PDA

View Full Version : Motor Mag - VXR vs MPS 3

Wraith
16th March 2007, 10:27 AM
So they've finally done it - an article of the VXR vs MPS 3

Final result - as would be expected MPS 3 wins.

More power, better performance, better handling, more features, more practical, cheaper to buy...

One thing that really surprised me was the performance times for both cars - well down on previous documented results.....

15.2sec 1/4 mile VXR
14.8sec 1/4 mile MPS 3

In typical Motor Mag fashion they incorectly quote these figures in the info boxes, putting both cars at 14.8sec for the 400m sprint ?? I reckon the editor was stoned as usual !

I reckon the guys doing the article were smoking some good shit as well, :D I mean they go on and on about how well these cars go, "like it's balls are on fire" was one quote of the VXR and then they turn in a time of 15.2 WTF :confused: that's hardly awe inspiring performance :rolleyes:

Vectracious
16th March 2007, 10:40 AM
In typical Motor Mag fashion they incorectly quote these figures in the info boxes, putting both cars at 14.8sec for the 400m sprint ?? I reckon the editor was stoned as usual !

Good point. Considering Motor is supposed to be the most professional "performance car" orientated car mag in Australia, they regularly stuff up in their issues.

I wonder if the engine mount broke in their MPS? :p :rolleyes:

Calibrated
16th March 2007, 10:59 AM
i'd still take the astra. just looks soo much better..the mps doesnt look that much different to the rest of the mazda3 range..

and i reckon the only reason they didnt give it the AWD chassis of the mazda6 is because that would send it in to combat with EVO and WRX...and it would be hammered...

and, i also wouldnt like my engine to fall out...lol..

Mr T
16th March 2007, 11:32 AM
and i reckon the only reason they didnt give it the AWD chassis of the mazda6 is because that would send it in to combat with EVO and WRX...and it would be hammered...

Not likely...If the MPS3 was AWD it would eat WRX for breakfast...they already have similar 1/4 times.

rjastra
16th March 2007, 11:35 AM
Not likely...If the MPS3 was AWD it would eat WRX for breakfast...they already have similar 1/4 times.

Except it would gain 200+kg just like the MPS6 did when it morphed from the Mazda 6

Motor seems to be enthralled by the MPS3 in a way that no other magazine worldwide seems to be.

Vectracious
16th March 2007, 11:42 AM
Except it would gain 200+kg just like the MPS6 did when it morphed from the Mazda 6

Still, 190kW and 380Nm would make it boogie.

Not likely...If the MPS3 was AWD it would eat WRX for breakfast...they already have similar 1/4 times

Would have to agree there - as someone who owns one, the WRX (well teh 2.0 anyway) begins to run out of breath getting to 100 - whereas teh 3MPS (as Motor likes to continually tell us) has a very good 80-120 time.

InsaneAsylum
16th March 2007, 11:54 AM
the WRX (well teh 2.0 anyway) begins to run out of breath getting to 100

sounds like you need an IHI VF series turbine, a front mount intercooler and a full turbo back exhuast.

no more asthma for the rex!

Vectracious
16th March 2007, 11:56 AM
sounds like you need an IHI VF series turbine, a front mount intercooler and a full turbo back exhuast.

no more asthma for the rex!

in a couple of years :) However Stock for Stock, the standard Rex is very "meh" at higher speeds.

bones
16th March 2007, 12:00 PM
Yeah, I don't know what MOTOR's problem is. Did you read BFYB last year? They caned the SRi Turbo for being krap and when Luffy manages a decent time around the track they put it down to his skill. Then they point out that the Colt Turbo puts in a better time, yet they fail to notice that the Colt also beats the XR5 and Golf GTi around the track. It's just rubbish. They decide what car they like and spend pages justifying it but the figures don't lie.
I will be very interested to see how the VRX fairs in this year's BFYB, I just won't put too much stock into what those idiots have to say about it.

I have to say though, that I don't really see the point in either car. Both have way too much grunt for FWD. The VE SV6 was quicker around Oran Park than the Golf GTi, which tends to show the advantage of RWD when you are working with so much power. Depending on which reviews you read, the SRi Turbo has noticeable torque steer, despite being under-powered next to an MPS or VXR. To me that means there is already too much going through the front wheels, which is a big part of the reason I went for the 2.2 SRi. I would take an SV6 over an MPS or GTi every time [it looks way better] but the VXR's looks would keep it in the mix, although in the end I think the SV6 would win the contest for my cash.

Mr T
16th March 2007, 12:06 PM
Interesting and unussual comparison...but justified...

Vectracious
16th March 2007, 12:18 PM
They got rid of the road testing component of BFYB as well which is pretty silly considering most people will be driving the cars on teh road most of the time anyway.

rusole21
16th March 2007, 12:19 PM
Would have to agree there - as someone who owns one, the WRX (well teh 2.0 anyway) begins to run out of breath getting to 100 - whereas teh 3MPS (as Motor likes to continually tell us) has a very good 80-120 time.
i would agree with that as well. the mps3 is very quick. especially from rolling starts!

but also agree with the fact of too much power thru the front wheels is just not good.

Vectracious
16th March 2007, 12:22 PM
ibut also agree with the fact of too much power thru the front wheels is just not good.

yeah, which is why Mazda limits the power in first and second - otherwise it would just wheelspin.

The WRX with the 2.5 should be making similar figures stock - dunno why Subaru won't push it.

RudeOne
16th March 2007, 12:26 PM
What i have noticed is this: the VXR owners are keeping quite!!! whY? probably cause we dont have to justify our purchase with what these mag's are saying!

More power - yes but same qtr mile time (per wheels mag) - how high in the rev range do you actually get the 190kw, this engine was only meant to come with 183kw like the new 4wd they have - were did this magical 9kw come from? ecu tweaking or loosen up the rev limiter??

Better performance - as above - i have raced two black mps3's in brisbane - they know the outcome i dont need to brag.

better handling - agreed - lsd is a good idea

More features - not sure on this one probably right.

More practical - for who? a standard 4.5 member family? or a single male aged 24? - the always bag visability from the c pillar - have they ever heard about side mirrors? doesnt seem to be an issue if its a ferrari or porsche?? the fact it looks the tits doesnt matter!!

cheaper to buy - so it should be - it looks the same as a SP23 - just with a engine upgrade - including trans mounts ;) from a sp23 ;)

I cant understand the continual VXR bagging - maybe they should drive it for more than 5 min's.........

I hear comments from people who claim they have driven a VXR that say - oh the gear knob is too short or the steering wheel is to fat - wow they can read the comments from the first review!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im sure the MPS3 is awesome in its own right. but so is the VXR, but everyone has such a negative impression of it! mainly around price - i paid less for my VXR than a top of the range mps3.... im happy with it.. does my review count and influence ppl - probably not - just wanted to vent and say

VXR ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tfer
16th March 2007, 12:33 PM
Who actually reads the tripe that Motor produces anyway :rolleyes:

rusole21
16th March 2007, 12:34 PM
What i have noticed is this: the VXR owners are keeping quite!!! whY? probably cause we dont have to justify our purchase with what these mag's are saying!

More power - yes but same qtr mile time (per wheels mag) - how high in the rev range do you actually get the 190kw, this engine was only meant to come with 183kw like the new 4wd they have - were did this magical 9kw come from? ecu tweaking or loosen up the rev limiter??

Better performance - as above - i have raced two black mps3's in brisbane - they know the outcome i dont need to brag.

More practical - for who? a standard 4.5 member family? or a single male aged 24? - the always bag visability from the c pillar - have they ever heard about side mirrors? doesnt seem to be an issue if its a ferrari or porsche?? the fact it looks the tits doesnt matter!!

cheaper to buy - so it should be - it looks the same as a SP23 - just with a engine upgrade - including trans mounts ;) from a sp23 ;)

I cant understand the continual VXR bagging - maybe they should drive it for more than 5 min's.........

I hear comments from people who claim they have driven a VXR that say - oh the gear knob is too short or the steering wheel is to fat - wow they can read the comments from the first review!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im sure the MPS3 is awesome in its own right. but so is the VXR, but everyone has such a negative impression of it! mainly around price - i paid less for my VXR than a top of the range mps3.... im happy with it.. does my review count and influence ppl - probably not - just wanted to vent and say

VXR ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
acctually the cx7 has 175kw.

and they complain about the visibility because you dont just use side mirrors. heard of blind spots.

vxr's are cool though!! but like previously mentioned motor stuffed the times up in the little box. the vxr did a 15.2 and the mps3 did a 14.8. those times are way more than an acctual 1/4 mile track time though.

doesnt it sound wierd even to you to say you beat 2 mps3s when everyone knows they are faster??

RudeOne
16th March 2007, 12:43 PM
acctually the cx7 has 175kw.

and they complain about the visibility because you dont just use side mirrors. heard of blind spots.

i dont check them anyway!!!!!!!!! nah jokes

I spose driver ability always comes into play - but i don't bullshit -

MK
16th March 2007, 02:25 PM
with proper side and rear view mirrors setup you will limit checking your blind spot.

all car magazines are just that, car magazines...i NEVER take what they write, same as with Top Gear...purely treat them as entertainment.

i read the recent motor issue, i put it away (this is now 3rd issue in a row) purely on the fact some of the articles were full of blunders and editorial mishap...i voted with my $$$

my girlfriend and i decided to look into having a sports car, she (a practical girl) already decided and stated that anything with rear doors will not be considered on our list....

Mr T
16th March 2007, 02:43 PM

Hate to break it to you mate, but your blind spot is not behind the "C" pillar, it's beside the back seat.

If you need to turn all the way aound to check behind your car, perhaps you should adjust your mirrors.

OPC
16th March 2007, 03:38 PM
Hate to break it to you mate, but your blind spot is not behind the "C" pillar, it's beside the back seat.

If you need to turn all the way aound to check behind your car, perhaps you should adjust your mirrors.

hehehehe...

HoHum... anyway... what's this 15.2 1/4mile crud im seeing here ?

when the 03 SRi turbo came out...what over 3 years now ? well anyway MOTOR said it did a 15.2 WTF now with 30kw extra they say the same ?

anyway a few of us took our stock 03 SRi turbos down the 1/4 mile and well what do ya know... 14.5 was one 14.7 was another

BUT I SAY NOW... when i first took delivery and up until a week ago my VXR did feel restricted when giving it some stick at full throttle and yeah i did think im gunna need to do something about it (eg full exhaust and CAI) but now it seems to fly along and all of the restrictiveness has completely gone thank f@#k

rudeone wrote: cheaper to buy - so it should be - it looks the same as a SP23 - just with a engine upgrade - including trans mounts from a sp23

now that's funny

bones
16th March 2007, 04:01 PM
I think the same can be said of VXR in comparison to a CD Coupe with optional body-kit. I though HSV might have done a bit more with it. Sure, those of us in the know appreciate the difference but I doubt my brother would notice. But overall I could never be happy with any of the competition, they all look like family cars to me. Even the 3-door Golf is boring as...

You'd need to be that little girl from The Exorcist to be able to turn your head far enough to see into that particular "blind spot" so I fail to see the relevance. The only thing I worry about is backing into a low fence or a pole or something else hidden by the high rear window line, which is why I have rear parking sensors fitted.

doesnt it sound wierd even to you to say you beat 2 mps3s when everyone knows they are faster??
Depends on the driver, and the MPS is limited in first and second so it depends what kind of challenge it is.

Shaun
16th March 2007, 04:28 PM

Exactly what i think . The VXR holds it own. Now i have Been in one And driven on i would go as far as saying that the VXR is under rated which isnt such a bad thing.

MPS though should have AWD .

Shaun
16th March 2007, 04:32 PM
hehehehe...

BUT I SAY NOW... when i first took delivery and up until a week ago my VXR did feel restricted when giving it some stick at full throttle and yeah i did think im gunna need to do something about it (eg full exhaust and CAI) but now it seems to fly along and all of the restrictiveness has completely gone thank f@#k

Seems like what i said could be true then Jay about the Computer Limiting its self on Power.

OPC
16th March 2007, 04:50 PM
Seems like what i said could be true then Jay about the Computer Limiting its self on Power.

"yes u could be right there shaun" is what i thought when it actually wanted to take off for once...

i reckon the way it was feeling a month ago it woulda run a 15.2 but now i reckon 14.5 easy and thats with a shitty takeoff

rusole21
16th March 2007, 05:11 PM

i never said nothin about the c pillar mate. they could mean the visibility from the tiny back windows allong with the huge hip line. which makes visibilty harder but as everyone says it shouldnt really matter about that anyway.

and yes the mps is limited in first and second to try and stop it fryin both wheels on take off. but you will also find that most front drivers are limited in first because of the same reason.

yes driver ability does matter. so if your proud to say you beat a faster car because the person couldnt drive then congrats.

Shaun
16th March 2007, 05:13 PM
"yes u could be right there shaun" is what i thought when it actually wanted to take off for once...

i reckon the way it was feeling a month ago it woulda run a 15.2 but now i reckon 14.5 easy and thats with a shitty takeoff

Another ride is in order... Told you they get better with time. Like a Bottle of Wine. As they age they better the taste. Aussie was telling me that this is the case in the UK too.

Wraith
16th March 2007, 05:55 PM
If this is indeed the case, it could have something to do the with the tolerances of the piston rings, being the fact that it has forged pistons, which usually run at a smaller size than cast equivalents, because their expansion rate is greater, the rings are probably sized for a very tight fit to prevent piston slap and therefore run tighter with greater friction against the cylinder walls.

As time goes by and km's build up, they run in and losen up and it should go better, this is probably what's happening.

I'm assuming this because the VXR's piston's skirts are also covered with a teflon coating to prevent piston slap noise, usually associated with forgies, stops people complaining about there being an engine problem !

OPC
16th March 2007, 06:05 PM
Another ride is in order... Told you they get better with time. Like a Bottle of Wine. As they age they better the taste. Aussie was telling me that this is the case in the UK too.

unlike the case of the women...

yeah no worries shaun u know where i work and live... hang on... i live at work too... and work where i live also... confused yet ?

Shaun
16th March 2007, 07:24 PM
unlike the case of the women...

yeah no worries shaun u know where i work and live... hang on... i live at work too... and work where i live also... confused yet ?

You have one of them life's as well it seems.

aussie_in_london
16th March 2007, 09:17 PM
Top Gear mag over here in the UK just put them 2 up against each other with the stig driving, he muched prefered the handling and power of the VXR and recorded an identical time on the Top Gear track of 1min 32 sec flat for the 2, which one would the stig prefer? he said the astra and placed it higher overall,

TG mag also have a lifer VXR running 260bhp (193kw), hit 100km in 5.6 secs, cracked 13.8 quarter mile at 104 mph at Santa Pod and held a Boxster S off round Snetterton with its straight line speed.
Driver says he thinks TG missed the point about the VXR - aggression - and says he'll miss it when it goes back..

Seen a few standard VXR's run the 1/4 mile at Santa Pod now with times ranging from 14.3 to 14.9 secs

Shane

pred8r
16th March 2007, 10:38 PM
For the people who complain about blind spots - you havn't been in one of these recently, have you?

http://www.aus-ford-uk.co.uk/assets/images/XA_Yellow_Glow9.jpg

Geebs
17th March 2007, 02:10 AM
:p

Cant agree more with all the above and other comments on the VXR. There does seem to be quite strong opinion on the VXR and in particular v the MPS3.

I too paid less for my VXR than the fully optioned MPS. In any case, I could not see myself driving the MPS3. If im gonna fork out just under 50k for a car, I dont wanna be driving a station wagon. I also found the driving position in the MPS was quite high. In relation to options and features of the cars, the stereo in the MPS3 does rock, although I prefer to do my own ICE in my cars.... Saw also some previous comments that the MPS3 had 6 airbags v 4 in the VXR. VXR also has 6.

Visiting the Motor Show recently also reminded me of another reason I didnt consider the MPS. It's really 'tiny'. Open and close the door on it and compare it to the VXR - or any European car for that matter. The door on the Mazda felt so light and tiny that I thought it was going to fall off..... I mean theyre engines are falling out, why wouldnt the doors??? :-P

So back to the VXR, I must say its taken some time for me to see the full potential of mine. The car I drive today (just clocked 8000 k's) is a very different car to the VXR I test drove and very different to the way the car was 8000k's ago. Obviously each car is different and a driver takes time to master being able to get the max out of a car, so the reviews that are done and times etc, are done by someone who has driven the car for what - an hour? so to me they are not right.

And as with you Rudi, I know what ive done with my car on the road and seen how it performs, also dont feel the need to come here and brag about it. Then on top of the performance, the looks. It's amazing the comments ive received from strangers who stop at lights next to me. Dont think the MPS3 or even the XR5 or GTI or even R32 come anywhere close to the VXR in looks...... and I mean lets face it, a 'HOT' hatch has gotta look 'hot'!!!

So yeah, in case yous havent noticed, I love my VXR :D :p :D and yeah Rudi.... VXR ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

bones
19th March 2007, 02:44 PM
Dont think the MPS3 or even the XR5 or GTI or even R32 come anywhere close to the VXR in looks...... and I mean lets face it, a 'HOT' hatch has gotta look 'hot'!!!
I couldn't agree more. All those cars you mentioned just look like family hatchbacks to me and if you didn't know what to look for you wouldn't even know they were anything but family transport. Even the 3-door Golf doesn't look any less pedestrian. And the Mazda is the only one I think comes close to the Astra's interior style, too. It surprises me that journo's seem to put so little weight on style when it is clearly a big factor to many buyers.
The only downside is that there are plenty of 1.8 Coupes getting around that drag down the cachet more than somewhat. Still, those who know, know so that's something at least.