PDA

View Full Version : Mazda engine falls out of car!

JasonGilholme
15th March 2007, 11:04 AM
Seems like broken engine mounts are becoming a common thing with stock Mazda 3 MPS's.

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=65861.0
http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=3b7011e4b0001413030ad6c7be94f0 ea&topic=63851.0

Not good at all!

The second like has better pictures and looks to be the worst out of the too.

Jase

xplosv57
15th March 2007, 11:18 AM
LOL quality car, they would have to put out a recall for that!!!

JasonGilholme
15th March 2007, 11:23 AM
I'd hope so. Unless they're gonna put it in the maintenance schedule like Opel did with the timing belts instead of fixing the cam gears instead. lol What a joke that was.

RudeOne
15th March 2007, 11:25 AM
Hrmm thats not good hey!!

MatsHolden
15th March 2007, 11:59 AM
That is just piss poor, in this day and age.

Ishley
15th March 2007, 12:22 PM
Oh dear! Not what you should expect from a $40,000+ car.... WARING ALL MPS3 OWNERS, DONT DRIVE IT HARD THE CAR CANT HANDLE IT!! :p

JasonGilholme
15th March 2007, 12:24 PM
Just note that both instances shown its been the same mount (transmission mount)

I hope the other mounts aren't like that.

luvpsi
15th March 2007, 12:25 PM
must be all that power eh...:D

oneightoo
15th March 2007, 12:26 PM
so does this reignite the hot hatch debate?

this is not a good thing for mazda..

JasonGilholme
15th March 2007, 12:37 PM
so does this reignite the hot hatch debate?

this is not a good thing for mazda..

It'll be hot if the engine hits the ground at speed at catches fire! :P

oneightoo
15th March 2007, 12:41 PM
It'll be hot if the engine hits the ground at speed at catches fire! :P

BWAHAHAHAHA

Boom tish ! :p

rusole21
15th March 2007, 12:43 PM
thats crazy and scary eh

Wraith
15th March 2007, 12:45 PM
That's what you get when you have too much power LOL :D

I read about this sort of problem a while back on the local ozmazda forum.

A few of the guys there have fitted stronger aftermarket mounts.

Seeing that it's only happened to a few out of the many that are out there, I wouldn't be too worried, I think it's a case of extreme abuse on the car, rather than a 'normal' failure/breakdown.

I've seen broken engine mounts on heaps of different types of cars, even Calibra's and Corolla's, so I wouldn't go bagging Mazda's ;)

It's definitey something that'll be covered by warranty and maybe Mazda might indeed do a recall of cars or refit something better/stronger at the next sheduled service call :)

OPC
15th March 2007, 12:54 PM
i broke 2 engine mounts on my old turbo astra because it had too much power but the engine never fell out...

Tfer
15th March 2007, 03:38 PM
But seriously in this day and age.... you would think with all the technology available, something important like an engine mount (not a power window switch) would be designed right :rolleyes:

But its probably not just Mazda though..... they will be others :(

Sort of like the Class Action in the States with Honda..... for having incorrect odometers..... which actually record more distance than the vehicle has travelled, hence quicker to the service intervals, and more money made quicker..... this has cost Honda reportedly millions of dollars..... fools :rolleyes:

Noir
15th March 2007, 04:05 PM
That is just piss poor, in this day and age.

Indeed. Could not have put it better myself.

entice
15th March 2007, 05:24 PM
many other cars have made it from the showroom to the track, and havent experienced these issues...rx8's, wrx's, sti's (yes there was cyl meltdown with early sti's due to aus crap fuel). the MPS is marketed as a performance car... even if he thrashed it on the road, it should still be covered...even if he was flatsifting, it should be covered...it just shouldnt happen.

rjastra
15th March 2007, 05:27 PM
Seeing that it's only happened to a few out of the many that are out there, I wouldn't be too worried, I think it's a case of extreme abuse on the car, rather than a 'normal' failure/breakdown.

A few off ONE forum.... extrapolate that to the general population. It may end up being a signficant number of cars. And the cars had quite low mileage on them.

OPC
15th March 2007, 06:45 PM
with the money saved on crappy interior they coulda used it for stronger engine mounts

Shaun
15th March 2007, 07:31 PM
Wonder if they are the Same Engine Mounts that are Used in the MPS6 ???
It could well be the case as the MPS 6 is using all four Wheels to transfer the Power and the MPS3 is using only two of the wheels. the engine mounts would be flexing more because of this and causing them to break. Its not uncommon though with new Vehicles. My SRi T has engine Mount issues when i 1st got it. but never had them again. Could be many things. Bad Batch of mounts .

dug74
15th March 2007, 08:05 PM
Well only time will tell....when my car is due for the 10K service, which is very soon...i will ask them to check it out.

And it wasnt the engine mount...it was the trannie mount.

Either way...it still shouldnt happen and mazda may have to spend some dollars and fix the problem on their *hot* hatch.

Cheers
DUG74

Shaun
15th March 2007, 08:18 PM
Well only time will tell....when my car is due for the 10K service, which is very soon...i will ask them to check it out.

And it was the engine mount...it was the trannie mount.

Either way...it still shouldnt happen and mazda may have to spend some dollars and fix the problem on their *hot* hatch.

Cheers
DUG74

Most Engine Mounts and Transmisson Mounts are shared

platypus
16th March 2007, 08:54 AM
and thats where the AWR market is!!!

stupid expectations of customers!

Vectracious
16th March 2007, 09:24 AM
So they'll release an updated component and replace them as customers come into service. Big deal.

He probably broke the mount because he was driving like a d*ckhead.

JasonGilholme
16th March 2007, 09:47 AM
You build a car with that much power you build all the components to handle it. Doesn't matter whether he was driving like a dcik head or not.

Doesn't matter how he was driving. Other companies can make engine mounts that don't break why can't they??

Vectracious
16th March 2007, 09:53 AM
You build a car with that much power you build all the components to handle it. Doesn't matter whether he was driving like a dcik head or not.

Doesn't matter how he was driving. Other companies can make engine mounts that don't break why can't they??

What, so the 3 is the only car that has ever had engine mounts break?

And as Wraith said, it's only happened to a couple of cars on ONE forum - doesnt exactly taint the whole lot of them....

JasonGilholme
16th March 2007, 11:01 AM
I'm not sayin that mate. I know other companies have engine mounts break.

In fact it happens ALL the time! its just that if you make a powerful engine you make the mounts to cope thats all i'm sayin.

and OEM mounts can take a thrashing. Theres plenty of drag cars that have double the OEM power output with standard mounts still.

Also, you're right, its only from one forum but ALL mazda owners aren't apart of that forum. You should look at things as a percentage to get a better idea of how much of a problem it is.

Similiar things happen with all manufactures. Opel can't make ignition barrels that don't seize up, daewoo can't make safe cars, honda can't make cars with low down torque and mazda can't make cars that have strong engine mounts.

Facts of life mate.

JasonGilholme
16th March 2007, 11:03 AM
And it wasnt the engine mount...it was the trannie mount.

As said, the mounts are shared.

Still, it holds the engine in the engine bay doesn't it?? Thats why the ENGINE fell out..

Vectracious
16th March 2007, 11:08 AM
You should look at things as a percentage to get a better idea of how much of a problem it is.

So then we'll wait and see if Mazda releases a recall or even just a field campaign to replace mounts in the 3-MPS.

Mr T
16th March 2007, 11:26 AM
He probably broke the mount because he was driving like a d*ckhead.

You dont spend $40K+ on a 190KW, 1400KG car to drop the kids off at kindergarten...

...That said, it's not the first time Joe Public has been let down by under-engineered motor vehicles...may I remind people of VTII and VX LS1's Piston Slap, or perhaps even BA XR6-T's Drive Line or Astra G's Water Pumps, or even Holdens old ecotek 3.8L (1988-2005) that needed a rear main seal replaced on average every 110,000KM.

As much as I'd like to take the opportunity to kick some sand in Mazda's face, no motor car is perfect.

Vectracious
16th March 2007, 11:37 AM
...That said, it's not the first time Joe Public has been let down by under-engineered motor vehicles...may I remind people of VTII and VX LS1's Piston Slap, or perhaps even BA XR6-T's Drive Line or Astra G's Water Pumps, or even Holdens old ecotek 3.8L (1988-2005) that needed a rear main seal replaced on average every 110,000KM.

Exactly.

And I will retract my "he was driving like a d*ckhead" statement because neither I or anyone else knows how he was driving - it might have happened going to Kindergarten or it might have happened on the 7th repeated full throttle launch while trying to impress his mates (and I know the 3MPS has computer limited torque in 1st and 2nd). If it happens to enough cars - Mazda will act like any other responsible manufacturer and fix it.

You dont spend $40K+ on a 190KW, 1400KG car to drop the kids off at kindergarten...

Glenn, you'd be surprised..... :)

rjastra
16th March 2007, 11:39 AM
As much as I'd like to take the opportunity to kick some sand in Mazda's face, no motor car is perfect.

None of the other examples you mentioned are potentially life threatening.

rusole21
16th March 2007, 11:53 AM

thats true and for those unlucky enough not to drive one yet. stop fartin around and drive one. they are incredible!!

Mr T
16th March 2007, 11:58 AM

Ok, I'll give you some more:

VE recall on rear seat belt attachment
Hi-Lux engine hook that rattles loose and jams the throttle open
Avalon airbags that go off when hitting a large pot hole
And countless others that are not currently recite-able

Glenn, you'd be surprised..... :)

HAHA...well the mighty SRi-T doesn't get much of a workout anymore...now with the young bloke and all...!!!

RudeOne
16th March 2007, 12:36 PM

exactly - i sat in my HOLDEN dealership and heard 3 people come in for DIFF warranty on their VT commo in 10 mins!!!!!!!!!!!

BUT in Australia we probably have only 400 mps'3 on the road if 10 mounts break thats a 2.5% failure rate, thats probably to high by mazda's standard who have generally built good quaility cars - but its also a safety issue! peoples lives are at risk

When the water pump dies in an astra and the motor blows there is a small risk of injury

When the engine drops in your mazda doing something stupid your risk is increased by 10 times.

My feeling is that Mazda only realsed the mps3 as a reaction to HOLDEN, ford and VW. and probably didn't spend the time and money as the other companies did.

I hope this is not the first issue of many for the mps3

Shaun
16th March 2007, 05:10 PM

Shit the day the build the Perfect car im out of a Job as it wont require parts anymore....
HEHE

Couldnt agree with this more. As i said it could be a Bad Batch of Mounts.

platypus
17th March 2007, 11:17 AM
xr6t boost cut while your on the wrong side of the road????

its happened many times!!!! and was a field recall

audi jacks failing as did opel jacks made in the same factory????

sure lets have a car fall on us??

1/4 engine mounts failing scary but the others should cope - unfotunently joe public wouldn't notice the prob until the engine did fall out!

jerrypufflewell
17th March 2007, 12:48 PM
audi jacks failing as did opel jacks made in the same factory????

sure lets have a car fall on us??

Never rely on just a jack :p
Offtopic: Which Opels did this affect? Just wondering as the jack in mine isn't the original one it's a different shape to the foam mould...

*cough* TR Astra Child Restraints *cough*

platypus
17th March 2007, 05:02 PM
Never rely on just a jack :p
Offtopic: Which Opels did this affect? Just wondering as the jack in mine isn't the original one it's a different shape to the foam mould...

*cough* TR Astra Child Restraints *cough*

i forgot that, since it didn't affect my car :p

double checked that since i have a child seatie in mine!!

i don't know that the opels had a field campaign, but i have had mine replaced as it has collapsed on me!! funnily enough i'd just removed the jack stand!!

new one does't fit mine properly either!!

blueraven
17th March 2007, 07:26 PM
funny actually, today was the first time i have seen an mps while driving, and there were 2, one red one black within about an hour of each other.

the black and i had a bit of a play.

Dont worry, i out gunned him...but he was definately way too close to comfort for a "stock" car :D
(gonna give him the benefit of the doubt that it was stock :) cos it prolly was)