comes close to any of its Astra/Kadett counterparts. period...
i have driven every astra/kadett model, i have driven every golf/jetta model.
no contest.
AUSTRALIA DID NOT GET THE BEST OF THE PREVIOUS OPELS!!!!!!!

ok...im done venting...maybe coz you disrespected my country of birth...

oneightoo
20th March 2007, 12:30 PM
hahaha thats funny :D lol dam crazy south african :p

InsaneAsylum
20th March 2007, 12:38 PM
i love my crox..

cheap, light and comfortable..

hey.... i used to like you :p

InsaneAsylum
20th March 2007, 12:39 PM

ah ya indeed hilarious ya

/south african accent

Calibrated
20th March 2007, 12:43 PM
ah ya indeed hilarious ya

/south african accent

:confused:

do you know what the south african accent sounds like?

oneightoo
20th March 2007, 12:46 PM
sounds like tony grieg whenever i watch the cricket :p

InsaneAsylum
20th March 2007, 12:48 PM
:confused:

do you know what the south african accent sounds like?

yes, everyone reckons i do a killer kiwi and south african accent :D

ayy bro

Wraith
20th March 2007, 12:49 PM
hahahaha I thought only we Italians were crazy LOL :D

On this whole Opel business, I agree with Xplosiv57's post above, hence why I stated in my original post here "nothing special about Opel"

Those who shy away from Holden here, have their counterparts in Europe who do the same with Opel LOL :D

In actual fact Opel is no better than Holden in terms of overall manufacturer status/standing amongst the general population of the World, it's just all an individual choice or preference, to be a fan or not !

But if you own a Merc, Beemer, Porshe, Audi, Ferrari, Lambo etc. type of Euro marks, regardless of where they're being made, people will always hold these cars in a higher regard, it's just the way it is :rolleyes:

Speaking of assembly countries, I believe we have another for the Astra convertibles (TS model anyway) which were put together by Bertone in Italy, now lets see, that has to make the TS verts better than all the other versions ?? right ?? :D

Apex
20th March 2007, 01:28 PM
I personally don’t care if a few Germans perceive Opel as crap, they probably also perceive David Hasselhoff as a musical genius!:p

Ps Crocs Rule, I wouldn’t wear them to the pub but for working in they are great, beat the hell out of jandles. I must say I do a mean Kiwi accent au bro, also I used to work for a South African, his accent was scary very monotone and very angry.

Tfer
20th March 2007, 01:36 PM
I personally don’t care if a few Germans perceive Opel as crap, they probably also perceive David Hasselhoff as a musical genius!:p

Ps Crocs Rule, I wouldn’t wear them to the pub but for working in they are great, beat the hell out of jandles. I must say I do a mean Kiwi accent au bro, also I used to work for a South African, his accent was scary very monotone and very angry.

Go THE HOFF!!!!!!!! :p

Tfer
20th March 2007, 01:37 PM

Does that mean I have to stop drinking Chai Latte's :( :p

InsaneAsylum
20th March 2007, 01:58 PM

you can't handle the jandle ayy bro :D

InsaneAsylum
20th March 2007, 01:59 PM
Does that mean I have to stop drinking Chai Latte's :( :p

nah i went a bit overboard :p

Misguidedangel
20th March 2007, 02:14 PM
pack-o-pooh-tickets.
I love that word

LOL

bones
20th March 2007, 02:24 PM
1stly, whats wrong with a car thats been assembled in SOUTH AFRICA
What the hell do zulus know about automobiles?

3rdly , VW is crap...always has been, always will be. Opel is Better.
In what way? I think you'd be in a very small minority on that score. Just read any comparison [any at all]. Every single thing I have read on the subject rates the Golf more highly than any other car in it's class. My experience is that it's a very good motor car and I have no problem believing that it is in fact a better car. So what? I can live with that, why can't you?

4thly, if you dont like opel so much, why are you driving one?
I'm not. As I said originally, I am driving a Holden. Badges are completely and utterly irrelevant to me.

5thly on that note aswell, if you prefer "holden" why are you on opelaus?
You know, I am asking myself the same question. It seems I forgot why I stopped bothering to come here shortly after first joining.

6thly, Opel suspension has been designed and tuned for years by LOTUS...
You mean Proton? They do such a great job on their owners cars, I don't think it's much to crow about.

7thly, Asking swede's about a german car:confused:, are you mental...thats like asking the queen if she likes rap music...
Interestingly, RHD C30s are also assembled in Belgium so they are like cousins to our Astras. Anyway, what makes you think it's a Swedish site. Sure, there are one or two Swedes but there are plenty of people from all over Europe and Nth America there. The universal opinion amongst Europeans on that forum is that Opels are common and krap.

8th...ill say it again if i didnt get my point across...vw is crap...
Opel, VW, BMW and Mercedes are the top selling brands (aswell as toyota) in South Africa...
Yes, and Toyota is the top selling brand here and in pretty much the rest of the world. Does that mean they are better cars?

NO GOLF besides maybe the g5 (although im still not impressed by them) comes close to any of its Astra/Kadett counterparts. period...
i have driven every astra/kadett model, i have driven every golf/jetta model.
Yes, of course. I'm sure you know much, much better than every motoring journalist on the face of the planet. How about we have a contest. Let's see who can come up with the most links that agree with their position? i.e. You find articles that say the Astra is better than the Golf and I'll find ones that say the opposite. Current models only, of course.

AUSTRALIA DID NOT GET THE BEST OF THE PREVIOUS OPELS!!!!!!!
ok...im done venting...maybe coz you disrespected my country of birth...
We'll just see how it goes next weekend.

Speaking of assembly countries, I believe we have another for the Astra convertibles (TS model anyway) which were put together by Bertone in Italy, now lets see, that has to make the TS verts better than all the other versions ?? right ?? :D
You mean in the same way that Alfas and Fiats are more reliable than Beemers or Merc's?

InsaneAsylum
20th March 2007, 02:44 PM
jeez bones, you're a hard man to please :)

Valve Bounce
20th March 2007, 02:51 PM
Ok...well, i bought my Opel coz it was cheaper than a Golf, came with all the luxuries thats Citi Golf dont, A/C, P/S, alarm, C/L, Immobiliser, Color Coded Bumpers the works....

The golf is on average $2000 more than the Corsa, and it doesnt even come with a/C, and you dont get P/S...its an extra $3000 for A/C in a Citi Golf...So thats y i got my corsa..and before than had a Opel Kadett, 140is, that was a hand me down....but it was a great car, never gave me trouble, was quite potent for a 1400 too..so thats another reason i looked around for an Opel

btm
20th March 2007, 02:59 PM
We'll just see how it goes next weekend.
:D :D :D dude... that was gold :p

NB. no disrespect was meant in the making of this post. i just simply found it amusing. this post will self construct in 5.... 4.... 3....

KID_SRi
20th March 2007, 03:05 PM
I Bought my Opel Because, Holdens Small Car love Affair died with Isuzu in 1987 Meanin Geminis ;) As I was a Avid Gemini Lover, Even had a Genuine Opel Kaddet C GT/E(Which the Early Gemini was Designed With Opel,Isuzu & Buick) I had a Few Fire Breathing Isuzus & I decided I wanted Something Newer. I looked around for a Import 1994 Isuzu Gemini Irmscher R AWD Turbo, I found a few but Parts were rare as Rocking Horse Poo. I could parts for it from the Isuzu Car Club but they're based in Sydney, SO they told be me get a Barina SRi Or Astra SRi. I looked around for a while, In May '03 I found my Astra SRi. $24990 Driveaway with 6000kms, So I bought it. Turned out it belonged to the Dealer Owners Wife & Had Factory Order Extras(Performance). I spent alot of Time & Money doing a Complete Engine Rebuild with Turbo Conversion. I lost interest after nearly 4years & Sold it.
If I finished the Engine Conversion it would have easily had over 250kw @ Wheels.

So now I have a Opel Omega Wagon ;)

Tfer
20th March 2007, 03:10 PM
nah i went a bit overboard :p

Ahh cool..... Chai Latte coming up this afternoon, prior to heading out for a cruise in my Opel :D

jeez bones, you're a hard man to please :)

Agreed..................... :rolleyes:

Calibrated
20th March 2007, 08:08 PM
@ Bonehead. i dont see what the cricket has to do with this thread...

and @ your comment about the zulu's...are you south african? have you ever been there? do you really think you have the right to comment on things you know nothing about? (sorry, clearly you do...)

If you knew much about vehicle assembly lines, you would know that 98% of the process is automated...

all the BMW's, Mercs, and most VW's you have driving on your roads, come out of the Uitenhague Factory in Port Elizabeth....Ive been there, ive seen it...

If you have nothing better to do than come on to a manufacturer specific forum, and slander the brand, then you clearly need to rethink your life...

and ill quote what you said to dee "Did your father not hug you enough"...

xplosv57
20th March 2007, 10:00 PM
all the BMW's..... you have driving on your roads, come out of the Uitenhague Factory in Port Elizabeth....Ive been there, ive seen it...

Not quite, most BMW models produced for the Australian market don't come from the SA plant, i have the models written down somewhere, from memory though i believe its the X3 only that comes from SA to Aus BMW dealers!!! :D

Lt Ketch
20th March 2007, 10:11 PM
While we are on the topic of BMW's I drove my first Beemer recently, a lowly 320i with 6k on the clock! Expecting good things, after all it is a beemer, it was one of the most disapointing car experiences I have ever had, a real letdown. Considering the cost of the vehicle, it was relativly slow, not overly comfy, and lacked something ehich for now I wil call character. IMO

The director whose car it is said it will be the best car I have ever driven, i'm now thinking a) he knows nothing (actually I know this to be a fact) and b) he must have had only really crap cars in the past!

nadg63
20th March 2007, 10:43 PM
Funny, most BMW drivers suffer from the same thing - total misconception! (M3's excepted)

Think they base it on the fact that as it cost heaps it must be good.

At the end of the day they think it is some kind of status symbol - best ones are those in the 318's - now are they ordinary or what!?

Ripped off IMHO.

Lt Ketch
20th March 2007, 10:57 PM
pure Badge Snobbery

xplosv57
21st March 2007, 10:30 AM
While we are on the topic of BMW's I drove my first Beemer recently, a lowly 320i with 6k on the clock! Expecting good things, after all it is a beemer, it was one of the most disapointing car experiences I have ever had, a real letdown. Considering the cost of the vehicle, it was relativly slow, not overly comfy, and lacked something ehich for now I wil call character. IMO

The director whose car it is said it will be the best car I have ever driven, i'm now thinking a) he knows nothing (actually I know this to be a fact) and b) he must have had only really crap cars in the past!

Look the 320i is the base model, and isn't the most inspiring car, but trust me, move up in the range, even to the next model (323i 6 cyl) and you'll find its a much better car!!!! I think the director was pushing it for best car ever though!!!!

Apex
21st March 2007, 01:02 PM
The320i is the “Poverty” pack but still a well balanced and decent car to drive
, my mum has a E46 330i and it is without a doubt the best car I have ever driven, only gripe I have with it is the fact the driving aids cant be switched off :mad:

In my opinion BMW is the bench mark as to how cars should drive.:snooty:

woody
21st March 2007, 05:12 PM
I started out life in my grandads hand me down for escort mk 2 which i wrecked in the first mnth of having it on the road.. my car history then goes like this:

UK

1.3 Vauxhall Astra Van Mk 1
1.3 Sri Vauxhall Astra Mk 2
1.6 Vauxhall Cavalier Stationwagon/Estate

Australia

Nissan Pulsar 86 model i think (basically same as Hoden Astra - many shared parts)
1.8 Holden Astra TS Equipe
1.3 Holden Barina SB
1.4 Holden Barina/XC
2.2 SRi Holden/Opel Astra TS 2003

I kinda like gm/vauxhall/holden/opel, always been good cars very few problems.

WLD-18L
21st March 2007, 07:22 PM
Had my opel astra g for about 11 months now (first car)

I wanted a VT/VX commo for AGES. Saved for one since i was about 14.

Birthday was getting close and thats when petrol prices where going crazy and predicted at like 2 bucksa Ltr by christmas or some crap. so dad talked me out of getting the commo and going for somthing a lil more fuel effecient. (this took many heated debates)

so i started looking at small cars betwen 10-12 grand and my astra was the best i could find within that pricerange.

Glad my dad talked me into getting it :)

click the link in my sig if you want to have a look.

Red AH SRI T
22nd March 2007, 07:45 AM
all the BMW's, Mercs, and most VW's you have driving on your roads, come out of the Uitenhague Factory in Port Elizabeth....Ive been there, ive seen it...

Not quiet all.

The M-B M Class and G Class come from America as does the BMW Z4 and X5

oneightoo
22nd March 2007, 11:55 AM
At the end of the day they think it is some kind of status symbol - best ones are those in the 318's - now are they ordinary or what!?

in sydney, most beemer's on the road are "company" cars, that doesnt do anything for me..