PDA

View Full Version : How did you find out about OA?

DEE-80Y
7th March 2007, 04:41 PM
I'm just curious to find out how everyone here found out about OpelAus.

I saw a OpelAus.com sticker on a Astra (i think, was a while ago) and checked out the website.

And here i am today, posting....

Dee
7th March 2007, 04:43 PM
nfi... way too long ago

i think this is the story:
Tbird was on www.boostcruising.com and i was asking him all sorts of questions, he got sick of it and told me to come here :D

Tfer
7th March 2007, 04:56 PM
Found the site via google :)

Wraith
7th March 2007, 04:59 PM
I found out about this site, whilst being a member of the Cali forums, back in early 2004 I think it was....

I joined up after having purchased my TS Astra t convertible and have never looked back.....now a member of the Vic forums section as well :)

I much prefer/enjoy this forum to the Cali forums, as it is better associated with mutiple car types, not just biased toward one type of car only, much better for a car freak like me who has a broad and varied appreciation of all things cars :)

Lt Ketch
7th March 2007, 04:59 PM
altavista

. . .

Turblue
7th March 2007, 05:16 PM
OpelAus did not actually exist when I was looking for info on the Astra. It was an MSN site/forum when I first found this Aussie Opel site.

From there I became involved in a steering committee. And then, the OA domain was registered. I have been part of maintaining this forum ever since. About 3 1/2 years now.

MatsHolden
7th March 2007, 05:25 PM
Saw a sticker on a car on Cardomain.com

pred8r
7th March 2007, 05:40 PM
Saw an ex-members car - Loved it

Bought same, then tried to find the club, couldnt - then fluked a partially remembered the URL

Ishley
7th March 2007, 05:56 PM
Through Dee! :D

Calibrated
7th March 2007, 06:08 PM
i knew i was moving to Aus from South Africa.
We have opel, and knew that i would have to get used to calling a corsa a Holden Barina..which i just stupid..

so i googled Opel Australia....

and here i am..

EL BURITO
7th March 2007, 06:17 PM
Google..........

auzvectra
7th March 2007, 06:26 PM
got refered when i was on vvoc.com with my veccy.
by wattie and another, cant remember who sorry ;).

Ginge
7th March 2007, 06:37 PM
im with turblue. i was a member from way back when it was on msn forums. when the nsw ppl were nice :P. wiseman ferry cruise's. so memorable. was hard for an apprentice to get to meets 1.5 hours away so couldnt really see ppl much.

sure has grown a little. big thanks to turblue for keeping this site going...

Blue_Dvl
7th March 2007, 06:40 PM
found it by fluke while searching for astra information on google

Insubordinate
7th March 2007, 06:48 PM
google when looking to buy my turbo and info on it...

R3N
7th March 2007, 06:49 PM
came to me in a dream

PaulyJ
7th March 2007, 06:54 PM
Back when i got my car about 4.5 years ago.
In the early stages when there were about 40 members.
Remember doing a search, found it, and joined.
Left for a period of time due to personal reasons, but came back, and am here to stay.

poita
7th March 2007, 06:56 PM
ummm think it was through one of the calibra forums many moons ago

Noir
7th March 2007, 07:20 PM
Jesus told me.

Calibrated
7th March 2007, 07:25 PM
lol @ amanda..

btw, who started opelaus?

poita
7th March 2007, 07:44 PM
i'll lead to beleive the Elder Gods started OA.
also TurBlue may have had something to do with it

PaulyJ
7th March 2007, 08:00 PM
Aus-Sri, and a few others are the founding fathers I believe. Wayne came into it not long afer that, and pretty much has been there from the start.
Those early days... would've never have thought at 40 members it'd turn to this. Hitting 100 members was great.

Dee
7th March 2007, 08:02 PM
Through Dee! :D

nevermind me... i thought it was crispy posting... :o oops

Calibrated
7th March 2007, 08:03 PM
Aus-Sri, and a few others are the founding fathers I believe. Wayne came into it not long afer that, and pretty much has been there from the start.
Those early days... would've never have thought at 40 members it'd turn to this. Hitting 100 members was great.

z00pedup started in 2003....we have almost 2000 paying members..and 5000 odd registered forum users..

Calibrated
7th March 2007, 08:04 PM
we'll see how z00pedup aus does..

hopefully z00pedup and opelaus can work together..seeing as i am an absolute opel nutter..

WLD-18L
7th March 2007, 08:06 PM
bought my car and was looking for an owners club so i could reserch some mods and things ..... plus i wanted to find some enthusiests who also had this brand of car :) majourity of astra owners around my area are 50 yr old women doing grocerie shopping (never had even seen a modded astra befor joining ! i didnt even know they where made by opel untill i joined. was a member on astrasport.co.uk and did a serch for some aussie astra owners found a few who pointed me to this site. now proud to be a part of a group of people who enjoy moding and caring for the opel !

maloo97
7th March 2007, 08:17 PM
Back in 04 when i brought my G i always wanted to get it opelised.
went on ebay brought a badge off a dude and he told me to come here!
Also spotted 1opl2c driving around with the stickers so yeh. woo hoo!
here i am.

nadg63
7th March 2007, 08:38 PM
Someone, (sorry but cannot remember who now ...........!?), on Astra Sport UK noticed I was based in Aus and PM'd me to let me know about OpelAus.

SKM_87
7th March 2007, 08:54 PM
found it when looking for info one my car.

CJB
7th March 2007, 09:02 PM
Found it back when it was an MSN group... I was on other not appropriate MSN group sites, searched for a heap of MSN groups and found it...

digifish
7th March 2007, 10:00 PM
Google.

I was looking for info on an Astra CDTi prior to purchase.

Wraith
8th March 2007, 09:26 AM
OpelAus did not actually exist when I was looking for info on the Astra. It was an MSN site/forum when I first found this Aussie Opel site.

From there I became involved in a steering committee. And then, the OA domain was registered. I have been part of maintaining this forum ever since. About 3 1/2 years now.

So it's not all that old then :)

Sounds like you got it all started and happening around the same time as the 1st Aust. Cali site started around mid 2003 Wayne.

Well done, it's a great site :)

Turblue
8th March 2007, 09:34 AM
About December 2003 is when I got involved.

Greggy
8th March 2007, 09:40 AM
got refered when i was on vvoc.com with my veccy.
by wattie and another, cant remember who sorry ;).

;) You know it makes sense !

I came here from 'big ups' from Bill_G - Regular on VVOC and also on here

Been here 'hard core' since the beginning of the year (been a member since july last year I think) - top bunch of people :D

Dee
8th March 2007, 10:41 AM
;) You know it makes sense !

I came here from 'big ups' from Bill_G - Regular on VVOC and also on here

Been here 'hard core' since the beginning of the year (been a member since july last year I think) - top bunch of people :D

try feb last year

Greggy
The Brit Wit

xplosv57
8th March 2007, 12:16 PM
Yeah i came across it looking for badges on google cos i wanted to be the only Astra on the road with Opel badges, then i found all you evil people, so much for being different hahaha!!!!

xplosv57
8th March 2007, 12:26 PM
Which reminds me, its been a year since i got my car and joined up on here, do i get some sort of prize or something?? hahaha

oneightoo
8th March 2007, 12:38 PM
id known sabs (FYN35T) for a while and she referred me when i bought my SRi..

NXA-16H
8th March 2007, 12:40 PM
Found the site via google :)

*Ditto* :D

NXA-16H

Wraith
8th March 2007, 12:53 PM
About December 2003 is when I got involved.

What a coincidence :eek:

That's exactly the same time I joined up with the 1st Cali forum, after just browsing around as a guest in the background for a couple of months.

It's the first time I got involved with car clubs online and what an addiction it's become, I need my daily dose or I get withdrawl symptoms LOL :)

The Aust. Opel on line forum bridgates have grown heaps since then :)

Snotty
8th March 2007, 02:07 PM
basic run down in the opelaus time line

Originally started back in around early 2003(?) by a guy called tyrone. he was nsw based although nobody met him I think. the site was a very basic old school style bulletin board that had heaps of popups about winning tv's.

the site was then moved around mid 2003 to msn groups where it was called OpelAustralia. still run by tyrone, for a while there was a lot of discussion about moving to a proper forum, but there was alot of discussion about who would pay and paid memberships etc. nothing really ever happened until Hardware Bob offered his hosting capabilities and everyone moved across. the first opelaus "forum" was born. that was late 2003 sometime or early 2004. Tyrone pretty much disappeared at that point.

Hardware Bob looked after the site for a while, then Wayne and crew took over off hadwre bob....

thats the basic rundown. I've always been led to believe that Tyrone was the orignal starter of opelaustralia.

and been a member since just before it moved to msn in 03. up until i was banned by that boofhead with the zafira. lol

GreyRex
8th March 2007, 02:45 PM
I used to always always always go to corsa-c.co.uk, because I basically had never seen a website so big dedicated to just one car. Was probably through random searching... Barina... Corsa... Opel... that I ended up finding this through a search engine. First cruise was in St Kilda in Melb mid last year. Just put my opelaus.com stickers on bout a month ago. Im foooooly a member now mate LOL

R3N
8th March 2007, 03:17 PM
basic run down in the opelaus time line

Originally started back in around early 2003(?) by a guy called tyrone. he was nsw based although nobody met him I think. the site was a very basic old school style bulletin board that had heaps of popups about winning tv's.

the site was then moved around mid 2003 to msn groups where it was called OpelAustralia. still run by tyrone, for a while there was a lot of discussion about moving to a proper forum, but there was alot of discussion about who would pay and paid memberships etc. nothing really ever happened until Hardware Bob offered his hosting capabilities and everyone moved across. the first opelaus "forum" was born. that was late 2003 sometime or early 2004. Tyrone pretty much disappeared at that point.

Hardware Bob looked after the site for a while, then Wayne and crew took over off hadwre bob....

thats the basic rundown. I've always been led to believe that Tyrone was the orignal starter of opelaustralia.

and been a member since just before it moved to msn in 03. up until i was banned by that boofhead with the zafira. lol

wish we still had the chance to win free tvs

poita
8th March 2007, 03:24 PM
i think it was around Feb 04' it changed over, i rememeber bein on the msn forum then it changed over to opelaus.
i've been a member since tehn, a very lacking non inputting member though.
have started up again on it, i couldnt get enough out of only 4 forums lol

luvpsi
8th March 2007, 03:25 PM
i was searching for mods for my car in google (even before i purchased it) and OA come up:D

Misguidedangel
8th March 2007, 03:45 PM
heard bout the forum from Rexnet... months before I actually started talking to anyone on here, mainly getting info on astras for my sister.. little did I know that it would be another 3 years till she actually got one, and I bought one first teehee :D

The older folks on opelaus may remember me as Goldfish Dont Bounce

Dee
8th March 2007, 03:50 PM
OMG that's right....

and it's true - goldfish DON'T bounce...

i was known at 11-SXI for a long long time... since i joined... til probably late last year

KID_SRi
8th March 2007, 10:07 PM
up until i was banned by that boofhead with the zafira. lol
Is thats same Zafira Owner the deleted Accounts for no reason?

I've been here since the dinosaurs, I brought Pauly J Here from MCCR.

PaulyJ
8th March 2007, 10:50 PM
Back in the day when i was known as BLK^BaRiNa
And the zafira dude was Tony aka Godfather

ahhh the good old days...

Vectracious
9th March 2007, 01:13 AM
Ahhh yes the Good Old days - back when I had an Opel as a daily driver.....

Found the site via Google - back in 2004 sometime...

Snotty
9th March 2007, 06:39 AM
Is thats same Zafira Owner the deleted Accounts for no reason?

I've been here since the dinosaurs, I brought Pauly J Here from MCCR.

he did have a reason, he didn't like the people he banned lol....

Back in the day when i was known as BLK^BaRiNa
And the zafira dude was Tony aka Godfather

ahhh the good old days...

the good ol days when you, me, and pete ultim8 used to have spam threads and stuff when there was a no spam policy. go to bed and wake up and all the crap was gone and had to start all over again. hehe