PDA

View Full Version : Corsa VXR reviews

GreyRex
15th March 2007, 05:35 PM
Yeah yeah, I know it's not coming here... but it's getting good reviews.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/firstdrives/207409/vauxhall_corsa.html

http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/FirstDrives/Vauxhall-Corsa-1.6-VXR/224434/

Red AH SRI T
15th March 2007, 08:16 PM
Great reviews!

Shame its not coming here though :(

Mainframe_Module
15th March 2007, 08:53 PM
*Cries blood*

why hast thou holden forsaken us :boohoo:

MatsHolden
15th March 2007, 09:07 PM
As Mizled said, it's not coming here, can we get over it?

aussie_in_london
15th March 2007, 10:48 PM
i will give you a full run down when ours arrives in a couple of months : )

Shaun
16th March 2007, 02:40 AM
As Mizled said, it's not coming here, can we get over it?

Are we not an Opel / Vauxhall Group here? And just because its not coming at this point in time thats not to say HSV wont change its mind. Ford said it wasnt bringing in a XR4 Festa but they Announced they are and it will be here by mid 07 at the Melbourne Motorshow.

MatsHolden
16th March 2007, 06:24 AM
Are we not an Opel / Vauxhall Group here? And just because its not coming at this point in time thats not to say HSV wont change its mind. Ford said it wasnt bringing in a XR4 Festa but they Announced they are and it will be here by mid 07 at the Melbourne Motorshow.

I wasn't meaning don't talk about the Corsa D, just didn't want to see another will they won't they thread, because there's already another umpteen threads on here like that... And btw the XR4 has already been shown at the Melbourne Motorshow last week. ;) And if HSV's attitude towards the Astra VXR is any indication of it's enthusiasm of their hot 4 cylinder (was pushed right out the back corner of the Holden/HSV stand out of the spotlights) then can't see them breaking their knecks to get the Corsa VXR here. That and numerous other reasons why they won't bring it here.

Look what you've done... you've i'm almost getting into the will they won't they thing myself now... lol

Vectracious
16th March 2007, 09:02 AM

But Ford is Ford, not Holden.

Getting the Astra VXR here was most likely easier as we already sell the AH in stock form - the Corsa isn't.

And Mat has a point - what has HSV really done for the VXR? - they cant even be bothered changing the steering wheel badge and clock clusters. HSV will always put their V8's before anything else - even though the "hot hatch" segment is doing so well at the moment - Ford is playing it smart though bringing quality stuff like the Fiesta/Focus and Mondeo over.

Wraith
16th March 2007, 10:53 AM
Pity really, it could've provided some interesting competition for the new Honda Civic type R....

My conclusion, Holden/HSV believe volumes will be too small to justify bringing it down under :rolleyes:

Shaun
16th March 2007, 04:48 PM
But Ford is Ford, not Holden.

Getting the Astra VXR here was most likely easier as we already sell the AH in stock form - the Corsa isn't.

And Mat has a point - what has HSV really done for the VXR? - they cant even be bothered changing the steering wheel badge and clock clusters. HSV will always put their V8's before anything else - even though the "hot hatch" segment is doing so well at the moment - Ford is playing it smart though bringing quality stuff like the Fiesta/Focus and Mondeo over.

On the Changing the Wheel Badging that is to do with Opel. Not HSV. Opel wont do the air bag test as the Import Level is Low. IE the cost isnt going to be covered in the Volume HSV are importing.

Its Not a HSV issue its an Opel Factory that isnt going to Change Unless the Volume increases.

OPC
16th March 2007, 04:58 PM
On the Changing the Wheel Badging that is to do with Opel. Not HSV. Opel wont do the air bag test as the Import Level is Low. IE the cost isnt going to be covered in the Volume HSV are importing.

Its Not a HSV issue its an Opel Factory one.

im actually glad they didnt change the badge... its not really a HSV is it...

plus it made it heaps easier this time around to opelize it... mines done except the mats

aussie... im jealous dude

Shaun
16th March 2007, 05:06 PM
I wasn't meaning don't talk about the Corsa D, just didn't want to see another will they won't they thread, because there's already another umpteen threads on here like that... And btw the XR4 has already been shown at the Melbourne Motorshow last week. ;) And if HSV's attitude towards the Astra VXR is any indication of it's enthusiasm of their hot 4 cylinder (was pushed right out the back corner of the Holden/HSV stand out of the spotlights) then can't see them breaking their knecks to get the Corsa VXR here. That and numerous other reasons why they won't bring it here.

Look what you've done... you've i'm almost getting into the will they won't they thing myself now... lol

I dont dissagree with you Matt. The case isnt stong and the car would be close to 30k if they were to at this stage.. I feel that the next round of HSV VXR will sell quicker as now there have been some test done and people will know about them now.

Vectracious
16th March 2007, 05:08 PM

Its Not a HSV issue its an Opel Factory that isnt going to Change Unless the Volume increases.

Look at it from another POV - you are paying 45K for a car that to Joe Public would appear a bit part special - VXR badges on the back but the cluster has OPC on it - why not just leave it the HSV OPC? OK fair enough the airbag testing might have blown out costs and it wasn't worth their while, but would changing the dash cluster been that much trouble?

Don't get me wrong, the VXR IMHO is a great car and as I;ve said before several times, if the Astra T came in a 4door, I wouldn't have the Rex now, but for 45K I would expect something more cohesive - not parts of 3 different brands put on the one car.

Shaun
16th March 2007, 05:22 PM
Look at it from another POV - you are paying 45K for a car that to Joe Public would appear a bit part special - VXR badges on the back but the cluster has OPC on it - why not just leave it the HSV OPC? OK fair enough the airbag testing might have blown out costs and it wasn't worth their while, but would changing the dash cluster been that much trouble?

Don't get me wrong, the VXR IMHO is a great car and as I;ve said before several times, if the Astra T came in a 4door, I wouldn't have the Rex now, but for 45K I would expect something more cohesive - not parts of 3 different brands put on the one car.

I dont disagree with what your saying. its hard to take for a 47k car on the road. And yes you thoses that have bought already must not be happy about it but at the end of the day its a minor thing as most people are buying the car for its preformance and will let the Badging slide.

I see what your saying though as i was the same at 1st.

aussie_in_london
16th March 2007, 09:04 PM
http://cars.uk.msn.com/Reviews/article.aspx?cp-documentid=4167223

nice write up on the corsa and some good pics (actually say in this one being tested a few weeks back)
looking forward to getting behind the wheel of my wifes when it arrives, more so now after reading what the press have been saying : )

i say opalise yours HSV VXR's : ) chuck on some badges on the centre caps, cam cover under the bonnet, colour coded opel grill up front and the opel blitz/OPC badging on the rear, not fogetting the gear lever, bottom part cover on steering wheel and some front mats, can easily be done and i have seen one guy over here do it alreay

Shane

Shaun
17th March 2007, 01:32 AM
http://cars.uk.msn.com/Reviews/article.aspx?cp-documentid=4167223

nice write up on the corsa and some good pics (actually say in this one being tested a few weeks back)
looking forward to getting behind the wheel of my wifes when it arrives, more so now after reading what the press have been saying : )

i say opalise yours HSV VXR's : ) chuck on some badges on the centre caps, cam cover under the bonnet, colour coded opel grill up front and the opel blitz/OPC badging on the rear, not fogetting the gear lever, bottom part cover on steering wheel and some front mats, can easily be done and i have seen one guy over here do it alreay

Shane

**** Opelising the car. I would go for Vauxhall Badges instead.

OPC
19th March 2007, 10:33 AM
i say opelise your HSV VXR's : ) chuck on some badges on the centre caps, cam cover under the bonnet, colour coded opel grill up front and the opel blitz/OPC badging on the rear, not fogetting the gear lever, bottom part cover on steering wheel and some front mats, can easily be done and i have seen one guy over here do it alreay

Shane

done them all... just finished with the centre caps last weekend shane and it looks awesome

Red AH SRI T
19th March 2007, 02:05 PM
done them all... just finished with the centre caps last weekend shane and it looks awesome

PICS! I DEMAND PICS!

OPC
19th March 2007, 06:52 PM
here is a pic of all the stuff i sent to germany last week

minus the vauxhall badge ofcourse...

http://cgi.ebay.de/HOLDEN-Kuehlergrill-Grill-Opel-ASTRA-H-OPC-auch-VXR_W0QQitemZ320093502342QQcategoryZ68204QQrdZ1QQc mdZViewItem

aussie_in_london
19th March 2007, 08:48 PM

just got to colour code the front grill now Jay or its gonna look like an astra GTC : )

you know its the right thing to do mate!

EL BURITO
19th March 2007, 09:28 PM
I want Pics

OPC
20th March 2007, 09:55 AM
just got to colour code the front grill now Jay or its gonna look like an astra GTC : )

you know its the right thing to do mate!

yeah shane im actually gunna get the proper grille down the road... but not yet... it was there when i had the money so i just got it

and those ebay items (3 posts up) actually aint my ones cos it looks as though the vxr engine cover isnt there and neither are the mats i sent along with the lower steering wheel badge

bornwild
21st March 2007, 11:05 PM
**** Opelising the car. I would go for Vauxhall Badges instead.

:lame::offtopic:

Why Vauxhall Badges.....they didn't make it, Opel did.

Why don't you put my surname on your passport?

aussie_in_london
22nd March 2007, 01:45 AM
:lame::offtopic:
Why don't you put my surname on your passport?

actually it was assembled at a GM factory in Antwerp after shutting down the UK plant : ))))
development, design and testing came from OPC, Vauxhall and Lotus, so its a bitsa really! LOL

bornwild
22nd March 2007, 12:29 PM
actually it was assembled at a GM factory in Antwerp after shutting down the UK plant : ))))
development, design and testing came from OPC, Vauxhall and Lotus, so its a bitsa really! LOL

Design, development & testing of the Astra came from where.....?

I believe it is Opel...:clap:

aussie_in_london
22nd March 2007, 08:24 PM
Design, development & testing of the Astra came from where.....?

I believe it is Opel...:clap:

ok i will re-submit that

Design, development & testing of the astra VXR came from OPC, Vauxhall and Lotus, testing during development was done by all 3 in Europe and the UK, parts were sourced from all 3, research into the engine and you may be pleasently suprised who actually developed it. The UK spec has a different chassie to the European model, yes it was built in an Opel/GM factory in Belguim but that does not soly make it just an Opel and rebadged, i doubt if GM had shut down the Vxl factory in Luton that i would have had to wait over 6 months for delivery due to all the problems encountered, still a bitsa and so to is the corsa VXR where alot of the development also took place in the UK

bornwild
22nd March 2007, 09:21 PM
Woops I don't know why I brought the Astra into the ballgame, I meant the corsa....ok fair enough, but I'm asking about the Corsa and the Astra....not the OPC versions.

Who developed them? Opel solely.....I'm sure brits only modified the VXR for their roads and left hand drive and all that......

It's like saying the Commodore should be Pontiacised.....ridiculous

aussie_in_london
22nd March 2007, 09:32 PM
it was a joint development by Opel and Vxl engineers for the corsa, for the VXR Lotus was advisors for the damper and spring settings thats all but didnt spend the months they did on the astra VXR for the chassie design, Opel dont focus on the corsa as much as they do on the vectra and meriva VXR , so Vxl took alot of control of the corsa VXR development as its a much bigger selling car in the UK than it is in Europe, testing was carried out on the Ring and at Millbrook proving ground in England to get the set up right.

as for the standard astra and corsa it was again both sides who was involved in the design and development, Opel and Vxl do work together on the projects, not just Opel design and build, rebadge Vxl. The standard astra hadnling was also supported by Lotus but not in the capacity as it did for the VXR.

Shaun
22nd March 2007, 09:35 PM
it was a joint development by Opel and Vxl engineers for the corsa, for the VXR Lotus was advisors for the damper and spring settings but didnt spend the months they did on the astra VXR for the chassie design, Opel dont focus on the corsa as much as they do on the vectra and meriva VXR , so Vxl took alot of control of the corsa VXR development as its a much bigger selling car in the UK than it is in Europe, testing was carried out on the Ring and at Millbrook proving ground in England to get the set up right.

Aussie is the 1st non Press or Vauxhall Employee to have driven the VXR Before they were released to the market 6 or 7 months prior to the Launch date. Aussie (Shane's) Sources are VERY reliable with all VXR information as they are coming from those Directly Involved with in the VXR Brand. I too have have spoken to the same contacts that Aussie has . A week after Bathurst the Brand Manager for Vauxhall VXR spent a week in Australia . I have spoken with Aussie's Contact with in Vauxhall with regards to HSV VXR issues . IE Steering wheel markings not being a HSV logo.

bornwild
22nd March 2007, 10:15 PM
The car is German, from Opel, designed by and developed by Opel. Vaxhaull or Lotus had nothing to do with it. The engineers from the international technical development center assisted.

http://www.autointell.com/nao_companies/general_motors/opel/opel-engineering/opel3.htm

A relative of mine works at OPC Design, he worked with Ulli Hochmuth. The car carries all of the signatures of Opel, namely the integral turbocharger system(remember the Calibra Turbo, yeh Opel introduced it into that car 1st).

Anyway, I don't wanna argue with guys, just some friendly chatter
Though claiming someones work to be theirs does piss me off a fair bit, like it pisses me off to see Commodores with Chevy badges

bornwild
22nd March 2007, 10:20 PM
Perhaps the Astra OPC was tweaked by Vauxhall in collaboration with Lotus for the UK market only...as I was mentioning earlier, the UK have quite distinctive roads in comparison to Europe.

Shaun
22nd March 2007, 10:20 PM
The car is German, from Opel, designed by and developed by Opel. Vaxhaull or Lotus had nothing to do with it. The engineers from the international technical development center assisted.

http://www.autointell.com/nao_companies/general_motors/opel/opel-engineering/opel3.htm

A relative of mine works at OPC Design, he worked with Ulli Hochmuth. The car carries all of the signatures of Opel, namely the integral turbocharger system(remember the Calibra Turbo, yeh Opel introduced it into that car 1st).

Anyway, I don't wanna argue with guys, just some friendly chatter
Though claiming someones work to be theirs does piss me off a fair bit, like it pisses me off to see Commodores with Chevy badges

No its not.
The Opel OPC and Vauxhall VXR may look much the same which is the case there are many things that have been changed.

Vauxhall use a Lotus Tuned Suspension as Standard and if you want IDS you have to pay for it.

Reasons behind this are to do with the UK B road condtions.

IDS is a Very different Suspension to Vauxhall PASSIVE which is developed with Lotus. Lotus and GM have a couple of things in common. One being the Suspension work was contracted to Lotus and now Lotus use the same Engine as whats found in the Astra SRi T AH (Z20LER).

I have been able to ride in both cars and you can tell the difference between them both. I have been in Aussies car in June when in London last year. I have been in Mohawks car and drive Mohawks car too with IDS. I can tell the difference in ride .

That is one of the Big Differences between the OPC and VXR. Its not just a Badge change like many here have said.

bornwild
22nd March 2007, 10:25 PM
So I was right after all, they just tuned it for the UK roads?

aussie_in_london
22nd March 2007, 10:44 PM
Perhaps the Astra OPC was tweaked by Vauxhall in collaboration with Lotus for the UK market only...as I was mentioning earlier, the UK have quite distinctive roads in comparison to Europe.

Lotus had a little more involvement in the Astra VXR/OPC than just the chassie, just not public knowledge, plenty of Vxl input also : )

OPC
23rd March 2007, 09:49 AM
like it pisses me off to see Commodores with Chevy badges

hehehe yeah its like a skyline with an STi badge bahahahahaha

aussie_in_london
23rd March 2007, 08:08 PM
how about a MY77 Dato 120Y Sunny wearing a Nissan 350z badge, would that get the approval : )

OPC
26th March 2007, 10:52 AM
hehehehe prob not...

aussie_in_london
26th March 2007, 06:29 PM
The 120Y, the everyones first car if you was born in the early to mid 70's, my neighbour had one and i use to take it up to the fields near us and paddock bash it when i was 14 : )

OPC
26th March 2007, 06:47 PM
i ran a sleeper a while ago... had an FJ20 in it... woohoo baby did it haul