PDA

View Full Version : Astra SRI Turbo OR HSV VXR

Vectra V6
8th March 2007, 10:45 PM
I am looking to piss off the veccy after all the countless issues I have had with it. Looking to purchase either the Astra SRI Turbo or HSV VXR. I have looked at the Golf R32 & Mazda 3 MPS but I prefer the look of the astra. Just wondering if anyone has had any issues with either of the two cars above? Are there any cambelt issues or mechanical faults that the Vectra B was famous for?

Also what are the rough on road costs for both models in NSW and what would you prefer?

Thanks for your help guys.....

MatsHolden
8th March 2007, 10:49 PM
I'd go the SRi-T, purely because it is way too good value to pass up. Seeing people getting them for 35k or less drive away brand new is unbelievable. And they drive beautifully, I try to drive it once a week to get my power fix after driving the 1.4 all week. lol

vectraguy01
8th March 2007, 10:50 PM
i havent had any cambelt problems with my vectra, if i was to buy 1 of those cars ur after i would go for the R32 Golf, AWD, powerful engine and responses well.

MatsHolden
8th March 2007, 10:51 PM
i havent had any cambelt problems with my vectra, if i was to buy 1 of those cars ur after i would go for the R32 Golf, AWD, powerful engine and responses well.

And $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

PaulyJ
8th March 2007, 10:56 PM
As good as the R32 is, its over-priced for what it is IMHO.
As Mat said, value for money, the SRi.

Vectra V6
8th March 2007, 10:57 PM
I was leaning towards the SRI. The R32 is too pricey for me.... So you can get it on road for less then 35k? That is value for money...

MatsHolden
8th March 2007, 11:02 PM
I was leaning towards the SRI. The R32 is too pricey for me.... So you can get it on road for less then 35k? That is value for money...

Yeh, obviously gotta play it tough with them, but it has been done.

jsantos
8th March 2007, 11:15 PM
mine was 35,900 drive away with parking sensors and window tint.
I have had no problems with it at all, There are times where i wish i had more power, and there are times where i scare the bejesus out of myself. So the call to get a VXR is going to be entirely personal for you on how much the power and presence is worth to you in terms of $$ clearly it's the better car, it's also almost 10k more?

Vectra V6
8th March 2007, 11:20 PM
mines was 35,900 drive away with parking sensors and window tint.
I have had no problems with it at all, There are times where i wish i had more power, and there are times where i scare the bejesus out of myself. So the call to get a VXR is going to be entirely personal for you on how much the power and presence is worth to you in terms of $$ clearly it's the better car, it's also almost 10k more?

Thanks man, what dealer did you get if from? I want to get the max $$ for a trade in too......

jsantos
8th March 2007, 11:46 PM
Barry Smith Holden in Pennant Hills,

If you are looking for max $ i would recomend two transactions, buy the car seperate to selling the other one.

Shaun
8th March 2007, 11:46 PM
depends on what you want. If you want something thats quick and fun but thats at a reasonable price go for the SRi T. if you want something thats extra Quick and thats more of a drivers car then go for the VXR.

No matter what is said here it comes down to what you want , confitable with on the repayments and what is more appealing to you .
People will say SRi T others will say VXR.

Buy what your happy with. not with what others on a forum think you should buy because at the end of the day your paying for it and they arent. if you buy something then think to your self i i shouldnt have listened to what others said you will kick your self later .

1OPL2C
8th March 2007, 11:59 PM
nothing sounds better then a r32 flying :) it puurrrssss

Wraith
9th March 2007, 01:42 PM
What is your budget ??? That's the main issue here.....

If money is no object, buy the one you prefer the most, regardless of cost.....

If your after value for money and don't wanna go to high, then as Matt's stated, the AH Sri t is the best option.....although I dare say the Xr5 is also in there.

IMHO the VXR is overpriced by at least 6-7k, maybe search for a 6-12 month old good s/h example in the in the near future.

Hands down, best value for money wise car you've mentioned is the MPS 3, but if you really don't like it's looks, no need to consider it.

JR
9th March 2007, 04:14 PM
value for money n good looks - SRi T hands down :D

maloo97
9th March 2007, 06:40 PM
How about a Audi S3 Quattro

Drove one today AWESOME!

Vectra V6
9th March 2007, 06:43 PM
Thanks to all....

I had a look at both at the dealer today, didn't have time for a test drive. I was offerred the SRI Turbo for 34800 on road and the VXR for 43500 on road. Though the VXR is for the demo which is a red, I am after either the black or blue. Going for a test drive tomorrow, hopefully I will know where I stand, though they both look as good as each other...... I also think the insurance premium will also sway my decision....

MatsHolden
9th March 2007, 06:53 PM
$34,800 on the road is great straight up...

On the demo VXR... personally wouldn't buy a car that has had it's wheels driven off, even though there'd be more than likely nothing wrong at all with it, but still would rather by a car that only I know how has been driven..

Richard
9th March 2007, 07:29 PM
I got myself a VXR, TBH it was worth every penny.

What makes the VXR unique is the number they bring every year as more people realise this they become harder to find, so i doubt you can pick and choose your colors and i heard that blue is almost impossible to find at the moment.

Ishley
9th March 2007, 07:33 PM
I have no regrets buying my SRiT, awesome little package. I was lucky enough to pick mine up for $33800 drive away, simply unbeatable :)

Blue_Dvl
9th March 2007, 08:30 PM
i was quite partial to the VXR until i visited the motorshow, and enquried with the HSV personnel about whether there was an option for satnav....... i was politely told to purchase a NAVMAN :clap:

MatsHolden
9th March 2007, 08:51 PM
i was quite partial to the VXR until i visited the motorshow, and enquried with the HSV personnel about whether there was an option for satnav....... i was politely told to purchase a NAVMAN :clap:

NAVMAN or other aftermarket sat nav systems are often much better than the some of the integrated OEM ones...

But I don't think no sat-nav will turn off the majority of customers who will buy this car, as they are mainly concerned with it's performance and handling side of things.

RudeOne
12th March 2007, 11:35 AM

What makes the VXR unique is the number they bring every year as more people realise this they become harder to find, so i doubt you can pick and choose your colors and i heard that blue is almost impossible to find at the moment.

MY GOD SILVER VXRS ARE HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! post some full size pics mate! looks awesome!

Wraith
12th March 2007, 12:54 PM
MY GOD SILVER VXRS ARE HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! post some full size pics mate! looks awesome!

Totally agree ;)

I too have mentioned this several times - both AH VXR and Sri t look their best in star silver !!!

Apex
12th March 2007, 02:21 PM

Nice choice:clap: ….we need some of those flash looking pictures posted in the Members rids section!!

OPC
12th March 2007, 07:03 PM
silver looks dirty... IMO

Vectra V6
12th March 2007, 07:43 PM
I'm probably going to put a deposit down on a blue VXR on Wednesday. Considering I am under 25 the insurance is fairly reasonable. I will be dealing with the dealer who puts the best offer on the table. I am consistently getting a valuation of 8k for my car, which i am satsfied with, given the condition the car is in. So far i have had a cross over price of 38k but I know i can bring that down a touch more... considering on road is 48k

Thaks alot for your help guys.....

carby650
12th March 2007, 09:42 PM
Newbe here and apologies for hijacking this thread.
I am going through the process of buying an Astra for the missus and with both of us being rev heads we wanted something wiht a bit of power.
I am tossing up over the SRIt or the diesel turbo. gotta say the diesel is a better car power wise. (110kw and 360nm) but is a bit bland as far as road looks.
Never having owned an Astra before (I'm a LS1 owner) I'm after a tad bit of help from the pros. !!

Wraith
13th March 2007, 12:52 PM
I am going through the process of buying an Astra for the missus and with both of us being rev heads we wanted something wiht a bit of power.
I am tossing up over the SRIt or the diesel turbo. gotta say the diesel is a better car power wise. (110kw and 360nm) but is a bit bland as far as road looks.
Never having owned an Astra before (I'm a LS1 owner) I'm after a tad bit of help from the pros. !!

Welcome and good to see yet another LS1 owner - there are a few of us here :)

As for the above, go for the one 'YOU' prefer the most, they're both good....

People here will only give you their own opinions based on what their preference is, so just follow your own likes/dislikes/needs.

Obviously being a V8 owner I can understand your preference to the oiler, with it's superior torque, (I believe they are 320 or 340nm stock ??) but they run out of puff over 3000rpm rev wise.

You'll also get great frugality with the oiler and cheaper at the bowser for the diesel fuel.

Also keep in mind that there is a re-map already available locally for the diesel Astra engine - it puts power and torque up to 147kw and 420nm respectively :)

That might be the go ;)

Wraith
13th March 2007, 01:01 PM
silver looks dirty... IMO

That's fair enough, each to their own with colour choices, however I must say silver hides dirt and even scratches better than any other colour....how then does it look dirty when clean :confused:

From what I've heard from people with Arden blue VXR's it was a choice based on the colour's exclusivity to the VXR model and not really because it's the best looking colour - problem is, it seems most VXR's sold have been in Arden blue, so it's the most common colour of that model around ;)

I say go different to the rest of the pack - star silver or red :)

bones
13th March 2007, 02:40 PM
I too have mentioned this several times - both AH VXR and Sri t look their best in star silver !!!
I got Star Silver because that was the car the deal was based on. It is the last colour in the current range that I would have chosen. Yes, it is very practical but it is kind of bland on such a great looking car.

I think the big difference you will notice is in the suspension. The CDTi doesn't have the Turbo's IDSplus system [continuous damping control and stuff] and it only has 16" wheels as standard. Tom Walkinshaw's new start-up in the Elfin Factory in Melbourne is also doing some pretty cool mod's for Astra Turbos [see this month's Wheels or Motor]. You can get the mod's done incrementally and when your done you'll have a seriously hot car. From the sound of it, the suspension mods will work with any model Astra.
I just bought an SRi, which has the same chassis set-up as the diesel, and I am really happy with the handling, and especially the ride quality that goes with it. I suppose you would need to drive each to decide for yourself because I think you could be happy with either.

Richard
13th March 2007, 07:32 PM
As requested you can find the full size pics of my VXR on this website
http://felixr.blogspot.com/ they are the same pics just bigger :angel:

I had a friend bring his 'Hi-tech' Camera one night we went cruising these pics were taken outside an industrial complex in Silverwater.

carby650
13th March 2007, 08:13 PM
Welcome and good to see yet another LS1 owner - there are a few of us here :)

As for the above, go for the one 'YOU' prefer the most, they're both good....

People here will only give you their own opinions based on what their preference is, so just follow your own likes/dislikes/needs.

Obviously being a V8 owner I can understand your preference to the oiler, with it's superior torque, (I believe they are 320 or 340nm stock ??) but they run out of puff over 3000rpm rev wise.

You'll also get great frugality with the oiler and cheaper at the bowser for the diesel fuel.

Also keep in mind that there is a re-map already available locally for the diesel Astra engine - it puts power and torque up to 147kw and 420nm respectively :)

That might be the go ;)

thanks very much for your welcome and assistance.
Looking more then likely the Oiler will be the go. Can always wack a body kit and 17's on if I want and the idea of the re-map sounds sensational.

Geebs
13th March 2007, 09:24 PM
That's fair enough, each to their own with colour choices, however I must say silver hides dirt and even scratches better than any other colour....how then does it look dirty when clean :confused:

From what I've heard from people with Arden blue VXR's it was a choice based on the colour's exclusivity to the VXR model and not really because it's the best looking colour - problem is, it seems most VXR's sold have been in Arden blue, so it's the most common colour of that model around ;)

I say go different to the rest of the pack - star silver or red :)

I gotta say, my old SRI was silver and I loved it. Was not sure about it when buying it and it wasnt really my choice (it was silver or black back in 01). Looked hot when it was clean and looked hot when it was dirty too hehehhe

As for my Blue VXR, one of the reasons I chose it was that it was exclusive, but in my opinion, still think it looks the hottest....

Interesting comment you make about blue being the most common. Would be interesting if anyone here who works at Holden can find out some stats, but I have only seen one other one and that was in Sydney. I have seen a few silver and reds, and a couple of black. Would be interesting to find out how many are out there.... Also know that there are quite afew reds, silver and black ones for sale but hardly any blues?? Maybe this is cause they were the most common sold, dunno. Where are they all though! hehehe

Richard
13th March 2007, 10:21 PM
I originally wanted the blue one... but i was told by the dealer that they were almost impossible to find at the moment with the current allocation, and this came from Suttons Holden.

Red AH SRI T
13th March 2007, 10:27 PM
All Blue VXR's are sold out. No more until the next shipment arrives in MAY.

Geebs
13th March 2007, 11:18 PM
I originally wanted the blue one... but i was told by the dealer that they were almost impossible to find at the moment with the current allocation, and this came from Suttons Holden.

When I got mine, only blue one they could find was in QLD, I paid $600 to bring it down.... Wasnt sure if I should spend it at the time but havent looked back since....

Wraith
14th March 2007, 11:16 AM
I asked the question when I test drove the VXR, they - the dealer - told me 7 out 10 VXR buyers are going for the Arden blue, because it's different to all other Astra colours :)

Hence why there's no more blue one's left, they're the ones that go first.

If you've all noticed, the HSV web site and all adds to do with the VXR here in Oz have changed from the original red promo car colour to Arden blue, this is to reflect the sales situation of the blue being the most popular ;)

I'll bet the next batch ordered will be majority in Arden blue.....

I think the black is the least popular and rarest VXR colour around :rolleyes:

OPC
14th March 2007, 12:11 PM
thread hijack...

black was the rarest color in the G turbo... only because they brought in around 100 i think and they might do the same again

i went with arden blue because i like the color and it stands out in the crowd unlike boring silver or black

Shaun
14th March 2007, 12:41 PM
Hmm should i go for a red instead???

Wraith
14th March 2007, 12:50 PM

That would be my 1st choice - definitely :)

Followed by a close 2nd with the star silver.

IMHO looks better than the blue, stands out more, it'll be more unique, with regards to other VXR's out there and it's a colour that'll never date ! fancy colours always date over time ;)

JohnBu
14th March 2007, 02:36 PM
the only prob i find with flat reads are they show up swirl marks and fade over time... metallics are better in this regard.

see each colour in the flesh and choose from there..

i personally prefer blue, but my silver is certainly hides the dirt and dust well...

could not imagine buying a black car when u cant wast it due to water restrictions.

OPC
14th March 2007, 02:42 PM

That would be my 1st choice - definitely :)

;)

but the red will fade badly with our harsh sun... especially seeing that its a dull red unlike the VE R8 RED which looks awesome...

bones
14th March 2007, 03:24 PM
Puh-leeeese! It's 2007, paint doesn't fade any more. In any case, I had a '73 Falcon for a couple of years that still had a perfect red paint job when I sold it in 1987. Metallic reds used to fade but not solid red.

JohnBu
14th March 2007, 04:29 PM
Puh-leeeese! It's 2007, paint doesn't fade any more. In any case, I had a '73 Falcon for a couple of years that still had a perfect red paint job when I sold it in 1987. Metallic reds used to fade but not solid red.

solid reds wont fad only if its garaged during the day, otherwise it will fade over time, no if or buts about it. of course, if you trade in your car after 5 years, you wont notice it after a wax..

but couldnt live with the swirl marks of a solid colours, with the exception of white.

Wraith
14th March 2007, 05:03 PM
It won't fade if you look after it and if you have a garage and use it, even if it's driven daily, it won't be a problem and as mentioned above the paint used these days is better than old....

I've got a red Cali (we all know how bad the paint on these is) that's 1995 build date, so it's now 12 years old and I've owned it now for 5 years, the original paint is perfect and looks new ! unlike alot of others that are faded, like I said look after it and fading won't be an issue.

Water restrictions shouldn't stop you from buying a dark colour, if that's your favourite choice, I'd hate to have to settle on a colour choice based on that fact alone, that's silly, you'll find a way to keep it clean ;)

Wraith
14th March 2007, 05:10 PM
its a dull red unlike the VE R8 RED which looks awesome...

I do agree with this point, magma red isn't the best looking red around.

I think all the other solid reds used by other manufacturers look better than the Opel magma red, I did hear that they're thinking of going to a new darker shade for future production Astra batches - hopefully they do :)

OPC
14th March 2007, 06:52 PM
I do agree with this point, magma red isn't the best looking red around.

I think all the other solid reds used by other manufacturers look better than the Opel magma red, I did hear that they're thinking of going to a new darker shade for future production Astra batches - hopefully they do :)

yes they actually have done already in england...

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c371/OPCYALATER/arden_blue.jpghttp://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c371/OPCYALATER/red_hot.jpghttp://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c371/OPCYALATER/flame_red.jpghttp://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c371/OPCYALATER/black_sapphire.jpghttp://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c371/OPCYALATER/star_silver.jpg

bones
14th March 2007, 07:23 PM
I really like the metallic red that Mazda have. One of the lads at work has a Mazda6 MPS in red and it looks sensational. I saw a Magma Red CDX Coupe at the dealer when I bought my car. It is the colour I would have chosen until I saw it. Now I think I would probably have gone for Ultra Blue. Does anyone know how different that is from Arden Blue? It looks a bit darker on the website but that is hardly an indication and I haven't seen one on the road.

Red AH SRI T
14th March 2007, 07:49 PM
Ultra blue is a dark navy blue colour.

07 Build and compliance VXR's will be Power Red instead of Magma Red.

Vectra V6
14th March 2007, 10:35 PM
I'm not a big fan of the red and they seem to be the only colour in stock at the moment.
I have managed to negotiate the cost of a VXR to 44000 for an 07 plate arden blue but have to wait till may. Th dealer has a black in stock and is trying to sell that to me but it is a 06 plate and they don't really seem to want to budge too much on the price . I am happy to wait till May.... deposit down....can't wait....

OPC
15th March 2007, 10:58 AM
I'm not a big fan of the red and they seem to be the only colour in stock at the moment.
I have managed to negotiate the cost of a VXR to 44000 for an 07 plate arden blue but have to wait till may. Th dealer has a black in stock and is trying to sell that to me but it is a 06 plate and they don't really seem to want to budge too much on the price . I am happy to wait till May.... deposit down....can't wait....

that's the spirit... id wait also just to get the arden blue...

its only a few months away and well worth the wait...

Wraith
15th March 2007, 12:54 PM
yes they actually have done already in england...

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c371/OPCYALATER/arden_blue.jpghttp://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c371/OPCYALATER/red_hot.jpghttp://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c371/OPCYALATER/flame_red.jpghttp://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c371/OPCYALATER/black_sapphire.jpghttp://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c371/OPCYALATER/star_silver.jpg

That's fantastic, so are these colours going to come here on future VXR's ??

That does look like a nicer darker red :)

That flame red colour I think we already have, it's more like a burgandy.

And yes Mazda 'velocity red' is a superb colour

aussie_in_london
15th March 2007, 10:54 PM
my flame red dont look anything like that colour indicator

Shaun
16th March 2007, 02:32 AM
my flame red dont look anything like that colour indicator

Shanes Red looks better then the Magma red. Are we getting Flame red or Red Hot ?

poita
17th March 2007, 12:49 AM
so much picking on magma red :(:(
only cause wen its faded kinda looks like dog dick pink!

SIMid
18th March 2007, 04:45 PM
so much picking on magma red :(:(
only cause wen its faded kinda looks like dog dick pink!

Talk about slagging the Magma Red constantly in this post (and others). :mad: This never happens in the ClubCalibra forum, we may give our personal opinion, but we never go on like a broken record. Surprised non of the Magma Red owners (except Poita :clap: ) have spoken up!

I've seen the Twintop in Power Red and the difference is so marginal. :rolleyes:

...and for the Magma Red haters, yup, the VXRs here are MM and the SRiTs are MM and the german OPC are, yes! MM as well. :boohoo:

http://i15.tinypic.com/2qb85ee.jpg
http://i18.tinypic.com/47no5sk.jpg
http://i15.tinypic.com/2r53g4g.jpg

Red AH SRI T
19th March 2007, 08:07 AM
Shanes Red looks better then the Magma red. Are we getting Flame red or Red Hot ?

We are getting POWER RED to replace Magma Red.

Starting from AH7.5

Wraith
19th March 2007, 01:21 PM
[QUOTE=SIMid;215544]Surprised non of the Magma Red owners (except Poita :clap: ) have spoken up!

Simon, you need to go back and read 'ALL' the posts LOL :D

I'm a magma red owner and have spoken up defending it :p

But I will also add as previously stated, there are better shades of red out there........just a pity Opel didn't adopt them !

SIMid
19th March 2007, 03:55 PM
*LOL*

If you want a real Red duco, get an Italian car, they have the best reds around! :D

................ back to the topic!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wraith
19th March 2007, 04:54 PM
Speaking of which, I like the new darker metallic red adopted by Ferrari on some of their newer cars - looks sensational....

BTW Simon, have you picked up your new AH Sri t yet ??

I have said it before and I'll say it again, red and silver are best colours IMHO for this and the VXR ;)

poita
19th March 2007, 10:13 PM
dont get me wrong i love the colour, in about 2 mths wen its finished its gonna look 10x better than it ever will.
i do loev the red, just the red callies are prone to fading too much :(

so wat do you buy, SRiT and spend $$ to make it better than the VXR.
i would go that way

Wraith
20th March 2007, 08:45 AM
To make the Sri t better than the VXR is more than possible with the price difference between the 2.....

But because of all the time/effort involved with it, what I'd do is get the VXR in the first place, but unlike what most people here have done, I wouldn't buy it new.

I'd wait and get a 'good' s/h example with low milage and if possible still less than a year old - it'll cost ya at least 5-10k cheaper than the new car price and you then spend that saving on it and it'll be better than both a modded Sri t and a stock VXR, for the same money as a brand new stock VXR ;)