PDA

View Full Version : 1 less Opel in The Family :(

KID_SRi
15th March 2007, 07:34 AM
Yesterday @ 2:20pm my Mum had a Accident in her XC Barina with a Trailer on a Truck.
Her LHD Front clipped the back of the Trailer, causing the Tyre to burst & spinning the Car into the side of the Trailer. The LHD Guard is non existent, The Gearbox is shattered & from her describstion the LHD Front Suspension is Gone too. It was a 50km/h Impact & The Airbags didn't deploy, F*ck knows why it didn't. Her Chest took all the Impact giving her a Broken Sternum & Slightly bruised Heart.
Later on I'm going to where its been towed too so I can have a Look, As well as get a few Pics which I'll post up Later.
But it has me Stumped why the bags didn't deploy?
If it is written off, She might get a AH 2.2 SRi
She feels more upset because it was the Last Thing my Dad bought her before he Died.

Pics to Follow.

rjastra
15th March 2007, 08:10 AM
The airbags didn't deploy because the control unit didn't think it was necessary.

The other injuries where from the pretensioner seatbelts and being thrown about.

If she didn't hit her head on the steering wheel then the airbag didn't need to deploy

KID_SRi
15th March 2007, 08:17 AM
Her Chest hit the Steering Wheel. She has a Holden Lion imprint on her Chest, As she is Short(5ft 1") & Has the Seat pretty far forward.
I'm glad she wasn't injured any worse. As for the Car. It can be replaced, Mum can't.

InsaneAsylum
15th March 2007, 08:24 AM
glad to hear your mum's on her way to recovery, it's a shit thing to happen to the poor little barina, and although it had sentimental value, the main thing is that your mum's still here.

Wraith
15th March 2007, 08:58 AM
Sorry to hear about this......

Glad to see your mum's o.k. that's the main thing with any accident.

In the end it might all work out good if you end up with a new Astra :)

Lt Ketch
15th March 2007, 09:25 AM
Crash - Bad
Mum Alive - Good

Hope she makes a quick recovery!

Vectracious
15th March 2007, 09:44 AM
Sorry to hear about that Glen - glad to hear that at the end of the day your mum is OK and here. :)

All the best for a speedy recovery. :)

Tfer
15th March 2007, 09:48 AM
Hey Kid_SRi..... sorry to hear about your Mum and her injuries, but boy oh boy, glad she is still with us :)

The car can be replaced, but your Mum cannot..... fingers crossed for a speedy receovery :)

J
15th March 2007, 10:33 AM
KID_SRi: Praying for your Mum's speedy full recovery. Thank God...it could've been a lot worse...

xplosv57
15th March 2007, 11:27 AM
If you say you mum sits forward in the car, then it actually may have been a good thing the airbag didn't deploy, may have caused more injury!!!

Hope she makes a quick recovery, all the best!!!!

JasonGilholme
15th March 2007, 11:36 AM
I agree with xplosv57. If she's sitting close enough for the steering wheel to hit it before the pre-tensioners have an effect then she's lucky the air bag didn't go off.

The airbag initially fills with a gas that is extremely hot but cools extremely quickly. If she hits the bag before its fully deployed she'll be getting a face full extremely hot gas which will definately cause more pain then taking a steering wheel in the chest.

Also, if she hit her chest on the wheel she should be capable of moving the chair back. i'd be more worried about her head hitting the windscreen if she's THAT close.

Anyway, good to hear that she's ok. Still a painful experience both emotionally and physically but at the end of the day she's still alive and thats all that matters.

Post some pics asap.

KID_SRi
15th March 2007, 12:59 PM
Direct Side On View
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/KID_SRi/100_0105.jpg

Standing Side View
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/KID_SRi/100_0106.jpg

Front On View
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/KID_SRi/100_0108.jpg

Broken Lower Control Arm & Drive Shaft.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/KID_SRi/100_0109.jpg

Close View of Lower Control Arm and Subframe
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/KID_SRi/100_0110.jpg

Top View of Engine Bay showing Broken Engine Mount.(Note Engine on Angle)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/KID_SRi/100_0111.jpg

KID_SRi
15th March 2007, 01:01 PM
If they Fix it, It will take 4-6 weeks.
But the Passenger Door is shifted back as well.
So Fingers Crossed its OK.
But I'm Glad my Mum was OK, Now she is in Hella Pain.

Misguidedangel
15th March 2007, 01:04 PM
It'll buff right out :eek:

So not cool... I didn't think it was that bad until i saw the pics... GEEEEZZZ,
Glad that your mother is okay.

JasonGilholme
15th March 2007, 01:20 PM
damn that fender looks like crumpled up paper.

If the door is moved back the car may havea bent chassis.

Noir
15th March 2007, 01:50 PM
Glad to hear your mum will be okay. Could have been so much worse.

Sentimental hurts.

Ishley
15th March 2007, 02:38 PM
Glad to hear your mum is ok! My sister had the same kind of accident about 3 weeks ago in her Lancer. But they were hit on the drivers side, both front airbags went off. $11500 damage the insurance company is going to fix it. She has deceided to trade it in when she gets it back, on an AH SRi 5 door (she likes my car so much, but needs an auto).

Hope they dont fix your mum's car, bacause you will always wonder if something is on the verge of breaking...

Greg K
15th March 2007, 02:54 PM
hey matey, hope your mum has a speedy recovery! cars can be fixed or replaced...

better the airbags didnt deploy as they tend to cause more injuries unless its a head-on collision.

might be better to get a new car mate, as which a bent chassis, you dont know how well they can straighten it..

KID_SRi
15th March 2007, 05:16 PM
Thanks for ya Kind Messages Everyone.
I hope they write it off, As I'm a Spraypainter by Trade I can see that it will be hard to fix. Even the Rear Bar on the Left looks like its moved as well.
I was expecting it to be bad considering a Barina hitting a Truck @ 50km/h.
Mums hoping if it does get written off. Thats if insurance pays enough to get atleast another Barina same as she has, NOWAY is she getting a TK Korean Sh*tbox.

JasonGilholme
15th March 2007, 05:40 PM
If she did the same thing in a TK barina then she would definately be in more serious state right now.

KID_SRi
15th March 2007, 05:43 PM
If she did the same thing in a TK barina then she would definately be in more serious state right now.

Thats exactly what My Sister said aswell.
The TK was tested as the Most Unsafe Car in Aus.

Tfer
15th March 2007, 05:46 PM
Thats exactly what My Sister said aswell.
The TK was tested as the Most Unsafe Car in Aus.

Yet another reason to get the Opel Corsa D to Australia.... but alas as everyone keeps saying, won't happen :(

pred8r
15th March 2007, 08:07 PM
Just a thought..... if your mum sits that close to the wheel, if it did go off the bag itself may cause her serious damage.

Meaning if the bag inflates INTO her. As opposed to airbag inflating and you hit pillow.

MatsHolden
15th March 2007, 09:50 PM
yeh that's a bugger mate... personally i'd want my insurance company to write it off, it'll never be the same.

JasonGilholme
16th March 2007, 09:53 AM
Just a thought..... if your mum sits that close to the wheel, if it did go off the bag itself may cause her serious damage.

Meaning if the bag inflates INTO her. As opposed to airbag inflating and you hit pillow.

Agree

yeh that's a bugger mate... personally i'd want my insurance company to write it off, it'll never be the same.

and Agree

KID_SRi
16th March 2007, 05:21 PM
Well much to my Dismay, Its getting Repaired.
But I rang the Insurance & It will be fixed & my Repairer, So It will be OK.
To be Honest, It will be better than it rolled off the line.

KID_SRi
20th March 2007, 05:14 PM
Update on the This Ordeal, The Car has been Written off. Suspension Damage was too Great for a Safe Repair. So Mum has to work out her Finances, With a Lil bit of help from me she might get a Astra SRi Or CDTi.

PaulyJ
20th March 2007, 05:21 PM
Glenn, sorry to hear about this.
Very glad to hear your mum wasn't injured anymore than she already was. I hope that she makes a speedy recovery. This really is the last things she needs at the moment.
If you need any help, you got my number mate.

MatsHolden
20th March 2007, 05:22 PM
I'm glad they wrote it off mate, I know it was more than just a car for the reasons you mentioned earlier but still...

btm
20th March 2007, 05:48 PM
good result - i wouldn't have wanted the car back on the road if it was mine

KID_SRi
23rd March 2007, 06:36 PM
As the her Car has been written off, Mum & I bought another XC Barina.
A MY05 3dr, Exactly the same as the old one except it has the MP3 Headunit.
Its done 21,000 Ex Holden Company Car all for $12750. So thats about $5000 cheaper than a Dealer Advertised Example. She bought from The Holden Clearance Centre in Ringwood(Part of Patterson Cheney) It had $13990 Driveaway, But I played his Heart Strings & got it for $12750 Driveaway.
So I'm Happy and Mum is Extremly Happy.

So if anyone wants a Parcel Shelf for a XC Barina, I have a Spare as Mum took it out of the old one, as she had her Whippet in back when she crashed.

cdxi
26th March 2007, 10:26 AM
Safe journeys in the new XC - to your Mum and all who travel with her.

Cheers matey

KID_SRi
5th April 2007, 05:55 PM
I picked up the Semi New XC this arvo.
The MP3 Radio is pain in the arse to use.